MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #41
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABRIEL View Post
I am not talking about getting lapped. I am talking about battleing it out.

Sounds like you should just give up now and shoot yourself.

Or.............or...........I could just keep doing trackdays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob78 View Post
demoralizing huh....lmao, if your not first your last huh ricky bobby

there is always going to be someone that is better than you at EVERYTHING no matter what, sounds like your looking at the experience the wrong way
Or maybe I'm looking at the experience the right way: I have fun doing trackdays. Why would I want to spend more time and money to get my handed to me so bad that people have passed me TWICE in a sprint race? That's not "ricky bobby" mentality, that's "I don't belong on the track with these guys, I'm a danger to myself and them." Mentality. I get enough of the humbling experience getting passed at trackdays no need to spend additional funds to get a larger serving of humble pie.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I love riding Bevo General Discussion (Moto Related) 42 04-05-2016 11:16 AM
What I really love about riding Squoddybody General Discussion (Moto Related) 38 06-20-2010 04:42 AM
When you made your street bike "TRACK ONLY" why did u buy track/race body work? cdill35 Taking it to the Track 51 10-17-2008 01:19 PM
track riding 954colombia Taking it to the Track 31 07-28-2007 10:06 AM
Race take off's used for street riding ??? Solracer How To's and Q & A's 7 07-28-2005 10:38 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-14-2012, 02:14 PM   #42
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

well, PoPo, if you don't think you would enjoy racing, I am with you, don't do it...
but you already have a TMGP bike, you don't really need to spend much money there...
and TMGP racing will be less than a trackday, and after the first race or two, you will not likely get lapped.... on the 600 you are maybe a little faster than I am and I finish middle of the pack in TMGP, so I am sure that you would do better than that.
no real humble pie to have to eat, and you still get the fun of the race... a different feel than trackday. but then again I have been trying to get your out there all year. I am waiting for you and Kib to get a divorce so one of you will actually show up and quit using the other for an excuse...
Old 09-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #43
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
well, PoPo, if you don't think you would enjoy racing, I am with you, don't do it...
but you already have a TMGP bike, you don't really need to spend much money there...
and TMGP racing will be less than a trackday, and after the first race or two, you will not likely get lapped.... on the 600 you are maybe a little faster than I am and I finish middle of the pack in TMGP, so I am sure that you would do better than that.
no real humble pie to have to eat, and you still get the fun of the race... a different feel than trackday. but then again I have been trying to get your out there all year. I am waiting for you and Kib to get a divorce so one of you will actually show up and quit using the other for an excuse...
I sent him the papers, he won't sign them. He says until everybody has the right to divorce, we can't have one.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 09-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #44
Fastola
Banned

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
06 CBR6er-street

User is banned

Last edited by Fastola; 09-14-2012 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Thunder scared me.
Fastola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #45
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
I sent him the papers, he won't sign them. He says until everybody has the right to divorce, we can't have one.
well, that actually does sound like Kib.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #46
Fast Rat

Wow, lots of misconceptions, but some truths being discussed.

Long-time raceer, first time poster to the motohouston forum.

First question you need to ask yourself....am I interested in racing on a track with others? It is definitely NOT for everyone.

That answer leads you to all the others.

I have children, work in the health field and have seen the worst of the worse that being on a motorcycle on the street offers, I also make a decent living and live within my budget. To make things fair I must admit I only endurance race now, so my costs are split among four very good guys.

Not that you asked, but our typical weekend....trackday Friday for practice...usually split three ways...one guy always rides his own bike for set-up purposes...travel and gas costs go without saying. Enjoy the day and have beers that evening...careful on the quantity though you'll regret it the next morning.

Spend night at track in tent or trailer....kind cool unless your bunkmates name is "huggybear"! Sat. morning register(of course you can do that ahead of tiem and save $10), but it allows us to see what the weather is doing...I can get crazy at times and we're in this for fun and don't want to risk life or limb to race.

Split two rear tires and one front for the race(we ride an old 2006 R1 with traction control...which DOES make a difference on tires)...again gas and etc...are expected expenses...all split.

We race, usually have success and regardless have a blast...one poduium, several 4ths, and so one...think we're 6th overall.

We drink free keg beer after track is vacant and while the awards are being given. We accept our position,. congratulate our competitors and vow to kick thier arses the next time.

We go back to our trailer/tent/etc....always cook 5-7 lbs of fajitas and invite everyone who's hungry. We tell lies about how fast we were and our kids are captivated audience......and yes we may have a few more adult beverages. I might even smaoke a fine cigar.

We hug each other, discuss how we will settle up expenses and leave with more memories from a weekend than most....THAT's the way I chose to live.

I am fortunate enough to have a job that allows me a significant supplimnetal life insurance policy should something happen to me....it's not cheap, but it allows me comfort. My wife, children and entire family know my passion and risks I chose to assume.....that needs to be a serious discussion upfront for sure.

Enough with the BS....go ride! If you chose to come out, and we'd love to have you at any event, stop buy and say hi! #47 Desert Rats Racing

Sincerely,
Derek
Fast Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #47
BaoPee
12 yr old Asian boy

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Rat View Post
Wow, lots of misconceptions, but some truths being discussed.

Long-time raceer, first time poster to the motohouston forum.

First question you need to ask yourself....am I interested in racing on a track with others? It is definitely NOT for everyone.

That answer leads you to all the others.

I have children, work in the health field and have seen the worst of the worse that being on a motorcycle on the street offers, I also make a decent living and live within my budget. To make things fair I must admit I only endurance race now, so my costs are split among four very good guys.

Not that you asked, but our typical weekend....trackday Friday for practice...usually split three ways...one guy always rides his own bike for set-up purposes...travel and gas costs go without saying. Enjoy the day and have beers that evening...careful on the quantity though you'll regret it the next morning.

Spend night at track in tent or trailer....kind cool unless your bunkmates name is "huggybear"! Sat. morning register(of course you can do that ahead of tiem and save $10), but it allows us to see what the weather is doing...I can get crazy at times and we're in this for fun and don't want to risk life or limb to race.

Split two rear tires and one front for the race(we ride an old 2006 R1 with traction control...which DOES make a difference on tires)...again gas and etc...are expected expenses...all split.

We race, usually have success and regardless have a blast...one poduium, several 4ths, and so one...think we're 6th overall.

We drink free keg beer after track is vacant and while the awards are being given. We accept our position,. congratulate our competitors and vow to kick thier arses the next time.

We go back to our trailer/tent/etc....always cook 5-7 lbs of fajitas and invite everyone who's hungry. We tell lies about how fast we were and our kids are captivated audience......and yes we may have a few more adult beverages. I might even smaoke a fine cigar.

We hug each other, discuss how we will settle up expenses and leave with more memories from a weekend than most....THAT's the way I chose to live.

I am fortunate enough to have a job that allows me a significant supplimnetal life insurance policy should something happen to me....it's not cheap, but it allows me comfort. My wife, children and entire family know my passion and risks I chose to assume.....that needs to be a serious discussion upfront for sure.

Enough with the BS....go ride! If you chose to come out, and we'd love to have you at any event, stop buy and say hi! #47 Desert Rats Racing

Sincerely,
Derek
:notwo rthy:

info@halffastgroup.com
BaoPee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #48
rob78
. . . . . . . . .

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Late Model Never-Was

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
Or.............or...........I could just keep doing trackdays.

Or maybe I'm looking at the experience the right way: I have fun doing trackdays. Why would I want to spend more time and money to get my handed to me so bad that people have passed me TWICE in a sprint race? That's not "ricky bobby" mentality, that's "I don't belong on the track with these guys, I'm a danger to myself and them." Mentality. I get enough of the humbling experience getting passed at trackdays no need to spend additional funds to get a larger serving of humble pie.
or you can just keep making excuses about "experience" and "Im not fast enough"

fyi your never gonna be fast enough, none of us ever will
TMGP #78
Team I Just Wanna Ride #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
go ahead and cry so I can use the tears as lubrication to stick it in you
rob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #49
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob78 View Post
or you can just keep making excuses about "experience" and "Im not fast enough"

fyi your never gonna be fast enough, none of us ever will
Not being fast enough is the ultimate excuse if you're a danger to someone else. Otherwise, why split trackdays up into 3 groups?

CMRA #302
Old 09-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #50
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

Thats good and thank you for the awesome post, Derek.
Thank you!
floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #51
Fast Rat

po-po...it's clear, racing is not for you.

rob78...why waste your time?

Bao Pee...that cat in your avatar yours? I have a mean Rat terrier I'll put $5 on in a cage match....but i'm testing for catnip before the match!

PEACE!

D.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #52
Fast Rat

Floyd 600....
U know the deal, I see your "experience"...you get IT. And you look really smoot
h in the avatar, cannot tell where that is!

More importantly...that's one helluva promotion for "free gear" for first time attendees...that's obviously one of the concerns in this thread...cost(associated with whatever I don't have)....any ideas how to spread the wealth of that hook-up?

I post truths and my opinions only...I joke and BS(w people I know) and that's hard to interpret through our chosen social media...typing....but as they say...it is what it is!

I am hear to help promote riding, I don't street ride anymore simply because of the risk. If an ex 15 year Parrkland Hospital ER and Trauma RN opines that racing may be less risky than street riding, you might want to listen. Which is funny with the regards to the cost arguement...what is cost to you. I lowside and spend $1000 on bodywork and repairs, but ride the next race or I gat t-boned, break a femur, have pelvic fx. blood for a month from a bladder contusions, have roadrash and miss work for a month.....hey I'm good with the grand!

Never trying to offend, just inform and try and reason...ride well and have fun....as that's what this sport, regardless of how far you want to tak it is ALL about!

Derek
Old 09-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #53
speedoeffect

Bike(s):
2008 cbr1000rr

Love this thread, might be the little push I need. Racing has been on my bucket list for a long time. Even though I've been riding bikes for decades I've only done 7 or so track days in the last 10 yrs, so I'm not sure if I'm on race pace. (Never timed a lap) Money is a huge factor but I could probably swing a few races a season. It would mean dumping some of my street bikes for a designated racer. Not sure about what class to shoot for, I'm riding a liter now but maybe something smaller would keep cost down. Time is ticking, I'll be 50 in a couple of months. Once again I'm close to pulling the trigger and this might be the thread that makes me do it!
speedoeffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #54
seanpublic

More info, since I might have ignorantly assumed everyone knew what CMRA is..

Main site: http://www.cmraracing.com/
Message Board: http://www.cmraracing.com/ubbthreads/

, Derek, that's some expensive fairings on your bike! You know they make zip-ties and duct tape, right? (Good to see you out and about.. )

Do yourself a favor and forego the laptimer at first. Just "get in the mix" and let it "pull you along". You will shed seconds every lap.
[- USBMOTORSPORTS -|- RaceworX -|- Blevins Paint & Body Shop -|- Dunlop -|- Ty Howard #35 -|- RideSmart -|- LSTD -|- TrackTactics -|- 212Decals.com -|- HighPerformanceCrew.com -]
seanpublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #55
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Rat View Post
Floyd 600....
U know the deal, I see your "experience"...you get IT. And you look really smoot
h in the avatar, cannot tell where that is!

Never trying to offend, just inform and try and reason...ride well and have fun....as that's what this sport, regardless of how far you want to tak it is ALL about!

Derek
thanks! I've been riding track just over a year.. Work and help with RideSmart on getting riders to the track and on the track as an instructor.
I run lap times at MSRH on low 40's (best 41) (that's where that picture is from on my avatar)
I also commute and do my weekend back roads just for fun and getting out.

I would love to start racing but for now I have other prioties..

I've been down before at the track and on the street.. Left to right.. ive seen people break their colar bone at a race day and rode the shopper to waiting for someone to come pick up my dead friend from the side of the road.. Track days are just a hobby for me right now as it is racing for others.. You ain't going to get rich from racing so if you do it do, it for the experience!

Last edited by floyd600; 09-14-2012 at 08:33 PM.
floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #56
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years

Sticky Derek's post, solid gold right there.

and can i ask, Derek who?
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #57
uhaulcma
CMA FASTLANE G.E.T.

Bike(s):
2005 HONDA GOLDWING
KAWASKI VOYAGER XII SOLD
KAWASAKI 800 VULCAN CLASSIC SOLD
2002 KAWASAKI 750 ZR7

LOVED THIS THREAD THANKS TO EVERYONE.
uhaulcma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:28 PM   #58
Fast Rat

CMRA Sean...just saying even a fairly major racing crash is waaaaaayy less expensive than the street alterantive. $1K would cove complete set of bodyworks, set of rearsets and a woodcraft bar..or two...just using and example.

Floyd....dude, that's some heavy stuff....sorry for your experience and loss of a friend....that's exactly why I got off the street. BTW, just because I did it doens't mean you should. Make your own decisions guys. Racing is a little(actually alot) different than street riding. If you ever wonder why they put sliders on boots, come to the track, I'll shpow you why....and I'm not talking about the toe sliders. I'm talking about those ones at the top of the boots!

Speedoeffect and eveyone else....you too po-po. Come out and see what it's about. See for yourself. Talk to the guys(and girls...did I mention the girls) and hang out....we all have similar interests, maybe just not the same goals.

Turned 43 this Summer and going faster than ever with less fanfare and effort. Speedoeffect your on your way at :40's at Houston. What u doing at TWS (Texas World Speedway)? I bet around :51's or better. Keep it up...that's a fantastic pace for endurance. If you get a chance to ride Hallett, take it...it's a blast.

Good luck guys....D. Desert Rats Racing #47
Old 09-14-2012, 09:31 PM   #59
Fast Rat

switch, you can ask but I ain't tellin'........nah....Derek Thomas
Old 09-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #60
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years

oh hey, Desert Rats. i've seen you guys. you probably lapped me at the last TWS (Texas World Speedway) endurance last year
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement