MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #21
CBR_TRAN
Another Short Asian

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2007 Cbr600rr
1972 cb450 (cafe under construction)
2008 Kawasaki 250r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
Read an article in the latest Sport Rider issue... about the 600cc supersports being in terrible decline because of the credit crunch. Back in the bubble days, banks were lending kids (less than 30yr olds) left and right to buy bikes - 600cc supersports were marketed specifically to this demographic. These days, litre bikes are doing much better because they tend to be bought by older, more well-to-do, riders who have the cash or the credit score to quality for loans. That's yet another reason BMW, Ducati, and Aprilia are doing well hawking $15K-20K superbikes.

Mfrs are catching on to this trend. They figure one way to capture the lower end of the marrket - or entry level - is to come out with cheaper bikes that the twenty-somethings can afford... and hopefully still sexy enough for them to after. If they can't buy $11K supersports, maybe $5K 300cc or $6k 500cc are more the ticket.

I hope they are right.
Read this article yesterday as well, makes a lot of sense.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 1971 CB500 Build poor_kid Vintage / Cafe Racers 155 08-19-2014 01:17 AM
CBR500 on the way RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 10-14-2012 03:19 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #22
Bigshankhank

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1972 Aermacchi Sprint SX350
1972 Honda CL175 K5
1978 Kawasaki KE100
1978 Kawasaki KE250
1970 Suzuki TC90

Interestingly, everyone talks about how they stopped producing small bore high-spec sportbikes because it costs just as much to make a liter bike with Ohlins and Brembos as it does a 400cc one, but they can sell the liter bike for twice as much. Why can't they build the bikes ala carte, I like the Ninja 300 but can I upgrade to a USD w/ radial brakes because I want a track bike and don't want to have to upgrade later? Or someone may not need the fancy suspenders because its just a commuter for them so they get the base model, but maybe order it with soft luggage and a better windshield. I am not saying to make them configurable to the point of essentially ordering a motocross bike out of it, but make a series of bike that can be tailored from the manufacturer to suit different needs. Even if they just build a 300 and a 300R and maybe even a 300RR with all the race goodies. The various components come from other suppliers anyway, just pick the right forks off of a different cart in the assembly line. I always thought the Suk SV650 was a perfect platform for this because owners were doing all these mods themselves anyway, why shouldn't the factory just make these options available, anyway?
Bigshankhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #23
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
I'd run errands on that naked. , maybe even hang it out in lightweight at GSS too.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:10 AM   #24
Ares

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Z-rex ZRX1200r
Ninjette 250ex - SOLD :'|
Blondie ZX6R - SOLD :'|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojo92 View Post
It's always fun to ride a slow bike fast.
Agreed. I'm getting ready to hop on 2 wheels again and am thinking of getting a 500 or waiting for the 300.

I was even tracking down an old suzuki 400 standard bike...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
I got the hint and dropped to the back of the ranks just in front of Ares, who btw rocks the outta that 250.
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #25
cychotic
Banned

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months

User is banned

cychotic is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement