MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #21
brian1570
Incognito

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
07 Dynasaur
09 GSXR600(sold)
06 CBR600RR(wrecked)
04 Buell lightning(sold)
08 nightster(sold)

also just figured out i was using the wrong buell model suspension chart, but then i came across a stock chart vs an "aggressive" chart for my model developed by a buell factory test rider.
brian1570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
suspension bioGuru General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 03-18-2009 02:07 PM
Suspension GIXX750TX Performance and Modifications 5 07-02-2008 08:52 AM
suspension robertmayton Performance and Modifications 20 01-25-2007 02:11 PM
Suspension BigComfy Motorcycles Unlimited 0 12-07-2006 09:56 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-14-2012, 12:52 AM   #22
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Sounds like you are on the right track!

The symptoms you describe tell me the front needs to drop or the rear raise, and a little less rebound on the forks for starters.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #23
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1570 View Post

yeah i understand what all the settings do(applied from cars) it's just trying to apply everything to a two wheeled vehicle thats 3000 lb's lighter.

so the factory settings(my starting point) felt too divey under braking, and felt like it rocked back too much on the rear under acceleration. so i guess my main worry is weight transfer.

and the way i see it, i'd rather learn all this stuff myself. give a man a fish, feed him for a day. teach him how to fish, feed him for a life time.
The major difference betwen a car and a bike is that in a car the driver weight is so insignificant that you can setup the car, and anyone (save truly obese people) can hop in, and drive it. Your body weight makes up ~20% of the total package on a bike, and therefore the bike suspension needs to be specifically tailored to you.

A lot of bikes have "factory settings" for a 160 lb. rider tooling around on the street. Not exactly a good starting point for the average 200 lb Texan who wants to rail backroads.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #24
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
A lot of bikes have "factory settings" for a 160 lb. rider tooling around on the street. Not exactly a good starting point for the average 200 lb Texan who wants to rail backroads.
He mentioned he is more towards the 130 end of things me thinks....

Darn light weights...

Wish I could see something close to that 200 lbs on my scale...
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #25
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
He mentioned he is more towards the 130 end of things me thinks....

Darn light weights...

Wish I could see something close to that 200 lbs on my scale...
130 lbs., and the front end has too much dive? Da fuq?
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 09-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #26
brian1570
Incognito

Bike(s):
07 Dynasaur
09 GSXR600(sold)
06 CBR600RR(wrecked)
04 Buell lightning(sold)
08 nightster(sold)

Quote:
130 lbs., and the front end has too much dive? Da fuq?
yeah i know...and prior to that it was too rigid. took the bike out for a romp today and it felt a little better than last time. thanks to the "aggressive" settings i found. narrowed the chicken strips by about 1/4" or so. and that was with having to work around traffic. front end is wobbling again, but not till about 100+, before it would be at 80. took it down a real bumpy/curvy road to see how it felt. cornering at ~60-70 mph feels pretty stable. i'm really getting to the point to tune it any further i'm gonna have to grow some bigger

one other thing is my front brakes. before they used to be grabby when cold, now they are getting grabby even when hot. ill be applying pressure steadily, then it'll get kinda vague, then i'll apply a little more pressure and it'll grab all of a sudden and load up the forks.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #27
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1570 View Post
yeah i know...and prior to that it was too rigid. took the bike out for a romp today and it felt a little better than last time. thanks to the "aggressive" settings i found. narrowed the chicken strips by about 1/4" or so. and that was with having to work around traffic. front end is wobbling again, but not till about 100+, before it would be at 80. took it down a real bumpy/curvy road to see how it felt. cornering at ~60-70 mph feels pretty stable. i'm really getting to the point to tune it any further i'm gonna have to grow some bigger

one other thing is my front brakes. before they used to be grabby when cold, now they are getting grabby even when hot. ill be applying pressure steadily, then it'll get kinda vague, then i'll apply a little more pressure and it'll grab all of a sudden and load up the forks.

Put a zip to around the chrome part of the fork tube. Push up against the dust seal. Ride back roads. see how much travel of the suspension you're using.

CMRA #302
Old 09-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #28
brian1570
Incognito

Bike(s):
07 Dynasaur
09 GSXR600(sold)
06 CBR600RR(wrecked)
04 Buell lightning(sold)
08 nightster(sold)

Quote:
Put a zip to around the chrome part of the fork tube. Push up against the dust seal. Ride back roads. see how much travel of the suspension you're using.
fuark, i knew i was forgetting something

tommorrow if the rain stays away...
Old 09-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #29
speedoeffect

Bike(s):
2008 cbr1000rr

I follow Dave Moss on Facebook or his website www.feelthetrack.com Lots of info on suspension.
speedoeffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #30
D03Cobra

From brake marker to apex issues are usually the front end, apex to exit is usually the rear. When you get back on the gas and the front is getting weird it usually means the rear is squatting to much causing the front end to get light. This is also why you will run wide in turns on the exit. Try adding compression in the rear.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #31
brian1570
Incognito

Bike(s):
07 Dynasaur
09 GSXR600(sold)
06 CBR600RR(wrecked)
04 Buell lightning(sold)
08 nightster(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D03Cobra View Post
From brake marker to apex issues are usually the front end, apex to exit is usually the rear. When you get back on the gas and the front is getting weird it usually means the rear is squatting to much causing the front end to get light. This is also why you will run wide in turns on the exit. Try adding compression in the rear.
but i only weigh like 135(no gear) i wouldn't expect the the rear to be squatting that much. or am i just a bawss on the throttle?

here's something i copied from a buell site:

Quote:
to improve steering quickness and cornering easier

first: increase rear shock preload one position

if more is desired: reduce front preload one line

if more is desired: increase rear compression clockwise one quarter to one half turn

if more is desired: increase front rebound clockwise one quarter turn
supposed to be from the same factory test rider.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #32
brian1570
Incognito

Bike(s):
07 Dynasaur
09 GSXR600(sold)
06 CBR600RR(wrecked)
04 Buell lightning(sold)
08 nightster(sold)