MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #21
Bigshankhank

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1972 Aermacchi Sprint SX350
1972 Honda CL175 K5
1978 Kawasaki KE100
1978 Kawasaki KE250
1970 Suzuki TC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalanie View Post
15 hrs worth of music

Good luck and have funz
Not enough music unless you are seriously hauling .

Plan the 10/12/10/295/95 route at least 18-19 hours at 80 mph average. 15 hours would get you to Tampa (at least, that's what it takes me to get there in the cage at 80)

Again, I cannot stress enough how much you should NOT take the I-10 route except in small doses. Just looking at googlemaps, here's an alternate that includes some time on I-10 to help speed things up a bit;
I-10 to Winnie, exit US73 to the other side of Port Auther. Take 82 out of P.A and follow the coast through Lousiana all the way to Erath. Pick up 14 across Erath until you get to Hwy 90 and take that to New Orleans. Hop on I-10 in N.O. until you find the Hwy 90 exit on the other side of Slidell. Take Hwy 90 over to Grand Bay, AL andhop on I-10 until you get across Mobile. On the other side of Mobile Bay you see an exit for Hwy 98, take that all along the Florida coastline until you reach Perry, FL. In Perry, pick up Hwy 20 and cross the state into Ormond Beach (just north of Daytona) on the East coast. At that point, you can decide on whether to speed down I-95 into Miami, or take the A1A along the East coast if you haven't gotten sick of smelling the salt air yet. Don't mistake me, this will make it at least a two day ride because these roads are slower and will add considerable mileage, but will be soooo much less boring than I-10.
Enjoy the trip either way.
Bigshankhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Miami: Thank you Houston! itsmebanky Sports 6 03-23-2013 05:16 PM
CSI : Miami... Solracer Off Topic 10 03-30-2009 10:03 PM
Miami Preacher ArturoC Off Topic 5 03-06-2007 02:25 PM
Heading to Miami 2XTURBO General Discussion (Moto Related) 42 02-13-2007 09:57 PM
Miami Vice is Back! Bgsxr1000 Off Topic 12 05-12-2006 03:39 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #22
dudewhrsmybike

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
Fly there.

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #23
grsa

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewhrsmybike View Post
Fly there.
+1 bring plane tickets.
grsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:38 PM   #24
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

I don't get the advice to fly there. The whole idea is to have an adventure.
Saddle up and go.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #25
grsa

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I don't get the advice to fly there. The whole idea is to have an adventure.
Saddle up and go.
Fly there, rent a harley or something, you will be maximizing your time in Miami. However with that said if it is the adventure of riding somewhere I would follow the gulf coast route however plan on one extra day each way.
Also recommend AAA or some bike towing service (or have Obed tag along) it is awesome that he helps riders out when they need it.

How much time do you have that will make difference as well.

Locate any triumph dealers what ever way you are going and take the advice on what to bring that Patrick gave as well as others.
grsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #26
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepine View Post
Swoop, we have people here who rode to Canada, to Central America, and the Pan-american to Tierra del fuego. I'll do Yellowstone next year, and that's just the beginning. I have to oppose your comment. It is not too far. Challenge is good. Go for it. Enjoy it, but give us feedback.
but youre taking your toy hauler.
TMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #27
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Bike(s):
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshankhank View Post
Not enough music unless you are seriously hauling .

Plan the 10/12/10/295/95 route at least 18-19 hours at 80 mph average. 15 hours would get you to Tampa (at least, that's what it takes me to get there in the cage at 80)

Again, I cannot stress enough how much you should NOT take the I-10 route except in small doses. Just looking at googlemaps, here's an alternate that includes some time on I-10 to help speed things up a bit;
I-10 to Winnie, exit US73 to the other side of Port Auther. Take 82 out of P.A and follow the coast through Lousiana all the way to Erath. Pick up 14 across Erath until you get to Hwy 90 and take that to New Orleans. Hop on I-10 in N.O. until you find the Hwy 90 exit on the other side of Slidell. Take Hwy 90 over to Grand Bay, AL andhop on I-10 until you get across Mobile. On the other side of Mobile Bay you see an exit for Hwy 98, take that all along the Florida coastline until you reach Perry, FL. In Perry, pick up Hwy 20 and cross the state into Ormond Beach (just north of Daytona) on the East coast. At that point, you can decide on whether to speed down I-95 into Miami, or take the A1A along the East coast if you haven't gotten sick of smelling the salt air yet. Don't mistake me, this will make it at least a two day ride because these roads are slower and will add considerable mileage, but will be soooo much less boring than I-10.
Enjoy the trip either way.
car and bike are two different forms of transportation timewise. for a more accurate count on time.

miles to destination
divided by 50mph
equals how long in hours it will take yo to get there.

50mph is huffing it.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:14 PM   #28
Rael
Communist Plant

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

I just got back from a trip to Marfa and Ft. Davis the weekend before last. A long trip can be very rewarding when done right. It is something worth experiencing on a motorcycle.

Make sure your boots and gloves are comfortable (i.e. not too tight and well ventilated). Pay attention to your body; if you start feeling a cramp or fatigue take a break. Drink plenty of water and do it regularly. If you start yawning, take a breather and check yourself; this could be fatigue or dehydration, either of which you should fight. Move around in the saddle too. Also keep in mind that after the first ~300 miles you will start getting sore, part of the game is staying focused over the small pains.

Carry some cash, a repair kit for tires and basics, and keep someone you know updated about your location and status.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #29
Grim_Reaper
Don't fight the reaper!

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
2006. CBR 1000rr

I take this drive every year to Hollywood, and Miami. My wifes family all live there. I used a friends radar detector last year and did around 85 the whole way and drove all night. It only took us 14 to 15 hours to get there. It depends on how many stops you take. Your gonna have a blast. Definately check out South Beach and club Liv inside Fountain Bleu Hotel. Amazing beautiful women there! Lol
Grim_Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:21 AM   #30
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Bike(s):
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim_Reaper View Post
I take this drive every year to Hollywood, and Miami. My wifes family all live there. I used a friends radar detector last year and did around 85 the whole way and drove all night. It only took us 14 to 15 hours to get there. It depends on how many stops you take. Your gonna have a blast. Definately check out South Beach and club Liv inside Fountain Bleu Hotel. Amazing beautiful women there! Lol
houston to miami is 1186 miles.

at 15 hours thats almost 80mph.

must mean you didnt ride.

so if you plan on riding itll be bout 24 hours.

let us know how long it takes you. im guessin if its your first trip itll tske bout 26 hours.

Last edited by TMAX; 09-11-2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:36 AM   #31
CBRguyIZcool
UkrainianSicilian100%Nerd

Bike(s):
H-D Sportster 48

Send a message via AIM to CBRguyIZcool
thanks for all the advise guys really appreciate it, the ride is still up in the air but im getting closer to pulling the trigger on saying it and going for it on the bike. like a previous poster said it may be a long grueling ride but that's the point, for me a SOLO adventure after a long time of helping family and trying to get my own business rolling is greatly needed to keep my sanity.

Not to mention there's some sort of Brazzers beach party of some sort, big Latin is my forte..... if things work out i will bless the MH community with lots of photos.
CBRguyIZcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:50 AM   #32
Harpdog88

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2011 ZX-6R
2009 650R (Sold)

Member Garage

I agree with previous posts, I-10 BLOWS. LA in particular, roug roads, cops suck, and slower speed limites, and yes, traffic. Definitely agree with the rain gear. If you go, good luck man.
Harpdog88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:01 AM   #33
Harpdog88

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2011 ZX-6R
2009 650R (Sold)

Member Garage

Rough*^ dang ipad.
Harpdog88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:12 AM   #34
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Bike(s):
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

slow roads? its 80mph on i10 in between cities. meaning most everyone was doing 90.
rough roads? get a yamaha tmax its a soft tail.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:30 AM   #35
PimpRice
TEAM BLT

Feedback Rating: (4)

Send a message via AIM to PimpRice
why don't you wait, and team BLT will FLY there together?
PimpRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:36 AM   #36
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRguyIZcool View Post
Not to mention there's some sort of Brazzers beach party of some sort, big Latin is my forte..... if things work out i will bless the MH community with lots of photos.
Shoulda said this to begin with. Screw all opinions.

Go.

Now.

Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:59 AM   #37
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAX View Post
slow roads? its 80mph on i10 in between cities. meaning most everyone was doing 90.
rough roads? get a yamaha tmax its a soft tail.
You obviously haven't driven much of I 10 east of Texas.
Granted, there are sections where you can go 80+, but there's more than a few that you'd better be close to the posted limit or you'll get pinged.

Quote:
thanks for all the advise guys really appreciate it, the ride is still up in the air but im getting closer to pulling the trigger on saying it and going for it on the bike. like a previous poster said it may be a long grueling ride but that's the point, for me a SOLO adventure after a long time of helping family and trying to get my own business rolling is greatly needed to keep my sanity.

It sounds like you've got the right mind set.
If you're just trying to grind out the miles to get to Miami that's one thing, but taking a road trip with stops along the way can be a blast.
I made a simlar trip to Daytona. While most of my buddies were hammering down to get there in one day, I took a few extra days and stopped and actually saw/experienced the areas I was riding through along the way.
I'd ride an average of 7-8 hours a day amd then stop and either camp or get a motel room.
Get cleaned up, cruise some of the local roads that looked interesting and visit some of the local attractions followed by a good meal at a good local ressturaunt.
The internet and AAA can be a huge help in checking out things to see and places to eat along the way. Like another member mentioned, AAA is defintiely worth getting for their roadside assistance/towing.

Depending on your time schedule I'd allow 3-4 days to Miami.
When I did Daytona i did 4 days down there and 3 back. The entire trip was 2 weeks and was well worth it. I've done several long trips and imo if you go with the mind set that the trip is as important as the end destination it'll be more fun.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com

Last edited by Patrick; 09-11-2012 at 06:02 AM.
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:25 AM   #38
Bigshankhank

Bike(s):
1972 Aermacchi Sprint SX350
1972 Honda CL175 K5
1978 Kawasaki KE100
1978 Kawasaki KE250
1970 Suzuki TC90

What Patrick said, take your time on a road trip.
Years back I rode with friends from Tampa to Myrtle Beach Bike Fest (which sucks as a rally, BTW) and with all the surface highways in Florida and through Georgia and South Carolina, plus mountains, we were covering maybe 350 miles per day. Certainly capable of moving faster, but it was more fun to try roadside bar-b-q stands and since the guys I was with are firefighters we stopped at every country fire station we came across. Took us three days to get from A - B, but it was worth it.
Bigshankhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #39
Hail
Middle Aged Crazy Member

Feedback Rating: (7)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Speed Triple R
2012 DR-Z 400S

Quote:
like a previous poster said it may be a long grueling ride but that's the point, for me a SOLO adventure after a long time of helping family and trying to get my own business rolling is greatly needed to keep my sanity.
I am with you. I just got back from my solo adventure to New Mexico and back and do not regret a minute of it.

I was actually planning a trip on at least part of your route. I was going to take I10 to Lafayette and then head south on 90 to New Iberia (actually Avery Island) to tour the Tabasco factory. Then continue on the back roads to NO. My plan was to go to Destin then head North to S. Carolina not down to Miami.

It is nice to have something like that Tabasco factory to break the ride up in to manageable (and memorable) chunks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	60326  

Last edited by Hail; 09-11-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:11 AM   #40
Speedfreak
Bleed Green

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
'07 Yamaha R6
'05 Kawi ZX10 (RIP)
'05 Kawi ZX10 the current mistress

When I was working out of state we were in the middle of Nebraska and I talked to guy who was riding a Suzuki dual sport. He was riding to Wyoming from Miami. He said he does it twice a year to visit family. I gave him props and said he was crazy as lol. I'd love to make that trek but thanks to so many wrecks I can't stand to be on a bike for more than an hour. Good luck man. Take a bunch of pics when you go

Advertisement