MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #1
CCH
Innocent Bystander

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2000 Ducati 996
1991 Suzuki RGV250m two-smoke bicycle on crack
1999 R6 sold to a dip$h!t
1995 Ducati 900SP gone, more or less
1999 Ducati 996 died a glorious death in North GA, Feb 2006

Member Garage

Sucky news? Latest Kevin Schwantz COTA situation

Just got this update from Schwantz regarding MotoGP and his involvement at COTA. Sounds shitty...

"Many of you have been asking about the status of MotoGP in Texas, and I wanted to share this statement:

ďI have devoted over 25 years of my life to MotoGP, the premier motorcycle road racing world championship. I spent four of those years bringing MotoGP to Texas, my home state. As a result, MotoGP agreed in 2011 to host an annual race at Austinís Circuit of the Americas (COTA) track.

Iím sorry
to say that COTA is now attempting to unlawfully force me out of this project. I believe COTA has committed fraud in doing so. Earlier today, I took legal action against COTA. I was forced to file this lawsuit in order to protect my rights, my reputation, and MotoGP itself.

I want to see MotoGP come to Texas, but I cannot allow COTA to take advantage of me. More important, I will not sit idly by while a newcomer to racing discredits the sport I love.Ē

--Kevin Schwantz, President of 3fourTexasMGP, LLC"
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
You REALLY have to expect the unexpected on the streets. Sucky way to go news story eltejano General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 06-22-2013 06:43 PM
COTA vs Kevin Schwantz ninenine General Discussion (Moto Related) 47 03-22-2013 08:58 AM
Ode to Kevin Schwantz Grinchy General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 07-07-2009 10:53 AM
Vintage Kevin Schwantz: He Keeps Winning Racer997 Taking it to the Track 1 02-09-2009 01:24 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
hotcknstrips
Bevo's royal guard.

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
09 Buell 1125CR

, politics, as always. But Kevin is o stranger to that, his days on 500cc GP was rife with politics.

I wish him the best, I hope COTA and him will reach an agreement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Weird Lady
Mucus Membrane!
hotcknstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #3
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

. Well. Still two races in the US... Right?
Old 09-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
Jredford
Rotsevnieht

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
FZ1
R1200RT
CRF450X Tard
R6 Friggin Rocket Ship
CRMA Lic #622

It too bad to see Kevin have to file suit. From the beginning the Austin project has been full of douchebags on all sides. Remeber there are more than two parties that constantly try to trick the others.

Kevin will be fine IMHO.

"Racing is life... everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in 'Le Mans'
Jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
Pachuco
So fly, I need feathers

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
1098s
S4RS
SC1000
999s
996 sps

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Pachuco
Yes, indy and Laguna we still go on.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #6
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

It was a rhetorical question. I would have loved to have MGP right here on my doorstep, but it could be worse. I could live in South America or something and have the best option for a race be Brasil. Which will never happen again.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #7
Brutus

COTA hosed the F1 guy and now this. What a bunch of greedy f#ckers. Do they not have enough money already?
Brutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #8
kenup283

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
It was a rhetorical question. I would have loved to have MGP right here on my doorstep, but it could be worse. I could live in South America or something and have the best option for a race be Brasil. Which will never happen again.
If you lived in south america you could go to the argentina race next year.

I have to agree with Brutus here. The track owners are being pricks. They used Schwartz in the same way they used Hellmund. They needed some people with personal connectons on the inside to the top figures of the sport. Once those guys got them on the Prov calendar, did all the PR, went to city council meetings, got all the permits, public support, etx. the ciruit owners then stall on their personal obligations to them, and wait to the last minuite to make a deal directly with the race org so they can leave out the middle man... I really don't care to go even when they do have it.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
CCH
Innocent Bystander

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2000 Ducati 996
1991 Suzuki RGV250m two-smoke bicycle on crack
1999 R6 sold to a dip$h!t
1995 Ducati 900SP gone, more or less
1999 Ducati 996 died a glorious death in North GA, Feb 2006

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenup283 View Post
If you lived in south america you could go to the argentina race next year.

I have to agree with Brutus here. The track owners are being pricks. They used Schwartz in the same way they used Hellmund. They needed some people with personal connectons on the inside to the top figures of the sport. Once those guys got them on the Prov calendar, did all the PR, went to city council meetings, got all the permits, public support, etx. the ciruit owners then stall on their personal obligations to them, and wait to the last minuite to make a deal directly with the race org so they can leave out the middle man... I really don't care to go even when they do have it.
This is how it looks to me too. The problem is that there's too much Austin government and not enough Motorsport enthusiast steering the ship.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #10
Brutus

I've seen it played out many times in my career. Good guy has an idea or has a relationship so he approaches people with money, only to be cut out later. In Hellmund's case, he had a contract with F1 which required a deposit being made with F1 by a certain date. Hellmund trusted COTA (McCombs and the other guy) to put up that deposit. Not sure if Hellmund had a binding contract with COTA or what. Anyway, COTA simply fails to make the deposit, which causes Hellmund's contract with F1 to terminate, leaving COTA free to deal with F1 directly. COTA's only risk is a lawsuit, which COTA will then settle for less money than they would have had to pay Hellmund had they moved forward under the original terms.

I strongly suspect the same deal here; only this time COTA is clearly alleging there was no contract with COTA (not to mention COTA is acting like KS is nuts for even acting like there is one). Dorna, like F1, just wants money and they don't care who else may or may not get paid in the process. Good guys, like KS, who probably rely on relationships they've had for years and lots of handshakes, get squashed. What really sucks is that he won't get to be part of the event, not even for a small salary. That really sucks in the US moto community because KS is so well liked.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #11
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

Big money changes things.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #12
kenup283

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
I've seen it played out many times in my career. Good guy has an idea or has a relationship so he approaches people with money, only to be cut out later. In Hellmund's case, he had a contract with F1 which required a deposit being made with F1 by a certain date. Hellmund trusted COTA (McCombs and the other guy) to put up that deposit. Not sure if Hellmund had a binding contract with COTA or what. Anyway, COTA simply fails to make the deposit, which causes Hellmund's contract with F1 to terminate, leaving COTA free to deal with F1 directly. COTA's only risk is a lawsuit, which COTA will then settle for less money than they would have had to pay Hellmund had they moved forward under the original terms.

I strongly suspect the same deal here; only this time COTA is clearly alleging there was no contract with COTA (not to mention COTA is acting like KS is nuts for even acting like there is one). Dorna, like F1, just wants money and they don't care who else may or may not get paid in the process. Good guys, like KS, who probably rely on relationships they've had for years and lots of handshakes, get squashed. What really sucks is that he won't get to be part of the event, not even for a small salary. That really sucks in the US moto community because KS is so well liked.
yep, that's it alright. Schwartz's contract was with Hellmund's Full hrottle promotions who already had its falling out with COTA, so what you say above would be spot on as to why they acting like there never was one with COTA.

KS lawsuit is based him having the sole rights to promote motogp in the state of texas. So really his beef would be with DORNA, the people who apparently gave him those rights only to go around him once the project was off the ground and they no longer needed him.

I guess this means Schwartz won;t be relocating his school afterall and I dont think he'll be doing much more PR for MotoGP either or at least for some time.

Another thing... COTA is now charging 200$ just for parking in a grass field for the upcoming F1 race.

So if you bought your tickets in advance, there's another thing they forgot to mention. Also for the tickets sales, the cheapest tickets they offer are 400$ seats in temporary makeshift grandstands. They claim to be sold out of General Admision. Which is a boguss claim just to keep high price ticket sales going. Their buissness practices are all about squeezing everyhing they can out of this and people along the way...

By the time they get through charging for everything it will be cheaper to go to Laguna and better anyway.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:18 PM   #13
Chuckster

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

They're going to price themselves out of relevance before the first race ever happens. There's lots of questions about how well a GP class track will do in a NASCAR dominated state. They should be more concerned with bringing in race fans to show off their facility more than trying to pay for the track in the first race.
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #14
30+GSXR

Bike(s):
2004 GSX-R 1000 Mat Mladin
'91 Sturgis Harley (sold)
'85 RZ-350 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
They're going to price themselves out of relevance before the first race ever happens. There's lots of questions about how well a GP class track will do in a NASCAR dominated state. They should be more concerned with bringing in race fans to show off their facility more than trying to pay for the track in the first race.
+1
Old 09-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #15
Brutus

Here's more specific information, provided by our friends at Dorna.

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2012/D...P+LLC+and+COTA
Old 09-14-2012, 08:07 AM   #16
Salsero1198s

COTA knows that after all of the suits are settled, the buying public will forget about how they screwed everyone, and they will make profits (that they don't split with anyone) for years to come.

This is really disgusting.
Salsero1198s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:13 AM   #17
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsero1198s View Post
COTA knows that after all of the suits are settled, the buying public will forget about how they screwed everyone, and they will make profits (that they don't split with anyone) for years to come.

This is really disgusting.
They built the track. I guess it's entirely their right to decide who uses it and how it's used
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #18
Bigshankhank

Bike(s):
1972 Aermacchi Sprint SX350
1972 Honda CL175 K5
1978 Kawasaki KE100
1978 Kawasaki KE250
1970 Suzuki TC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
They built the track. I guess it's entirely their right to decide who uses it and how it's used
I guess it depends on who had money at stake. If KS went to COTA and negotiated on their behalf with DORNA to bring the race here, hopefully he did so under contract for a fee. If KS did so with just a handshake and under the guise of goodwill, then in legal terms he is owed nothing. Its a shame one cannot do business that way, but it took more than a few snakes in the grass to ruin that method for everyone with honest intentions. If what DORNA posted in their statement is true, well then either they threw up that condition knowing Schwantz couldn't meet it in an attempt to screw him, or Schwantz simply failed to meet his contract obligations and this is the proper result.
The concept of politics in motor-sport (or any sport) is ridiculous, but it is a fact of life. And we as fans vote with our dollars.
Bigshankhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:24 AM   #19
Salsero1198s

There's a poll out now that let's people weigh in on this debacle and who's at fault.

Poll: Kevin Schwantz v. Circuit of the Americas

I am curious to see the final results when this is all over.
Salsero1198s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:24 AM   #20
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)