MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Events, Meets and Rides
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
tbcaveman
Senior Member
 
tbcaveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 124

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
yamaha r1
yamaha MT-01
Yamaha V-Max
Yamaha Virago 750
kawasaki zx-10r






MY OBSERVATION -**8th Houston Central Meet! September 5th 2012**

Guys, I have looked at the great pictures of the **8th Houston Central Meet! September 5th 2012**, and I there was one thing that shocked me. Sorry, I cant hold it.
We mention over and over again about the need and importance of using the appropriate safety gear when riding. Every day we have posts about accidents injuries due to no or improper safety gear, we have polls about using or not boots, and so on.

If you look at the pictures from the meet, you will see some people, not all, wearing no gear other than helmet, if at all!. t-shirts, short trousers, tennis shoes....

Can't these Meets, besides socializing and having a great time, be used to make people understand the importance of safety gear?

Please understand that my post is intended to add value and promote safe riding, nothing else.
tbcaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
C **16th Houston Central Meet! June 5th, 2013** NewRider Events, Meets and Rides 209 06-16-2013 01:52 PM
C *Last Houston Central Meet 2012! Refinery 12/05/2012 NewRider Events, Meets and Rides 222 03-27-2013 10:40 AM
C **8th Houston Central Meet! September 5th 2012** NewRider Events, Meets and Rides 162 09-30-2012 09:38 PM
**PICS** Motohouston Central Meet September 5th 2012 Blanco Event Pics and Vids 12 09-08-2012 09:11 AM
C **5th Houston Central Meet! June 6th, 2012** NewRider Events, Meets and Rides 232 06-25-2012 10:45 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2012, 08:29 AM   #2
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying
 
NewRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston/Heights
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 18,132

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)









Can't babysit everyone, we can preach safety gear till we are blue in the face and people will still choose.

Where I truly police it, is when we do the noob rides or the back roads ride, just last Sunday I asked a guy to go home because he didn't have riding boots or jacket.


You gotta understand, the meet is an open invite to all and any rider, for the most part all the ones that are members, active and semi-active members wear their gear.

But good feedback, perhaps we can maybe see about getting donations for hear or letting people know about the thread we have for gear.

A lot of the pics though are maybe people getting ready for the slow race, didn't pay that much attention, but I don't think the un-geared riders out numbered the geared ones.


I know I wasn't wearing my boots, so I'm guilty too...
__________________
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k504/mhnewrider/IvanHalffast_zpsb8fb524d.png

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #3
Senator
Dude....Seriously?
 
Senator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Washington Ave.
Feedback Rating: (17)
Posts: 5,101

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)






There were squids at a bike night?!

I looked back and saw it differently. Look how many people WERE wearing gear.
<-----There's always going to be a handful of squids out there. Some listen, some don't, we do what we can.

Were you there? Are you taking about the slow race where people are doing 3 mph or less...
__________________
Bill N.
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
tbcaveman
Senior Member
 
tbcaveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 124

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
yamaha r1
yamaha MT-01
Yamaha V-Max
Yamaha Virago 750
kawasaki zx-10r






Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
Can't babysit everyone, we can preach safety gear till we are blue in the face and people will still choose.

Where I truly police it, is when we do the noob rides or the back roads ride, just last Sunday I asked a guy to go home because he didn't have riding boots or jacket.


You gotta understand, the meet is an open invite to all and any rider, for the most part all the ones that are members, active and semi-active members wear their gear.

But good feedback, perhaps we can maybe see about getting donations for hear or letting people know about the thread we have for gear.

A lot of the pics though are maybe people getting ready for the slow race, didn't pay that much attention, but I don't think the un-geared riders out numbered the geared ones.


I know I wasn't wearing my boots, so I'm guilty too...
I understand, and of course, the majority was wearing some gear. My idea is not to go into micro details, rather see how these Meets could be proactively used to make people understand the importance of gear.
You know what triggered my post was looking at the picture and at the same time having in mind the numerous posts from people asking about proper gear, use of boots and so on.
As you said, cant force anybody, however, as number of riders increase, number of accidents increase as well so, anything that can be done to prevent personal damage is going to be beneficial for everyone!
tbcaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
Senator
Dude....Seriously?
 
Senator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Washington Ave.
Feedback Rating: (17)
Posts: 5,101

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)






Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcaveman View Post
I understand, and of course, the majority was wearing some gear. My idea is not to go into micro details, rather see how these Meets could be proactively used to make people understand the importance of gear.
You know what triggered my post was looking at the picture and at the same time having in mind the numerous posts from people asking about proper gear, use of boots and so on.
As you said, cant force anybody, however, as number of riders increase, number of accidents increase as well so, anything that can be done to prevent personal damage is going to be beneficial for everyone!
I agree, but the approach has to be careful.
We as motorcycle riders have a certain ego/pride. If you call that out in front of a lot of people, most would tend to do the opposite.

Here's an example, when I'm at meets and ask people if they are wearing knee pads on rides (or if they ask about mine). I tell them how I had knee surgery years ago, and I never take a chance of that happening again. I also tell stories about seeing guys' patellas through open skin.
I know personally I've gotten at least 10 guys to start wearing knee pads.
__________________
Bill N.
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:41 AM   #6
little6
Senior Member
 
little6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: heights/ TC jester Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 927

Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
k6 600 gixxer (now a Theif owns it)
2011 gsxr 600
1976 cb360
250 track bike






I looked back at the pictures and have come to one conclusion also. Every rider looks to be the over the age of 18 and able to make an adult decision for themselves. (even a unsafe and stupid one)
We have polls about proper gear, rider down and "squid threads" along with noob meets that go over the importance of ridding gear along with matinees on the bike.
I personally have the proper gear on 90% of the time but don’t want to become some preachy group of riders that annoy other riders that don’t fallow the same believe as me. If other riders don’t know by now that those bad Jordan’s that match the paint on the bike will not help and ankle sprain or a muscle shirt will not be much help during a low side in a parking lot traveling at as much as 5mph, then I don’t think me preaching to him 24/7 will either.
I like the big meets because it brings all riders together with a common interest. Bikes… SO at this big of a meet you will see everything from a thug and a lawyer talking track talking track vs. street. To a guy with total gear on and a squid rocking some cool kicks and a balling muscle shirt showing off his new tat discussing lean angles.
Or maybe we could all chip in and at least hand out a pair of riding boots to new riders that can’t afford the proper gear maybe that would help bring up the topic.
little6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #7
tbcaveman
Senior Member
 
tbcaveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 124

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
yamaha r1
yamaha MT-01
Yamaha V-Max
Yamaha Virago 750
kawasaki zx-10r






Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I agree, but the approach has to be careful.
We as motorcycle riders have a certain ego/pride. If you call that out in front of a lot of people, most would tend to do the opposite.

Here's an example, when I'm at meets and ask people if they are wearing knee pads on rides (or if they ask about mine). I tell them how I had knee surgery years ago, and I never take a chance of that happening again. I also tell stories about seeing guys' patellas through open skin.
I know personally I've gotten at least 10 guys to start wearing knee pads.
You are right and the approach you describe is probably the best! I believe that older guys (i mean more experience and with many years of safe bike riding) have the responsibility to transmit this concepts to young generation of riders.
tbcaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #8
1308cc
954 isn't a liter
 
1308cc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: West Side/Katy
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 631

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
04 Honda VFR800
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR(Wrecked)
2002 Honda CBR 954RR (sold)
2006 Suzuki GS500F (sold)
2010 Yamaha FZ6R (sold)

Member Garage





I wore boots, jeans, helmet, gloves. I just didn't have my jacket. Sorry I hurt someone's feelings.
__________________
Noel Aviles
1308cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #9
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.
 
Solracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kemah Area
Feedback Rating: (9)
Posts: 28,864

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883



Member Garage


good thread here.
__________________
Chris
Solracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #10
Pachuco
So fly, I need feathers
 
Pachuco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston (Proper)
Feedback Rating: (6)
Posts: 3,823

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1098s
S4RS
SC1000
999s
996 sps

Member Garage





Send a message via Yahoo to Pachuco
flippy floppys, . Its how I roll
__________________
Stuntin like Jet Li, boat houses and jet ski's
Pachuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #11
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying
 
NewRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston/Heights
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 18,132

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)









Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcaveman View Post
I understand, and of course, the majority was wearing some gear. My idea is not to go into micro details, rather see how these Meets could be proactively used to make people understand the importance of gear.
You know what triggered my post was looking at the picture and at the same time having in mind the numerous posts from people asking about proper gear, use of boots and so on.
As you said, cant force anybody, however, as number of riders increase, number of accidents increase as well so, anything that can be done to prevent personal damage is going to be beneficial for everyone!
Well, the meets are more for fun and just hanging out, there is no group ride by all attendees there, there isn't a huge group ride after. You get there how you get there and hang out and then go home.

Have you been to one of these yet or just judging from the pics? I try my best to go around and talk to different people that look like they are new or I ask their experience and speak to them about going out to the track or safe riding.

You're more than welcome to come and do the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcaveman View Post
You are right and the approach you describe is probably the best! I believe that older guys (i mean more experience and with many years of safe bike riding) have the responsibility to transmit this concepts to young generation of riders.
Come on out to any of the meets and help in doing so.
__________________
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k504/mhnewrider/IvanHalffast_zpsb8fb524d.png

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #12
chevy42083
Senior Member
 
chevy42083's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Katy
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,932

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg
'07 650r Stolen/recovered








I will say this.... I've only been on ONE group ride where a pair of guys showed up in "riding shorts" (basketball shorts)... every other time, people are wearing jacket, helmet, and gloves.

There's varying levels of gear and when to wear it. Some consider boots and knee pads as required, others view full leathers as required.
Some don't put on gear to push it in the garage, go to the corner store, or... go to a local meet where they won't be riding anymore. (some guys DO live in the area).

When it comes to the actual meet and RIDE... the #s of gear wearers is MUCH greater.

As long as these guys hang around those of us that do wear gear... hopefully they will realize why... sooner rather than later.
__________________
-Duane
chevy42083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:02 AM   #13
ThomAss
I like to ride
 
ThomAss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NW Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,043

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 CBR1000rr
06 CBR1000rr
05 CRF450r
09 Ruckus






I don't understand why riders care what other riders wear. Sure, preach safety but why put someone down if they choose to ride without a jacket or , even a helmet. It's there head, skin and body that will get tore up and won't effect me one bit. Some choose to learn the hard way so let them learn.

I've never like the term squid and never put people down for their gear or lack thereof. I've lead rides where riders have shown up without a helmet. If thats how they ride who I am to say you can't ride with me. Most after the ride see the importance of gear and change their ways.
__________________
2013 Race Sponsors: | 717 Racer's Supply | Dunlop Tires | Whoopies Cycles | Whoopies Race School | Vortex | Woodcraft Technologies, Inc. | Agg Racing | Chicken Hawk Racing
ThomAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:03 AM   #14
cdill35
717
 
cdill35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 9,585

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy







Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
last Sunday I asked a guy to go home because he didn't have riding boots or jacket.

Were you smoking a cigarette when you told him?
cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:03 AM   #15
tbcaveman
Senior Member
 
tbcaveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 124

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
yamaha r1
yamaha MT-01
Yamaha V-Max
Yamaha Virago 750
kawasaki zx-10r






Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy42083 View Post
I will say this.... I've only been on ONE group ride where a pair of guys showed up in "riding shorts" (basketball shorts)... every other time, people are wearing jacket, helmet, and gloves.

There's varying levels of gear and when to wear it. Some consider boots and knee pads as required, others view full leathers as required.
Some don't put on gear to push it in the garage, go to the corner store, or... go to a local meet where they won't be riding anymore. (some guys DO live in the area).

When it comes to the actual meet and RIDE... the #s of gear wearers is MUCH greater.

As long as these guys hang around those of us that do wear gear... hopefully they will realize why... sooner rather than later.
Agree 100%
tbcaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:04 AM   #16
ThomAss
I like to ride
 
ThomAss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NW Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,043

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 CBR1000rr
06 CBR1000rr
05 CRF450r
09 Ruckus






Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Were you smoking a cigarette when you told him?
__________________
2013 Race Sponsors: | 717 Racer's Supply | Dunlop Tires | Whoopies Cycles | Whoopies Race School | Vortex | Woodcraft Technologies, Inc. | Agg Racing | Chicken Hawk Racing
ThomAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #17
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying
 
NewRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston/Heights
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 18,132

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)









Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomAss View Post
. I've lead rides where riders have shown up without a helmet. If thats how they ride who I am to say you can't ride with me. Most after the ride see the importance of gear and change their ways.
That's actually not bad idea, sounds horrible but in the unfortunate chance someone goes down with no gear, it will be a way for everyone to see the result of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Were you smoking a cigarette when you told him?
As a matter of fact I was

I know where you are getting at, bit the ride had specific rules, didn't think it would be fair to the others that abided by the rules.
__________________
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k504/mhnewrider/IvanHalffast_zpsb8fb524d.png

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #18
j_e_hurst
Josh
 
j_e_hurst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Santa Fe
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 6,251

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Back on a GSXR!!! 08 600









Who cares. Everyones an adult capable of making their own decisions. Even when I make rides the only gear i require is a helmet. The rest is at the riders discretion. I am no ones Mommy. According to some peoples logic, lets all wear our track leathers everywhere we go.
__________________
JoshSigpic zps240ea710
j_e_hurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #19
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.
 
Solracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kemah Area
Feedback Rating: (9)
Posts: 28,864

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883



Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Were you smoking a cigarette when you told him?
__________________
Chris
Solracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #20
cdill35
717
 
cdill35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 9,585

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy







Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomAss View Post
Most after the ride see the importance of gear and change their ways.
Remember that dude on the ann. yellow R1? Now THAT dude freaked me out. Big digits on 59, facial skin all flappin in the wind. I couldn't even concentrate I was so freaked out.

He had boots, gloves, jacket and no helmet.
cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy