Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
thine99
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Katy/Richmond
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 36

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
'11 R6









R6 troubles..

If this isn't in the right section, please move it. But these seemed the most appropriate place to post it.

Well about a week ago I started noticing a loud ticking noise. It makes the noise while in neutral as well as riding. However it's a good bit quieter when in neutral, almost unnoticeable. Speed of the tick increases with rpm. If you pull the clutch in while riding and let the rpms fall noise goes with it. Kind of like a fingernail tapping on a desk. It's noticeable throughout each gear until about 6k rpm when the exhaust/engine noise drowns it out. You can also hear it while decelerating. I tried searching the r6 forum but the only answer ever given is "yamaha tick". I know engines make noise but this seems abnormally loud. The bike is a 2011 and only has ~5,500 miles.

Noise seemed to start after I changed the oil pan. Or maybe im just now noticing it? Obviously I had to drop the exhaust when I did this so I thought maybe there was a leak but I checked all the bolts and all were nice and tight. Oil level is near full line, so oil isn't a problem. Any ideas?

Thanks guys.
thine99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
roommate troubles imma_stocker Fresnel Phan Attorney At Law 26 09-11-2012 03:23 PM
Old Truck troubles... Falkryte Off Topic 42 12-03-2010 01:49 PM
Speedo troubles LunchBox How To's and Q & A's 6 11-14-2008 08:45 PM
Carb. Troubles LivInG lYfE Performance and Modifications 7 11-09-2008 11:24 AM
GPR troubles Swift E General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 08-07-2007 01:00 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
TheVirus
Original OG
 
TheVirus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: West Side
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,737

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2001 SV650S
2009 *Secret*








I wouldn't be able to tell you. Sounds like valves. But it's too new. Could be good chain having a kink in it, is it loose?

Maybe something like I the oil pan/gasket?
__________________
The First 48
TheVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
Blanco
BORC O.G.
 
Blanco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 3,075

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 ZX10R & 09 ZX-14
'09 R1 (homeboy shopping network donation)
'07 ZX14 (sold)
'01 FZ1 (sold)
ZRX1100 (sold)






Quote:
Originally Posted by thine99 View Post
If this isn't in the right section, please move it. But these seemed the most appropriate place to post it.

Well about a week ago I started noticing a loud ticking noise. It makes the noise while in neutral as well as riding. However it's a good bit quieter when in neutral, almost unnoticeable. Speed of the tick increases with rpm. If you pull the clutch in while riding and let the rpms fall noise goes with it. Kind of like a fingernail tapping on a desk. It's noticeable throughout each gear until about 6k rpm when the exhaust/engine noise drowns it out. You can also hear it while decelerating. I tried searching the r6 forum but the only answer ever given is "yamaha tick". I know engines make noise but this seems abnormally loud. The bike is a 2011 and only has ~5,500 miles.

Noise seemed to start after I changed the oil pan. Or maybe im just now noticing it? Obviously I had to drop the exhaust when I did this so I thought maybe there was a leak but I checked all the bolts and all were nice and tight. Oil level is near full line, so oil isn't a problem. Any ideas?

Thanks guys.

Does this bike have an EXUP valve in the exhaust for back pressure?
__________________
Consigliere
Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
thine99
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Katy/Richmond
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 36

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
'11 R6









Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVirus View Post
I wouldn't be able to tell you. Sounds like valves. But it's too new. Could be good chain having a kink in it, is it loose?

Maybe something like I the oil pan/gasket?
I just can't think of anything it could be in the pan. the only thing you have to put back in place (other than a new gasket) when putting the new pan on is the oil pick up/screener tube which is a breeze.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Blanco View Post
Does this bike have an EXUP valve in the exhaust for back pressure?
Yes it does.
thine99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
thine99
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Katy/Richmond
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 36

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
'11 R6









And now that you brought that up it reminded me that when trying to determine where the noise is coming from it's seems more noticeable under the bike near the mid to rear of the bike as opposed to the front of the bike near the header.
thine99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #6
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 16,368

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide






Based on the history you've said it sounds like an exhaust leak.
If you bring it by I'll give it a listen, no charge.
__________________
Call or PM for the BEST PRICES in Houston for PARTS and ACCESSORIES.
MAKE SURE TO MENTION YOU'RE ON MH TO GET THE BEST PRICE!

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!


muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:45 PM   #7
thine99
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Katy/Richmond
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 36

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
'11 R6









Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Based on the history you've said it sounds like an exhaust leak.
If you bring it by I'll give it a listen, no charge.
I might have to take you up on that offer! When would be a good time?



I went out earlier and took the cover off that reveals the exup.. I don't know how much movement there is suppose to be but this is what I saw.

turned key from "off" to "on"/ no movement
started bike-no movement, the bike was already warm from taking around the neighborhood so I watched it as I revved the engine.
low rpm revs 2k-6k/ no movement
revs to ~8,000rpm/ no movement
revs to ~10,000-12k rpm/ maybe a quarter inch of movement at most.
Normal?
thine99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:06 PM   #8
thine99
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Katy/Richmond
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 36

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
'11 R6









Decided to just take the bike to the dealer I purchased it from. It's under warranty so if anything is wrong hopefully I won't have to shell out any money. here's a video I took of the noise in case anyone else is having the same experience. recorded it with my ipod so it's not the best but here it is. I know in my earlier post I said it was hard to hear in N but I guess I wasnt listening close enough lol.
thine99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:08 PM   #9
CombatM0NKEY
Call me TOOTs..
 
CombatM0NKEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,481

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
1995 Honda Shadow 600VLX

Honda Xr50


Member Garage





Send a message via AIM to CombatM0NKEY Send a message via MSN to CombatM0NKEY Send a message via Yahoo to CombatM0NKEY
coke can or playing card. .. rear wheel..
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaoPee View Post
you need to tell trey, "stop asking asian riders for BP dummies"...
CombatM0NKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:13 PM   #10
Japawhat02
02 Tona
 
Japawhat02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: P-land
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 6,941

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona









sounds like injectors to me
__________________
2002 Brittish Rocket
Japawhat02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #11
cychotic
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: texas
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 2,407

Experience: 1-3 months











User is banned

.
cychotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #12
cychotic
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: texas
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 2,407

Experience: 1-3 months











User is banned

.
cychotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:47 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy