MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
hoss1158

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
07 Yamaha R6
04 GSXR 750 - sold

track start up cost

I was wondering what the startup cost for getting out on the track is? All i have is a bike that is street legal and helmet, any input would be appreciated.
hoss1158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Minimum cost to start track? Daft Punk General Discussion (Moto Related) 52 03-08-2013 02:15 AM
What is complete cost of Track Days? Longhorn87 Taking it to the Track 33 07-23-2012 05:50 PM
Engine build cost for track. ivancuriel Taking it to the Track 9 01-29-2012 10:06 AM
Where do I start for my first track day? Josue1300 Taking it to the Track 34 06-25-2011 07:26 PM
How much would it cost to build a track Coast Rider General Discussion (Moto Related) 29 05-04-2010 05:49 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

tape for your lights, and the proper gear..

that's all you really need in order to get your street bike on the track for a track day.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
DAT GUY

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
81 XS650
95 Sportster 1200-sold
07 650R-sold

you can rent gear at most of the track days the sponsors put on. Unless that has changed.

I got into the game with a used $100 suit, $200 boots, $70 gauntlet gloves and the cost of a track day oh and some painters tape. sure the suit wasn't pretty by any means and didnt match the bike (omg) but whatever. It was enough to get me in and hooked.

don't be fooled into thinking you need tire warmers, front/rear stands, and all this other bs I've seen people show up with at their first track day .
DAT GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

check our sponsors section.
we are blessed here in the Houston area to have several great track day organizations to ride with and several tracks to ride on with in a short driving distance...
as far as your very first track days is concerned, the cheapest will be ridesmart as they provide gear at no cost to you....each of us have our favorite track day organizations for reasons that fit us, but if price alone is your primary concern Ride smart is the one you need to contact... cdill35 can answer your questions...you can PM him or post up in the ridesmart section of the sponsors listings...if you decide to get your own gear then your options as far as cost for the trackday itself improve....
when you get your own gear or rent gear from someone like motorcycles unlimited you will be sure of having gear that actually fits you and not just what they have available on the truck at trackday... cheapest and best... might not be the same thing, but Ride Smart will be cheaper for the first day....after your first day the gear is no longer free and the costs even out... most sponsors trackday prices will vary from track to track, but their prices are listed on their websites...which track have you been thinking of going to first?
what bike will you be riding...
Old 09-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #5
hoss1158

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
07 Yamaha R6
04 GSXR 750 - sold

Thanks for the info, im not sure what track ill be trying. Im looking to try it out 1st and see how i like it. From what i have read and the videos on this site im sure ill want to attend more frequently. I have a 04 gsxr 750
hoss1158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Thanks Obed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss1158 View Post
I was wondering what the startup cost for getting out on the track is? All i have is a bike that is street legal and helmet, any input would be appreciated.
By far, the cheapest way to get your first track day done is with Ridesmart. (www.ridesmart.info) Free leather and boot rentals for first time track riders and I'm sure we can get you set up with a 50% off.

So, you'll need a roll of painters tape ($4), 4 gallons of gas in your tank and 5 gallons on the side ($35). Lunch is free if you don't do the track day at TWS (Texas World Speedway) (they don't allow Ride Smart to cook). And around $70 for the track day fee. Everything after that is a luxury (fans, snacks, drinks, etc)

Then you just have to get yourself there.

Otherwise, you can go to any of the other 648936458230 track day orgs for a bit more and you'll have to figure out your gear (borrow or rent).

After the first one, the start up cost goes through the roof. So go wherever your schedule permits.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Any bike would do, though you probably won't get the most out of your TD with a laid back cruiser or full-on dresser.

Gear-wise, if you don't mind generic brand, you can get a 1-piece leather suit, racing boots, and gauntlet gloves brand new for $300.

Don't forget transportation. You can ride your track bike to and from the track, but it's really not a good idea for a variety of reasons, including the inevitable "modification" to the bike... or you. A trailer and tow vehicle is best. Most riders like to bring supplies (cooler, water, food, EZ up, etc) that make a full dayatthe track more enjoyable - especially on a hot summer day.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #8
DAT GUY

Bike(s):
81 XS650
95 Sportster 1200-sold
07 650R-sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss1158 View Post
Thanks for the info, im not sure what track ill be trying. Im looking to try it out 1st and see how i like it. From what i have read and the videos on this site im sure ill want to attend more frequently. I have a 04 gsxr 750
it is an addiction and a good one!
DAT GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #9
Fastola
Banned

Bike(s):
06 CBR6er-street

User is banned

Fastola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #10
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

there are a lot of people who are willing to help to get you there! I normally do my best to just get you loaded and ready to go.. with work I haven't been able to go lately but hope to get out there soon!!

Like Cdill said.. we get you with the half off and free leathers and boots.
after that... you're out of luck because you're going to want to go every freaking track day!!!!

you can spend anywhere from 100.00 bucks to 150.00 just depend on what you need.

Let us know if you need anything.
floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #11
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Bike(s):
www.shortfilmproductions.org
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Thanks Obed.

By far, the cheapest way to get your first track day done is with Ridesmart. (www.ridesmart.info) Free leather and boot rentals for first time track riders and I'm sure we can get you set up with a 50% off.

So, you'll need a roll of painters tape ($4), 4 gallons of gas in your tank and 5 gallons on the side ($35). Lunch is free if you don't do the track day at TWS (Texas World Speedway) (they don't allow Ride Smart to cook). And around $70 for the track day fee. Everything after that is a luxury (fans, snacks, drinks, etc)

Then you just have to get yourself there.

Otherwise, you can go to any of the other 648936458230 track day orgs for a bit more and you'll have to figure out your gear (borrow or rent).

After the first one, the start up cost goes through the roof. So go wherever your schedule permits.
+1000000
STREET SCHOLARS PRODUCTIONS-Hookit
Rykoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #12
j_e_hurst
Josh

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
Back on a GSXR!!! 08 600

The first time isn't that expensive. Its all the ones after that that really get into your wallet. I'd suggest riding with RideSmart you're first time since they offer free leather and boot rentals for first timers. All you need to buy is gauntlet gloves and the price of the track day. Most of the time RideSmart will offer 50% of for first timers which comes out to $60-$75 depending on which track you go to. After is when you start buying leathers and boots and tires and more tds, that's when it adds up. Hope to see you out at the track soon, its a blast and worth every penny!
Old 09-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #13
CombatM0NKEY
Call me TOOTs..

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
1995 Honda Shadow 600VLX

Honda Xr50

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to CombatM0NKEY Send a message via MSN to CombatM0NKEY Send a message via Yahoo to CombatM0NKEY
do u have to buy Gauntlets?
CombatM0NKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:47 AM   #14
Spiffy

Bike(s):
GSXR 750

Whats a good beginner leather suit? Or one in general.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:14 AM   #15
j_e_hurst
Josh

Bike(s):
Back on a GSXR!!! 08 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatM0NKEY View Post
do u have to buy Gauntlets?
Yes, gauntlets are required.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:14 AM   #16
j_e_hurst
Josh

Bike(s):
Back on a GSXR!!! 08 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post
Whats a good beginner leather suit? Or one in general.
One that you can afford
Old 09-05-2012, 07:39 AM   #17
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

The basics have been mentioned. To add, I would try to hitch a ride or at the very least pit with a buddy who's been a few times. They will help you make sense of everything going on. During the first few outings, it's best to try to not get overwhelmed with everything else and be able to concentrate on the ridingg itself.

the first few days are cheap, if you don't crash, the ones after that get expensive bc you all of a sudden want to upgrade everything on your bike.

Get out there and have fun. It's the most fun you'll have with your clothes one.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #18
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
By far, the cheapest way to get your first track day done is with Ridesmart.

4 gallons of gas in your tank and 5 gallons on the side ($35). Lunch is free.
Not completely true.

You could corner work and ride at any of the other orgs. They provide free lunch.

You could post up if you needed a ride and someone going the same way with some extra room could pick you up.

You could also post up that you are looking to borrow some gear to get on the track. Most people would let you borrow to get your first one out of the way.

If you really suck you could just show up to the trackday and moch water, shade and gas off of everyone there. But dont do that. I have that area covered and we dont need two of us out there.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:57 AM   #19
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

John, not sure about that corner working thing for credit to do a first time track day....I hope no one is allowing corner working by folks with zero track experience.... to me corner working is too important a job to have someone out there who does not have a clue what is happening.... corner working should be taken seriously and only have folks out there who know what to do if goes south... and do it quickly. corner working for trackday credit is great, but should be done by folks who have been to trackdays and know what it is about....
Old 09-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #20
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
John, not sure about that corner working thing for credit to do a first time track day....I hope no one is allowing corner working by folks with zero track experience.... to me corner working is too important a job to have someone out there who does not have a clue what is happening.... corner working should be taken seriously and only have folks out there who know what to do if goes south... and do it quickly. corner working for trackday credit is great, but should be done by folks who have been to trackdays and know what it is about....

Very good point. It is not something that is hard to do but requires a person with common sense and you know how people are now a days. Most lack.
That is how I got started with trackdays. Sometimes they put people that have never corner worked with someone that has. Corner working is very serious business.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement