MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
SideVinder650

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen

Thumbs up Grassroots Support for a Bill allowing "Filtering" and "Lane Sharing"

Hi guys, with Texas' Legislation convening January 8th 2013, I'm wanting to start a campaign to reform motorcycle laws or atleast start talking about ways we can fix the broken motorcycle laws in our state/city.

Namely, I'd like to allow filtering at stoplights thru stopped traffic for motorcycles to "filter" to the front of traffic lights.

Also, lane sharing ("slow filtering") on the highway at speeds Less than or equal to 15 miles per hour. (this solves the rush hour problem)

I want to address the parking situation. Motorcycles should be able to park on the sidewalk (public property) that is in a safe, out of the way area anywhere dowtown, mid-town or in the suburbs. Motorcycles are shining examples of how vehicles can be parked in a city and we should not have to suffer for it. The "Treat motorcycles like cars" option does NOT work. Ever park your car in a meter'd spot to find that someone has tried to squeeze in "on top" of you? Ever been scared to park down-town on the weekend behind the last metered spot and the cross-walk behind it because your scared that the guy in the metere'd spot is going to back into you? I want to specifically address this issue. Or atleast bring some clear cut answers to it, most meter-maids wouldnt know what to do in the situation and would just write you a ticket out of default.

Are there any other concerns that motorcyclists have that need to be addressed? I believe a formal petition would be in order, maybe start w/ an e-petition, but something we can actually bind and plop onto one of our congressmens desk.

The next legislative session (for the next 2 years) is right around the corner, and everyone knows that if we're on-time we're late, and if we're late, our bill may not even get a chance to die in committee.

Last edited by SideVinder650; 08-28-2012 at 02:01 PM.
SideVinder650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is this a re-post? "Fastest" MotoGP full length documentary sequel to "Faster". eltejano General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 05-27-2011 10:23 AM
Good Bye "Habeas Corpus", Hello "Enemy Belligerent Act of 2010" CaJuNsOuLjA The Circus 70 03-12-2010 03:22 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

these texas rednecks would run you over if they have to sit in traffic and you get to go. It would just kill them and as a result they would most assuredly pull their truck/car over some to close the lane your filtering in. They are not used to it here like in cali. and these narrow minded redneck around here would inflict injury.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

You'll never get anywhere trying to park on the sidewalk...handicapped (and able bodied) people need a clear safe path of travel. Good luck with your quest, you're going to need it.
jetcycles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
SideVinder650

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen

Thats why there needs to be complete NEW advertisements and a whole program to make people more aware of motorcycles.

Take this flawed (almost useful) commercial for example (good start but ignores one key problem). I'm sure you saw it over summer on T.V.

"Motorcycles arent invisible ... but they can seem that way to drivers who arent paying attention."

Thats what's wrong with the commercial "to drivers who arent paying attention"

The commercial was 100% INEFFECTIVE because (generalisation)all cagers are selfish and actually believe THEY ARE PAYING ATTENTION 100% of the time, even when TALKING on a CELL, even when TXTING, even when EATING, or putting on MAKEUP, no matter, because THEY"RE STILL Paying attention (/rant, /generalisation)

but you can see why the wording alone makes that commercial wholly ineffective...
now re-write that commercial and introduce some new legislature in it like the new law allowing motorcycles to filter up to the front of the line and thru stand-still traffic and you have a problem solved... thats all im going for, and im looking for like minded people who want to reform the laws, not nay-sayers so lets try and keep those types of comments in another thread.

Last edited by SideVinder650; 08-28-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

i agree w/ lanesplitting
not parking on sidewalks.

L/S has been tried 2x before in the TX house
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Hope you have big $$$ to pay a lobbyist or donate to someone of power because that is how things get done...common sense has nothing to do with it!
jetcycles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

just start doing it now in protest of the current law (Civil Disobedience???).

I have actually been doing it more and more. In this heat, I'm not going to sit there and get a heat stroke. My health vs the law, health comes first.

I thought people's heads would explode but only a few people seem to get really angry. Most don't see you till your infront of them. I do keep a helmet cam so that may keep people in check I don't know.

I wrote my reps about this last time it came up....

So, F it, do it anyway. I have a great lawyer for COH.
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
SideVinder650

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen

Well I was assuming that Texas was a state that supported I&R but as I'm researching here, I'm finding out that we do NOT support I&R and G.W. Bush effectively instilled anti-I&R legislation in our constitution to stop it from ever passing again. I did not realize this at first and thought all we would need was something like 15-20% of Signatures of the last election's worth of voters on a petition to get the bill introduced (like in normal I&R states)

Now: what they did in France (Italy?) When they tried to restrict the motorcycles laws was, the bikers teamed up in the morning and rode side by side thru the major free-ways of the city effectively stopping ALL traffic from moving, which is one way we could get our message out there.

I agree w/ the poster above, its time for people to become aware whether they like it or not, some bikes are aircooled, and the heat is just too extreme and even when its not hot, there are just too many people in too many cars, motorcycles should be revered for their efficiency in a city and allowed to navigate the roads as such.

Last edited by SideVinder650; 08-28-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #9
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
www.shortfilmproductions.org
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street

Member Garage

https://www.facebook.com/groups/152994141430441/
STREET SCHOLARS PRODUCTIONS-Hookit
Rykoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #10
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

A bill has been presented when possible since 2006....each time it's stalled in comittee.

Deliberately pising people off to draw attention is not the way to go about things either, all that proposal does is draw more bad publicity and makes it harder not easier to get potentialy positive changes made.

Get off your duff, contact the past comittee members and convince them that lanesplitting etc are good ideas. Do the same to state reps/senate members...

Quote:
thats all im going for, and im looking for like minded people who want to reform the laws, not nay-sayers so lets try and keep those types of comments in another thread.
Try listening to folx who may have already been involved in this prior to your coming here, and then listen to the 'naysayers' to learn what you've got to deal with when it comes to trying to convince the house, senate and comittee members, and John Q. Public.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #11
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I don't agree with parking on the side walk either
Old 08-28-2012, 02:57 PM   #12
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

who is "Deliberately pising people off to draw attention" ?

I just provide a real life example of how well it works. I don't give a darn if people get or not.

I honestly thought the cagers would be more hostile about it.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #13
rhenriksen

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'07 Bandit 1250
'03 CBR 600 racebike (parting out)
2013 Ducati Streetfighter 848
1984 Honda V65 Sabre (stolen)

I'm all in favor of finding a legislator to sponsor this bill again. Bemoaning that previous attempts haven't succeeded is unproductive. It's not uncommon to take several attempts before building enough support for a bill to push it through.

I'm happy to be one of the squeaky wheels contacting committee members to help it along. I also have a friend who'd be very helpful in getting it through the calendar committee.
rhenriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #14
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90degree View Post
I agree w/ the poster above, its time for people to become aware whether they like it or not, some bikes are aircooled, and the heat is just too extreme and even when its not hot, there are just too many people in too many cars, motorcycles should be revered for their efficiency in a city and allowed to navigate the roads as such.
once you start elevating a bike's' flaw to try and pass laws the faster your gonna get it tossed out.

if a bike or biker can't handle the heat, DRIVE A CAR or take a bus. thats a BS excuse.

the common man already hates bikers, saying they should get special privilage cuz they can't handle the heat is going to get you nowhere.

work on making traffic flow more effiicient
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:24 PM   #15
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

thats one of the smartestest things you have said in the recent past ed.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:25 PM   #16
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

hey it is your dream, go do it.
you will have lots of opposition, some coming from the biker community itself.
opposition is to be expected, that is why we have the laws we now have...
public education will be needed and that will cost some bucks...things can get done if you have enough time, money and dedication to the issues you raised...we have the helmet laws we have because enough folks put their money where their mouth was...Texans don't like being told what to do, that can work against you, but it can work for you too...
Old 08-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #17
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

While I don't agree with lane splitting, filtering, or parking on sidewalks........I'm in a generous mood, so here's some advice.

EVERYONE seems to agree that if we legalize lane splitting, there will have to be some type of public awareness campaign.

The people that want this bill passed can never answer two questions.

1) What type of public awareness campaign are you proposing and do you have the support of the entities that will need to put it into action?

2) How is it going to be paid for?

Until someone can answer those two questions with viable answers, lane splitting has about a snowball's chance in of getting passed here.

That's the "main" reason it keeps getting stalled in committee.

There's my good deed for the year.
Challen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #18
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

what if we ALL start splitting now

make it one of those laws that is broken so much it dosn't get inforced

We should plan a lane splitting day

either way

if there is a wreck, I'm NOT waiting for it to clear if I can fit between the cars.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #19
slowposer
pose slower

Bike(s):
bikeless :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterTrash View Post
these texas rednecks would run you over if they have to sit in traffic and you get to go. It would just kill them and as a result they would most assuredly pull their truck/car over some to close the lane your filtering in. They are not used to it here like in cali. and these narrow minded redneck around here would inflict injury.
gotta agree...they hate it...and on top of that cagers suck as a whole in houston making filtering pretty dangerous...i would think there would be too much in the sense of adaptation to make this worth it...just filter when you can.
slowposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #20
SideVinder650

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen

Quote:
While I don't agree with lane splitting, filtering, or parking on sidewalks........I'm in a generous mood, so here's some advice.

EVERYONE seems to agree that if we legalize lane splitting, there will have to be some type of public awareness campaign.

The people that want this bill passed can never answer two questions.

1) What type of public awareness campaign are you proposing and do you have the support of the entities that will need to put it into action?

2) How is it going to be paid for?

Until someone can answer those two questions with viable answers, lane splitting has about a snowball's chance in of getting passed here.

That's the "main" reason it keeps getting stalled in committee.

There's my good deed for the year.
1. A campaign similar to the not-very-conducive "look for motorcycle" commercials they have now, only written properly and with the necessary information included to make these new would-be-inclusions to the law known to the public
2. Why, with the same money we're spending now of course, on other Motorcycle Safety Ads, Drunk Driving Ads, Anti-Weed-Driving Ads...theres beaucoup money out there being wasted dont just believe it all has to "come from somewhere," it comes right out of our paychecks every week.

edit: If I could edit the original post one MAJOR way to solve this problem is to make all HOV lanes 2-Lane roads and have them running 24-hours a day inbound/out-bound. That would solve all the issues in the OP in a nutshell for me, and might get passed easier.

Last edited by SideVinder650; 08-28-2012 at 04:51 PM.

Advertisement