MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2007, 01:27 PM   #1
wiz
Brain Surgeon

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
03 954 & 99 F4

47 horsepower...this can't be true can it

Harleys can be made to perform, but you have to rebuild them from the ground up and by the time that you get any decent performance out of a Harley, you could have bought two or three Japanese bikes for cash. Harley's fastest motorcycle, the Sportster, isn't anywhere near deserving of its name. There is no "sport" to the Sportster, and with a 883cc engine pushing out a meager forty seven horsepower, If the Harley Sportster made anywhere near what it's displacement could be, it would be a much better motorcycle. As it is, there are some imported single cylinders and some 250cc Japanese sport bikes that put out more horsepower than Harley's 883cc.

A Harley isn't a motorcycle. Not a real motorcycle. It is nothing more than a rolling image, a self-propelled personal public relations machine that you rent for your ego, a facade that you strap your legs over when you want to show off to the rest of the world that you are something that you really aren't.

"Hey! I ride a Harley! I'm bad! Don't mess with me or you'll be sorry!"

How can you be bad when you don't have any performance? How can you be bad when everything else in the world will whip your and hand it to you on a silver platter? How bad are you when a 250cc rice rocket will eat your 883cc Sportster for lunch? I just don't understand the logic behind the image without any performance to back it up ... It's an empty threat. Since when did being bad mean that you got stomped by everything else in the world?

A scooter will get you from point A to B, and that's what I consider a Harley to be. A big, overpriced ego boosting scooter, geared for people too timid to make a statement to the world any other way than through noise and flash and by paying lots of money. Only posers and wannabes buy Harleys. Oh, and buy the required wallet on a chain, the leather jack boots, the German war helmet, and be sure that your HD comes with all the go-fast goodies like studded leather saddlebags, tassels, and a three square foot windshield. They're essential to the "bad" image.
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My new ride.....:) Has alot of horsepower Jay General Discussion (Moto Related) 37 01-16-2009 10:04 PM
499 horsepower anyone? Homebrew Performance and Modifications 4 09-24-2007 12:28 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-26-2007, 01:28 PM   #2
paniro187

so a real motorcycle is a one that has 100+ hp and more ability than just about anyone on earth can use fully??

do you use all of the hp either of your bikes have??

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:31 PM   #3
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

uhm...the 883 sportster is not anywhere near the fastest Harley made.
StreetRod I believe.

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:33 PM   #4
Vandals
Scooter

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2003 Yamaha r1
1981 Honda Trail 110 -"The Tank"

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniro187
so a real motorcycle is a one that has 100+ hp and more ability than just about anyone on earth can use fully??

Ive used all the HP out of the 250.. all 5 horses that is:laughing6 :laughing6
Vandals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:36 PM   #5
wiz
Brain Surgeon

Bike(s):
03 954 & 99 F4

Quote:

i'm asking a question....copied this from another forum and pasted it here. the freaking post was acually four of five pages long. even got tired of reading it. i just wanted to know if the sportster only had 47 horsepower.

Old 01-26-2007, 01:37 PM   #6
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

"Since when did being bad mean that you got stomped by everything else in the world? "

Since when does being bad mean going fast?

Speed and horsepower are great, as Im sure most on this site will agree to, but its not everything. I own a big liter bike like you and I doubt if I will ever use it to its full capacity.

I agree that Harley culture is ridiculous, but your attacks are way off the mark.

So, Ill ask you this. Whats sadder? A guy riding a bike that he is well within his skill level in operating the bike OR a guy that is riding a bike that is out of his skill level?

Again, I dont so much like HD, but I gotta point out .

Khaki shirt.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:39 PM   #7
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

and Im not calling you out either Wiz, im just playing devils advocate to make a point.

Khaki shirt.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:40 PM   #8
paniro187

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz
i'm asking a question....copied this from another forum and pasted it here. the freaking post was acually four of five pages long. even got tired of reading it. i just wanted to know if the sportster only had 47 horsepower.

sorry it just irks me when i see that someone has wrote a post abotu a subject they know little about. that's why i irk myself cause i do it all the time.

Old 01-26-2007, 01:42 PM   #9
wiz
Brain Surgeon

Bike(s):
03 954 & 99 F4

Quote:
Originally Posted by less_than_coop
"Since when did being bad mean that you got stomped by everything else in the world? "

Since when does being bad mean going fast?

Speed and horsepower are great, as Im sure most on this site will agree to, but its not everything. I own a big liter bike like you and I doubt if I will ever use it to its full capacity.

I agree that Harley culture is ridiculous, but your attacks are way off the mark.

So, Ill ask you this. Whats sadder? A guy riding a bike that he is well within his skill level in operating the bike OR a guy that is riding a bike that is out of his skill level?

Again, I dont so much like HD, but I gotta point out .

as stated i'm asking a question about the 47 horsepower. i don't know one way or the other. a rider is a rider to me. i could care less what you ride. I COPIED SOME OTHER GUYS RANT....MAYBE I SHOULD HAVE SAID THAT FROM THE START.......
Old 01-26-2007, 01:46 PM   #10
wiz
Brain Surgeon

Bike(s):
03 954 & 99 F4

Quote:
sorry it just irks me when i see that someone has wrote a post abotu a subject they know little about. that's why i irk myself cause i do it all the time.
if i don't ask questions i'll just be a dumb azz and not know when someone is trying to jerk my chain. hince the reason for the post.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:48 PM   #11
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Sorry, couldnt tell it was a copy paste. it just looked like you were getting up on a soapbox.

Khaki shirt.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:50 PM   #12
paniro187

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz

A scooter will get you from point A to B, and that's what I consider a Harley to be. A big, overpriced ego boosting scooter, geared for people too timid to make a statement to the world any other way than through noise and flash and by paying lots of money. Only posers and wannabes buy Harleys. Oh, and buy the required wallet on a chain, the leather jack boots, the German war helmet, and be sure that your HD comes with all the go-fast goodies like studded leather saddlebags, tassels, and a three square foot windshield. They're essential to the "bad" image.
and no posers and wannabes buy sport bikes let me tell ya. :confused1

Old 01-26-2007, 01:58 PM   #13
BrutusTx

Member Garage

Quote:
Nope..........never!!!:laughing6 :laughing6 :laughing6
Old 01-26-2007, 02:01 PM   #14
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:

WHAT!!!?!?!?! They sell bikes to underqualified riders?!?!?! You mean they dont require a driving test on a track first?!?!?!?! ALL YOU NEED IS THE CASH AND NO SKILL!?!?!?!

^^^if i lay the sarcasm on any thicker it'll get difficult to walk around.

Khaki shirt.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:12 PM   #15
DAHORN

Bike(s):
'06TRIUMPH BONNEVILLE,SPEED TRIPLE T509

Send a message via AIM to DAHORN
wiz, your sadly misinformed and you or whoever wrote this should ride a 250jap bike , then a 883 . silly , i want my time back for reading this
Old 01-26-2007, 02:51 PM   #16
MadseasoN

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

I think torque has a lot to do with it too. The 250 makes 47HP at what RPM? 12K?

The HD will probably make 47HP at 3K or 4K.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:06 PM   #17
Chris24
Thread Savior

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
well im not trying to take one side or another, but

one guy who is using 100% of 47 hp, is still using less power than i guy using 75% of 100hp. and as far as tourque, i think about any sportbike can get to 47hp in less time than any cruiser. what rpm they are at is less important.

ill also say, ive read with who was it...i think greenway smokey has a sportster 1200. yeah, he couldnt really go past 120 or so, but when we were cruising around downtown, very aggresivly, it was scary. if i wasnt shifting perfect, etc he would pull on my litre bike.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:10 PM   #18
Chris24
Thread Savior

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
ill also throw in that being bad is about being bad. it doesnt matter what you ride. performance has nothing to do with it. if someone talks about your woman, and you bust a bottle over their head...and then stab them with it...your bad.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:20 PM   #19
jus10

Bike(s):
KX TooNifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris24
ill also throw in that being bad is about being bad. it doesnt matter what you ride. performance has nothing to do with it. if someone talks about your woman, and you bust a bottle over their head...and then stab them with it...your bad.
Ka chowwww.... bikers in general are portrayed by those who dont ride as "bad".... it's a joke really
jus10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 10:17 AM   #20
jrock
straight shooter

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
Quote:
Originally Posted by denhou1974
I think torque has a lot to do with it too. The 250 makes 47HP at what RPM? 12K?

The HD will probably make 47HP at 3K or 4K.
Thats right , more or less.
Torque is where its at as far as v-twins.
I dont think a 250 ninja will eat a sportster for lunch. But then again rider skill will be the deciding factor in all that squidlyness
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement