MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > Performance and Modifications
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2007, 03:48 AM   #1
Buck Nasty
-playboy-

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):

Fork questions

Well guys its just about time for another bike, ive decided im gonna go ahead and get myself a trackbike either the 600rr, or the 04-05 gsxr750 which ever one i find first. Im gonna try to install a headlight, tail lights, plate so i can take it on the street too, so i have a few questions..

First,
I see alot of different types of forks installed on track bikes, everything from the "ohlins 25mm cartriges" to AK20's, to racetech .90, to penske stuff. Im only guessing the .90 is the size of the spring or something but thats all i know,
Id like to know which is better then the other and what that 25mm means. Guess i just need some basic suspension info.

Second,
I also read that after market suspension need to be serviced alot, how much does somethign like that usualy run, and would it be a bad idea using the trackbike on the road every other day? Thanks for the help :icon_smil
Buck Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
N00b questions: What front forks do I have and TMGP tire questions E-Train Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 4 10-24-2013 08:04 AM
fork LEAK dirty3rdpimpin How To's and Q & A's 8 01-17-2013 10:25 PM
fork springs ???????????????????? H2447INTX General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 05-28-2010 03:08 PM
NEED HELP: Fork swap scratchmaster_J General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 09-09-2008 05:07 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-26-2007, 04:23 AM   #2
speedismo
OCD for speed

hey crash kid, wassup!:icon_bigg
will let experts answer the first ques, but if u r on aftermarket suspension and stuff, then definitely a bad idea to run the bike on street EVERY OTHER DAY!

so u plannin to start racin or still stickin to just trackdays?

Travelomy:Simplify your travel.
speedismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:09 AM   #3
Gigolo Jason

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
BMW R1200C

The .90 is the spring weight. Thats all I know.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:50 AM   #4
andre3k
I see dead people...

Feedback Rating: (1)

go to roadracinghelp.com
Marcus, has a good suspension guide and explains this stuff in detail. I would say run your stock stuff and see how it works to begin with, especially if you are on the lighter side.

Have you measured sag on both the forks and shock to see where you stand on your spring rate?
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:48 AM   #5
ownage
Banned

User is banned

ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:06 AM   #6
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Jason is correct, the .90 designation is the spring rate. For your weight it may even be lighter.

As far as suspension choices, it's sort of like tires, all are good, it just depends which one suits you best.

Alot of it is how well your tuner of choice communicates with you and how responsive he is to your input.

Stock on either of those bikes is o.k. for the average rider doing track days, but even a novice can feel the difference made by having premium suspension components;

"The best you've ever ridden is the best you know."

If all you've ever ridden is stock, it's difficult to quantify a statement that "it's good enough"

If you're racing the bike and want to be competitive, having your suspension done is the best way to go.

As far as service frequency?

"If you feel a difference when you changed the fork oil, you've waited too long."

On most racebikes NOT doing dual purpose on the street, I recommend changing the oil twice a season; at the beginning and midway through.

Now, by changing oil, I don't mean taking the tube, dumping the oil out and refilling it with fresh oil. (like some tuners do)
I mean disassembling the forks, cartridges and all, cleaning out the cartridges and shim stacks, inspecting the shim stacks and reassembling the forks with fresh oil.

As with any topic, you can get 80 different opinions from 80 different people.
Some will have merit, some will be from people with limited or no experience.

In the end, my advice is this, pick a tuner you're comfortable with, that does quality work, uses quality components and is responsive to your tuning issues.

My 2 cents.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com

Last edited by Patrick; 01-26-2007 at 10:09 AM.
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:10 AM   #7
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
I ride my trackbike daily. lederman (sp?) engineering forks. ive been riding it daily on the street for almost a year. i think the seals are starting to leak a little bit. the only thing i really avoid is the whoolies, cause somehow i dont think they would be good for race forks at all.

i dont really see how riding on the street would be all that different from the track. the street might have a few more bumps but youd be going alot easier on the bike (my ride to work this morning excepted...hey, i was running late...)

other than that, i dont know. i probably need to read up those threads as well, and im really hoping there is some way i can attend patricks suspension class...
Old 01-26-2007, 10:41 AM   #8
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris24
I ride my trackbike daily. lederman (sp?) engineering forks. ive been riding it daily on the street for almost a year. i think the seals are starting to leak a little bit. the only thing i really avoid is the whoolies, cause somehow i dont think they would be good for race forks at all.

i dont really see how riding on the street would be all that different from the track. the street might have a few more bumps but youd be going alot easier on the bike (my ride to work this morning excepted...hey, i was running late...)

other than that, i dont know. i probably need to read up those threads as well, and im really hoping there is some way i can attend patricks suspension class...
The difference is... "race" components use tighter tolerances which bump up how often you should service them. Otherwise you trash an expensive setup. I am using the term "race" loosely. Obviously you can run whatever suspension you want for the street as well but, you will need to address the frequency of maintenance the same as someone racing would.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:43 AM   #9
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Oh, and a GSX-R 750 with racetech forks and Ohlins rear is a dream ride!

Old 01-26-2007, 11:24 AM   #10
Buck Nasty
-playboy-

Bike(s):

thanks for the info guys, I missed a deal on a nicely set up 600rr yesterday but im looking out for one. Hey patrick i dont know what you did to my suspension last time on the f4i, but i want that exact same set up on this next bike.. that was near perfect!
Old 01-26-2007, 11:26 AM   #11
Buck Nasty
-playboy-

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedismo
hey crash kid, wassup!:icon_bigg
will let experts answer the first ques, but if u r on aftermarket suspension and stuff, then definitely a bad idea to run the bike on street EVERY OTHER DAY!

so u plannin to start racin or still stickin to just trackdays?
lmao, im the casey stoner of trackdays huh. did i mention the little hole on the side of my boot where me little toe sticks out of when i ride? ill be draggin toes next time :laughing6 and ill just be doing more trackdays and getting my cmra license
Old 01-26-2007, 11:28 AM   #12
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Nasty
lmao, im the casey stoner of trackdays huh. did i mention the little hole on the side of my boot where me little toe sticks out of when i ride? ill be draggin toes next time :laughing6 and ill just be doing more trackdays and getting my cmra license
Same thing I am doing this year. I am going to try and get my yellow shirt off as well but, the primary goal is to ride as many different tracks as possible.

Old 01-26-2007, 11:41 AM   #13
Buck Nasty
-playboy-

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
Same thing I am doing this year. I am going to try and get my yellow shirt off as well but, the primary goal is to ride as many different tracks as possible.
same here but i hate traveling to get to them, and i thought TWS (Texas World Speedway) was far :eh:
Old 01-26-2007, 11:52 AM   #14
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Nasty
same here but i hate traveling to get to them, and i thought TWS (Texas World Speedway) was far :eh:
I love traveling. Guess I have the jump on you and TWS (Texas World Speedway) is 40 minutes from my house. :icon_bigg

Old 01-26-2007, 12:04 PM   #15
Buck Nasty
-playboy-

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
I love traveling. Guess I have the jump on you and TWS (Texas World Speedway) is 40 minutes from my house. :icon_bigg
yes you do, and whens your next track day? i havnt been to one for 7 months now i believe

Advertisement