MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > Performance and Modifications
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #1
BearZ

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'12 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Member Garage

Anyone tried fabricating CF parts?

Hello MH, I have been watching vids and doing a lot of research on molding and fabricating my own Carbon Fiber parts, not because buying parts is expensive but because I want to do something unique that no one else has. So I was wondering if any of you fine gentlemen or ladies have tried doing it with any success. I'd like to get some tips and pick your brain a bit about where to buy supplies etc.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CF wheels? AFS_Racing Car Forum 21 03-13-2012 05:53 AM
who can help cutting my cf cans DC_The_Boss Performance and Modifications 12 03-28-2009 10:13 AM
fabricating rearsets for vintage triumph Lucky Strike Performance and Modifications 8 11-29-2008 02:55 PM
CF BUSA H2447INTX General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 01-30-2008 11:52 PM
Fabricating Skills? Bgsxr1000 Performance and Modifications 7 05-02-2006 06:12 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-22-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

hit up Bradley gage tell him Dean sent you

c2fracing@gmail.com
Old 08-22-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Its not hard but it IS a pain in the . If you're willing to put in the prep time it will turn out fine.
Having a vacuum pump will make it better but for simple parts it's not a must.
I don't have a source for mat'l but I might be able to answer questions. PM me and I'll do what I can.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:05 AM   #4
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
Blackburn Marine in Kemah has CF supplies. Right off Marina Bay Drive. I use West Systems Epoxy with special clear hardner. CF comes in rolls of 4-8" or they can order sheet material if you are going big.
CMRA expert #413
Get off the keyboard and on your bike for a change...
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #5
Brutus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Beasley View Post
Blackburn Marine in Kemah has CF supplies. Right off Marina Bay Drive. I use West Systems Epoxy with special clear hardner. CF comes in rolls of 4-8" or they can order sheet material if you are going big.
Buck Beasley still on the scene!! Wow. Hope all is well, Buck!
Brutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:49 PM   #6
BearZ

Bike(s):
'12 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Member Garage

I have the CF fabric, got it off eBay. I'll have to check out that place in kemah.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #7
AiJay
AJ... that's the name.

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Huffy 10sp

Send a message via AIM to AiJay Send a message via MSN to AiJay
Never done CF but have done custom fiberglass for many car audio installs. One thing I can tell, don't skimp on the prep. Make sure everything fits and adjust for thickness of material/cutting blades. I made 2-3 fiberglass surrounds before realizing I needed to adjust for thickness of material/blades. I've literally had to scrap dozens of hours of work, because I didn't measure correctly. Goes back to my father's (contractor for 30 years) saying "measure twice, cut once. And before you cut measure twice again." Depth of the blade screwed me over more than once before I finally learned it. Unless you perfect it, just remember you can always cut off more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post
That and piitb.
AiJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:09 AM   #8
BearZ

Bike(s):
'12 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Member Garage

I'll keep that in mind. Being a child of the digital age and a graphic designer especially, the concept of measure twice cut once doesn't really sit right, I mess something up on the computer, I can just hit undo a few times and in good to go. I guess I need to break some old habits.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:45 AM   #9
sullivan

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja EX650R
2005 Yamaha YZ250F

Old 08-30-2012, 02:53 AM   #10
phantomzrex

Bike(s):
2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200R R.I.P.

Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearZ View Post
Hello MH, I have been watching vids and doing a lot of research on molding and fabricating my own Carbon Fiber parts, not because buying parts is expensive but because I want to do something unique that no one else has. So I was wondering if any of you fine gentlemen or ladies have tried doing it with any success. I'd like to get some tips and pick your brain a bit about where to buy supplies etc.
What are your plans? Are you simply going to cover existing pieces w/ C.F. or are you going to make new pieces, if the latter you will need to learn how to make a mold. And the better job you do on this the better your final product will be, A mold will usually be fiberglass(negative impression) finished with straight resin, or gel coat as smooth as poss. its a lot of work for only one item. thats why mfgr. will only produce fairings, bumper kits, or spoilers if they think they can sell hundreds or more because it is not very cost efective to make the molds for only one, But for your personal use you may think its worth while. If you go this route be prepaired for a lot of pain in the work, But you can create some really cool parts.....................If you are just going to cover existing parts not to hard, not much different than applying layers of fiberglass....................PS whatever you choose keep a lot of acetone on hand it is just about the only thing that cuts the resin for cleen up,before it hardens that is, for your Hands, tools etc...etc...
phantomzrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #11
BearZ

Bike(s):
'12 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Member Garage

^That's good to know! I was planning on actually making molds at first but it seems as though just covering the parts would be a bit easier because honestly, I'm going for looks, not weight cutting.

Advertisement