MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2007, 07:37 PM   #1
level5
moving chicane

Feedback Rating: (0)

For those born before 1979.

I got this from another forum. Ahhh, what a good times I had.

Those Born 1930-1979

READ TO THE BOTTOM FOR QUOTE OF THE MONTH BY JAY LENO. IF YOU DON'T READ ANYTHING ELSE---

VERY WELL STATED

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when werode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank Kool-aid made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because,
WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computer! s, no Internet or chat rooms.......

WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

If YOU are one of them. CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good.
While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave (and lucky) their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house, doesn't it?!

The quote of the month is by Jay Leno:

"With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, are we sure this is a good time to take out of the Pledge of Allegiance?"

For those that prefer to think that is not watching over us...go ahead and delete this.
For the rest of us...pass this on.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1979 KZ650 garrick Vintage / Cafe Racers 11 07-24-2014 09:09 PM
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special Chris24 Vintage / Cafe Racers 10 04-29-2012 06:11 PM
june 13 1979.....did you know Homebrew Off Topic 17 06-03-2010 07:50 AM
cl find 1979 kawasaki kz650 loosenoose General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 06-23-2009 07:40 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2007, 07:50 PM   #2
jrock
straight shooter

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
AMEN!! Jay is a biker too.
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:08 PM   #3
rob78
. . . . . . . . .

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Late Model Never-Was

oh the good ole days..................
TMGP #78
Team I Just Wanna Ride #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
go ahead and cry so I can use the tears as lubrication to stick it in you
rob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:10 PM   #4
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob78
oh the good ole days..................

+1
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:14 PM   #5
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Feedback Rating: (6)

Member Garage

i was born in the 80s.. and went through 90% of that.. but i got a REAL rifle and a dirt bike when i was 4 (no helmet) and there are no streetlights in the country.. not even a stop light(or flashing light or anything) in mingus to this day.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:55 PM   #6
AliceInChains02

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
nada

kinda seems like the Jay Leno quote is sarcastic(real issues vs. fake issues)
AliceInChains02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:20 PM   #7
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

All of that was true and it kinda makes me wonder..
Since we grew up that way why are we raising a generation of computer gamers, that watch too much TV, never go outside and are afraid of their own shadows?
I think I know the answer at least in part. Could it be that the media mostly the news media has made us afraid because they only show the negative side of everything? So we teach our kids to be scared a little too.
A good example is the ice storm catastrophe last week. i didn't come out from my underhouse bunker for three days.
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:32 PM   #8
rob78
. . . . . . . . .

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Late Model Never-Was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton9698
i was born in the 80s.. and went through 90% of that.. but i got a REAL rifle and a dirt bike when i was 4 (no helmet) and there are no streetlights in the country.. not even a stop light(or flashing light or anything) in mingus to this day.
I feel ya, I grew up in the country aswell with the only light was the porch light... Running the woods with a bb gun and a rambo knife straped to my wasit. :icon_bigg
TMGP #78
Team I Just Wanna Ride #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
go ahead and cry so I can use the tears as lubrication to stick it in you
rob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:08 PM   #9
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee
All of that was true and it kinda makes me wonder..
Since we grew up that way why are we raising a generation of computer gamers, that watch too much TV, never go outside and are afraid of their own shadows?
I think I know the answer at least in part. Could it be that the media mostly the news media has made us afraid because they only show the negative side of everything? So we teach our kids to be scared a little too.
A good example is the ice storm catastrophe last week. i didn't come out from my underhouse bunker for three days.
A lot has changed due to government intervention/laws, new ideas, and media.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:19 PM   #10
issanni
assfault

Feedback Rating: (3)

Send a message via MSN to issanni Send a message via Yahoo to issanni
+1
Old 01-24-2007, 12:21 PM   #11
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Feedback Rating: (6)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob78
I feel ya, I grew up in the country aswell with the only light was the porch light... Running the woods with a bb gun and a rambo knife straped to my wasit. :icon_bigg
werd... i never owned a bb gun until i was in the army.. and i just got it to shoot birds at the barracks because the confiscated my paint ball gun...
Old 01-24-2007, 12:39 PM   #12
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good.
A LOT of it is Marketing. Marketing switched from producer-oriented to consumer-oriented and psychology plays such a huge role these days.

Fear Marketing for example: Who tells you that you will get sick unless you use Lysol everywhere or who tells you that you will use your family in the mall unless you don't have a cell with familytalk? It is all Marketing, which has truly exelled. After all, it is the innovation of the people who ate the worms and walked blocks to see a friend.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:50 PM   #13
BrutusTx

Member Garage

Yeah, they always talk about the "good Old Days"........they tend to overlook some of the that went on back then. Times were different......but there was good AND bad just like now. You just didn't have 700 cable channels and the internet to update you every 10 seconds on how F'd up things were......:eh:

Advertisement