MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #21
Rael
Communist Plant

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

From what I've read the change from 4v to 8v and 1100 to 1200 in the griso opened up the top end while keeping that comfortable grunt down low. I've only rode the 1200 8v so this is all hearsay, although its credibility is enhanced because it is consistent across most reviews.

The 1200 8v really wakes up above ~5500-6000 rpm and drives hard to the redline at ~8200. It is very relaxed from 2000-5000, great for cruising, there is a dip from 5000-5500 almost as if the engine is gathering itself, and then it explodes.

In short it is easy going when you need it, but it wants to be caned, hard.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moto Guzzi Race Bike grsa General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 11-15-2012 10:34 PM
Moto Guzzi V7 Stone Volfy General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 10-01-2012 08:16 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2012, 10:26 PM   #22
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterchild2 View Post
I am really good at spending other people's money! Maybe look at the BMWK1300S to replace the Concourse! Just a thought!
You are good. For a while now, K1300S and VFR1200 have been on the top of my short list. The K-S dropped out off a bit after a test drive at the Mancuso SW OpenHouse a few month ago. The engine was as powerful as I expected, but it buzzed me everytime I rolled off the throttle. I couldn't understand why BMW didn't do anything to quelch that annoying 2X RPM buzz. May be it was a well-abused test bike.

VFR was much smoother and has the least shaftie driveline lag I've ridden. Don't much care for the exhaust note though, compare to older VFRs.

Like the Concours, these just feel like precision automatic rifles when I really want is a nice lever gun.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:02 AM   #23
lucydad

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2007 Kawasaki EX 500
1971 Honda 175 Scrambler
1967 Honda Mini Trail 50
1966 Honda Super 90

Volfy,

Moi? Ne pas---the expression was for the video, and made with a light heart. Apologies for any offenses to anybody. Please don't take it seriously.

Je suis une bete American!

I think a lot of the current sport bikes are pretty strange looking beasts. Dame Edna gives me a grin as analog. Some look like versions of science fiction bugs.

Check out the wild goose moto guzzi forum, join up, and the experts there can answer your question on the 8V versus 4V engines. Best of luck.
lucydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:13 AM   #24
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

lucydad, no apology necessary. I wasn't offended at all and just wondering if it was a French expression that meant more than literally. I looked hard for a tongue-in-cheek emoticon to post with, couldn't find one, so picked a chin-scratching one instead. I met a real nice girl from Haiti in highschool and took to French for a little while. Learned just enough to get me in trouble.

Can't wait to see updates on your V7 Racer. Let us know how it goes. I've been lurking over at wildguzzi for a few day reading up on stuff. Will sign up soon.

Last edited by Volfy; 08-10-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #25
J.J. McQuade
DORC MEMBER

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ducati Multi-Strada 1100S
1993 Ducati 900SS (Designated Sweeper)
Acura NSX-T Type R

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
You are good. For a while now, K1300S and VFR1200 have been on the top of my short list. The K-S dropped out off a bit after a test drive at the Mancuso SW OpenHouse a few month ago. The engine was as powerful as I expected, but it buzzed me everytime I rolled off the throttle. I couldn't understand why BMW didn't do anything to quelch that annoying 2X RPM buzz. May be it was a well-abused test bike.

VFR was much smoother and has the least shaftie driveline lag I've ridden. Don't much care for the exhaust note though, compare to older VFRs.

Like the Concours, these just feel like precision automatic rifles when I really want is a nice lever gun.
My buddy Longdraw has an 07 VFR and although it is 800cc it has plenty of power for him; especially when the V-Tec kicks in! You are correct about the newer VFR's exhaust note; they are quite grousome! So you are wanting to stay away from the in-line 4's. I don't think I will ever own another in-line 4 sport bike after riding this KTM! Not that there anything wrong with the Inline 4; but I feel I am always in control of the V-Twin and get a better feel and response! I never feel like the bike is going to take off out from underneath me. My 2010 R1 scared the out me quite frankly! Maybe look at the Ducati Multistrada if you want to stay Italian!
J.J. McQuade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #26
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterchild2 View Post
My buddy Longdraw has an 07 VFR and although it is 800cc it has plenty of power for him; especially when the V-Tec kicks in! You are correct about the newer VFR's exhaust note; they are quite grousome! So you are wanting to stay away from the in-line 4's. I don't think I will ever own another in-line 4 sport bike after riding this KTM! Not that there anything wrong with the Inline 4; but I feel I am always in control of the V-Twin and get a better feel and response! I never feel like the bike is going to take off out from underneath me. My 2010 R1 scared the out me quite frankly! Maybe look at the Ducati Multistrada if you want to stay Italian!
lol, I'm not vertically endowed enough to ride big tall bikes. I have to keep seat height below 32" for street riding. That rules out just about every adv tourer out there.

Anyhow, the only place I really like the Inline4 is at the track. The Gixxer's 15k redline give that more more speed range to keep the engine in the power band without having to shift. On the street, I would never want to be riding at 10k-12k RPM all day long like on the track.

To me, V-twins and triples just have a swagger (or joie de vivre, since we are spitting frog legs here) in the way they go about delivering power. I like the visceral part as much as their tractable power.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #27
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600