MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
mtthwhen

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2005 honda cbr F4I

Member Garage

starter gear???

So I havent gotten a bike yet but while im looking and saving i want to get the right gear. I want to know the best gear, best price and best place to get it.
mtthwhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need GSXR1000 starter Modlite29 Performance and Modifications 1 05-04-2013 12:59 PM
Starter out? sashapetro How To's and Q & A's 7 04-07-2011 09:07 PM
Joe Rocket Gear In Stock @ Motorcycles Unlimited, Lot's of Gear At Super Pricing!! Patrick Motorcycles Unlimited 7 10-06-2009 07:29 AM
starter bike gdkos09 General Discussion (Moto Related) 40 05-25-2007 09:17 AM
starter bikes Eltejano719 General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 06-01-2006 06:12 AM
Advertisement
Old 08-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

In town or on the net?

In town swing my Motorcycles Unlimited. They guarantee the fit.

Online? Start googling Alpinestars.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

If you're going to take an MSF class, then wait. We'll talk about the right kind of gear during class, and if you come to us, you'll get a buttload of coupons to use at the end of class.

If you aren't taking the MSF class (or you're going to one of those "other" places ), then hit up Motorcycles Unlimited, 2 Wheel Toyz, or Wild West for gear.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
mtthwhen

Bike(s):
2005 honda cbr F4I

Member Garage

i plan on taking the msf class and i dont think ill be going to you.. too far
Old 08-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
BaoPee
12 yr old Asian boy

Feedback Rating: (8)

Trackdays: 1

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=232779

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=218232

info@halffastgroup.com
BaoPee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
chevy42083

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg
'07 650r Stolen/recovered

Everyone has a different opinion on gear brands and price points.
You may decide that the $500 helmet really is worth the price over the $100 one. And the $600 leather jacket over the $150 mesh one. Or vice versa on either account. It's all in what you value.

2 Wheel Toyz has the most gear I've ever seen in one place... never really price checked them.
Wild West Honda has a decent amount (above average), but not bursting with selection in each type of gear.
Motorcycles Unlimited has less in stock, but price and fit garauntee are worth it.

Don't buy online unless you KNOW it fits, or the price is a steal (and you won't mind selling at a loss, or not wearing).

Also, don't overlook riding boots... they are SOOOOO much better. Protection, easier to shift, and breath really well (if you get the right ones).
Old 08-08-2012, 10:30 PM   #7
mtthwhen

Bike(s):
2005 honda cbr F4I

Member Garage

thanks guys. i cant wait to take the class and get to riding
Old 08-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #8
SwimguyZ1000

Bike(s):
2003 z1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtthwhen View Post
i plan on taking the msf class and i dont think ill be going to you.. too far
I dunno Awesome Cycles is just...... AWESOME.
SwimguyZ1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #9
CBRguyIZcool
UkrainianSicilian100%Nerd

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
H-D Sportster 48

Send a message via AIM to CBRguyIZcool
Joe rocket
CBRguyIZcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #10
whomikedao
Physicist

Bike(s):
'09 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(sold)
'05 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636(sold)
Honda Rebel 250

If you want on the net then go to Revzilla.com or Motorcycle-superstore.com
whomikedao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #11
Lowz

Bike(s):
2005 sv650n

I had many in my class that drove long distances to get to awesome cycles for the course. They are the best from what I read and first hand taking my course there. Worth the drive, the instructors are awesome!

I took my course a month ago. It's true about the coupons too

-Lowz
Lowz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #12
CBRguyIZcool
UkrainianSicilian100%Nerd

Bike(s):
H-D Sportster 48

Send a message via AIM to CBRguyIZcool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowz View Post
I had many in my class that drove long distances to get to awesome cycles for the course. They are the best from what I read and first hand taking my course there. Worth the drive, the instructors are awesome!

I took my course a month ago. It's true about the coupons too

-Lowz
Co sign,

Guys at awesome cycles were cool as
CBRguyIZcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #13
So_Ninja
I have candy!

Bike(s):
2012 zx6r

Look around online, find stuff you like then buy local. Support your local retailers vs. some out of town Company. That Being said I know sportbiketrackgear.com does a review for all the products the carry. May want to start there...
So_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:08 AM   #14
kevintx88
too slow too furious

Bike(s):
05 gsxr600 20th anniversary edition

Its good to see youre set on getting gear before you buy a bike though. Its may be hot, but last year I found out how important gear was. I had everything but knee pads and boots... and guess what when I wrecked even though I slid I had some cuts on my knees and I broke my foot, but cause I had a helmet, jacket and gloves I only tore my shoulder muscle alittle and bruised my thumb..

Basically everything that was proteced with gear was a minimal injury. The two areas I had no gear, much worse and painful.

The best thing to do is go to a few stores and try on as much gear as possible what you want to check for is a body snug fit while retaining mobility. If its only slightly tight remember its going to stretch alittle and should become an almost perfect fit. Good brands of jackets are alpine stars, Icon, Joe Rocket, Dainese. Helmets.. HJC, Bell, Icon, Scorpion-EXO, Arai, Shoei,. The rest is kind of just preference. my riding boots are some shin high work boots from academy.

When you get your bike, Start slow dont go out and try and act like superman. Learn how to RIDE your bike, be proactive with your riding not reactive. If you are always having to react to a situation instead of anticipating then well.... your doing it wrong and not paying enough attention.

Anyways good luck! Have fun at the MSF its not everyday you get to tear up somebody elses bike hehehe.
kevintx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:44 AM   #15
iDazzle
dizzle dazzle

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2010 Trek Something
07 Ninja 250 (sold)
07 Kawasaki zzr600
2011 Kawasaki zx6r

im about 45 mins out from Awesome Cycles but I still made a point to learn from there. But....if you dont, im still happy youll still be on 2 wheels.

Cycle Gear has a few locations around town where you can look through their catalog and purchase from them. Pay when it arrives..dont pay if you dont want it/doesnt fit. No Hassle on helmets. But please dont abuse it! I found that CG northside and southeast side has way more selection than sw (59 n Bellaire). 2WheelToyz had a good selection as well...the most for females.

I dont think you should ever ever ever ever ever ever
buy used helmets..you never know how the helmet was handled even if theres no physical damage.
In fact, I never bought anything used until I bought my motorcycle...not even a car!
Gloves..hmm... ok, used I guess. Just make sure the seams are in tact.
Jacket, Boots, Knee/Shin Guards...used are acceptable if needed.

I buy Shoei (helmet) and Alpinestar (jacket and gloves). My one lower brand Joe Rocket glove that cost ~85 tore...and im not even an aggressive driver or anything. It tore on the (finger) Goat skin or whatever the heck it is. Maaaaan. I only bought it bc the pink was darker than other gloves. Never again.

A friend's Scorpion helmet is sooooo loud it screwed up his hearing. He has to wear ear plugs or ear phones to suppress the wind/noise. Dont buy Scorpion!
His Bilt boots hurt him all the time, squeezing his feet, having to take off his boots for relief. At ~70,....save another ~30 of you can and buy a better brand.

Oh. And if you need a motorcycle cover dont buy Bilt. That sucks too. Mine tore, ripped, and is faded. I bought it for on sale for ~20 and wished I shelled out another ~15 for a better brand that would have lasted.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #16
mtthwhen

Bike(s):
2005 honda cbr F4I

Member Garage

look like im going to have to rethink awesome cycles. and when it come to the geari do want to get it first seeing as tho i have so much going on. Im having a big wedding in oct and then i plan on getting my CHL and then the MSF class.

I want to find a bike by that time but with the fund the way they are right now i cant buy anything untill after oct. Im still looking on here and maybe will agree to work out payment with me. if you know anyone give me a heads up. Im not looking for something new. just a good started bike. price range up to 2700.00

Advertisement