Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2007 Kawasaki EX 500
1971 Honda 175 Scrambler
1967 Honda Mini Trail 50
1966 Honda Super 90

bike watching NYC Manhattan...

We are just back from Manhattan, NYC and the Brooklyn area. I watch for bikes where ever I am, all the time. Taking a friendly cab from JFK airport to Manhattan I spotted a Ducati (?) with a passenger doing the lane splitting thing through congested/stopped traffic on a major freeway. Frankly, I had to shake my head as while he was weaving in an out his female passenger was clearly struggling for balance. Then the traffic unlocked, and he had to make several very fast flicks to avoid being creamed by big trucks. I decided: lane splitting is not safe practice. In Manhattan I saw a few bikes, but one stood out at Colombia University: a young guy on a gixxer, very loud, enjoying screaming between dorms. Sweet music, but my daughter who had just finished living there bitched about him.

Harleys seem to be the most common bikes in Manhattan, but compared to Houston bikes are rare. I did see and greet a young man who was very proud of a new, white, shiny Yamaha 600. We chatted for a bit and he was pleased and I showed him my bike pictures.

I would much rather ride here than in that part of New York. The congestion is horrid, and the taxis are ultra-agressive, and the streets very crappy by comparison.

Yup, it is good to be home.

lucydad is offline   Reply With Quote