MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

Yep, I got a speeding ticket so what next?

So I got a speeding ticket a few weeks ago. I was on my way to work early in the morning, on time and not late. I'm entering the HOV lane on I-10 Eastbound and I see that there's a cruiser not far in front of me and I pace him. I check my side mirror and notice another cruise behind me from the amber marker lights (noticed one was out too). The guy in front of me goes faster and faster and too fast for my liking so I back off. I exit to get onto 610 and I see red and blues light up from behind me so I'm thinking he's going after the guy in front of me. NOPE. he's passing me up and signalling for me to pull over. Asks for license and insurance and I pull it out. I gave him a copy of my old insurance, didn't print out the new one yet. Asked me where I was heading and asked if I knew that the guy I was following was his partner. He also said something that they were trying to see if I was going to speed up and pass his partner. Anyways, the biker cop asks if I had taken defensive driving within the year and I said no, so he writes down 84 in a 60 so I can take it. He leaves, and I continue onto 610 north and it begins to rain a lil bit...

So anyways. my court date according to the ticket printed out is in a few weeks. My fine is $277. Do I go online and pay 102.10 or something like that, fill out some paperwork, 10-15 dollars for my driving record, and whatever it costs for defensive driving? Is that the best route to handle it?
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
speeding ticket 1slowR1 General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 08-19-2013 08:21 PM
Speeding ticket?! CTtriple Fresnel Phan Attorney At Law 9 02-17-2012 03:47 PM
Speeding ticket... Smart Shark Fresnel Phan Attorney At Law 26 11-28-2011 11:04 PM
Speeding ticket TONY112083 Off Topic 21 03-17-2006 11:36 PM
how to get out of a speeding ticket cytukyl Off Topic 7 08-31-2005 11:10 AM
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

That's how I handled my last ticket
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
CBR_TRAN
Another Short Asian

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2007 Cbr600rr
1972 cb450 (cafe under construction)
2008 Kawasaki 250r (sold)

I would go to court and hope the officer doesn't show, if he does, you can always have the option to take defensive driving while you're there.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #4
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Call up fresnel?

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
TigerGenetics

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2008 Honda CBR600RR

why does it sound like they baited you into speeding? And if they indeed did that, like he actually seemed to admit, I would fight that. I am not too familiar with Texas law so correct me if I am wrong.
TigerGenetics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
1340HIGH
1340HIGH

Bike(s):
Harley FXDC
420 Honda Rancher ATV

Not sure but I would go to the court hearing.
1) the cop might not turn up.
2) 84 in 60 is not bad I am sure the judge has seen 160 in a 60, advise what happended , your intrest in bikes promted you to speed up a bit to see what kind of bike was in front of you ....

Actually it could almost look as though the first bike actions were delibert to entice you to speed up.

It might not get you out of the ticket but maybe the fine could be reduced.

Just a what the heck it could't hurt, kind of a heres the rest of the story your Honor
1340HIGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRDMAN View Post
Call up fresnel?
+1

Get it deferred and pay fine
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #8
jakeg

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 3 years

I recently got 89 in a 60, a $277 fine also. I'm supposed to go to court Aug. 4th. I paid a lawyer and it should be reset until January/Feb. Hope the cop doesn't show up.
jakeg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #9
CBR_TRAN
Another Short Asian

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2007 Cbr600rr
1972 cb450 (cafe under construction)
2008 Kawasaki 250r (sold)

In my experience, paying a lawyer for your common speeding ticket is like throwing money away... They will just do the SAME thing you can do while you're there. You talk to the prosecutor and they give you your options, that's if the officer shows up. Heck you can even call in yourself and have the date reset, no need for a lawyer to do it.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #10
blaknwite

Bike(s):
KTM SuperDuke
SV650 Track
Shuttleworth 500
Ninja 250
Aprilia SR50 DiTech

Pay it and get deferred adjudication OR take DD.
blaknwite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #11
dabus63
Senőr Member

Bike(s):
04 GSXR 1000
04 R1 (sold)
04 R6 (stolen)
99 GSXR 750 (sold)
1990 YSR 50 (in storage)

Member Garage

hey Cuong, I'd fight it and juss tellda Judge you ride a Ninja 250 and that there's no possible way it could go over 70mph?!?!?

the only easy day was yesterday
dabus63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #12
whomikedao
Physicist

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'09 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(sold)
'05 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636(sold)
Honda Rebel 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR_TRAN View Post
In my experience, paying a lawyer for your common speeding ticket is like throwing money away... They will just do the SAME thing you can do while you're there. You talk to the prosecutor and they give you your options, that's if the officer shows up. Heck you can even call in yourself and have the date reset, no need for a lawyer to do it.
+1
whomikedao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:03 PM   #13
BaoPee
12 yr old Asian boy

Feedback Rating: (8)

1. go to court wait for few hours and reset your court date, and cross your fingers hope the officer does not show up on your new court date. . if officer shows up, you can talk to the DA and ask for either DDC or DEF. (free)

2. hire a lawyer to reset your court date (save few hours of your time), and cross your fingers hope the officer does not show up on your new court date. if officer shows up, your lawyer will help you to reduce the fine or get you DDC or DEF (50.00)

3. be a baller and mail the fines

4. fill and mail the document which came with the ticket, ask for DDC,

if you need HELP with DDC let me know

info@halffastgroup.com
BaoPee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:32 PM   #14
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerGenetics View Post
why does it sound like they baited you into speeding? And if they indeed did that, like he actually seemed to admit, I would fight that. I am not too familiar with Texas law so correct me if I am wrong.
If you're urging that he try for an entrapment defense I'd personally give a big ' no' to that idea. Even if he was entrapped it would be harder to fight and prove it than it would be worth - considering the odds against you being successful.

And in this case it sure doesn't even look like entrapment at all. To be entrapment the cop has to get you to commit a crime that you most likely wouldn't have committed without the officer's involvement. And all he could do is claim that he wouldn't have sped had the officer not been speeding in front of him (good luck with that) and it actually sounds like he went even slower due to the cop's presence.

, the cop even gave him a break on his speed so he can still take defensive or get deferred. I'd say go one of those routes. Save "lawyering up" for when you get a really good "driving award" and you can't handle it on your own and need a lawyer.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #15
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Sprecter.

Do you really want this on your driving record? He's got all mine dismissed. Will cost you a day in court.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:13 PM   #16
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Either def driving or deferred keep them off your record without the extra attorney's fees.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:16 PM   #17
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
I am never adamant about much. I know there is usually more than 1 way to skin a cat, in anything in life.

But this I am going to say cuz I get so frustrated when people won't listen...so this may be my farewell for giving ticket advice.

I used to drive and ride crazy as . Still do sometimes. I probably put 50k miles per year in my truck and about 12k on my bike. All city miles...except for probably 1/2 of the bike miles.

For the last 10 years I have been using the same lawyer for my tickets. He charges $100 per ticket. So...you get a speeding ticket...$100.00. You get a speeding ticket an runnin a red light...$200.00...etc.

I have had probably 25 tickets in the last 10 years. I have NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER...did I say EVER? Been convicted of a SINGLE TRAFFIC violation when I hired this particular lawyer.

Also, I have NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER...did I say EVER? Paid a SINGLE PENNY in court costs.

And finally, I have NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER... did I say ever? Received deferred adjudication.

My driving record is immaculate.

So dont tell me I dont knnow what I am talking about. Don't tell me that this aint true. Don't tell me that it is impossible. Don't tell me anything! I know what the I am talking about and I have lived it.

So, you guys can do what you want....you can listen to people who think they know what they are talking about...you can hire this gimmicky lawyer or that cheap lawyer....I dont care. But I am offerring this advice up one more time, just in case.

His name is David Sprecher. His number is 713-693-2600. He doesnt guarantee that he will get you off, but I am telling you they have a 100% success rate with me, personally.

And yes...you have to go to court and spend a day there.

Don't tell him I sent you, he doesnt pay me. Don't tell him I sent you, I dont get a discount for it. Dont tell him I sent you, he aint my homeboy. I dont give a . I am putting this out there for YOUR benefit.

That is all!

:rant:

Gospel
Old 08-02-2012, 11:28 PM   #18
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

I always hear good things about him. Would be Perfect if you didn't have to go into court at all but I guess you can't have it all.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #19
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
I always hear good things about him. Would be Perfect if you didn't have to go into court at all but I guess you can't have it all.
Yeah. I just bring a book. It is a straight #s game. Sit and wait. Usually out by 1 or 2pm.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:54 PM   #20
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

At certain courts and certain prosecutors u dont need a lawyer. But talk to fresnal first he know which of the prosecutors are more lenient and not. I have used fresnal and some of the tuff ones and he saved me allot of money and no points on my dl. Fresnal is not out to take your money. He even bought me breakfast lol

Advertisement