MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
lucydad

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2007 Kawasaki EX 500
1971 Honda 175 Scrambler
1967 Honda Mini Trail 50
1966 Honda Super 90

Smile Lucydad test rides a MG V7R...

MH,

First serious test ride for me, and may I share impressions? MPH Cycles, the dealer: first rate and superb customer treatment. I rarely mention dealers, but they deserve a gold star.

A MH member also showed up (name pending his approval) with his MG Breva, and that was cool. So, the owner took my yellow Ninja as lead, I was middle, and the red Breva sweeper (thanks for coming--grin).

First takeoff: stalled it after difficulty getting it into first. Ok, no problem. Finally get going and rev the V-twin: interesting right torque sensation. The last time I felt that was in a Piper 206 on floats getting ready to take off from Hood Lake, Anchorage, AK. Cool--unique engine.

Clutch engages quicky and smoothly and this engine has very linear and strong low end torque. First shift into second--missed it, ended in neutral. The shift is long throw, but second and a bit of a twist resulted in a grin. We tooled around some local roads then into some fairly sharp corners on a narrow road with traffic. Cornering on this little cafe is easy, yet I was being careful due to new rubber and not quite knowing the right gear. Don't kid yourself, the MGs can corner, those Italian designers live in the mountains folks.

A big observation: I am very, very calibrated into riding my Ninja. Everything is intuitive as it should be. Hop on any other bike and it feels strange and the risk factor goes up (especially after signing the legal document I bought the bike if I dump it). I know the risk of new tires too.

Conclusion on the V7R: grin. Big grin. Yes, it is a very, very fun bike! It has plenty of power for my riding style. The ride is very smooth, yet the cornering and braking are competent. I wish I could have ridden it home to Sugar Land down from I-10 on highway 99 to get more of a feel. Instrumentation is ideal, and the adjustable rear shocks superb.

So, a great morning for the old man. I feel more and more like a competent rider. I also think the V7R is an excellent fit for me although I do love my Ninja. Comparatively the super high end sport bike acceleration and high end--well: it would be fun, yet a bit over my limits I think. , I raced Ski Doos in high school--I had my fun and near death experiences.

The owner gave no pressure. He said he has another one coming if he sells this one. I am sleeping on it and will decide my next action. The Ducati Monsters intrigue me, there is one deal killer on those Monsters: the small LCD display--hate them. The Triumph STR: one MG owner described them as "gatling guns"--meaning they are near-race bikes packaged for the street? Yet they still intrigue the heck out of me. Maybe I need to test one and know for sure.

Anyway, there it is. I also wore some new heat-out underwear--they are very effective. Comments are welcome as always.

stay safe,
Lucydad
lucydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
European Test Rides are much more fun! sunday_rider General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 12-04-2012 04:48 PM
Question: legal releases, etc for dealer test rides? lucydad General Discussion (Moto Related) 68 01-19-2012 04:31 PM
2011 Harley CVO test rides! morvegil General Discussion (Moto Related) 46 07-29-2010 03:28 PM
Good Tips On Test Rides 04RSVR General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 03-13-2007 06:59 PM
FREE TRIUMPH TEST RIDES FastLine Events, Meets and Rides 22 11-21-2005 11:28 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Sounds like it's time to break out the checkbook.
You love that bike, you know you want it so...

Go get it!!

Then post up pics, bring it out to a meet or 2 and let me ride it, lol.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
lucydad

Bike(s):
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2007 Kawasaki EX 500
1971 Honda 175 Scrambler
1967 Honda Mini Trail 50
1966 Honda Super 90

BBee,

Thanks for your encouragement.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #4
Morphish
Fast for a Commuter

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2004 Suzuki Katana B12
2005 Triumph Rocket ]I[
1983 Honda GL1100 (sold)

Sounds like a perfect fit, bro!
Morphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #5
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Not sure why my post didn't show up but I was trying to say that it's a shame that lucydad started a thread to share his enthusiasm about a bike he's thinking of buying and it turned into a punch fest.
If anything the people posting off topic should be censured.

lucydad, I look forward to hearing about your buying a Guzzi cause I think you will, it sounds like a perfect match and Guzzi's are something different. Nice to see some variety out there.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

Do it !
TomballD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #7
lucydad

Bike(s):
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2007 Kawasaki EX 500
1971 Honda 175 Scrambler
1967 Honda Mini Trail 50
1966 Honda Super 90

Ok, back to the topic, and may peace break out my brothers!

My sleep and church meditations resulted in....drumroll...badda bing...will be revealed shortly pending a question to an esteemed MH rider. HQ, meaning my wife is green light. So, details and timing that will fall into place. Age gives patience. I sometimes over think decisions, in the end gut-feel is most important.

Two things struck me in my deliberations: 1) I like unique, unusual thingy-things in my life, I tend to be on the far end of the lognormal personality type distribution...so a MG V7R "reflects" who I am deep inside 2) a feeling that stuck with me on the test ride--that very unusual engine rev and right torque sensation--I like that, I like that a lot for some reason. Go figure, but there you are.

A question came up on the MG forum: Arrow after markets. They sell the V7R with these installed in Europe. But a MG forum person said: Arrows are not the best for this bike, and they are stamped: "not for street use". Are they illegal, or is this some lawyer covering some technicality? Advice is appreciated, but I think slip on cans are just something to have on this bike.

stay safe and chill,
Lucydad
Old 07-29-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Alot of aftermarket exhausts are labeled this way, so that they do not need to meet DOT emissions regulations. I'd be willing to bet they save alot of R&D this way as well.

Bikes are not emissions tested here, so I'd be more particular about the sound and fuel mixture with different exhaust setups.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #9
grsa

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Your decision will be well thought out. Regarding the aftermarket exhaust, I can not speak for the arrows but I did see and hear a V7 with an aftermarket exhaust and it sounded great. A lot deeper than than the standard and I am sure a bit more power as well.
grsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #10
Rael
Communist Plant

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

The disclaimer is to avoid epa testing at the manufacturer. I've read that the griso is very sensitive to air/fuel mixture changes so I've been leery about an exhaust; the v7 engine may be different though.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #11
The Habernatho

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2012 Street Triple R

Having read some of your other posts, not having ABS was going to be a deal breaker on the next bike purchase. Just curious, but why the change?
Old 07-29-2012, 09:02 PM   #12
lucydad

Bike(s):
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2007 Kawasaki EX 500
1971 Honda 175 Scrambler
1967 Honda Mini Trail 50
1966 Honda Super 90

Habernatho,

On the ABS, good question. My answer is riding a lot on wet streets the past few weeks here in Houston. Bottom line: no problems on my Ninja without ABS. I am pretty good at brake modulation and with a lighter bike rode with care--I think I am ok.

The V7R brakes felt very similar to my EX500 Ninja: single front disk Brembo and rear also, and similar weight of bike and power.

I admit changing my mind. If I could get ABS on the V7, I would. I actually think if I liked the instruments on the Ducati Monster 696-796 ABS, that would have been the bike. The Moto Guzzi, to me, is a better fit than the Monster, and to me a lot prettier and with a bit more character for my personal taste. The Monster's are a very fine and beautiful design though.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #13
lucydad

Bike(s):
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2007 Kawasaki EX 500
1971 Honda 175 Scrambler
1967 Honda Mini Trail 50
1966 Honda Super 90

Rael,

I talked to the MG dealer about aftermarket Arrows on the V7R: he said not a problem since the sensors are before the pipe. I am going to talk to them tomorrow about the cans.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:21 PM   #14
Rael
Communist Plant

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucydad View Post
Rael,

I talked to the MG dealer about aftermarket Arrows on the V7R: he said not a problem since the sensors are before the pipe. I am going to talk to them tomorrow about the cans.
It is a good thing to ask, slip-ons can make a large difference in a bike's fueling at low RPM and partial throttle. Of course a sexy exhaust note is the perfect compliment to a sexy italian twin!
Old 07-29-2012, 09:36 PM   #15
lucydad

Bike(s):
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2007 Kawasaki EX 500
1971 Honda 175 Scrambler
1967 Honda Mini Trail 50
1966 Honda Super 90

Rael,

If I recall correctly, you had a Ducati Monster? So you have a Griso 8v now? If willing, please share your thoughts on your MG. I saw one here in Houston, it is a beautiful machine, way over my skill level and desires though. Do tell....

Yep, I am pulling the trigger on the Moto Guzzi V7R tomorrow. Delivery probably will be around August 10 or so due to my travel schedule. Pictures and adventures later...
Old 07-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #16
Rael
Communist Plant

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

Congrats! I'll be looking for the thread. Also you'll have to head out on the next 3-sisters trip, to properly break the V7R in

The griso captures the positives of the monster and adds comfort and quality. Instead of derailing your thread of new bike glory, PM me.

Advertisement