MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2007, 11:07 PM   #1
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Product Review

O.K., so I was thinking the other day. (I know, I know, it can be a dangerous thing... )

I've been riding / racing almost 30 years now. I've seen lots of cool stuff and lots of NOT so coool stuff come down the pike in that time.

So, what I was thinking, how about doing a weekly product comparison / review?

Granted, it's just my opinion, but it would help give some insight into a product, maybe even one you were considering.

So with that in mind, here's my first one:

Vortex rear stand:

We got a rear stand in today at the shop.

Will we be stocking them? Read on...:dontknow:

After bolting it all together, we did some tests:

The Vortex stand is "convertible", meaning it will work on bikes with spools, or by loosening a couple of allen screw and flipping the brackets you can use it on a non spooled bike.

First we tried it's fit: on most bikes it worked well, however when we tried it on a CBR1000RR with spools, it was too narrow by at least 1/4".
Same on an RC51.

On the other bikes we tested; R6, R1, 636 and GSXR it fit fine.

So, if you have a spooled Honda, you may want to think twice about it.

We flipped the brackets over and tried the stand on several non spooled bikes.

The stand fit every bike we tried it on, and the pads were good enough to prevent scarring the swingarm.

Next, we checked stability; The spooled stand was very stable, almost as stable as a non bolted together premium stand, read: Pitbull.

When using it as a non spooled stand it was also fairly stable.
Although not as stable as when using spools, it was still very serviceable.

Last we looked at the overall quality of the stand;
The finish is tough, although there were places around the slot where the mount goes through were already starting to rust some.

Easily fixed with a bit of spray paint but at this level I expect better corrosion resistance.

The handle is removable with a push of a quick release pin and there is a handy storage place for the handle and axle from your bike, nice features.

The spool brackets were a little crude looking, but worked well enough, and the padded side appeared very durable but wish the part the swingarm is supported by were a little longer.

The bolts loosened a bit after a few dozen lifts but we retightened them and carried on.

The wheels were sturdy, well built and turned freely.

Overall I give the stand an A-.

Although I wouldn't recommend it for heavy duty (read shop) use, it was a very serviceable stand at a price almost $20.00 cheaper than it's competition.

If you're looking for a good quality stand that works well at a good price, this stand is a good bet.

(and yes, we will stock them )

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote