MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2007, 10:10 AM   #1
andre3k
I see dead people...

Feedback Rating: (1)

MotoGP VS AMA Racing

While the two really can't be compared in terms of technology or speed, MotoGP just doesn't appeal to me like AMA superbike racing. MotoGP bikes are one off prototypes using the lightest space age materials available, whereas Superbikes are production based and not much different from something that you can buy of the showroom floor. I guess I can look at my bike and somewhat relate to them more.
I attended the AMA Superbike Nat'l's back in October at Mid-Ohio and it was pretty cool just to be able to go up to a racer and talk with them for a few minutes or get an autograph. Got a chance to meet Pridmore, Spies, Roger Hayden and Danny Eslick. I've heard that its not as easy at a Motogp event. I had access to everything for $55.00, which includes grandstand seats, and paddock passes for three days. I'm avoiding Laguna this year just because of the crowds and the ticket prices are pretty crazy too. Mid Ohio didn't have a large crowd, in fact it was quite small, and about three feet of space between me and the next guy in the grandstands.

How many of yall have been to either and what were your experiences?
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-19-2007, 10:12 AM   #2
paniro187

Feedback Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre3k
While the two really can't be compared in terms of technology or speed, MotoGP just doesn't appeal to me like AMA superbike racing. MotoGP bikes are one off prototypes using the lightest space age materials available, whereas Superbikes are production based and no much different from something that you can buy of the showroom floor. I guess I can look at my bikeand somewhat relate to them more.
I attended the AMA Superbike Nat'l's back in October at Mid-Ohio and it was pretty cool just to be able to go up to a racer and talk with them for a few minutes or get an autograph. Got a chance to meet Pridmore, Spies, Roger Hayden and Danny Eslick. I've heard that its not as easy at a Motogp event. I had access to everything for $55.00, which includes grandstand seats, and paddock passes for three days. I'm avoiding Laguna this year just because of the crowds and the ticket prices are pretty crazy too. Mid Ohio didn't have a large crowd, in fact it was quite small, and about three feet of space between me and the next guy in the grandstands.

How many of yall have been to either and what were your experiences?
ama superbike racing appeals to you??? to watch suzukis win it year after year after year??? LOL WSBK for the win.

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:14 AM   #3
andre3k
I see dead people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniro187
ama superbike racing appeals to you??? to watch suzukis win it year after year after year??? LOL WSBK for the win.
Racing is racing, look at honda and MotoGP. Suzuki owns every year because they invest the time and money to put their riders on winning bikes.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:15 AM   #4
stlal
Superman

Bike(s):
99 F4 Track/2004 Yami Warrior

Send a message via MSN to stlal
Ive never been to either but I just got tickets to the daytona 200 during bike week in march
Old 01-19-2007, 10:25 AM   #5
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
...I had access to everything for $55.00, which includes grandstand seats, and paddock passes for three days.
That's because no one goes to AMA races. Moto GP has 100,000 plus people at their events so pit access and close access are not as easily done.

I've been to the AMA races in Virginia and really enjoyed my experience there but I have not been to a Moto GP event so I cannot compare the 2.

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:25 AM   #6
wd40oz
FlattrackManiac

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'08 Buell XB12xt 'Uly'
CRF450 Flattracker
'10 HD Super Glide (FXD)
'74 Ironhead bobber

While you're in Daytona, try to take in one of the AMA Flattrack races at Municipal Stadium either Mar 7 or 8. I guarantee you will get hooked. word has it that Pastrana might try again to qualify. Last year he missed the 60 rider program by a couple of spots. It's some of the most exciting racing you will ever see. 20 guys handlebar to handlebar, completely sideways and all that action is right in front of you.

Tickets for the Daytona Short Track at Municipal Stadium are available at www.racetickets.com or by calling 1-800-PITSHOP.
wd40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:27 AM   #7
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlal
Ive never been to either but I just got tickets to the daytona 200 during bike week in march
thats awesome, have fun.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:29 AM   #8
stlal
Superman

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd40oz
While you're in Daytona, try to take in one of the AMA Flattrack races at Municipal Stadium either Mar 7 or 8. I guarantee you will get hooked. word has it that Pastrana might try again to qualify. Last year he missed the 60 rider program by a couple of spots. It's some of the most exciting racing you will ever see. 20 guys handlebar to handlebar, completely sideways and all that action is right in front of you.

Tickets for the Daytona Short Track at Municipal Stadium are available at www.racetickets.com or by calling 1-800-PITSHOP.

if its the 8th I might do that
Old 01-19-2007, 10:29 AM   #9
stlal
Superman

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonR1
thats awesome, have fun.

I hope the weather is nice
Old 01-19-2007, 10:34 AM   #10
wd40oz
FlattrackManiac

Bike(s):
'08 Buell XB12xt 'Uly'
CRF450 Flattracker
'10 HD Super Glide (FXD)
'74 Ironhead bobber

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlal
if its the 8th I might do that
It's both days! They have two rounds during bike week
wd40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:39 AM   #11
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Can you say traction control? :laughing6

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:50 AM   #12
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via MSN to alrova Send a message via Yahoo to alrova
I never been to an AMA, WSBK or MotoGP but if you ask me, my preference is:
A) WSBK
B) MotoGP
C) AMA
Old 01-19-2007, 12:03 PM   #13
paniro187

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrova
I never been to an AMA, WSBK or MotoGP but if you ask me, my preference is:
A) WSBK
B) MotoGP
C) AMA
for me it's

1 wsbk
2 motogp
3 wss
4 birtish superbike
5 then maybe ama racing. actually it might be better this year. they need to get rid of formula extreme or make that a up and coming series only. with no factory involvment at all.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:04 PM   #14
paniro187

Quote:
Racing is racing, look at honda and MotoGP. Suzuki owns every year because they invest the time and money to put their riders on winning bikes.
and that's fun for you?? to watch someone run away with it all year. LOL

Old 01-19-2007, 12:10 PM   #15
andre3k
I see dead people...

Quote:
and that's fun for you?? to watch someone run away with it all year. LOL
Yep, I enjoy going to the races...not watching on TV. Thats the main theme of my post. I could care less who wins, I have a Kawi And Yamaha. I'm indifferent to either manufacturer. AMA seems to be more grass roots, which I happen to like. Try getting up close to a MotoGP bike, but at an AMA event I did it all weekend, both factory and privateer.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:14 PM   #16
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
I've been to 3(?) AMA races all at Texas World Speedway, and 2 MotoGP races at Laguna Seca. MotoGP by far is the better show for me.

As far as relating to the bikes. Meh. One of my biggest gripes about AMA racing is that the bikes (especially the factory teams) look stock with a few stickers on them. BOOO-RINNNNGGG. The racing isn't all that great in superbike. Suzuki has been dominating by 'cheating' (traction control vs engine management bs)

Superstock bikes are turning faster times that some of the superbikes.
Superstock should just be eliminated and let supersport have the spotlight again. They should also remove the factory teams from Supersport. What's the point? Put those guys in aren't riding SBK up there to fill out the grid with more, competitive machines.
Just too many classes, but at least they don't have the Harley Class anymore. Although that was probably some of the best/closest racing. I miss the 250 class. :BangHead:

1. MotoGP
2. WSBK
3. CMRA
4. TMGP
5. AMA

:icon_bigg
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:07 PM   #17
Ripcurl

Bike(s):
02 Sv650 Nekkid

Send a message via AIM to Ripcurl
I prefer MotoGP mostly because I know all the riders and its the "Big Show". It would be like preferring triple a baseball to the major leagues. I am sure there are people out there who do but for me, I wanna see Rossi vs. Hayden.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:12 PM   #18
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

I like watching the CMRA races the best so far and when the USGP ran at TWS (Texas World Speedway)... that was awesome!

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:34 PM   #19
ufo34
Carlos V

Bike(s):
R.I.Pieces

I've been to both AMA and Motogp races for the past two years at laguna seca, what an experience!!!!

As far as access to the riders we met more gp riders than we did with the AMA, motogp riders were more friendly and approachable.

My list:
1. CMRA Only when I race.
2. Moto gp
3. World SBK
4. Isle of Man
5. AMA:
1st Superstock
2nd Supersport
3rd FX
4th SBK <--- I can't rermember the last time I watched the whole race.

We even had better access to the motogp bikes.

Gianni dreaming
22362981deleted
MotoGP VS AMA Racing
ufo34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 03:40 PM   #20
jrock
straight shooter

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
Awesome pics^^^
I dont have a favourite. I love it all.
I even enjoy trackdays..
I love it all!!!!
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement