MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2012, 10:45 PM   #1
dudewhrsmybike

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
Smile Dude's Texas Hill Country adventure

I first have to thank Adam (BYRDMAN) and Tim (Reedy07R6) for joining me on this trip. Without these dudes, this trip never would've happened. Ross (Rael) glad you could join us for the ride on Saturday.

Anyways, to re-cap, we left Houston Friday morning and arrived at our campsite in the afternoon. We set up camp then hit the road for 3.5 hours and logged 145 miles. 27>39>187>337 to Leakey. Then back through 337>16>27 to Ingram. Hot and tired by the time we got back to camp, Tim decided to jump in the creek, then we all got showers and headed to Chili's. Made a pit-stop at Wal-Mart for a few things and headed back to the campsite where we chilled out for a bit and eventually passed out.

Saturday morning we decided to stop by the Stonehenge replica since it was only minutes away from camp. We took a few pictures and rolled out. For those who don't know, this used to be located on 1340 which is a good ways out from the main roads. Unfortunately, we learned that the owner had sold the land so they had to move it. It is now located off of 27 in Ingram making it a bit less cool now IMO. Anyways, we headed down 27>Spur98 and took "Ranchero Rd." and got a bit mixed up with the directions. Had to make a few u-turns, and even got chased by some lil dog with an attitude cause he knew we were on the wrong block, ese.

Eventually we made it to 16 and were headed to Bandera to meet Rael (who rode from San Antonio) for b-fast @ the famous OST restaurant. So we meet Rael for breakfast and head down the road. Rael told tales of "Officer Bob" posting up under the trees on 337 into Vanderpool so I kept the speed down on that road to avoid his wrath, sorry guys. He ended up not being out there, however, we did see him the next day and thankfully we were behaving.

We logged 345 mi Saturday. 27>98>16>Ranchero Rd>16>337>336>41>335>55>337 Lunch @ the Frio Canyon Motorcycle Stop then back down 337 towards Camp Wood to stop for a photo op. Then back towards Leakey (pronounced Lakey) and down 336 AGAIN and u-turn after the twisty hill section ends. Once again headed down 337, stopped near the Bandera County line and u-turned at the rest stop to hit the twisty hill section again, then turn around again to head back into Vanderpool where we stopped for a drink and ice cream. Headed into Medina, turned on 16 back towards Kerrville. HOLY , they repaved 16 and it is a DREAM. Arguably, one of the best sections of road on our trip. Yea, I said it.

So, Saturday evening we all decided to jump in the creek to cool off after arriving to the camp site sweating and feeling all dirty. 20 min later, a snake poking his lil head out the water forced our exit from the creek. We hit up Mamacita's for dinner and passed the heck out once we got back to the camp site.

Sunday morning we slept in a bit and I talked these guys into riding to Leakey and back. Headed down 16 we encountered our 2nd and 3rd sport bikes to see on the road. Homegirl was on a Duc 695 and homedude was on a Multi-Strada...so Adam tells me... They were a bit slow for my liking so we had to make a safe pass. Hopefully they didn't catch any rocks. No issues whatsoever on the whole ride this weekend. On our way back to camp on Sunday, Adam took a rock to the knee following me through a turn, and earlier in the day a roadrunner "mee meep" ran out RIGHT in front of him. Woulda been a speed bump at those speeds....
We arrived back to camp and loaded all our chit up and hit the road back to Houston. Got a flat in Flatonia...hmmm. Okay, it was a blowout, but still. Our 3 man pit crew got it changed out in less than 15 min. We all arrived home safely and in good spirits.

Overall, the trip was great. Light traffic on the good roads, bearable heat, and no serious issues. We rode the chit out of the sisters and just had a blast. I think we all learned a bit about our riding skills/capabilities and improved upon them. While not riding, we were constantly joking around, talking smack, sharing a few laughs, and just growing stronger friendships really. That's what it's all about and why it makes street riding worthwhile.

We logged a total of 645 mi Fri-Sun. BTW, the roads out there EAT rear tires...holy chit...

I plan to do more 3 sisters trips in the future but I also want to eventually venture out to Arkansas, NM, Colorado, The Dragon, and so on....

Until the next one....

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ride Report // Trés Amigos Hill Country Adventure Halen General Discussion (Moto Related) 118 07-17-2013 11:41 AM
Texas Hill Country? CUSTOM ZX-14 Off Topic 19 07-12-2013 10:48 AM
Solracers Super Awesome Hill Country Adventure (S.S.A.H.C.A) April 13th-14th Bevo Event Pics and Vids 52 04-17-2013 11:36 AM
Solracers Super Awesome Hill Country Adventure (S.S.A.H.C.A) April 13th-14th Solracer Events, Meets and Rides 145 04-14-2013 09:50 PM
Regarding Solracers Super Awesome Hill Country Adventure... Ulric Off Topic 3 04-09-2013 09:25 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-23-2012, 10:45 PM   #2
dudewhrsmybike

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Old 07-23-2012, 10:53 PM   #3
dudewhrsmybike

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

All packed up....

6qbp5g

Gittin' it on the stock BT-016's!!!

2gy4zue

"Are we still in Texas?"

eqdllc

65vek1
Old 07-23-2012, 10:54 PM   #4
Rael
Communist Plant

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

Great write up! I had a lot of fun riding with you all. I'm uploading the raw video for 335 and 336 now. Those will be up as soon as youtube is ready. I'll put together a composite over the next week or so to post in this thread.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:57 PM   #5
j_e_hurst
Josh

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
Back on a GSXR!!! 08 600

Nice writeup. I wanted to go but i have a big and it sweats in the heat . I'll be putting something together with a few friends for the last weekend in September or first in October. If you're ready to go back it would be cool to have an experienced tour guide who's already been.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:05 PM   #6
dudewhrsmybike

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_e_hurst View Post
Nice writeup. I wanted to go but i have a big and it sweats in the heat . I'll be putting something together with a few friends for the last weekend in September or first in October. If you're ready to go back it would be cool to have an experienced tour guide who's already been.
Thanks. It really wasn't as hot as you would think. We got lucky actually because Sunday actually was a bit on the hot side and we only rode like 150 mi that day and came back home.

Always down for a 3 sisters trip....This past weekend was my 5th tour since 07

Old 07-24-2012, 02:47 AM   #7
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

In the background of Stonehenge you can see the little league field where I hit my first ever home run. aaaaaaaaaaah the good oil days, lol

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #8
Rael
Communist Plant

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

Old 07-24-2012, 07:28 AM   #9
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

nice write-up and pics. glad you had a good time. Still looks nice and green out there.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #10
dudewhrsmybike

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJRmgm View Post
nice write-up and pics. glad you had a good time. Still looks nice and green out there.
A lil too green in a way....

Our water spot on 335 was all dried up and weeds were growing higher than the concrete. Back in 08 I was swimming in there....

Oh well, we saw a new spot we wanted to check out...Elm Creek. The water looks awesome there.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #11
green600
HG Chairperson

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

NICE.... looks like yall had a good time
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #12
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Great story! Love the Stonehendge. Gotta stop by for our Fall trip out there.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #13
Rael
Communist Plant

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

Dude and crew didn't have a chance to hit up Mac and Ernie's in Tarpley, but they serve a righteous antelope burger.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:57 AM   #14
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Nice
Old 07-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #15
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

no pics of fresh pavement????? FAIL lol
Old 07-24-2012, 09:31 AM   #16
TheVirus
Original OG

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2001 SV650S
2009 *Secret*

I totally saw you guys out there once i believe. I was out there doing the same thing ( less miles traveled) but the same general idea, minus stonehenge replica, It was a great weekend for it(a tad hot). But i went solo, Not a lot of riders like to go and camp.

Lets swap info, encase for any future rides?
Old 07-24-2012, 09:38 AM   #17
dudewhrsmybike

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVirus View Post
I totally saw you guys out there once i believe. I was out there doing the same thing ( less miles traveled) but the same general idea, minus stonehenge replica, It was a great weekend for it(a tad hot). But i went solo, Not a lot of riders like to go and camp.

Lets swap info, encase for any future rides?
Man you shoulda joined us! I had a thread about the trip details....

You sure you saw us? Did you see a Lime Green blur?
Don't remember seeing anyone on a sportbike riding solo

Old 07-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #18
dudewhrsmybike

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japawhat02 View Post
no pics of fresh pavement????? FAIL lol
Trust me, last thing you would want to do is stop on 16....that road is amazing now!!

I'm disappointed I didn't have my action cam setup yet, I wanted to take video of the ride.
Oh well, just gives me a reason to go back....

Old 07-24-2012, 09:50 AM   #19
Lucar

Member Garage

I'd go on the next one
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #20
Danurse
Squid pro-quo

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2003 SV1000-N
Haro ICS 4.0 moutain bike :/

Sounds like ya'll had a great trip! I have been all over that area many times in my minivan..
The family and I stay at Frio Acre cabins on the Frio just south of Garner State park almost every summer...love it out there.
F.M. 473 that runs east out of Comfort is freshly paved and completely void of traffic, great road..check it out next time.
Definitely planning on doing the sisters once it cools down a bit...
Danurse is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement