MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2007, 08:08 PM   #41
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Just a few things to add to this.
A Race DOT will offer the extra margin for error that a street DOT will not. Sure a ex AMA pro turned a 1:55 on BT-014, but for mere mortals (like myself) that is a tall order.
I believe a (insert brand of choice) race tire will help keep the plastics off the ground in most cases. A race tire will allow you to recover a mistake easier & as you gain speed there really shouldn't ever be a problem with sticking with that same tire.

Just a couple of bits of insite into "I don't need race tires for trackdays because I am not fast enough"
I've seen people wreck doing things that a race tire would have done easily. Mainly trail braking (tricky thing to learn) or picking up the throttle early. I go to the track to have fun and "try" a few things. Not going out & trying to do my fastest lap ever, but when finding some of my personal limits, I'd rather know that the tires are going to be there. The street tire MAY do it, but it will usually be a bit "lively" if you get my point.

John
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rain slicks SPEED FREAK DECALS General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 08-08-2014 05:13 PM
Slicks or DOTs vlaleal Taking it to the Track 15 01-26-2009 05:57 PM
slicks on the street klassik General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 01-15-2009 01:19 PM
DOT/Slicks Race tire Poll houseofpaint Taking it to the Track 27 03-13-2008 08:07 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-21-2007, 09:43 PM   #42
ysr612

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Transalp, DRZ, Hurricane

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi jm
A Race DOT will offer the extra margin for error that a street DOT will not. Sure a ex AMA pro turned a 1:55 on BT-014, but for mere mortals (like myself) that is a tall order.
I believe a (insert brand of choice) race tire will help keep the plastics off the ground in most cases. A race tire will allow you to recover a mistake easier & as you gain speed there really shouldn't ever be a problem with sticking with that same tire.

Just a couple of bits of insite into "I don't need race tires for trackdays because I am not fast enough"
I've seen people wreck doing things that a race tire would have done easily. Mainly trail braking (tricky thing to learn) or picking up the throttle early. I go to the track to have fun and "try" a few things. Not going out & trying to do my fastest lap ever, but when finding some of my personal limits, I'd rather know that the tires are going to be there. The street tire MAY do it, but it will usually be a bit "lively" if you get my point.

John

agreed some non race dots are really predictable some are not. all race dots are predictable some more so then others but all good.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:35 PM   #43
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi jm

John

Are you trying to tell me I need to upgrade to BT002's? :icon_bigg
Old 01-21-2007, 10:56 PM   #44
SCRC John

Member Garage

I believe you fall into a large boat with many other trackday riders. You've ridden enough trackdays that you know what to expect. Your comfortable on the track and lets face it, you come to a trackday to ride fast. Maybe not pushing to the limit, but certainly not just tooling around. I see many riders in this group. I believe it would save a lot of wrecks and problems if more people rode trackdays on track/race tires.

John
Old 01-21-2007, 10:58 PM   #45
sweeney1186

Bike(s):
00 SV650 superbike
06 FJR 1300

My experience is alittle diff.I've used btoo2's & pi slicks.To me the slicks slide more gradually,have alot more side grip & last longer.The bt's had a wider ambient operating range(worked better in temp extremes).I ran both dot's & slicks on the same bike last year & am def.alot more comfortable on the slicks
CMRA # 78, Team EDS #56 F2 Endurance
sweeney1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:04 PM   #46
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeney1186
My experience is alittle diff.I've used btoo2's & pi slicks.To me the slicks slide more gradually,have alot more side grip & last longer.The bt's had a wider ambient operating range(worked better in temp extremes).I ran both dot's & slicks on the same bike last year & am def.alot more comfortable on the slicks
Yeah, but look at your sig... you have CMRA and CHAMPION in it. :laughing6

Most guys in this thread aren't quite up to that pace... :icon_bigg
Old 01-21-2007, 11:17 PM   #47
sweeney1186

Bike(s):
00 SV650 superbike
06 FJR 1300

Isn't this thread about dot vs slicks?Just sharing my experience,my confidence on the bike went way up after the switch to slicks-but thats just me.The guy I got my bike from was around 11 sec a lap faster than me at TWS (Texas World Speedway) on dot's
CMRA # 78, Team EDS #56 F2 Endurance
sweeney1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:47 AM   #48
SCRC John

Member Garage

I know sweeny, and the one major change he made was not the tires exactly. He changed from 17'' wheels to 16.5'' wheels. Obviously you can't get DOT tires in 16.5'' sizes so he changed to slicks. The 16.5'' wheels really change the way the bike turns and the way it feels under braking. The problem lies with the fact that you seriously limit your tire choices. Slicks only, and only Dunlop, Pirelli & Michelin import 16.5'' slicks. Usually in limited compound selections.

John
Old 01-22-2007, 10:51 AM   #49
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

I think it is time Stephe O dipped into the piggy bank and finally gave some track tires a chance on the track.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:17 PM   #50
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
I think it is time Stephe O dipped into the piggy bank and finally gave some track tires a chance on the track.
Unfortunately I've got more important things to save for... if you're buying, DOT tires I'm a trying! :laughing6
Old 01-23-2007, 02:30 AM   #51
speedismo
OCD for speed

thanks guyz, good discussion!

Travelomy:Simplify your travel.
speedismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:59 AM   #52
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O Chap
Unfortunately I've got more important things to save for... if you're buying, DOT tires I'm a trying! :laughing6
You can take my bike for a spin with them on. Swift has a similar bike to yours fitted with the BT002. Maybe he would let you take it out for a few laps as well.

Old 01-24-2007, 06:50 AM   #53
speedismo
OCD for speed

Quote:
You can take my bike for a spin with them on. Swift has a similar bike to yours fitted with the BT002. Maybe he would let you take it out for a few laps as well.
Moody, can I too take ur bike for a spin if i come back?:icon_bigg

Old 01-24-2007, 11:40 AM   #54
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedismo
Moody, can I too take ur bike for a spin if i come back?:icon_bigg
You bet!

Old 01-26-2007, 04:25 AM   #55
speedismo
OCD for speed

Quote:
You bet!
u rock!:notworthy

Old 01-26-2007, 07:41 AM   #56
Swift E

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

I'm a track junkie and I did a few days on some slicks with warmers and I LOVED it. The tires seem to stick like Glue then, John & Patrick got me into some BT002s and HOLY these are just as if not mo betta!!!

+1 for the BT002s

btw... speedismo, your more than welcome to give the bike a few laps on these if you like

Advertisement