Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #41
LCLF Brain
Mamaaaa! Yeah, mama!
Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

2014 stage 4 Street Glide
2011 Heritage Softail (sold)

You guys want to know a dirty little secret of the gasoline industry? Many times that you fuel up with regular, they're loading that tank with premium just because they have an abundance of it, and they only feel like running one truck. So you're frequently getting a mid-grade gasoline anyway, a mix of regular and premium.

Premium gasoline basically has two advantages. One is additives, which can help your engine to some degree, although they're frequently overrated. The second is a more forgiving fuel/air flash range. This means that all of the gasoline will burn on the ignition cycle, regardless of whether the fuel/air mix is not optimum.

My bike requires premium for the improved flash range, because it's basically a primitive engine and will start to diesel if it doesn't have that improved burn. Whether you think that's a negative is subjective... I like a bike that I can r&r/modify in my garage, and I don't go fast, so it's all good to me.
LCLF Brain is offline   Reply With Quote