MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #21
675Raisinator

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2012 Triumph 675
2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Track scooter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
+1 lived in New Orleans, drive there quite often still.
Texans drive faster, but people in La have never used a blinker or checked mirrors before changing lanes.
Fact.

I agree that Houston especially is REALLY bad as well, but I'll take fast and slow drivers on the same road, before unpredictable.

Try driving in Michigan or Ohio, the courtesy is strange at first.

Definitely debatable.
Debatable ? Ive lived in New Jersey, New York, Connecticut and Germany. Driven across the US twice and thru LA at least 5 times
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Troll Science.... NgaWhat Off Topic 8 05-17-2012 03:54 AM
Biggest troll of all time theManofRussia General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 05-08-2012 01:23 AM
troll a predator DepPravacion Off Topic 23 12-07-2011 01:22 AM
Are you a TROLL? FKNA Off Topic 12 04-25-2011 01:05 PM
He caught a troll... Ulric Off Topic 4 02-25-2010 10:36 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #22
675Raisinator

Bike(s):
2012 Triumph 675

That said German Autobahn was the best
Old 07-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #23
bluepine

Feedback Rating: (0)

Lived in NYC for 16 years. And i'll take Texas driving any day over NYC.
And to add, born Korean, raised in South America, educated in NY, and now calling Texas home, i'll drive, live, enjoy life, and die in Texas. This is where i found value in family and raising chidren as they were meant to be, "children", not like those little punks from NYC or LA. True sense of comparadery and sacrifice on any social network i'm in. Proud people who stick up to what they believe. Diversity that accentuates our own Texas character, and that everyone enjoys it. And more than anything, "space". Feel frustrated? Dude, drive out any direction an hour or two. Guarantee you'll be left alone with no driver or schmuck to deal with around you!
Bottom line. Don't about Texas, and it is as simple as that. Dont like it? Nobody will stop you on the way out!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342632484.074819.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	58654
Old 07-18-2012, 12:29 PM   #24
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 675Raisinator View Post
Debatable ? Ive lived in New Jersey, New York, Connecticut and Germany. Driven across the US twice and thru LA at least 5 times
Debatable, yes, as a matter of opinion. I've been to NJ/NY, but I never drove personally so I can't comment on those.

I lived in Mi and Oh, and drove from Ypsilanti to Houston through numerous states. Southern drivers for whatever reason are definitely more "reckless" (no snow maybe?), but as far as Texans being the absolute worst, it's definitely debatable. As shown in this thread.

I'm not even a Texan by birth.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:29 PM   #25
Joshua42007

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
06' GSX-R 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jredford View Post
Hahaa - try driving in Chicago. Road rage is practiced with a horn - not a gun.
True, my mom is from Chicago. Haven't been back since 99, but I couldn't forget their style of driving. Even worse when the road is ice.

Those little run-around circles/turnabouts are intense. I noticed that there aren't very many protected turns either. It's like a hit or miss with them.
Joshua42007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:40 PM   #26
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
friend of mine made a comment, Houston is now #1 in population diversity, even more then say NY

and w/ that people bring all their bad driving habits w/ them, lol
+1

I've lived in NYC and LA, and at least drivers there have a method to their madness. Get with the program, and you'll have no problem flowing even in the densest NYC rush hour traffic.

Here in Houston, there is no uniformity. You got rednecks, asians, and ghetto drivers all doing different stupid things.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #27
675Raisinator

Bike(s):
2012 Triumph 675

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...E58680FFF8F9DC
Old 07-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #28
jimmy the gent
wich u gon do?

Experience: 7 years

Diversity is our strength? Visited NW Arkansas/Southern Missouri last year and was shocked that the drivers were generally courteous (at least more than I am accustomed to being in Texas). When you put on a signal they would more often than not let you merge and people in cars sometimes even wave as they go by. Then again, such is the way where "we" are still the majority.

― Steve Sailer
jimmy the gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #29
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

Quote:
Yeah. Debatable. That's just your opinion. I've lived in New York, Connecticut (born there), driven through almost every state in the US and frequently drive to different parts on Louisiana on a regular basis.

It's a matter of opinion. Definately debatable.

On the other side of the token, Connecticut drivers are by far the most friendly drivers i've ever come accross.
Quote:
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #30
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

Quote:
And?
Quote:
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #31
Sumo

Bike(s):
2007 DRZ400SM
2006 DRZ400E

Quote:
Try driving in Michigan or Ohio, the courtesy is strange at first.
Courtesy in the midwest? Not that I've ever experienced. up there take a turn signal as a challenge to their ownership of THEIR LANE and they will speed up to keep you from changing lanes.

Left lane campers? Go for a drive in Iowa. Median age for the state appears to be 137. Blue-haired fossils in battleship Buicks set up at 48 mph in the left lane and will stay there for days, left signal blinking all the while because they can't remember they turned it on, are too deaf to hear the clicking, and too blind to see the light flashing on the dash. It's alright though, they forgot where the they were going anyway so let's just go for a drive. And if you go 56 in a 55 the local poodle-shooters will be on your out-of-state plates faster than a democrat on a dollar.

But I won't go to say all TX drivers are the same. In Dallas they're reckless asshats. Austin, preoccupied at best. SA - well there's no explaining it, they outright suck donkey in SA. Worst drivers in the state. Houston? It ain't so bad...
Sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #32
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
I get the feeling that most people are extrapolating Houston city driving to all of Texas.

Trust me, it's totally different outside town.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #33
675Raisinator

Bike(s):
2012 Triumph 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
I get the feeling that most people are extrapolating Houston city driving to all of Texas.

Trust me, it's totally different outside town.
lol yea worse ... dallas is a hole
Old 07-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #34
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumo View Post
Courtesy in the midwest? Not that I've ever experienced. up there take a turn signal as a challenge to their ownership of THEIR LANE and they will speed up to keep you from changing lanes.
When I say courtesy, I mean the courtesy to not blatantly disregard the health of other human beings on the road or feel the need to impact your vehicle violently because of a temper tantrum.

Never been to Iowa. Just my experience in Ann Arbor, Ypsilanti, and Toledo, then the drive home through Kentucky, Tennessee, and Arkansas.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #35
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Lived in OKC for some 8yrs. You will have a lone driver rolls up to a 4-way stop sign 3AM, you can look all 3-ways and see no cars coming for a mile. Driver would still stop, wait a second, then roll on. Silly as it may be, there something very comforting about conformity.

I don't believe for a second it's debatable. Houston is the only town I've lived in the USA where nobody stops for an ambulance. Everybody just keep right on trucking, and the poor ambulance has to weave around cars to move ahead. When I first moved here, I used to move over the right and stop. Drivers behind me would honk, get mad, speed up, and swerve around me. Now I just try to change lane toward the right and slow down a bit. Really hate to do it, but getting run over is worse.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #36
lucydad

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2007 Kawasaki EX 500
1971 Honda 175 Scrambler
1967 Honda Mini Trail 50
1966 Honda Super 90

675Raisin,

Lol and thanks for the chuckle on mattresses. Yes on 59 and ethnic areas where the blackhole of driver ability exists. I would have to add recently immigrated older asian women to the list of most baffled Houston drivers. In Sugar Land I give them special room, all the time--- as they wander around like an egg roll lost in the Hong Kong harbor fog.

Texans are wonderful people though, trust me on that one. And women? Wow. Houston is a true metropolitain city--a big mix, hence a lot of erratic driving.

Oh I hope no rain tonight after work. I got my speedo-cable head fixed on my Kawa and need to test it out. Perhaps the fix will hold, as the next strategy is buy a new cable and try again.

Thanks for a sense of humor. I encountered a flamer on the ex-500 forum when I was asking some simple questions. Internet "courage" is a whole other story.

cheers,
Lucydad
lucydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #37
675Raisinator

Bike(s):
2012 Triumph 675

There is no need to be upset random 30664752 325 203
Old 07-18-2012, 01:26 PM   #38
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
Lived in OKC for some 8yrs. You will have a lone driver rolls up to a 4-way stop sign 3AM, you can look all 3-ways and see no cars coming for a mile. Driver would still stop, wait a second, then roll on. Silly as it may be, there something very comforting about conformity.
Lived in OKC from 2005-2008 (as well as several years as a kid, but that's not pertinent to a discussion of driving). Only place I've lived where ""common sense"" dictated driving in the left lane because there was fewer cars, and is therefore safer. Obviously drivers using this technique aren't exactly busting the speed limit either. Predictable sure, but infuriating.

I still get strange looks from friends when I'm down here passing on the right. It's a remnant of how I had to drive there to get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time.

They've since had to pass a law making it a ticketable offense. However, I still hate driving there, AND the roads are worse than Houston in town which is pathetic considering Houston has more people than that whole state.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #39
Trish

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2008 CBR600rr
2006 DRZ400SM

I've been saying this since I moved here! I'm from NJ and I have driven through Manhattan, Jersey City, Newark, etc... I would much rather drive there than here. Sure people are there, but if you're in their way, that's your fault. MOVE THE F OVER!!!!!

And I used to think PA drivers were the worst... HAH!
Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #40
Sumo

Bike(s):
2007 DRZ400SM
2006 DRZ400E

Quote:
When I say courtesy, I mean the courtesy to not blatantly disregard the health of other human beings on the road or feel the need to impact your vehicle violently because of a temper tantrum.
I just don't see that many temper tantrums like some of you post about. Maybe I'm lucky. Or now having said that will get splatted the next time I take the bike out.

Quote:
Never been to Iowa.
Don't. It's a (barely) standing testament to the decline of middle America.

Quote:
Just my experience in Ann Arbor, Ypsilanti, and Toledo, then the drive home through Kentucky, Tennessee, and Arkansas.
What impressed me between Columbus OH and Indianapolis was the road itself. Really nice. My time in Kentucky was concentrated in Ft Knox, so can't really judge since so many transient drivers around an Army post.

One thing that works in Houston is the wave. Want to get over? Start your signal, and wave at the guy if he's not letting you enough space. Do that in the midwest and he'll return your wave with a middle finger.
Sumo is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement