MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #1
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

250 ninja Vs cbr250

what are your thoughts?
I have read the reviews and heard a few opinions, but nothing that really convinced me one way or the other.
Still toying with the idea of a 250 for light weight at GSS.
The price of the bikes is basicallly the same.
The reviews I have read give the ninja a slight edge as a track bike, but give the honda the nod for around town use...
the reviews say the honda handles a little better and accelerates in town better (lower rpm at take off) than the ninja, but the ninja gets the nod as being the faster of the two and has quicker response above 60 mph...
The honda gets the nod for being fuel injected over the ninja having carbs.
The ABS is of no concern to me, so even if i get the honda i will not get the abs version, i don't want the added weight or the extra 500 bucks.
have not for sure decided to pull the trigger, but i think i am going to go look at them and see what i think.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ninja 250 obed General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 07-11-2012 03:00 PM
Ninja 250 vs CBR250? YoungGun General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 07-09-2012 03:52 PM
Anyone with a ninja 250 or a rebel 250 I could borrow/rent? logan5 General Discussion (Moto Related) 29 04-12-2011 12:32 PM
Ninja 250 Help RojerLockless General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 12-28-2009 10:50 PM
Anyone w/ a Ninja 250...... Slingblade92 General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 02-11-2007 07:00 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-18-2012, 08:06 AM   #2
bluewave18
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I would take the CBR. The Ninja may be a tad faster, but that is in stock form. Who says a little work wont have the CBR in the lead. The FI makes me think it can be modded and tuned to easily beat the ninja. I would also want the CBR for the handling aspect.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
VFR Clown
Novice trackjunkie

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
98 Honda VFR800FI
96 Honda VFR750 (wrecked)
90 Kawa ZR550 (sold)
if the vfr dies...adv or motard

Member Garage

the cbr is narrower and smaller in general. I know there a few people who track them on the site, they should chime in.

track parts are a-plenty for the ninja but they are getting better for the cbr. I would give the cbr +1 for being FI and a honda.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

I just checked on the price for insurance if i street the thing... it is next to nothing.. i spend more taking my wife out to dinner than a year on insurance on these things...(that is added onto my policy with my other bikes, no clue what it would be if it were my only bike, but still cheap)
Old 07-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
CantDecide

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2010 Ninja250
2009 GSXR600
2009 ZX10R

At the time when i bought my ninja 250 about three years ago the honda was not available. I can tell you that i probably would have gone with the honda had it been an option - basically the same price as you indicated with FI and Honda reputation.

Cant speak to the track aspects cause it just use it to putt around the neighborhood but...

I dont think you can really go wrong with either option - i love my little 2fitty
CantDecide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

Double post edit

Last edited by cuong-nutz; 07-18-2012 at 11:47 AM.
cuong-nutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
The cbr250 would be awesome to track at gss or any tight small track. Anything bigger then the 250. Gearing changes would help out though.

Here's what was posted on a few cbr250 vs ninja 250 threads Mr Obedwan Kinobi:

You are more than welcome to come ride my 250 at gss but it's not quite set up for track since it's my go-to commuter bike.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #8
VFR Clown
Novice trackjunkie

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
98 Honda VFR800FI
96 Honda VFR750 (wrecked)
90 Kawa ZR550 (sold)
if the vfr dies...adv or motard

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
You are more than welcome to come ride my 250 at gss but it's not quite set up for track since it's my go-to commuter bike.
nice... "rent-a-ride" @ GSS coming soon!
Old 07-23-2012, 10:35 PM   #9
johnpatrick87
Road Scalpel

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2006 Honda CBR1000RR

Member Garage

some of my friends here in carolina each have the ninja and the cbr, and the ninja is a dog compared to the cbr. The cbr handles better, is more forgiving, and feels faster. not entirely sure as they dont track them, but when i ride the CBR, the -dyno makes me smile more. maybe this helped?? sorry, i tried...
Old 07-31-2012, 11:26 AM   #10
unswift

Bike(s):
2009 ZX-6R race
2008 EX250 race

I would note, that at least in the CMRA, the No.1 Mini Endurance team is selling its CBR and will finish the season on a Ninja. If you want a race prepped CBR, check out the CMRA board "for sale" section.

Draw your own conclusions from the fact that a team with an ex AMA racer who can ride anything fast is finishing the season on a Ninja. Talking to CBR riders, it has more grunt out of the corners, but can't keep up with the Ninja's top end, and as a Ninja rider, that seems to be the case to me because no CBR has run away from me because of motor this year. It seems, at least in the CMRA mini class, that the top end may be more important that torque in winning races.
unswift is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement