MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2007, 12:34 AM   #41
Tumper
Hullo

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2004 Speed Triple SE
01 KLR650,
93 Dyna Wide Glide
11 BMW F800GS
Cannondale F-4...

Um, anyone have anything else to say?

Or is everyone rich and can afford $3000 a year to ride????

Last edited by Tumper; 01-18-2007 at 11:45 AM.
Tumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new EU tiered licensing RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 07-05-2012 02:07 PM
Licensing: when is it appropriate/inappropriate? the_ruckus The Circus 51 05-09-2011 04:00 PM
Discussion Regarding Tiered Licensing in US specterunseen General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 06-30-2008 08:37 AM
tiered licensing, coming to a state near YOU! RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 30 06-23-2008 08:03 PM
Tiered system logan5 General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 11-02-2007 07:44 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-18-2007, 02:31 AM   #42
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Tumper,

$3000 a year was just pulled outa someone's @ss. Catastrophic insurance is not required by law for any other similar activity...homeowners, auto, boat, RV, jet ski, airplane.... Christ, for a Hummer H2 in Texas you need less in liability coverage than the purchase price of the vehicle you're driving. Show me one statistic that shows motorcycles are more likely to cause catastrophic damage than any other motorized vehicle...then there might be an argument. It's more likely we'll see medical / life / homeowners coverage excluding MC operators from the pool. Just like they exclude smokers, hang gliders, racers, and private pilots. After all, insurance is all about probablility and statistics. The most money is to be made where the statistics show the most certainty in the chance of occurance. That's why accidents and tickets can be used to hike your rates and make the companies big bucks. If one in a million bikers slam a car and kill 4 kids, it's hard to predict how often and even harder to justify to a state insurance board that large premiums are required.

Relax, this ain't gonna bite us any time soon. But don't be surprised to see other more intrusive legislation as a result of our collective bad behavior. Towns outlawing bikes altogether, loud exhaust citations...it's all right on the horizon as we continue to off the common man witho our idiocity. What we need to do is stop worrying about legislation and think through and accept personal responsibility for our actions and how they are perceived by society and our individual communities.

How does that wide glide sound at full throttle outside the church on Sunday morning? Did your friend's mom like the " fell off" t-shirt? Does my grandma like the way my Gixxer wails at 14k rpm on the freeway on Friday night? Did it scare little Jimmy when Ruff Ridaz wheelied by on the shoulder? I know....everyone says "screw them". But we shouldn't be surprised when our individual liberties we take for granted are restricted. They outnumber us MC enthusiasts 20 to 1. They vote too.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:43 AM   #43
Tumper
Hullo

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2004 Speed Triple SE
01 KLR650,
93 Dyna Wide Glide
11 BMW F800GS
Cannondale F-4...

Shadman,

I'm not really all that concerned, but I definitely see changes coming, they most likely won't directly affect me due to my age, unless it is some sort of blanket insurance thing that affects everyone. And that would suck. The article states that the legislation is pending in several states. Just because it isn't required at the moment doesn't mean it won't be in the future. I do think it will be hard to get such legislation passed, but dumber laws have been passed before….

The point of the article is not about bad behavior necessarily, it's about accident rates, and proper training before riding a larger more powerful bike.
There will be separate legislation for the bad behavior I am sure.....

As far as comparing motorcycles to other forms of dangerous activity, it's really the perception of people that counts. Of all the activities you listed most non motorcycle savvy people would still perceive a motorcycle as much more dangerous than any of those, thereby making it easier to single out motorcyclists for increased or supplemental coverage’s and premiums. Most lawmakers aren’t motorcycle savvy people….

Oh, and the Wide Glide sounds great on Sunday mornings at full throttle....LOL, but the Speed Triple sounds even better.....

Advertisement