MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #1
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Sparkplug broke off

Has anybody ever had a spark plug break off by the ignitor, and fall into the engine?

My bike is in the shop, and thats what they are telling me. I don't have alot of info on it yet, but I am coming up empty handed searching for this problem online.

yeah. I thought it'd be like riding with a condescending rossi.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
best sparkplug for a 2007 Kawasaki zzr600 jbravo Motorcycle Articles 10 03-20-2016 11:54 AM
someone just broke in. tunaluna Off Topic 41 05-22-2013 07:41 PM
Ford Sparkplug Fail mx6er Off Topic 32 11-21-2010 12:06 PM
Well... looks like we broke up.. Ulric Off Topic 20 04-18-2009 05:06 PM
Sparkplug hole repair TxBritt08R1 General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 12-12-2008 09:42 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

Yea it happens. Do you know what kind of spark plug it was
Old 07-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
Pachuco
So fly, I need feathers

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1098s
S4RS
SC1000
999s
996 sps

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Pachuco
wouldn't that be the shops issue to fix, if they did it?
Old 07-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
green600
HG Chairperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_5.0 View Post
Yea it happens. Do you know what kind of spark plug it was
Not sure, I am going to find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
wouldn't that be the shops issue to fix, if they did it?
It was maybe 2-3,000 miles since the spark plugs were put in. It is the ingitor part that broke off and fell into the motor from my understanding. I still need to talk to the shop that it is at more to find out the details.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
signpimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2002 klx110

Send a message via MSN to signpimp
What do you mean the ignitor part fell in? You mean the grounding electrode that comes off the side of the bottom of the plug? Or the actual electrode coming out of the middle of the plug on the bottom - where spark comes out? I have broken the tops of spark plugs off where the boot connects because the plugs were overdue by many miles or they were overheating somehow and were brittle. I can't see how the bottom would break off and fall in the engine when removing. If it broke while the engine was working, that would cause some possible piston/head/valve damage. Either way, it is a pain in the but to remove it dropped in the engine. Gonna have to remove the top end to clean out and inspect.
signpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
green600
HG Chairperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by signpimp View Post
Or the actual electrode coming out of the middle of the plug on the bottom - where spark comes out?
I believe that's what they are saying happened. They said it looked like it got cross theaded, and the bottom part fell into the engine. I am going to go in to talk to them in person.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #7
TheVirus
Original OG

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2001 SV650S
2009 *Secret*

They up and are saying you did it.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #8
green600
HG Chairperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVirus View Post
They up and are saying you did it.
No, I didnt change the plugs myself. I took it to a shop to have valves, and plugs done. It's at a totally different shop now getting repaired.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #9
TheVirus
Original OG

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2001 SV650S
2009 *Secret*

Ohh i thought you said you replaced the plugs 2.5k ago and rode just fine. Was thinking the shop it's at now was doing minor maintenance then saying that this happened. So i was thinking they broke something and blamed you. Ohh well, as long as a shop is at fault. Especially for crossthreading some spark plugs. MAKE EM PAY!
Old 07-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #10
green600
HG Chairperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVirus View Post
Ohh i thought you said you replaced the plugs 2.5k ago and rode just fine. Was thinking the shop it's at now was doing minor maintenance then saying that this happened. So i was thinking they broke something and blamed you. Ohh well, as long as a shop is at fault. Especially for crossthreading some spark plugs. MAKE EM PAY!
It did ride fine for about 3,000 miles after they were changed by a shop. Then it died while coming home from a ride.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #11
mathews

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2005 Hayabusa

There is no "igniter" on or near a spark plug.Sounds fishy to me.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:34 PM   #12
green600
HG Chairperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathews View Post
There is no "igniter" on or near a spark plug.Sounds fishy to me.
They didn't use the word igniter. (I forgot the exact wording , and I used that.) Basically the bottom of the plug that goes into the engine is what they said. Im not 100% sure on their wording other then saying it looked cross threaded.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #13
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

What kind of plugs did you use? Even if you crossthreaded the plug, no way the grounding electrode would break off. You would have to forcefully try to screw that part against the threads on the head of the motor. Another way the grounding electrode/or the center electrode/insulator would break is due to extreme detonation and excessive wear or piston to plug contact. Fishy none the less. If the plug was crossthreaded from the previous shop, motor would run fine still as it's still sealed for the most part. Hard to point the blame on anyone since you didn't see the work and this is your second shop. I've had stuff fall in the cylinder before and I used my shop vac attached to a small hose to vacuum out the small debris.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #14
green600
HG Chairperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
What kind of plugs did you use? Even if you crossthreaded the plug, no way the grounding electrode would break off. You would have to forcefully try to screw that part against the threads on the head of the motor. Another way the grounding electrode/or the center electrode/insulator would break is due to extreme detonation and excessive wear or piston to plug contact. Fishy none the less. If the plug was crossthreaded from the previous shop, motor would run fine still as it's still sealed for the most part. Hard to point the blame on anyone since you didn't see the work and this is your second shop. I've had stuff fall in the cylinder before and I used my shop vac attached to a small hose to vacuum out the small debris.
Not sure what the shop put in.

Not trying to point the blame at the shop that installed the spark plugs. I just want to know the cause of it for the most part. The second shop has never touched the bike before it was no longer running.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #15
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

Well either way, I hope they take care of you and not do a half- job. I really hate dealing with stripped spark plug holes. Anti-sieze is your best friend.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #16
green600
HG Chairperson

Quote:
Well either way, I hope they take care of you and not do a half- job. I really hate dealing with stripped spark plug holes. Anti-sieze is your best friend.
Thanks I hope so too!

I think I am about to buy a spare engine with 4,000 miles off ebay just in case they dont.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #17
bradtx

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
1998 Triumph T595

It hasn't happend to me, but I've heard of a ground side electrode breaking off. The cause of this was suspected improper adjustment of the gap, I'm told. Not much info...

Brad
Old 07-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #18
GrayWolf

Bike(s):
Too many

Question

Quote:
This. If your electrode came out of the plug it wouldn't stop the engine from running. It would make a lot of noise, but not die.
A big question is how did the electrode break? It could be a defective plug, improper installation or even a rod bearing gone bad allowing the piston to smack the plug breaking it off.
You posted that the bike ran fine and then died. Did it make any noise when it did? Did the engine spin over but not start once it died? How much oil was in the engine? Lots of questions.
GrayWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #19
green600
HG Chairperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
This. If your electrode came out of the plug it wouldn't stop the engine from running. It would make a lot of noise, but not die.
A big question is how did the electrode break? It could be a defective plug, improper installation or even a rod bearing gone bad allowing the piston to smack the plug breaking it off.
You posted that the bike ran fine and then died. Did it make any noise when it did? Did the engine spin over but not start once it died? How much oil was in the engine?
It did sound a little funny hard to explain maybe rattling? It lost power then it got a few short burst of power before I didn't want to give it anymore throttle, and I coasted off the freeway.

It would not turn over after that.

Oil was a little low, and it shot oil from overflow hose.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #20
GrayWolf

Bike(s):
Too many

Sounds like it could be a rod bearing gone bad. Especially considering the rattling noise and the low oil level. Was this on the freeway at higher rpm?
The surging power could be the rod bearing seizing on the crankshaft and then letting go.
The knocking noise could be between the crank and rod or the piston smacking the cylinder head and plug. Either way it sounds like a toasted engine.
GrayWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement