MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012, 04:00 PM   #21
ericlw
Banned

Feedback Rating: (0)

User is banned

ericlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Street Riding etiquette nilnwahs General Discussion (Moto Related) 38 06-07-2013 11:12 AM
I like riding Street more then Track. morvegil General Discussion (Moto Related) 58 10-26-2009 02:14 PM
Street riding...? chase General Discussion (Moto Related) 84 04-17-2009 01:12 PM
Street riding story BigComfy General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 06-07-2007 12:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #22
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

I've been involved in 5 major accidents, in which 2 of my vehicles were totaled, and none were my fault - 0%. Thank goodness they were all with me in 4wheelers, but the outcome could have been just as deadly.

When non-riders tell me motorcycles are dangerous, I tell them NO, motorcycles are vulnerable. That's a big difference. "Dangerous" implies motorcycles are inherently ready to kill/maim, and not much could change that risk factor. "Vulnerable", OTOH, says that the risk exposure depends highly on decisions/attitude, and that there is something the rider can do to reduce it. I choose to believe that's the case.

I don't always ride like a schoolboy on the street. If I do, then I'd just as soon be on a 50cc scooter. I do ride extremely defensively and assume everybody else is out to kill me at any moment. I don't get all up-and-at-arms about it, just take it as what I have to deal with if I choose to ride.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #23
MGZT
No, I don't know KungFu

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9-12 months
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Aprilia RSV4R
05 R1

IMO, when you’re on 2 wheels you’re vulnerable, period!!. Both street and track are dangerous when you’re on 2 wheels, even in 4 wheels it still is. If people think that if they’re getting out the street and doing tracks only or getting out of track and street only, then suddenly it is far less dangerous, I am sorry but I think they’re wrong.

Can you get killed doing track days? Yes. Broken bones? Absolutely.
More controlled environment at the track? Yea but doesn’t mean you can’t get hurt. You got to remember, the average speed is faster (if your average speed is faster on the street then you’re already asking for it) and people are pushing their limits at the tracks. Plus you’ll never know who’s coming down behind you when you’re down. Track is not a safe place, it’s just a safer place.

I ride both street and track and I love them both. My point is if you’re asking is street or track really worth it maybe the better question “Is riding 2 wheels really worth it?” To me, it still is because it's better than taking prozac
MGZT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #24
jimrad
Moderate pace forever .

Trackdays: 7

If there was a way to erase my motorcycle memory and not miss it one bit...i would do it..Yes, i am hooked to motorcycles and i enjoy douching it on the streets..
Old 07-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #25
J.J. McQuade
DORC MEMBER

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ducati Multi-Strada 1100S
1993 Ducati 900SS (Designated Sweeper)
Acura NSX-T Type R

Member Garage

When you put yourself on the road with more cars your chances of being hit by one of them increases! it's like being in a tank full of sharks! I used to commute back and forth from Cypess to Greenway and let me tell you there is nothing more dangerous than a rich lady in her Mercedes on her phone driving down Memorial! Simply decreasing the odds will not prevent you from being in a major accident! I ride with the general idea that everyone else on the road cannot drive; because now that is generally the case!
J.J. McQuade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #26
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
I haven't ridden more than 300 street miles in 3 years. Is street riding ENTIRELY not worth it? I can't answer that. Is street riding a sportbike worth it? No. There's no road safe enough to really cut a modern sportbike loose. Is street in Houston worth it? no, drivers are terrible.

If I lived somewhere else I might consider owning a streetbike again, but not a full supersport. they're uncomfortable and riding them at legal speeds is boring. As it is, I'll just have a trackturd and a mini.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #27
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGZT View Post
IMO, when you’re on 2 wheels you’re vulnerable, period!!. Both street and track are dangerous when you’re on 2 wheels, even in 4 wheels it still is. If people think that if they’re getting out the street and doing tracks only or getting out of track and street only, then suddenly it is far less dangerous, I am sorry but I think they’re wrong.

Can you get killed doing track days? Yes. Broken bones? Absolutely.
More controlled environment at the track? Yea but doesn’t mean you can’t get hurt. You got to remember, the average speed is faster (if your average speed is faster on the street then you’re already asking for it) and people are pushing their limits at the tracks. Plus you’ll never know who’s coming down behind you when you’re down. Track is not a safe place, it’s just a safer place.

I ride both street and track and I love them both. My point is if you’re asking is street or track really worth it maybe the better question “Is riding 2 wheels really worth it?” To me, it still is because it's better than taking prozac
There is very, very strong evidence that track is much safer than the street. I'm not sure how anyone could see it any other way.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #28
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)

I love riding the street and taking trips across America
Neon Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:06 PM   #29
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
There is very, very strong evidence that track is much safer than the street. I'm not sure how anyone could see it any other way.
per miles ridden i bet it's not that as safe you;d think
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #30
30+GSXR

Bike(s):
2004 GSX-R 1000 Mat Mladin
'91 Sturgis Harley (sold)
'85 RZ-350 (sold)

glad your still with us Duston after that crash.
I like to ride - so I say YES. It's a chance we take everyday.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #31
lucydad

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2007 Kawasaki EX 500
1971 Honda 175 Scrambler
1967 Honda Mini Trail 50
1966 Honda Super 90

Duston,

I like your honest reflection and the excellent commentary by others. I grew up riding small dirt bikes and snowmobiles and some street riding. After college I had a 35 year gap of riding and my wife and daughters absolutely rejected the idea for 20 years. Then one day my buddy Ed took me for a ride on his BMW RS1200, and then to the toy store...and my heart glowed.

For me, at age 58, with kids finishing up college: yes it is worth the street riding risk. The diamond-hard heart of my passion for riding is what I call "facing the dragon". That dragon is fear. Overcoming my fear of riding has huge positive side benefits in other areas of my life. At work I have more self confidence, in relationships I have less stress and I feel happier compared to other guys my age whose big challenge in life is which movie to watch, or perhaps slicing a golf ball. Passions are important to me and bike riding has always been there. I got on my Kawa last Saturday after a 3 week gap due to travel. Pure joy resulted--I can reach what I call a ridiculously happy state of emotions, and bike riding takes me there. It is like flying, the sensations are supreme, and like a well known Hobbit--facing that dragon can result in riches beyond physical treasure.

I was almost killed in a car accident and almost died from a kidney stone issue, so life is fragile yes, but that dragon of fear is best jousted on my Ninja.
lucydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #32
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

You do risk bodily injury riding track. You are not exposed to a swarm of killing machine like you are riding on the streets, that's true.

The risk of track riding comes mostly from within yourself. Unless you are just riding the parade lap, nobody is there to take it easy. Everybody is there to improve their riding skills. Most will attempt to push close to their limits - being careful not to go over. That exercise, by its very nature, means you're constantly trying to better yourself - and to go a bit faster than you felt comfortable before. The risk is inherent and unavoidable.

Good thing about the controlled environment:

1. Safety gear is mandatory, vs. optional and voluntary as on the street.
2. "Professionals" and instructors are monitoring, guiding, and ready to intervene.
3. EMS is on site and ready to respond immediately.

On the street, you are left to your own devices. You are solely responsible for your own safety. Consequently, your own ATTITUDE plays a primary part in how risky that activity becomes. If you attempt to push your own limites like you do track riding, the streets are much less forgiving.

However, if you take it easy and eliminat that risk factor from within, then all you have to deal with is being defensive against other drivers on the road.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #33
brandontx

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Is it worth it? If you really think about it, not really, it's dangerous. I like how everyone tries to rationalize the danger of riding with motivational speeches, statistics, and lower fuel costs. Riding a motorcycle on the track or street is not a smart thing to do no matter what anyone says. A lot of us have families and continue to put ourselves at great risk for a few cheap thrills. Oh well, nobody is perfect and I chalk it up as a character flaw. Now where did I put my bike key?
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #34
Doug
Hangover

Bike(s):
FLTRX

For me riding the streets, or should I say cruising the streets, is worth it. Slowing down to somewhere around the speed limit, tuning down aggressive behavior, and not trying to push my bike every chance I got made a difference in how I saw things.

Why?

Almost all rider down threads have two things in common; speed and negligence. Around a year ago I decided to change my riding habits to minimize those commonalities. I realize doing so is boring on sport bikes; I'm sure it's akin to driving a super car in the same manner, but living to see tomorrow is more important to me. In the end I traded my Ninja for a power cruiser and feel like I won't look back. I may pickup a track bike later on, but never again will I use a sport bike for the street.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #35
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
For me riding the streets, or should I say cruising the streets, is worth it. Slowing down to somewhere around the speed limit, tuning down aggressive behavior, and not trying to push my bike every chance I got made a difference in how I saw things.

Why?

Almost all rider down threads have two things in common; speed and negligence. Around a year ago I decided to change my riding habits to minimize those commonalities. I realize doing so is boring on sport bikes; I'm sure it's akin to driving a super car in the same manner, but living to see tomorrow is more important to me. In the end I traded my Ninja for a power cruiser and feel like I won't look back. I may pickup a track bike later on, but never again will I use a sport bike for the street.
its not the bike, it's the mindset

one could argue, if you keep the right frame of mind a sportbike is way better then any HD/cruiser because the performance boundries are so much higher, basicaly stops and accelerates and handles better.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #36
gots2no
Steve

Bike(s):
'94 Kawasaki ZX6
'78 Yamaha XS750E (sold)
'82 Yamaha Seca 750 (sold)
'82 Yamaha XT200 (sold)

Member Garage

Right now, yes. Ask me again if I'm involved in an accident like yours and survive. I've often wonder how I will feel if that happens. I have the advantage of being older now. My youngest child is 22 years old. They'd be OK without me if the worst happened.
gots2no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #37
gots2no
Steve

Bike(s):
'94 Kawasaki ZX6
'78 Yamaha XS750E (sold)
'82 Yamaha XT200 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
I've been involved in 5 major accidents, in which 2 of my vehicles were totaled, and none were my fault - 0%. Thank goodness they were all with me in 4wheelers, but the outcome could have been just as deadly.

When non-riders tell me motorcycles are dangerous, I tell them NO, motorcycles are vulnerable. That's a big difference. "Dangerous" implies motorcycles are inherently ready to kill/maim, and not much could change that risk factor. "Vulnerable", OTOH, says that the risk exposure depends highly on decisions/attitude, and that there is something the rider can do to reduce it. I choose to believe that's the case.

I don't always ride like a schoolboy on the street. If I do, then I'd just as soon be on a 50cc scooter. I do ride extremely defensively and assume everybody else is out to kill me at any moment. I don't get all up-and-at-arms about it, just take it as what I have to deal with if I choose to ride.
^this

Couldn't agree more. Riding on the street is a high stakes game of dodge-ball.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #38
Blanco
BORC O.G.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2013 ZX10R & 09 ZX-14
'09 R1 (homeboy shopping network donation)
'07 ZX14 (sold)
'01 FZ1 (sold)
ZRX1100 (sold)

If its in your blood, its in your blood.
Yes its worth it if riding is your passion.

Being a little older, I have done everything from riding quads (Sport and 4x4) to riding dirt bikes to get my fix.
While those things are fun as , they are not my drug of choice. I always come back to street bikes.

You know the signs
...you start reading more bike articles
...the sound of an inline 4 howling on the road is like the call of the wild
...you get a whiff of bike exhaust and it SMELLS GOOD?
Yes, it is worth riding on the street becasue the alternative is not riding..at least not riding often enough.
Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #39
gots2no
Steve

Bike(s):
'94 Kawasaki ZX6
'78 Yamaha XS750E (sold)
'82 Yamaha XT200 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Blanco View Post
...the sound of an inline 4 howling on the road is like the call of the wild
Oh yea. An inline 4 at 12k - beautiful.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #40
Doug
Hangover

Bike(s):
FLTRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
its not the bike, it's the mindset

one could argue, if you keep the right frame of mind a sportbike is way better then any HD/cruiser because the performance boundries are so much higher, basicaly stops and accelerates and handles better.
Agreed, but no one buys a 125+ hp bike to go 60 mph down a farm road
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement