MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
duston98
Duston

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
BMW S1000 RR
HD Dyna Street Bob
KX250F
Pitster Pro X4r
PW50

Is street riding worth it ?

Its hard for me to think after racing dirt bikes since I was 5, and riding street bikes for the last 14 years that I ask myself if riding on the streets with all the crazy drivers that dont pay attention for us is really worth it. I was in a bad accident September 2010 and barely just started riding again a few months ago. I got a call Sunday that one of my best friends was hit by a car while on a bike ride not more than 30 miles from my accident. His leg had to be amputated and he is in ICU in Saltlake City. I'm headed there tomorrow for a week to be with him and his family. I kinda want to be around to watch my daughter grow up, know what I mean ? Maybe its wise to just keep it at the track. Its not my riding ability I worry about, but the people in cagers that dont watch for us.

My accident happen by a lady pulling out in front of me on a 2 lane highway while texting on her cell phone. I nearly died from internal bleeding and my back and neck still hurt about every day. I "t boned" her doing about 60. Luckily i had all my gear on.

Just thinking out loud here... BLAH

Here are some pics of my bike after my accident. If you dont wear your gear 100% of the time, these pics might make you think twice...

Ok, thats all I have to say for now...

duston98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Street Riding etiquette nilnwahs General Discussion (Moto Related) 38 06-07-2013 11:12 AM
I like riding Street more then Track. morvegil General Discussion (Moto Related) 58 10-26-2009 02:14 PM
Street riding...? chase General Discussion (Moto Related) 84 04-17-2009 01:12 PM
Street riding story BigComfy General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 06-07-2007 12:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Is street riding worth it ? yes
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

I really don't have a clear answer.

Sure there are the dangers on the street that you can't control, like cars, drivers, gravel or oil/wet spots, etc...

There are certain levels of dangers at the track too...

I love track and I love riding track days.

I loved the street and missed it so much that I had to get my street bike ASAP.

They are both worth it for me, street because of the freedom and enjoyment of getting up and just going wherever you want and ride your bike.

It's hard when you hear about people you know going down or thinking about yourself when it happened to you. I've had 2 accidents now on the street, but neither landed me in the hospital or with serious injuries. So I can't fully see where you are coming from.

If you are going to ride with that monkey on your back every time, I would suggest maybe taking a break until that goes away..no sense in being tense or not enjoying your ride because of that worry.

Just my advice.

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
duston98
Duston

Bike(s):
BMW S1000 RR
HD Dyna Street Bob
KX250F
Pitster Pro X4r
PW50

Understood.... I think from racing dirt bikes forever and getting broken up my whole life, getting back on the street doesnt scared me and I dont worry about it much while I'm riding. I really love riding and doubt that I would give it up, I just think about the consequenses sometimes of mistakes from other motorists. To me thats the most frustrating part, is for those of us that are experienced and reasonably good riders, a lot of the times our accidents are not our fault, but those in cars and trucks not looking out for us.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

I street ride mainly on small cc bikes to minimize the risk that I will do something stupid.

Is it worth it to me...totally.

If I start to think I am putting on a show or doing something stupid to impress on the street I reflect on how slow I am on a racetrack in comparison to the fast guys and try to redirect myself to improve on the track.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
TomballD

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

Its a rock and a hard place for me. I was severely hurt in an accident 4 months ago, broke my wrist, up my shoulder. Guess what, I was in a car. I sold my 600 before we decided to have kids, and now I rock a 350 dual sport on the street, and it keeps me from doing 150 down the freeways and wheelies all day, but still gives me that freedom to go where I want, explore new trails, and still kill some wheelies. But I feel I cant live in fear of what might happen in ANYTHING I do, because life is crazy and any minute can be your last, any decision can cripple you for life, good or bad.

I feel I have to enjoy the moments I have, and live with my decisions.

Do I want my son to ride on the streets, NO WAY IN !
Old 07-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

I had the same question awhile back.

While I am definitely pro track, since it helps you learn to control your motorcycle to a whole other level, As I got faster, and started watching the even faster guys, I started to realize how hurt you can get from crashing at the track as well.

Do you have a significantly less chance of dying on the street, sure I think. Getting hurt, I don't know anymore.

It IS worth it to have the freedom to go where you please, and experience different scenery, but if you're really really worried about being there for your kids and being able to support them financially, riding motorcycles isn't the safest sport in either facet.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:33 PM   #8
queenmoka
BORC O.G!!!!!!

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Aprilliiaaaaaaa RSV4R
S1000RR...BORC owned!
The Ninja.....

Member Garage

Pretty scary pictures you got there... At least you were riding full gear... Like you were at one of the last group ride on a Sunday.
Street riding as far as I am concerned .... You have to try to anticipate every moves of drivers around you because in today world , they spend more time on the phone than paying attention....
Scary out there but still so much fun...
queenmoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

I can not say it is not worth it... but i have to admit that i rarely ride on the street much any more...my cruiser hardly ever gets riden...i think it has been out of the garage once this year and for a very hort ride to a meet..
the sport bike has maybe 100 street miles on it this year... the rest of my riding is on the track, either trackdays or tmgp days.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #10
queenmoka
BORC O.G!!!!!!

Bike(s):
Aprilliiaaaaaaa RSV4R
S1000RR...BORC owned!
The Ninja.....

Member Garage

And one more thing, I am on a layover right now in San Francisco ,65 degrees blue sky and dry.... If only I could ride today in the nappa twisties...
So to come back to the thread, the pleasure of street riding I think is worth the risk if you put all your chances on your side and don't trust any car drivers around you !!!!!
Old 07-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #11
duston98
Duston

Bike(s):
BMW S1000 RR
HD Dyna Street Bob
KX250F
Pitster Pro X4r
PW50

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenmoka View Post
And one more thing, I am on a layover right now in San Francisco ,65 degrees blue sky and dry.... If only I could ride today in the nappa twisties...
So to come back to the thread, the pleasure of street riding I think is worth the risk if you put all your chances on your side and don't trust any car drivers around you !!!!!
Man... I lived in Napa for about a year and rode all over Napa and Sonoma Valley. So cool and a really cool Bay Area riding group, similar to motohouston. I'd love to go back and ride that hill country !!
Old 07-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #12
Soldaten

Bike(s):
2010 BMW F800 ST
YZ250 (sold)
BMW E30 Race Car
LeMons Race Car (burned)

I think about it everytime I put on my helmet! But I also get on airplanes a lot. A steel tube, 35,000 feet in the air doing 700 mphs. I can get killed doing that. I drive a car in Houston. How many people get killed everyday driving a car? A lot!

I also think a lot about a quote from Teddy Roosevelt:
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat!"

I think what's trying to get across is that if you want to experience life, you have to get out there and just do it............ the dangers!

Is it worth it?............I'd say yes!
Old 07-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #13
1FC
380 Racing & Paint

Bike(s):
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR

Did the lady at least say she was sorry ? cause you know that makes it ok when your texting driving and pull out in front of a motorcycle. dumb
1FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #14
queenmoka
BORC O.G!!!!!!

Bike(s):
Aprilliiaaaaaaa RSV4R
S1000RR...BORC owned!
The Ninja.....

Member Garage

Man... I lived in Napa for about a year and rode all over Napa and Sonoma Valley. So cool and a really cool Bay Area riding group, similar to motohouston. I'd love to go back and ride that hill country !!

Great area for sure. I am pretty new with Houston community but I like it, I have been riding before mostly in France but at the end of the day ... It's all about riding with friends...
Is it after your accident that you made the switch to the S1KRR? Amazing bike by the way.... First time that I am so happy with a bike and not looking for something else ...
Old 07-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #15
duston98
Duston

Bike(s):
BMW S1000 RR
HD Dyna Street Bob
KX250F
Pitster Pro X4r
PW50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FC View Post
Did the lady at least say she was sorry ? cause you know that makes it ok when your texting driving and pull out in front of a motorcycle. dumb
Notta, I never heard from her !
Old 07-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #16
duston98
Duston

Bike(s):
BMW S1000 RR
HD Dyna Street Bob
KX250F
Pitster Pro X4r
PW50

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenmoka View Post

Great area for sure. I am pretty new with Houston community but I like it, I have been riding before mostly in France but at the end of the day ... It's all about riding with friends...
Is it after your accident that you made the switch to the S1KRR? Amazing bike by the way.... First time that I am so happy with a bike and not looking for something else ...
Yes, I got my S1Krr after my Repsol bike got destroyed. Thanks, its the coolest bike I've had so far ! I've had a lot of bikes including some Ducs and I'll take the BMW anyday...
Old 07-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #17
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

For me...it is no longer worth the risk.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #18
AaronP220
Sir Ballmanship

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 Fleshlight

I started riding the track 2.5 years ago. After a year of street/track riding I gave up the street completely. Don't miss it at all.
AaronP220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #19
Morphish
Fast for a Commuter

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2004 Suzuki Katana B12
2005 Triumph Rocket ]I[
1983 Honda GL1100 (sold)

Well, one way to think about it:

All outdoor "adventure" activities are dangerous. Each one has risk associated with it and can be measured statistically.

Motorcycles (and this includes the one-vehicle accidents, stunting injuries, and no-evasive-action stuff as well as the 100k mile GoldWing rider) is statistically about the same danger level as horseback riding and rock climbing. It's slightly more dangerous (just slightly) than scuba diving, slightly safer than private aviation and white water kayaking, and significantly safer than skydiving (which also includes wingsuit and BASE jumping).

It isn't inherently dangerous (like bungee jumping) since the bike itself is very stable and American roads are generally well-maintained.

So, since I would be doing SOME kind of outdoor adventure activity (since otherwise I would get my kicks from books and videogames only), I picked one that I LOVE LOVE LOVE - AND - is about the middle of the pack in terms of danger.

So, the question isn't whether motorcycles are dangerous. Clearly they are. But if I wasn't riding I would be doing something else outside. And THAT would be about the same level of danger. Well, probably more, since wingsuit was my #2 choice.
Morphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #20
slowposer
pose slower

Bike(s):
bikeless :(

its a defining characteristic of who we are...take that away and we're just "normal". sorry about your accident. kind of coincidental but a friend of mine that was in a coma, amongst other serious injuries, from an accident years ago just purchased a s1000rr for the street...its just in our make up.
slowposer is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement