Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2007, 05:30 PM   #41
Buck Nasty
-playboy-

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):

cool, lot of info here which brings me to another question. First, my right collar bone looks like a tree branch, not from my crash at the track but back when i was 16. It healed wrong and its broke a few times since then, I know if your gonna break something from falling off its usualy your collar bones so what usualy causes it? is it the impact on your shoulder, or the bottom of your helmet when it hits the pavment.

My story really sucks now whenever it gets a little cold my shoulder aches like a MF, im trying to figure out if theres a way to save em.
Buck Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where to buy a suit? jakeg Off Topic 34 10-06-2013 04:19 PM
What size suit? jakeg Taking it to the Track 19 02-27-2012 12:41 PM
ANyone got a suit i could use Metzzen1 General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 02-18-2010 11:18 AM
New Suit Somebody1010 General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 11-15-2008 11:22 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-16-2007, 05:34 PM   #42
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

My Spidi is crash tested and mother approved! It held up well in a 55+ mph lowside where I slid about 60'. Not even a torn stitch or hole in the suit. I am very impressed with it. I would highly reccomend this suit to anyone
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:39 PM   #43
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Nasty
cool, lot of info here which brings me to another question. First, my right collar bone looks like a tree branch, not from my crash at the track but back when i was 16. It healed wrong and its broke a few times since then, I know if your gonna break something from falling off its usualy your collar bones so what usualy causes it? is it the impact on your shoulder, or the bottom of your helmet when it hits the pavment.

My story really sucks now whenever it gets a little cold my shoulder aches like a MF, im trying to figure out if theres a way to save em.
Surgery, get you some titanium. That is about it. It takes little pressure to snap a collar bone.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 06:07 PM   #44
Denee
Leather n lace

Bike(s):
TL1000r(race), '06 GSXR600

Send a message via AIM to Denee
As I sit here treating/stretching my newest leathers out, the question is about your,my collar bone and why it breaks? First off, the clavicle(collar bone) is the only boney attachment for the scapulohumeral(shoulder blade) system(supported by a vast network of muscles). It pivots at the top of the sternum where it's attached via ligaments and is joint in that it has synovial linings to allow smooth articulation or motion which can become arthritic if traumatized. Same goes for the acromio-clavicular joint(the other end of the clavicle closest to the outter portion nearest the shoulder.
When one crashes, falls, the instant reaction is to reach out for self preservation, a natural reaction! But, thinking about the human body in what yours or mine may weigh compounded by force, the little collar bone just can't withstand the impact, so "SNAP!!!" it goes, and the classic look is the shoulder has dropped down! Actually, if it weren't for this bone to break from such a force, the energy would go to the glenohumeral joint(shoulder) and the shoulder being a rather weak joint despite its multiaxial function, would be compromised greatly, of course more distal to proximal would be the wrist, forearm, and upper arm(spare the correct anatomical names)! So it's actualy better or if there was a choice, the collar bone would be best to break! I hope this gives you an idea as to why it breaks. If one knew or was prepared for such a crash, one may want to cross up the arms somehow, but I've never analyzed different situations.

In the meantime, stretchiing leathers: I have just used some leather stuff, and placed my leathers in the dryer for about 10 minutes and allow to get pretty warm if not hot. Now when I take them out, they are warm and more pliable plus the leather stuff helps it to stretch better. I put them on and do stretching activities as I would for any muscle group in my body. Seems to have really helped! Not a bad idea to keep your leathers properly treated and may aid from tearing them up when crashing as the leathers would be "moist" and less likely to tear, especially at the seams!
dene'
Denee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 06:18 PM   #45
nutmegchoi
Go girls!

Bike(s):
2013 CBR600RR Repsol

A lot of times collar bone breaks from bottom of the helmet hits it during the crash.
A traveler pillow looking collar bone protector can save that, but it looks... very goofy.

0f 1
nutmegchoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 06:25 PM   #46
Red5

Quote:
A traveler pillow looking collar bone protector can save that, but it looks... very goofy.
Yeah, tell that to Henrick. And run.

If your budget can allow it, a custom 1-piece suit would be best (from the already mentioned Syed, Vansons, Barnacle Bill's). Those suits are sized to fit your personal dimensions. Which means they should fit snug as possible. Less chance of the leather material "rolling" when you hit the pavement. Thus less chances of rashes or burns.

The basic suits from those custom makers don't have the flashy appearance of the bigger names on the market, but it holds up to its duty. FWIW, I have a Syed jacket which is about 8 years old. Took a long time to break in because of the leather's thickness. Low-speed slide off into a field only caused surface scratches. No harm to the stiching at all. Quality stuff.

Last edited by Red5; 01-16-2007 at 06:44 PM.
Red5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 06:46 PM   #47
NOsquid

To me, the definition of a good suit is one that is protective and reasonably comfortable. I don't care about anything else. There is a standard in Europe for leather protective gear much like we have Snell and DOT here for helmets. Very few suits are actually certified to the highest level. There are actual scientific tests for the armor, leather, and stitching. There is a little more information here if you are interested:

http://www.ntsb.gov/events/symp_moto...%20(paper).pdf

You can order a proper set of leathers that meet this standard from the UK, for instance BKS or Hideout. On this side of the ocean you're pretty much stuck figuring it out as best you can for yourself. So some brief advice follows, just my opinions.

_Fit is very important. Bad fit = bad protection, same as a helmet. Not to mention a good fit is comfortable. With this in mind it may be best to look at custom suits if your body is not average (ie tall/skinny or short/fat or any extreme) because this is what most off-the-rack suits are built to fit.

_We don't have many CE suits around, but we do have CE armor. Get some put into your suit. Tpro seems to take safety seriously but there are lots of choices. http://www.johnsonleather.com/armor_main.htm

_Don't look so much at brand names, look at the design. Pretty/fancy designs are more complicated and more fragile. Every stitch is a possible point of failure for a suit. Simple is tough. If you do want something pretty, make sure the suit isn't built like a quilt. The graphics should be on top of a larger leather panel, they shouldn't be an integral part holding the suit together.

_Perforated leather is weaker. You may want to compromise here since it's the South. Different people have different theories on perforation, some manufacturers go with tiny holes very close together, others bigger holes fall apart. Barnacle Bill for instance goes with bigger holes, farther apart and glues an extra layer of leather underneath for added strength. I don't know what is best but the bottom line is poking holes through leather isn't making it any stronger. Same principle as looking for fewer stitches, leather can tear along the dotted line like a piece of toilet paper.

_If you get to play with a prospective suit in person, look at the stitching very carefully. Here is a good post with details:

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=61061

You may have to register but it's worth it.
NOsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 06:59 PM   #48
Denee
Leather n lace

Bike(s):

When I was first getting into this biking thing, John Klaus of Klaus speedworks, I asked him<"what else should I put in my leathers beside a back protetor?" he says, "when you go down, you'll want everything you can put in 'em!!" Notice he said "When" and not if! lol

BTW, if any of you know John Klaus, you may want to keep in mind, he's been really really ill for the past year when his gall bladder flared up and was removed, he's still having , he still goes out into the shop, but he has to take frequent breaks! I stop by and visit the Klaus's since I'm over that way from time to time. Give him a hoot when in need of a part, I buy when I can to help them. His son is the sweetest young man i've ever met, that goes for the Mom as well!
dne'
Old 01-16-2007, 07:57 PM   #49
jrock
straight shooter

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
Denee, what leather stuff are you using to moisten your suit?

I havent touched mine in over two months and am about to get it out and clean it. I dont have any sort of conditioner .
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 08:15 PM   #50
Denee
Leather n lace

Bike(s):

I am serious about stretching my suit!! lol I'm getting really hot in this suit!!
Well J, the stuff I bought from a shoe shop is called: Leather lotion(seriously). I'm sure there may be better products, but this seems to be doing ok for now. I think you just have to spend some time in your suit(off bike), lotion, heat, stretch! I think i'll go shopping for "other lotions" tomorrow.
dne'
What suit do you have?
Old 01-16-2007, 08:28 PM   #51
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

my old joe rocket held up VERY well through 2 small low sides and one highside. my new joe rocket one piece fits great and is comfy enough for an all day summer ride. I did 350 miles one day, I think it was in August.

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 08:31 PM   #52
YankeeR6
Lets ride!!

Bike(s):
06 R6 50th A.E.

Send a message via AIM to YankeeR6 Send a message via Yahoo to YankeeR6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denee
I am serious about stretching my suit!! lol I'm getting really hot in this suit!!
Well J, the stuff I bought from a shoe shop is called: Leather lotion(seriously). I'm sure there may be better products, but this seems to be doing ok for now. I think you just have to spend some time in your suit(off bike), lotion, heat, stretch! I think i'll go shopping for "other lotions" tomorrow.
dne'
What suit do you have?

Thats awesome :laughing6

sig600x150
YankeeR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:02 PM   #53
Swift E

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

I'm looking to get some new leathers here pretty soon myself
Old 04-23-2007, 09:05 PM   #54
50cc chick
I <3 Josh

Bike(s):
Aprilia Ride Smart 50 (SOLD)

Send a message via AIM to 50cc chick
I have a Frank Thomas one piece that is awsome. MOST Frank Thomas suits have a lifetime warranty, my zipper broke on mine and had to get a new one. Instead of just replacing the zipper they gave me a brand NEW one. Great suit!!
50cc chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:07 PM   #55
50cc chick
I <3 Josh

Bike(s):
Aprilia Ride Smart 50 (SOLD)

Send a message via AIM to 50cc chick
here's a pic of the back of my Frank Thomas suit...
leathers
50cc chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:15 PM   #56
Swift E

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift E
I'm looking to get some new leathers here pretty soon myself
Can someone get me a quote on the FX Series?
Size 42
49571black01
Old 04-23-2007, 10:10 PM   #57
NOsquid

Your quote is "too much money for an off-the-rack suit" Go custom.
NOsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:11 PM   #58
ysr612

Bike(s):
Transalp, DRZ, Hurricane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denee
As I sit here treating/stretching my newest leathers out, the question is about your,my collar bone and why it breaks? First off, the clavicle(collar bone) is the only boney attachment for the scapulohumeral(shoulder blade) system(supported by a vast network of muscles). It pivots at the top of the sternum where it's attached via ligaments and is joint in that it has synovial linings to allow smooth articulation or motion which can become arthritic if traumatized. Same goes for the acromio-clavicular joint(the other end of the clavicle closest to the outter portion nearest the shoulder.
When one crashes, falls, the instant reaction is to reach out for self preservation, a natural reaction! But, thinking about the human body in what yours or mine may weigh compounded by force, the little collar bone just can't withstand the impact, so "SNAP!!!" it goes, and the classic look is the shoulder has dropped down! Actually, if it weren't for this bone to break from such a force, the energy would go to the glenohumeral joint(shoulder) and the shoulder being a rather weak joint despite its multiaxial function, would be compromised greatly, of course more distal to proximal would be the wrist, forearm, and upper arm(spare the correct anatomical names)! So it's actualy better or if there was a choice, the collar bone would be best to break! I hope this gives you an idea as to why it breaks. If one knew or was prepared for such a crash, one may want to cross up the arms somehow, but I've never analyzed different situations.

dene'

I know you are PT but was that from a text book, or from the RoadRacing world article, or just from memory. :notworthy

Codes books point out the same thing just not as well.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:20 PM   #59
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
I have a joe rocket 2 piece suit and it has held up well through 3 crashes. 1 low side at oak hill, low side at msrh, and tankslapper at 110+ at msrh. There has been no signs of damage till the tank slapper. There is very little damage, just a seam came undone from slidin on my . I had to pull it apart to see it had worn the stitching out.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:05 AM   #60
Swift E

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Both the Teknic and the AVG have held up very well in crash tests.
But the AVG seems to eat my crotch. ( a bit tight )