MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
CBR_TRAN
Another Short Asian

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2007 Cbr600rr
1972 cb450 (cafe under construction)
2008 Kawasaki 250r (sold)

Guidelines for "Noob" Rides, discuss

So recently there's been a lot of debate about how a noob ride should be conducted, how to exactly describe a noob (riding experience, seat time, group ride exp, etc?).

Instead of thread jacking in the rides and meets section, why not discuss here? Let's make some guidelines for people who wish to conduct a noob ride? Let's keep it classy...

To start, and I don't mean to hurt ANYONE's feelings, the best "noob" friendly rides I've been on are the one's lead by Thayleal. There was actual teaching in the rider's meetings, usually Thayleal or another member went over all the hand signals, the rules, and BaoPee or someone else would demonstrate Body Positioning. Maybe this should be mandatory before all "noob friendly rides".

All I have for now.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NOOB RIDE: "FOREST START" Thursday, 17Apr14 TMAX Events, Meets and Rides 12 04-17-2014 10:41 PM
Guidelines for "Noob" TMAX Riders, discuss Bevo Off Topic 71 07-27-2012 12:51 AM
"THC" SEPT. Wed nite and Sunday rides..... KORN13 Events, Meets and Rides 28 09-20-2007 03:18 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
dudewhrsmybike

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
Knew this was coming.....
Old 07-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
Morphish
Fast for a Commuter

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2004 Suzuki Katana B12
2005 Triumph Rocket ]I[
1983 Honda GL1100 (sold)

I think you have all the ingredients - a ride designed for people with very little seat and group time.

It needs to have an information session that covers all sorts of stuff like hand signals and etiquitte. It needs to have helpers interspersed with the new riders. And it needs to go at posted safe speeds. It should probably have a few extra breaks so that the helpers can give some instruction and to prevent the new riders from becoming mentally exhausted (all sorts of new things to keep track of and remember).

And hats off to those who put these on. I've enjoyed my share of them, for sure.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
CUZ
Wheelie Man

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
09 ninja 250

I'm sure my 1st group ride wasn't "noob" intended(mostly track addicts) to tell you the truth I had no idea what I was doing. I just wanted to ride Now I know so... much it's insane how I have survived. Its really the people you ride with the one's that will take the time and point out things to you that's make a successful noob ride.

Take That Dive
Old 07-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
Morphish
Fast for a Commuter

Bike(s):
2004 Suzuki Katana B12
2005 Triumph Rocket ]I[
1983 Honda GL1100 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUZ View Post
I'm sure my 1st group ride wasn't "noob" intended(mostly track addicts) to tell you the truth I had no idea what I was doing. I just wanted to ride Now I know so... much it's insane how I have survived. Its really the people you ride with the one's that will take the time and point out things to you that's make a successful noob ride.
I think I was with you on that one. If I remember correctly, you were .... lucky. Right?
Old 07-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
CBR_TRAN
Another Short Asian

Bike(s):
2007 Cbr600rr

Great point Morhpish about taking breaks. I remember on my first noob ride, there were also a lot of track people, BUT we took a lot of breaks and the guys (BaoPee, Rykoson, Pachuco, NewRider and others sorry I forgot your names) offered the noobs there a lot of advice and pointers each break.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:29 PM   #7
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

IMO, noob rides should be teaching rides. I put on quite a few last year before I broke my foot, and I always had at least 3 experienced guys there (same ones each time) that spread out through the group and kept an eye on the noobs. We had plenty of stops, and at each one, the experienced guys would talk to the noobs about things they could work on.

Only ever had two issues on my rides. One was a guy who had never ridden with us gapping the rider in front of him so he could go through turns faster. Noob behind him went wide, crossed the center line and got his rear end loose, but saved it. I now address that at all my rides. The other issue was me finding the ditch on my own ride.

The most important part of a noob ride is the leader. At the pre-ride meet, let everyone know what the pace will be and then STICK TO IT. If everyone knows that the pace will be 10-over and the leader keeps that pace there won't be any surprises. I have been on "noob" rides where the leader was passed by other riders in the twisties, then took off to ride fast with those that passed them. Bad juju right there.

A noob ride should also be long enough that it gives guys a chance to use what they learn from experienced riders...even if that means riding the same stretch of road several times, and no...CRR isn't enough.

Almost...if not equally as important as the leader...is the mentality of your helpers. It is vital that your experienced helpers know that the pace will not change as long as people are still having issues. It does no good for all your helpers to get bored and bail. Then the leader is stuck with a group of noobs that he cannot adequately keep an eye on. The ride can still continue, but the teaching aspect of the ride is pretty much shot if your helpers leave.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #8
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Done.
http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=213475
Old 07-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #9
Squid
A Real Squid - USN 91-99

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2005 Harley Softail Deluxe
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650

Send a message via Yahoo to Squid
I have about 40 years of seat time on motorcycles, and I'll always feel like a Noob.

I love riding, and I love being around people who love riding.

I don't like riding around arrogant who think they've reached the Holy Grail of riding skills - mainly because I feel guilty when I don't go to their eventual motorcycle-related funerals

But, seriously, enjoy the wind, enjoy the brother and sisterhood of riding, and "Shut up and ride," as my Harley Brother Wrench says.

I will never hold you guys up, and my feelings will never be hurt if you leave me behind - I have a GPS and I'm not afraid to use it.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #10
CBR_TRAN
Another Short Asian

Bike(s):
2007 Cbr600rr

Pinball, I definitely enjoyed your noob ride. There were no surprises at all during the ride and you were definitely very stern during the meeting about the rules. I will admit that on the particular ride that I went with you, I did gap the rider in front of me a bit so I could go a lil faster in the turn, but Trey was the sweeper behind me. My apologies.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #11
CBR_TRAN
Another Short Asian

Bike(s):
2007 Cbr600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Did not know that was there, thanks! Sorry for my noobness not using the search button Maybe we can update it with some good ideas from this thread?
Old 07-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #12
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR_TRAN View Post
Pinball, I definitely enjoyed your noob ride. There were no surprises at all during the ride and you were definitely very stern during the meeting about the rules. I will admit that on the particular ride that I went with you, I did gap the rider in front of me a bit so I could go a lil faster in the turn, but Trey was the sweeper behind me. My apologies.
No worries. It's one thing if the rider behind you is experienced enough to ride faster (or experienced enough to know that he can't, so he doesn't try to keep up). It's an entirely different thing, as was the case in this particular ride, if the guy behind you has been riding for less than two weeks.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #13
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

Quote:
So recently there's been a lot of debate about how a noob ride should be conducted, how to exactly describe a noob (riding experience, seat time, group ride exp, etc?).

Instead of thread jacking in the rides and meets section, why not discuss here? Let's make some guidelines for people who wish to conduct a noob ride? Let's keep it classy...

To start, and I don't mean to hurt ANYONE's feelings, the best "noob" friendly rides I've been on are the one's lead by Thayleal. There was actual teaching in the rider's meetings, usually Thayleal or another member went over all the hand signals, the rules, and BaoPee or someone else would demonstrate Body Positioning. Maybe this should be mandatory before all "noob friendly rides".

All I have for now.
Senator beat me to it.

I'll the thread that it kinda started from too...
http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=214775

There are plenty of good things to a noob ride. The most important is the noob actually showing up to learn and not think of just going fast...

HALFFAST GROUP
Old 07-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #14
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Did not know that was there, thanks! Sorry for my noobness not using the search button Maybe we can update it with some good ideas from this thread?
Absolutely!
Its about teaching the right way to inexperienced riders so that they will be around long enough to enjoy the ride.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #15
VicTOEmizer

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)
Ducati multistrada :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
IMO, noob rides should be teaching rides. I put on quite a few last year before I broke my foot, and I always had at least 3 experienced guys there (same ones each time) that spread out through the group and kept an eye on the noobs. We had plenty of stops, and at each one, the experienced guys would talk to the noobs about things they could work on.

Only ever had two issues on my rides. One was a guy who had never ridden with us gapping the rider in front of him so he could go through turns faster. Noob behind him went wide, crossed the center line and got his rear end loose, but saved it. I now address that at all my rides. The other issue was me finding the ditch on my own ride.

The most important part of a noob ride is the leader. At the pre-ride meet, let everyone know what the pace will be and then STICK TO IT. If everyone knows that the pace will be 10-over and the leader keeps that pace there won't be any surprises. I have been on "noob" rides where the leader was passed by other riders in the twisties, then took off to ride fast with those that passed them. Bad juju right there.

A noob ride should also be long enough that it gives guys a chance to use what they learn from experienced riders...even if that means riding the same stretch of road several times, and no...CRR isn't enough.

Almost...if not equally as important as the leader...is the mentality of your helpers. It is vital that your experienced helpers know that the pace will not change as long as people are still having issues. It does no good for all your helpers to get bored and bail. Then the leader is stuck with a group of noobs that he cannot adequately keep an eye on. The ride can still continue, but the teaching aspect of the ride is pretty much shot if your helpers leave.
I always like riding with you pinball, although I did bail on the twisties once.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #16
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc51rider View Post
I always like riding with you pinball, although I did bail on the twisties once.
Yeah, but you made up for it by missing over half of the next ride.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:58 PM   #17
BaoPee
12 yr old Asian boy

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months

pinball

info@halffastgroup.com
Old 07-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #18
VicTOEmizer

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)
Ducati multistrada :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
Yeah, but you made up for it by missing over half of the next ride.

I just wanted to ride with pam...
Old 07-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #19
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

I am willing to help anyone new. I am no expert, but I can teach what I have learned from others, and personal experience.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #20
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Well apparently body position is "all for show".

These are the types of comments we need to avoid because body position has nothing to do with geometry and traction, not to mention looking through turns.

Advertisement