MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Events, Meets and Rides
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
Blanco
BORC O.G.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 ZX10R & 09 ZX-14
'09 R1 (homeboy shopping network donation)
'07 ZX14 (sold)
'01 FZ1 (sold)
ZRX1100 (sold)

*Revised: Noob Ride Sat July 14th 2012*

**Ride Canceled**

Too many opinions and issues being aired out here.

Last edited by Blanco; 07-10-2012 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Cluster
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saturday, July 3rd - NOOB & Non-Noob Ride to F-ville 99 Chris Events, Meets and Rides 67 07-02-2010 07:21 PM
SW/W Side Meet & Ride for Sept. 14th NOOB Forrest Ride 99 Chris Events, Meets and Rides 14 09-12-2008 01:21 PM
Sept. 14th noob forest ride south side meet... MudBug Events, Meets and Rides 21 09-10-2008 12:21 PM
Tonight? Sat July 14th SexualChocolate Events, Meets and Rides 20 07-14-2007 08:58 PM
Sat 14th Heartbreakers Galv ride RojerLockless Events, Meets and Rides 26 04-15-2007 06:53 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
Blanco
BORC O.G.

Bike(s):
2013 ZX10R & 09 ZX-14
'07 ZX14 (sold)
'01 FZ1 (sold)
ZRX1100 (sold)

Last edited by Blanco; 07-10-2012 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Cluster thread
Old 07-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
chibit89

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
Ninja 250r Red

Hi,

A friend and I might be interested, pending weather, will confirm by friday. Looking forward to the ride!

2) ChibiT89 and friend
Old 07-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
SupaHawk

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 CBR1000RR SP
'08 zx6(sold)
01 750gixxer(sold)
08 CBR1000RR
06 Honda CBR1000RR

i am iinetersted
Old 07-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
Blanco
BORC O.G.

Bike(s):
2013 ZX10R & 09 ZX-14
'07 ZX14 (sold)
'01 FZ1 (sold)
ZRX1100 (sold)

Last edited by Blanco; 07-10-2012 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Cluster thread
Old 07-09-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
theManofRussia
Who dares, wins.

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
Honda CBR600RR
Specialized Epic S-Works
Specialized Rockhopper

Member Garage

I'm down for this. Jeff's rides are the best.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #7
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

A moderate pace is not noob friendly. Please fix thread title/OP.

This is why you're getting "quasi-racer" stances. Although some parts of the "quasi-racer" stance are used to teach noobs how to position their body and get set before the turn comes.

I don't mean to threadjack, and I appreciate the inclusion of noobs around here, but teach them right.

Have a good ride everyone.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #8
Blanco
BORC O.G.

Bike(s):
2013 ZX10R & 09 ZX-14
'07 ZX14 (sold)
'01 FZ1 (sold)
ZRX1100 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
A moderate pace is not noob friendly. Please fix thread title/OP.

This is why you're getting "quasi-racer" stances. Although some parts of the "quasi-racer" stance are used to teach noobs how to position their body and get set before the turn comes.

I don't mean to threadjack, and I appreciate the inclusion of noobs around here, but teach them right.

Have a good ride everyone.
To date, I have not seen any teaching. I have seen a lot of caring comments about "noobs" but not a lot of teaching.
No, the "quasi racer" stances were demonstrated by experienced riders and mimicked by the"noobs"who were off the seat riding againt the yellow line.

I believe that I explained the pace of the ride adequately- definition of the word moderate.
Here you go:

1.kept or keeping within reasonable or proper limits; not extreme, excessive, or intense: a moderate price.

of medium quantity, extent, or amount: a moderate income.

mediocre or fair: moderate talent.

calm or mild, as of the weather.

of or pertaining to moderates, as in politics or religion.od·er·ate

The issue here is that people are quick to jump into a conversation and add little quips without even gaining an understanding first.
I appreciate debate as much as anyone on the planet which is why I voiced my opinion and observations in a different forum. I stand by everything I stated in the Counter Steering thread.
If people are so concerned with teaching then demonstrate the proper technique and explain it to the "noobs"instead of trying to flame someone for "+1 or Ha Ha, or points" with thier friends.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
Morphish
Fast for a Commuter

Bike(s):
2004 Suzuki Katana B12
2005 Triumph Rocket ]I[
1983 Honda GL1100 (sold)

It might be worth using the term "noob" to refer to people with little or no experience (especially no experience with group rides). Learning to adjust pace to other riders, practice hand signals, look out for each other - all this takes time and some mental focus to learn at first. A person without experience has no way to understand what it means to ride within their limits, making group rides geared toward them perhaps 90% educational rather than just fun.

From what I can tell, ride speeds are slow, moderate, fast, and ultra fast. Slow keeps within +5 to +10mph of posted safe speeds. Moderate keeps within +5 to +15mph of the speed limit. Fast and ultra fast go up from there. Generally ultra fast rides are with people that you know and trust and rarely if ever are announced on the message boards (usually it's a text to your buddy or a dedicated group that meets up every week).

There are plenty of reasons why someone might choose one speed over another, just due to the context. But the assumption that "noob"==slow ... I dunno about that. It makes for confusing group ride announcements.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
Blanco
BORC O.G.

Bike(s):
2013 ZX10R & 09 ZX-14
'07 ZX14 (sold)
'01 FZ1 (sold)
ZRX1100 (sold)

I think you have a great point.
WTF is a "Noob" by definition. I personally loathe the term but part of that is my age and the word has meanings applied to anyone new to an activity. I use it here only because it is recognized here.
I chose the word moderate on purpose to not imply slow and turn away someone interested in a ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphish View Post
It might be worth using the term "noob" to refer to people with little or no experience (especially no experience with group rides). Learning to adjust pace to other riders, practice hand signals, look out for each other - all this takes time and some mental focus to learn at first. A person without experience has no way to understand what it means to ride within their limits, making group rides geared toward them perhaps 90% educational rather than just fun.

From what I can tell, ride speeds are slow, moderate, fast, and ultra fast. Slow keeps within +5 to +10mph of posted safe speeds. Moderate keeps within +5 to +15mph of the speed limit. Fast and ultra fast go up from there. Generally ultra fast rides are with people that you know and trust and rarely if ever are announced on the message boards (usually it's a text to your buddy or a dedicated group that meets up every week).

There are plenty of reasons why someone might choose one speed over another, just due to the context. But the assumption that "noob"==slow ... I dunno about that. It makes for confusing group ride announcements.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:03 PM   #11
dudewhrsmybike

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
Here ya go....

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=230472

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
Old 07-09-2012, 08:08 PM   #12
Morphish
Fast for a Commuter

Bike(s):
2004 Suzuki Katana B12
2005 Triumph Rocket ]I[
1983 Honda GL1100 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewhrsmybike View Post
Good call. Sorry to graffiti your thread, Blanco. And I really wish I could come with on the ride.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #13
Squid
A Real Squid - USN 91-99

Bike(s):
2005 Harley Softail Deluxe
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650

Send a message via Yahoo to Squid
Count me in
Old 07-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #14
bluepine

Hey 07Blanco,

Chill out! This became a subject of interest, hence should be addressed in the future rides. I do completely agree with you on the fact that there is a possibility of confusing and/or giving wrong direction to the noobs, if a proper guidance or information wasn't given about body position and so on. I was like you before i started hitting the track and learned the dynamics involved with cornering on an SS bike. But you should also understand that most of us who did get involved in helping or organizing rides were open to, and given proper direction to noob riders many times in the past and are continuing to do. During the rides Thayleal organized, a thorough explanation were given to noobs about the bp, and even instructed them on it. And also the point was made and explained many times over that those who are joining the ride for the first time, should not focus on body position, but to learn the other critical elements involved on riding motorcycle safely. Systems were created and carried on by other devoted guys such as Newrider, Senator, Rykoson, Bevo, Baopee, and so on and on to help the new riders to get in this game to enjoy safely and properly. These guys went to the extend to create fund to support new riders to go the track for free(Newrider), or donate gears for the new comers(Rykoson), as well as creating an adequate riding system to maintain safety and care for the new riders in group rides(Senator). Everything evolves and progresses. We are all here in this social network of riders to learn from each other. And most importantly to help each other. And i think it is working good! Let's one day get together and discuss about it and resolve the confusion and misunderstanding. I think the joke from Dlite was just that, an innocent joke. So just take it the way it is, Dlitely. ; )
Hope to see you soon on a ride.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:29 PM   #15
CBR_TRAN
Another Short Asian

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2007 Cbr600rr
1972 cb450 (cafe under construction)
2008 Kawasaki 250r (sold)

If the weather is awesome and If I'm welcome, I'm in. I just wanna learn as much as possible and open to all criticism and advice
Old 07-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #16
Blanco
BORC O.G.

Bike(s):
2013 ZX10R & 09 ZX-14
'07 ZX14 (sold)
'01 FZ1 (sold)
ZRX1100 (sold)

I am chilled but annoyed at people's persitance at trying to make jokes and creating distractions for the new riders or others.
First of all, I never jumped into a ride thread with some bullshit. If anyone, Dlite included wanted to engage the debate or make a joke do it in the right forum instead of f-ing up another opportunity for riders to ride and participate. Dlite never once replied to the original thread but conveniently took the shot in the wrong forum.
I never bagged on anyones organization or efforts. I made a point in the appropriate forum.
Perhaps all of the finer details of body positioning should be restated in another sticky thread but I stand by my original position that unless you know how and why your bike is steering, all of that BP is show and will probably get you dead without proper training and context.. Again, refer to Counter Steering thread started by me.
"We are all here in this social network of riders to learn from each other. And most importantly to help each other."
---hey that's what I thought but apparently people are more concerned with making brownie points in the wrong forum?? Not a good demonstration of a community.
I am not referring to you. I respect opinion and debate and you weighed into the original discussion and are working toward a positive end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepine View Post
Hey 07Blanco,

Chill out! This became a subject of interest, hence should be addressed in the future rides. I do completely agree with you on the fact that there is a possibility of confusing and/or giving wrong direction to the noobs, if a proper guidance or information wasn't given about body position and so on. I was like you before i started hitting the track and learned the dynamics involved with cornering on an SS bike. But you should also understand that most of us who did get involved in helping or organizing rides were open to, and given proper direction to noob riders many times in the past and are continuing to do. During the rides Thayleal organized, a thorough explanation were given to noobs about the bp, and even instructed them on it. And also the point was made and explained many times over that those who are joining the ride for the first time, should not focus on body position, but to learn the other critical elements involved on riding motorcycle safely. Systems were created and carried on by other devoted guys such as Newrider, Senator, Rykoson, Bevo, Baopee, and so on and on to help the new riders to get in this game to enjoy safely and properly. These guys went to the extend to create fund to support new riders to go the track for free(Newrider), or donate gears for the new comers(Rykoson), as well as creating an adequate riding system to maintain safety and care for the new riders in group rides(Senator). Everything evolves and progresses. We are all here in this social network of riders to learn from each other. And most importantly to help each other. And i think it is working good! Let's one day get together and discuss about it and resolve the confusion and misunderstanding. I think the joke from Dlite was just that, an innocent joke. So just take it the way it is, Dlitely. ; )
Hope to see you soon on a ride.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:21 PM   #17
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

With all that said, if my bike is back from getting the carbs serviced and it's running good, I'll join the ride...

HALFFAST GROUP
Old 07-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #18
NJB

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2012 R6
2008 FJR1300

Might make this one, should know by the end of the week. I have ridden this route several times. Would be my first group ride, but not first ride
Old 07-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #19
dj504

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
suzuki 600
honda 750 nighthawk

would love to to come out. getting my brakes done friday if they are done i will be there.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #20
thecarter0

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2006 ZX636R
2006 300 SRT8

I might be there. S/n DJ504 are you from NO?
Closed Thread

Advertisement