MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track > Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

How much does a TMGP bike cost?

I have been asked that a lot lately and I hate that question.
Too many variables...
a lot of it depends on the guy asking the question and what he wants out of his bike.
Does he just want a TMGP legal bike to get out there and have fun with?
Does he want a TMGP bike that he is going to get out there and win with?
What class or classes does he want to race in?
TMGP is probably the cheapest way to get into racing, but it is not cheap, not by my standards anyway...
It is an honest question though, and one that deserves some thought before you jump out there and buy something...
On any given race day there will be bikes with a very wide variety of cost at the track... some guys bought the cheapest beater they could find, made the cheapest ebay/craigslist conversion purchases and came to the track...
some guys made some machine shops a lot of money with all the whistles and bells they had made to put their hopped up motor in highly modified frames with custom built suspension....had powder coating and painting done to do their checking account proud...
but in truth, from what i have seen, none of those "golden" bikes are winning anything...some ugly muthas are taking home the "awards" (such as they are)
if you are wanting to race on the super cheap, I would look for a bike already built and buy it and go race... look for a cheap F7 scoot and go ride...
spend a year just having fun racing, do not worry about winning... then you are having a blast while you learn what the really fast guys are doing and you can go from their build something competitive if that is what you want to do...in my opinion the rider makes the most difference in TMGP.
So still no mention of how much it costs... OK.
there are a couple of guys racing out there who do not have much over a thousand dollars total in what they are doing and there are guys out there who have custom built bikes that i have no clue how much money they have into it...they guys who spent less have just as much fun as the guys who spent the big bucks and both of them are getting beat by allen and darin and mike....
If you have any specific questions about cost.. post them up and if i know I will answer, if not some of the other guys will chime in or i will find someone who does know and ask them...
from what i have seen in the last few weeks of having guys come out to katy with us, or seeing guys at trackdays, it looks like we should have at least 6 new guys riding TMGP next season... and I am looking forward to seeing that happen.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How much would it cost to get a bike painted? Donte General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 04-18-2013 11:46 AM
TMGP Full Season Cost FastLine Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 17 11-10-2010 01:25 PM
how much would it cost me 2 get my bike from a to b... pwned General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 02-10-2010 01:38 PM
startup cost for TMGP Chubby Racer Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 73 08-07-2009 08:17 PM
Cost of owning a bike Faylaricia General Discussion (Moto Related) 60 10-12-2007 11:22 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
Jason_Canuck

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
A black one
and a red one

My costs to start last year (XR100)

500 for bike
80 for front wheel
100 for tires
100 bucks springs front and rear

This year

100 fork brace
150 big bore
150 exhaust
50 carb
15 pod filter

doesn't include any cosmetics or labor or any of my top secret parts (intended for Rob)
Old 07-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
rob78
. . . . . . . . .

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Late Model Never-Was

a basic bike can be purchased and be made ready to race for 500-1000

the simplest thing to do is find a bike, safety wire, tires then go ride it and mod it as you go.. that's what I'm doing and that's what alot of others have done or are doing

and like any competitive sport never expect to show up and start winning
TMGP #78
Team I Just Wanna Ride #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
go ahead and cry so I can use the tears as lubrication to stick it in you
rob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

What class would you guys suggest starting out in, and what are the most popular bikes ran in it?
TomballD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

i would suggest f7 with a crf100 or a klx110... and you can play in f6 too.
the bikes are so close, what ever you can find the best deal on.
rob rides a klx110 and i run a crf100, but we agree on pickle juice... actually he told me about pickle juice.....
Old 07-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #6
Jason_Canuck

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
A black one
and a red one

F7 (crf100/klx110) and race up from there. Better to start off on a slower bike and become a better rider than start out on a kx65 and only be able to putt around on track.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

crf100 is not only cheap, they are adult size comfortable. We rode Gosuki's kx65 to an expert 3rd place in endurance a few years ago. I hated that bikes ergos and constantly got off whining and crying and saying I never wanted to race that POS again. Time spent on an XR100 is great time to learn to be fast, and forget about the bike, power, and handling. Those things work themselves out when you start to get fast and put a little $$ in it.

Resale of XR100 is almost always worth the sum of the parts. Get a $500 beater, an extra 16" rim and spokes for the front end, spoon on some 16" ninja street tires, maybe weld up a free under engine frame brace, and go have fun. Brakes will suck, but you don't need em. Power sucks, but the thing will roll.

Plan on $10 - 20 an hour all in operating cost on a mini if you keep rebuilding it, new tires, new pads, 93 fuel, fresh oil, fresh engine top end once a season (not really needed on a CRF100), etc...

On a tight budget:

$700 - $1000 initial investment
$10 per hour operating costs
$20 per hour race fees
$15 gate

OK, forget everything above. It's like $1.00 a lap or less. (Not the $5 - $25 per lap of a big bike)
Old 07-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #8
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

ANd I should point out, on the Godsuki KX65 full build hot rod set up I was rugularly battling with skinny guys on almost stock CRF100's and TTR 125's.

In one endurance race, when I was beat up tired and barley hanging on, Rob78 comes inside me in a corner on **MY** CRF150F dirtbike with stock everything, running clapped out 16/19 street tires, mis-jetted and sputtering, with wooden brakes, and probably grinning ear to ear. $100 of set-up with 2/3 the HP outrunning my the $3000 set-up. Comfort is key.

Yeah, I and moaned after that race too. Mini's are soooo much more fun when you fit the bike. An XR100 is the perfect size, IMHO.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #9
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

all this talk of bikes and racing has me keyed up and ready for denton this weekend...
Old 07-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #10
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

It is cheaper if you find someone that lets you race on the team for a part of the expenses.
The 65's are fun but harder to ride. I would rather have a lot more battles with the F7 guys. More comfy bike.
I had fun on any bike as long as I was racing.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #11
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

endurance racing is the cheapest form of racing, no doubt.
You would need to know someone who needed a rider to complete his team, and there is almost always someone in that position.
In order to be able to endurance race however, there are a few things you need to have completed. If you are a licensed CMRA racer then all you need to do is show up and find someone who needs a rider. If not, then you are going to have to join TMGP, go to the riders school and complete two sprint races before you will be allowed to do an endurance race....not too big a deal. The riders school only costs like $35 and is done in the morning. The iders school is on saturday morning .the first or last weekend, you could do the school in the morning and your sprints that afternoon... the other weekends would require two race weekends because the sprints are on sunday afternoon and the endurance is on saturday... so if you did the riders school saturday morning, you could not do the endurance that weekend because you have to do at least two sprints first and the sprints are on sunday.
if you do not have a bike, you are going to have to borrow one to do your sprints on and there is a strong possibility that who ever you are going to be endurancing with, will also be sprinting and you can not both ride the bike at the same time...but something could be worked out... not as complicated as it sounds. lots of guys have mulitiple bikes so you just have to talk them into letting you use one...and if they have enough confidence in you to have you on their endurance team, the likley would let you use a bike for the sprints...of course, the usual thing is if you break it, you pay to fix it... but that is not usually a big deal...John, when are you going to get off your and get out there and ride?
Old 07-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #12
TheVirus
Original OG

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2001 SV650S
2009 *Secret*

I have been thinking of getting involved in this for a LONG time. I got the money could afford and have hours and hours of experience on these bikes. We often make our own tracks in Austin on my friends property and just ride time trails to get the fastest time around the track. I know i have the skill, just don't know anyone involved enough to go out there with to find someone looking for someone on their team. I don't like going alone, i don't know why, rather no someone first. Guess that is my barrier
Old 07-10-2012, 12:33 PM   #13
GABRIEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
...John, when are you going to get off your and get out there and ride?
I am out now because i ripped something in my knee. Doc knows what it is but when they talk i just zone out. I have some down time but am itiching to ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVirus View Post
I don't like going alone, i don't know why, rather no someone first. Guess that is my barrier
The last couple of times I went was with a guy I did not know. I know him now and am happy I got to ride his bike and they were cool people. i just needed a team to ride with since Bipolar racing was not riding again.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #14
GABRIEL

reading about all this interest in TMGP makes me want to go get some close racing in. If they let me take my KTM450SMR out there then I am ready now.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #15
TheVirus
Original OG

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2001 SV650S
2009 *Secret*

Even if its someone i dont know. Someone that i can have the potential of knowing well. Just someone period, so i am not wondering around like a chicken with its head cut off. I will do some more investigation and preparation.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #16
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

There are a number of guys who ride on endurance teams that do not have a bike and do not do sprints. Some of the endurance teams are out there just for fun and do not really care that much about being super competitive, but some are concerned with points and want to be sure that if you ride with them that you can make all of the races. If you only want to ride the races in Houston and do not want to make the Denton races, it makes it harder on them to find replacements for the denton races or they have to double up and ride longer... so if you talk to someone about doing the endurance, make sure that you know what they want and that they know what you are willing to do.
I have yet to ride any endurance races, this saturday will likely be my first, up until now I have done only sprints, but i have been asked several times already if i wanted to do the endurance with someone.. it is not uncommon for a team to be short a rider on any given race day. In fact this saturday I may be on a two man team, the third guy is not going to make it so unless Steve finds another rider between now and saturday, it may be just the two of us, and that makes pitting a little harder, but it can be done.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #17
Bagwell

Bike(s):
Various Equipment for various uses.
Dirt, Street, Track, Dual Sport, I like em all.

Quote:
I have been thinking of getting involved in this for a LONG time. I got the money could afford and have hours and hours of experience on these bikes. We often make our own tracks in Austin on my friends property and just ride time trails to get the fastest time around the track. I know i have the skill, just don't know anyone involved enough to go out there with to find someone looking for someone on their team. I don't like going alone, i don't know why, rather no someone first. Guess that is my barrier
There are a few folks from austin racing TMGP and a couple need riders i thought.

#104 I Just Wanna Ride TMGP Endurance Team
Bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #18
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

Quote:
Even if its someone i dont know. Someone that i can have the potential of knowing well. Just someone period, so i am not wondering around like a chicken with its head cut off. I will do some more investigation and preparation.
I would suggest that you come out to a race or two and get to know some of the guys... even if you do not race, just walk around the pits and talk to folks, the TMGP guys are some of the nicest folks you are going to meet, and they are always happy to talk about thier bikes, and are always encouraging to others who are interested. if there is anything i can do to make it easier for you, let me know.
The next two races are in Denton, but we will be at katy in september and october.

Last edited by obed; 07-10-2012 at 12:48 PM.
obed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #19
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagwell View Post
There are a few folks from austin racing TMGP and a couple need riders i thought.
yep there have been a couple of two man teams the last few endurance races...and some who are not endurancing but have been talking about wanting to put a team together...so i believe a ride could be had.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:49 PM   #20
GABRIEL

Quote:
Just see if anyone is looking for a rider for an endurace team, if you have your own bike and want to endurace post up and see if you can find anyone that needs a ride.
If you want to sprint, just go pit with rob, vahun, and obed.
You are making this harded than it needs to be.

Advertisement