MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2012, 11:12 PM   #21
Ares

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Z-rex ZRX1200r
Ninjette 250ex - SOLD :'|
Blondie ZX6R - SOLD :'|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
Don't get a 250 for the MPG. There are middle weights that make better commuters and get pretty darn close in fuel economy. Ninja 650, ER6N, GS500, GSX650, and FZ6 all make great commuters. You can find them barely used for not much more than the 250s.

I do like the idea of a 250 runabout. If I were to get one though, it would be the new CRF250L. LC 250 single FI dual sport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewhrsmybike View Post
This is a good suggestion
Not to mention that valve clearance adjustment on the 250 is 5k miles? (at least on the old gen) Unless you do that yourself, that's 300-500 every oil change lol.

Cons of 250s in my experience: high rpm on freeway, maintenance.

I never had "cold start" problems on my ninjette even in the winter...

Power: i like shifting through gears. Once I'm on the freeway, I'm almost always doing 70mph and will be on the powerband for passing. Otherwise, I don't mind dropping down a gear for 5 seconds lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
I got the hint and dropped to the back of the ranks just in front of Ares, who btw rocks the outta that 250.
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
250 ninja Vs cbr250 obed Taking it to the Track 9 07-31-2012 11:26 AM
ninja 250 obed General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 07-11-2012 03:00 PM
Anyone with a ninja 250 or a rebel 250 I could borrow/rent? logan5 General Discussion (Moto Related) 29 04-12-2011 12:32 PM
Ninja 250 Help RojerLockless General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 12-28-2009 10:50 PM
Anyone w/ a Ninja 250...... Slingblade92 General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 02-11-2007 07:00 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #22
proasian3

Feedback Rating: (5)

I love my CBR250! So so flickable and hey it's a Honda!
proasian3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #23
FJRmgm

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

SV-650 Suzuki - 55 to 60 mpg and you can actually ride it somewhere outside of a 20 mile commute and be comfortable.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #24
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray View Post
I'd pick CBR if for no other reason than fuel injection. Pretty much zero warm up time, with single button push to start every time.
I have an 08' Ninja 250 race bike and it is durable and I haven't had to touch the carbs yet...but the time will come. I used to have a first generation 250 and hated rebuilding carbs once or twice a year. Also have a WR250X, which is about like a CBR250 performance wise, with FI, auto warm up. I love it.

Power is night and day different, useable torque vs high end scream of the Ninjette, and fuel injection takes precedence over all else in a newb / commuter bike. If you decide not to ride it, for say 6 months or 6 years, the Ninja will laugh at you while you take it halfway apart to clean things out. The CBR will take a jump and start and ride like new. FI is the holy grail of riding vs wrenching.

Plus, as evidenced in CMRA racing, the CBR takes well to mods. Ask Gateman on this forum. His team finished 4th to our 5th at the latest CMRA endurance round on his ?modified, dunno? CBR250.

Either bike, you can buy cheap enough that you can drop it in the driveway a couple of times, put 10k miles on it, wear the tires bald, and sell it for 75% of what you paid for it.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #25
675Raisinator

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2012 Triumph 675
2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Track scooter)

cbr has no sack but its easy to ride
Old 07-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #26
4.6flash
WR250X

Feedback Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
I have an 08' Ninja 250 race bike and it is durable and I haven't had to touch the carbs yet...but the time will come. I used to have a first generation 250 and hated rebuilding carbs once or twice a year. Also have a WR250X, which is about like a CBR250 performance wise, with FI, auto warm up. I love it.

Power is night and day different, useable torque vs high end scream of the Ninjette, and fuel injection takes precedence over all else in a newb / commuter bike. If you decide not to ride it, for say 6 months or 6 years, the Ninja will laugh at you while you take it halfway apart to clean things out. The CBR will take a jump and start and ride like new. FI is the holy grail of riding vs wrenching.

Plus, as evidenced in CMRA racing, the CBR takes well to mods. Ask Gateman on this forum. His team finished 4th to our 5th at the latest CMRA endurance round on his ?modified, dunno? CBR250.

Either bike, you can buy cheap enough that you can drop it in the driveway a couple of times, put 10k miles on it, wear the tires bald, and sell it for 75% of what you paid for it.
+1, WR250x
4.6flash is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement