MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2012, 08:52 AM   #1
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

new EU tiered licensing

EU licence and testing rules are changing next year (January 19th). Getting a licence for a fast bike will take longer. The rules below are for the UK, but they'll be basically the same all through the EU.

To take full DAS (to ride any size of bike) you'll have to be at least 24. At 19 you'll be able to take a restricted form of DAS for a 47 bhp bike. At 17 the full licence will only allow you to ride a restricted 125. This probably means that nobody will bother to make high powered 125s. You will have to ride the restricted 125 for two years and take another test to ride a 47 bhp bike, unless you're 19 and do the restricted DAS for 47 bhp. You'll then have to ride the 47 bhp bike for two years then take yet another test for an unrestrictred licence.

If you're 21 now you have 6 monthhs to complete DAS under the old rules. If you have a full (restricted) licence now you'll keep your entitlement to ride a 33 bhp bike but you'll still have to take an extra test to ride anything faster after your restriction ends. I believe that after the two year restriction at each size band you'll be able to ride the next size up on L plates before you pass the test for it, but I'm not sure of that.

Nobody under 21 will be able to ride a bike of greater than 47 bhp, and nobody under 19 will be able to ride a bike with more than 15 bhp.

Also, like cars, the licence will show if you took the test on an automatic, and if you did it won't cover a geared bike, but a test taken on geared bike will cover an automatic.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Regarding Tiered Licensing in US specterunseen General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 06-30-2008 08:37 AM
tiered licensing, coming to a state near YOU! RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 30 06-23-2008 08:03 PM
Tiered system logan5 General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 11-02-2007 07:44 PM
TMGP Licensing? BlackWidow Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 4 09-06-2007 10:44 PM
Tiered Licensing, What do you think??/ Tumper General Discussion (Moto Related) 42 01-18-2007 11:43 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
Bigshankhank

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
1972 Aermacchi Sprint SX350
1972 Honda CL175 K5
1978 Kawasaki KE100
1978 Kawasaki KE250
1970 Suzuki TC90

Bring that here.
Bigshankhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #3
hotcknstrips
Bevo's royal guard.

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
09 Buell 1125CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshankhank View Post
Bring that here.
Shhh....some people will cry foul because that would infringe in their right to buy and ride the greatest and latest liter bike as a first bike, thus having an astronomical chance of wrecking it and driving insurance up for most of us.

I'd say too, bring it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Weird Lady
Mucus Membrane!
hotcknstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
brandontx

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Motards are looking even better there. 47 bhp is a lot if your bike weighs 250 lbs.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
ericlw
Banned

User is banned

ericlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #6
Hail
Middle Aged Crazy Member

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Speed Triple R
2012 DR-Z 400S

I wonder if there is any data to indicate one way or another whether this has actually reduced accidents, injuries or fatalities.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #7
cedestech

Feedback Rating: (12)

Trackdays: 10+

We've needed that here FOREVER....
cedestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
lorin70

Extend that Nanny State concept to cars.
If you are under 19, nothing bigger or more powerful than a Smartcar.
If you are under 21, nothing bigger or more powerful than a Prius or a Mini.
If you are under 24, nothing with seating for more than 4 people, like Suburbans and such.

Yeah, that would go over real well.
FZ6
lorin70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
hotcknstrips
Bevo's royal guard.

Bike(s):
09 Buell 1125CR

^^

See?

Quote:
Mucus Membrane!
Old 07-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcknstrips View Post
^^

See?
Old 07-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #11
Bigshankhank

Bike(s):
1972 Aermacchi Sprint SX350
1972 Honda CL175 K5
1978 Kawasaki KE100
1978 Kawasaki KE250
1970 Suzuki TC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorin70 View Post
Extend that Nanny State concept to cars.
If you are under 19, nothing bigger or more powerful than a Smartcar.
If you are under 21, nothing bigger or more powerful than a Prius or a Mini.
If you are under 24, nothing with seating for more than 4 people, like Suburbans and such.

Yeah, that would go over real well.
Actually, those classifications sound pretty reasonable.
The essence of the EU restricted classes is based upon horsepower as well as engine size. Something similar COULD be adapted for cars/trucks/SUVS based on power & size. How many times have any of us seen people who had no business trying to navigate a huge vehicle like a Suburban or Town Car, yet they are out on the road with everone else presenting a real danger to all. , I could put an 18 year old behind the wheel of a class A motor home with no more training than common drivers ed, how up is that?
Bigshankhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #12
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

in theory, that's a reasonable system. In reality, it would be useless here. Half these that are attracting negative attention ride dirty anyway. so a tiered system would mean as much to them as the current system...nothing.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #13
hotcknstrips
Bevo's royal guard.

Bike(s):
09 Buell 1125CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
in theory, that's a reasonable system. In reality, it would be useless here. Half these that are attracting negative attention ride dirty anyway. so a tiered system would mean as much to them as the current system...nothing.
I kinda agree, but also, there's many people that would go with the tiered system, many new riders, thus reducing the mortality rate and strain to emergency and medical services.

It would take years, but the idiots that got a too big of a bike before the system gets implemented, would either die, have serious accidents that would either keep them from riding again, or grow tired with motorcycling altogether.

Then the people that start with the tiered system would actually keep riding, getting better bikes, and their knowledge and enjoyment would follow suit, in theory producing subsequent generations of educated riders.

Quote:
Mucus Membrane!
Old 07-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #14
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
In theory, tiered moto licensing is a good idea. However, you're just as likely to get cut off and die on a 15bhp bike by a shitty driver as a 200bhp bike. I suggest making our driver's, who make up the bulk of the population, not suck before going after the bikers.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #15
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
Motards are looking even better there. 47 bhp is a lot if your bike weighs 250 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #16
cedestech

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
I wonder what they do in the UK with people riding dirty or how many ride that way compared to here?
Old 07-05-2012, 08:29 AM   #17
Rael
Communist Plant

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

I'd start with Euro style car licensing first.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #18
Skid

Bike(s):
CBR600RR

I just dug up an old post of mine from 2007. My feelings are still the same. In the end it will be just another screwed up government program that we will all have to pay for that won't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid
I am against a tiered system for more than a few reasons.

1) Units of measure.

a. Cubic Centimeters: Using a tiered system based on cc’s would be pointless. Motorcycles having the same displacement don’t always have comparable horsepower ratings. For example a Honda Shadow 600cc motorcycle put out about 39HP vs. a Honda CBR600RR putting out around 100HP.

b. Horsepower Rating: Manufactures would need to supply an honest horsepower output for all of the motorcycles. Even if they complied, this takes into no consideration for torque ratings which makes a huge difference in terms of acceleration. vtr2

c. Speed. Should all new bike riders be restricted by speed limiters? What if someone else wants to ride or if they don’t actually own the, or any, bike?

2) Time vs. Experience.

a. Time. Basing a system on the amount of time a person has been “restricted” to a unit of measure seems pointless. How will the governing body even know the rider actually rode, or even owned, the bike during the time the rider was restricted? I personally rode over 16,000 my first year. Why should another person get upgraded just because they just waited the first year out?

b. Experience. How would the governing body rate experience? Miles traveled? Hours on a motorcycle? MSF class?

3) Displacement equals Disaster Assumption. Where are the stats backing up the assumption that displacement alone will cause a newer rider to crash? Last time I checked at 250 will reach 100MPH which is fast enough for a newbie to override their experience level and plenty of people have crashed those. I would venture to guess most newbie accidents are related to most newbie mistakes: underestimating corner entry speed, target fixation to name a few.

This is just my short list and doesn’t include what I think about adding more government regulations or engine displacement taxes to the list. Cost of ownership of upgrading to multiple bikes. If we start allowing the government to tell us which bikes are too big for us we won’t be able to complain when they start telling us that motorcycles are just to dangerous for the general public. What ever happened to personal responsibility anyway? More laws won’t help the loose nut in the seat.

Skid

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

Last edited by Skid; 07-05-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #19
King Of Dirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
In theory, tiered moto licensing is a good idea. However, you're just as likely to get cut off and die on a 15bhp bike by a shitty driver as a 200bhp bike. I suggest making our driver's, who make up the bulk of the population, not suck before going after the bikers.
There is so much win in this post, it's impossible to quantify.

Know why it's a license? 'Cause it's revocable. It's not a right. We should stop treating it as such.

Last edited by King Of Dirk; 07-05-2012 at 10:35 AM.
King Of Dirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #20
cedestech

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of Dirk View Post
There is so much win in this post, it's impossible to quantify.

Know why it's a license? 'Cause it's revocable. It's not a right. We should stop treating it as such.

Advertisement