MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #21
Wawazat?!
Chuck my Norris
 
Wawazat?!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bear Creek
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 915

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'09 Aprilia RS125
'07 gixxer 750 (RIP)
'05 Honda "Fiddy"
'09 R1 (RIP)






Here ya go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wawazat?! View Post
I'm just trying to interject some reasoning into your riding before you spend money that doesn't give you the results you are looking for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_e_hurst View Post
At least next time you'll know this is the reason why I'm being a towards you.
Just don't pull a "Bautista" on me! lol

Last edited by Wawazat?!; 07-01-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Wawazat?! is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Draggin' hard parts.... dbuck Cruisers Lounge 25 10-23-2012 01:30 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #22
bluepine
Senior Member
 
bluepine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,255












J_e_hurst,

You did far better than most of us did the first td. Your bp does need improvement, but it takes a little time for it to come out naturally. Just keep practicing. Dont get too desperate to get bumped up the level. Once you get the line down, a little adjustment of the lean angle, and the bp, you wont need to change parts on your bike. And it will minimize your risk to crash. What i noticed from you that i'm more concerned about is that you dont have problem with taking the turns and do have the to lean the bike to the extreme. But your line was wrong, which is normal for the first time, so you were bringing it way lower from the wrong line. Most noobs would have fixated and gone wide. Which means that once you get the line down, you wont need to lean so much. Added to proper bp, would have been lot easier to take the same turn, and furthermore, would put you in the area of the track with most taction and least amount of debries, hence making it safer. See you on the track soon bro!
__________________
bluepine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #23
1FC
380 Racing & Paint
 
1FC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 1,901

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR






I cut my pegs twice on the Gixer, the gsxr has 3 positions check that yours are all the way back and up, I also installed a relocater for the pegs. It moves them up and back another inch, off ebay for about $20.


Another trick is to cut the tab off the clip ons so you can rotate them further out giving you more leverage.
__________________
CMRA Novice Champion with / 380 Racing & Paint / South Central Race Center / Pirelli Rubber
Motorcycles Unlimited / Houston SuperBikes /
Cycle Gear / P-1 Suspension / M-4 Products / Family and Friends
1FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #24
j_e_hurst
Josh
 
j_e_hurst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Santa Fe
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 6,251

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Back on a GSXR!!! 08 600









Thanks for the advice. Ya there are plenty of things I need to work on. The main thing I wanted to do my first trackday was have fun, which I accomplished. Next td I'll concentrate more on the finesse of everything. As far as moving up a level though, too late for that. I finished the day up in level 2(after the suggestion from my instructor and the track Marshall after I got black flagged) and it was way more fun. Back to the main topic, is dragging hard parts that uncommon then? Does it mean I'm doing something majorly wrong? Will correcting my bp fix the problem?
__________________
JoshSigpic zps240ea710
j_e_hurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #25
BaoPee
12 yr old Asian boy
 
BaoPee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Galleria
Feedback Rating: (8)
Posts: 4,614

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1











^^^you can either trim your foot pegs or get a aftermarket adjustable rearset that can be moved up...also correct bp would help too

or this might happen to you too

attachmentphp?attachmentid52708&ampd1327628760

attachmentphp?attachmentid52710&ampstc1&ampthumb1&ampd1327628774

attachmentphp?attachmentid52707&ampstc1&ampthumb1&ampd1327628760
__________________

info@halffastgroup.com
BaoPee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #26
j_e_hurst
Josh
 
j_e_hurst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Santa Fe
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 6,251

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Back on a GSXR!!! 08 600









Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FC View Post
I cut my pegs twice on the Gixer, the gsxr has 3 positions check that yours are all the way back and up, I also installed a relocater for the pegs. It moves them up and back another inch, off ebay for about $20.


Another trick is to cut the tab off the clip ons so you can rotate them further out giving you more leverage.
There's some advice I was looking for. I'll check to see if they have different positions and see which one they're in. thanks.
__________________
JoshSigpic zps240ea710
j_e_hurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #27
switch
two fifty
 
switch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,237

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 10+











save your money. upgrade the rider, before the ride.
__________________
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #28
switch
two fifty
 
switch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,237

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 10+











dammit, i missed the edit timer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_e_hurst View Post
Thanks for the advice. Ya there are plenty of things I need to work on. The main thing I wanted to do my first trackday was have fun, which I accomplished. Next td I'll concentrate more on the finesse of everything. As far as moving up a level though, too late for that. I finished the day up in level 2(after the suggestion from my instructor and the track Marshall after I got black flagged) and it was way more fun. Back to the main topic, is dragging hard parts that uncommon then? Does it mean I'm doing something majorly wrong? Will correcting my bp fix the problem?
it's not uncommon, it happens. that being said, you don't want it to happen. you'll most likely fix your issue by adjusting your BP, and more seat time. seat time, seat time, seat time. the more you ride, the more you'll improve (duh). glad you had fun your first TD, welcome to the addiction. just too add, there are plenty of super fast guys running stock and after market rear sets. user romeo36 is a CMRA expert rocks stock pegs on his gxsr, and he doesn't drag. and for comparison, user 103 has after market ones, and i've seen him drag those. different strokes for different folks.

keep on riding, don't forget to have fun.
__________________
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #29
j_e_hurst
Josh
 
j_e_hurst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Santa Fe
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 6,251

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Back on a GSXR!!! 08 600









Quote:
Originally Posted by switch View Post
dammit, i missed the edit timer.



it's not uncommon, it happens. that being said, you don't want it to happen. you'll most likely fix your issue by adjusting your BP, and more seat time. seat time, seat time, seat time. the more you ride, the more you'll improve (duh). glad you had fun your first TD, welcome to the addiction. just too add, there are plenty of super fast guys running stock and after market rear sets. user romeo36 is a CMRA expert rocks stock pegs on his gxsr, and he doesn't drag. and for comparison, user 103 has after market ones, and i've seen him drag those. different strokes for different folks.

keep on riding, don't forget to have fun.
Exactly, that's why I was asking peoples opinions. I figure after more experience I should be able to lean further so I don't want it happening again.
__________________
JoshSigpic zps240ea710
j_e_hurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #30
1FC
380 Racing & Paint
 
1FC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 1,901

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR






I worked on not dragging my toes for a whole season and could never stop, the next yr I cut a little off started doing really good then started dragging again, cut more off then started dragging the frame sliders, cut them half off and now everythings good.

If you make it out this weekend lmk ill hook you up with all the Gixer tricks.
__________________
CMRA Novice Champion with / 380 Racing & Paint / South Central Race Center / Pirelli Rubber
Motorcycles Unlimited / Houston SuperBikes /
Cycle Gear / P-1 Suspension / M-4 Products / Family and Friends
1FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #31
j_e_hurst
Josh
 
j_e_hurst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Santa Fe
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 6,251

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Back on a GSXR!!! 08 600









Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FC View Post
I worked on not dragging my toes for a whole season and could never stop, the next yr I cut a little off started doing really good then started dragging again, cut more off then started dragging the frame sliders, cut them half off and now everythings good.

If you make it out this weekend lmk ill hook you up with all the Gixer tricks.
I'll be corner working this weekend.
__________________
JoshSigpic zps240ea710
j_e_hurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #32
103
Get Some!
 
103's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 532












Make sure your pegs are at the highest setting on the gsxr
103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:35 AM   #33
obed
TMGP Pimp
 
obed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 7,271

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike






who knows what the real deal is here? all we have to go on is what is written here... and some of the things that happened do not fit well together...
you said that you got black flagged and as a result, your instructor and the track marshall suggested you move up to level 2... maybe a good thing and maybe not... depends on the reason for the black flag...
you have BP issues and were dragging hard parts... not a good thing... and a thing that will get you hurt... you are going fast... that can be a bad thing too...
they may have done you a dis-service... the grid was packed and your speed in level 1 was causing safety issues, or at least you saying you were black flagged seems to indicate that... but if your speed was eough to cause safety issues, whether it was other riders safety or yours, maybe instead of moving you up to the next level, you might should have been told to slow down some and work on the lines and BP that would stop the hard parts dragging... and then once you got that in order, speed back up...who knows, just another way of looking at it...
i am not saying this is the case for sure... but think about slowing down, getting the BP and lines down and then going faster...
me, I am slow, I just go out there to have fun and these other guys posting are a lot faster than I am, I am just thinking out loud here.
__________________
Be Free, Have Fun.... Give None, Take None
obed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #34
j_e_hurst
Josh
 
j_e_hurst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Santa Fe
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 6,251

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Back on a GSXR!!! 08 600









Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
who knows what the real deal is here? all we have to go on is what is written here... and some of the things that happened do not fit well together...
you said that you got black flagged and as a result, your instructor and the track marshall suggested you move up to level 2... maybe a good thing and maybe not... depends on the reason for the black flag...
you have BP issues and were dragging hard parts... not a good thing... and a thing that will get you hurt... you are going fast... that can be a bad thing too...
they may have done you a dis-service... the grid was packed and your speed in level 1 was causing safety issues, or at least you saying you were black flagged seems to indicate that... but if your speed was eough to cause safety issues, whether it was other riders safety or yours, maybe instead of moving you up to the next level, you might should have been told to slow down some and work on the lines and BP that would stop the hard parts dragging... and then once you got that in order, speed back up...who knows, just another way of looking at it...
i am not saying this is the case for sure... but think about slowing down, getting the BP and lines down and then going faster...
me, I am slow, I just go out there to have fun and these other guys posting are a lot faster than I am, I am just thinking out loud here.
I went out there to have fun and that's what I did. I'm sure I was making mistakes all day. I'll keep working on them as I keep going to the track. All I'm asking is what can be done about dragging pegs and such. I've had suggestions and will check to see what spot they're in, work on bp and see if the problem still persists. Thanks for the help everyone.
__________________
JoshSigpic zps240ea710
j_e_hurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #35
obed
TMGP Pimp
 
obed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 7,271

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike






yep, having fun is the reason for one going to the track to begin with, and the reason for going back....again and again...
was not slamming you at all...
I was dragging my toes for like 3 trackdays in a row... went to vortex rearsets... all the way up and all the way back... still drug my toes...
put my feet where they were supposed to be and all that went away...but the votex look cool.
The solutions that hurt our ego are usually the best and cheapest. I just did not want to think that i had duck feet.
__________________
Be Free, Have Fun.... Give None, Take None
obed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #36
QUICKGIXX
track track track
 
QUICKGIXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Spring, Tx
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 1,128

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
07 gsxr 600(race bike)
2005 ttr90(pit bike)
01 kx65 mini motard







good body position minimizes the lean angle for any given turn. less lean angle means more tire on the ground , and more traction. always keep that in mind. You will be more at risk of lowsiding using such extreme lean angles. more advance guys do it just fine but they have the experience and equipment to back it up. ( i.e. tires, suspension) by the way our bikea are identical.....lol did u take the gsxr stickers off, or did u buy it like that?
QUICKGIXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #37
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 24,295

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICKGIXX View Post
by the way our bikea are identical.....lol did u take the gsxr stickers off, or did u buy it like that?
Shame forced him to remove those stickers
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #38
j_e_hurst
Josh
 
j_e_hurst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Santa Fe
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 6,251

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Back on a GSXR!!! 08 600









Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICKGIXX View Post
good body position minimizes the lean angle for any given turn. less lean angle means more tire on the ground , and more traction. always keep that in mind. You will be more at risk of lowsiding using such extreme lean angles. more advance guys do it just fine but they have the experience and equipment to back it up. ( i.e. tires, suspension) by the way our bikea are identical.....lol did u take the gsxr stickers off, or did u buy it like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Shame forced him to remove those stickers
I bought it from a friend and he had already taken them off.
__________________
JoshSigpic zps240ea710
j_e_hurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #39
1FC
380 Racing & Paint
 
1FC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 1,901

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR






Quote:
Originally Posted by j_e_hurst View Post
I'll be corner working this weekend.


Sweet see you out there
__________________
CMRA Novice Champion with / 380 Racing & Paint / South Central Race Center / Pirelli Rubber
Motorcycles Unlimited / Houston SuperBikes /
Cycle Gear / P-1 Suspension / M-4 Products / Family and Friends
1FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #40
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 24,295

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by j_e_hurst View Post
I bought it from a friend and he had already taken them off.
Then he is a good friend for doing that for you
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy