MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2007, 11:05 PM   #41
Los
Gang Member

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'04 Yamaha R6 Edition
'14 Yamaha R6

Send a message via AIM to Los
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_M_J82
ok how about this when you learn to read. go pick a magazine and read all the specs about previous model years to current models. obviously you don't so i guess this conversation is over till then. so happy hunting for imformation. and good luck trying to make yourself look intelligent. it was a nice effort

I think what paneegro meant was that even the SS from 2000 up are still not forgiving bikes. Although technology has changed, you can't even consider a 00 R6 as a good beginner bike an that technology is way outdated.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1st bike - need suggestions customminds General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 09-17-2011 12:41 PM
1st bike need help KDEE General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 05-28-2011 02:40 PM
Just got my 1st bike 1308cc New Riders and MSF Course Info 21 05-26-2011 07:33 AM
600cc's a must 4 1st Bike NoFear General Discussion (Moto Related) 222 08-04-2007 12:07 PM
1st bike....thanks for the help RedRider General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 01-31-2006 01:28 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2007, 11:05 PM   #42
ryanx13

Feedback Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RSVR
Ryan, Ulric gave some good advice. Everyone has their own input as you have seen. Nobody is intentionally trying to put you in harms way. Here are a few key points that the board generally tries to enforce.
1. MSF
2. Proper gear
3. Start slow, forget peer pressure

Ok, so you are 245 and your girl is 140. As it was said before, you have a while to go before you should be packing. BTW, Packing means having a passenger. Pillion= passenger (usually a Euro thing). Riding "two up", self explanatory, with a passenger.
In addition to 1, 2, and 3 above, KNOW THIS; NOBODY who's opinion is worth a will ever judge you by what you ride. IF somebody gives you anything besides constructive critisism or genuine riding tips, ignore them. Most people on here are tired of the bad reputation sportbikes have. We are tired of seeing "Bad wreck tonight", "GSXR down", etc etc. We want people to learn to ride motorcycles properly. We want you to respect an SV650 or the new Kawi 650.
Look into a used Yamaha yzf600. If you can find a clean one, they are good looking bikes that will do what you need and they can be found cheap. The first bike is a tool for growth, not something to be showboating on. I know it is exciting to think about bringing your girl out on the bike, for both you and her. Trust me, you taking your time to be a steady and confident rider before you ride 2 up with your girl and it will be a wise investment. She will appreciate it a whole lot more. The amount of difference 140 lbs placed high on the back of a bike makes is significant!!! YOU DON'T WANT THAT AS A NEW RIDER. I can go on and on with stories, examples, and reasons why you shouldn't buy a new gsxr/r-6/cbr/zx 600. I don't need to. You have too many years of combined experience, both riding and in life, on this board already telling you to take it easy and buy within your means. Everyone is just trying to help, if it seems otherwise it's probably because of the guy who bought the 50th aniversary R-1 for a first bike and wrecked, pretty bad, in a week or two just a couple months back. He was really worried about having enough power too. Put pride aside, buy the "underpowered" bike everyone is suggesting, grow with it, and be a better rider for it in the end.

Sorry for any typo's, I've been drinking.

OK IM PUTTIN ALL pride aside, I have some riding experience on dirt but not much on road. I want a bike I can afford so I can make payments on it and pay it off quickly. Also Thanks for the learn to ride 1st and get a passenger on 2nd. 2ndly thanks for spellin everything out as im still learnin the lingo.....I can afford the 650R and it seems like a good bike to learn on, I like the way it feels when IM on it and the price of it is kool..........SO i should def, go with that one sounds like ya think?
Old 01-13-2007, 11:06 PM   #43
S_M_J82
Prime Time!!!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 10+

2003 kawasaki z1000

Send a message via AIM to S_M_J82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Los
I have a de-tuned bike? .. the n00bish R6!!! :BangHead:
compared to all the new models out there. yes you do. compared to the yzf600r no you don't. but take it how you want.
S_M_J82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:07 PM   #44
Los
Gang Member

Bike(s):
'04 Yamaha R6 Edition
'14 Yamaha R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric
prolly need to cut the guy some slack... I think he may be trynig to listen but may be a bit of information overload somewhat too.

He's got the bug, and we all know how evil that siren's call can be.
True... when I was first looking at bikes, I had my heart set on the most fastest, I was alll over the Busa Forums.... then I was like Woah there tiger after researching. I settled on a R6.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:10 PM   #45
Los
Gang Member

Bike(s):
'04 Yamaha R6 Edition
'14 Yamaha R6

Quote:
compared to all the new models out there. yes you do. compared to the yzf600r no you don't. but take it how you want.
So I bought my bike de-tuned is what you are saying? So my bike is actually faster from the box.... the dealership for robbing me from HP!!! :BangHead:
Old 01-13-2007, 11:12 PM   #46
ryanx13

Well thanks guys for the slack...........Yep im dyin for a bike and my girl is dyin for me to get one....at the same time man I cant afford to get hurt, Im tryin out for the CFL (canadian Football league) soon.....so wat I really want is a good first bike to learn on and something hopefully I wont kill myself on....
Old 01-13-2007, 11:18 PM   #47
paniro187

Quote:
ok how about this when you learn to read. go pick a magazine and read all the specs about previous model years to current models. obviously you don't so i guess this conversation is over till then. so happy hunting for imformation. and good luck trying to make yourself look intelligent. it was a nice effort
hmmm let's see here.............

2005 Yamaha R6 specifications
[ See related stories ]

November 3, 2004

2005 Yamaha R6 specifications:

Motor: Liquid-cooled four-stroke transverse four.
Capacity: 599cc.
Bore x stroke: 65.5 x 44.5mm.
Valvegear: DOHC with four overhead valves per cylinder.
Compression ratio: 12.4:1.
Power: 92.7kW @ 13 000rpm.
Torque: 68.5Nm @ 12 000rpm.
Induction: Suction piston type electronic fuel injection with four 40mm throttle bodies.
Ignition: Digital CDI.
Starting: Electric.
Clutch: Cable-operated multi-plate wet clutch.
Transmission: Six-speed constant-mesh gearbox with chain final drive.
Suspension: Fully adjustable 41mm inverted cartridge forks at front, monoshock adjustable for preload, compression and rebound damping at rear.
Brakes: Twin 310mm discs with Sumitomo radial-mount four-piston callipers at front, 220mm disc with single-piston floating calliper at rear.
Tyres: Front: 120/70 - ZR17 tubeless. Rear: 180/55 - ZR17 tubeless.
Wheelbase: 1385mm.
Seat height: 820mm.
Dry weight: 163kg.
Fuel capacity: 17 litres.

2006 r6s

Type
600cc, Liquid cooled, 4-stroke, forward inclined inline 4 cylinder, DOHC, 16 valves
Bore x Stroke 65.5 x 44.5mm
Compression Ratio 12.4 1
Carburetion Fuel Injection
Ignition Digital DC-CDI
Transmission 6-speed w/multi-plate clutch
Final Drive #532 O-ring chain

Chassis:
Suspension/Front
43mm telescopic fork w/adjustable preload, compression and rebound damping; 4.7 travel
Suspension/Rear Single shock w/piggyback reservoir and adjustable preload, compression and rebound damping; 4.7" travel
Brakes/Front Dual 298mm floating discs w/4-piston calipers
Brakes/Rear 220mm disc w/single-piston caliper
Tires/Front 120/70-ZR17
Tires/Rear 180/55-ZR17

Dimensions:
Length
80.5"
Width 27.1"
Height 43.5"
Seat Height 32.3"
Wheelbase 54.5"
Rake (Caster Angle) 24.5
Trail 3.7"
Fuel Capacity 4.5 gallons
Oil Capacity
(w/ oil filter change) 2.85 Qt.
Dry Weight 357 lbs.

Other:
Primary Reduction Ratio 86/44 (1.955)
Secondary Reduction Ratio 48/16 (3.000)
Gear Ratio - 1st Gear 37/13 (2.846)
Gear Ratio - 2nd Gear 37/19 (1.947)
Gear Ratio - 3rd Gear 28/18 (1.556)
Gear Ratio - 4th Gear 32/24 (1.333)
Gear Ratio - 5th Gear 25/21 (1.190)
Gear Ratio - 6th Gear 26/24 (1.083)

oh it must be the lack of inverted forks and radial brakes that makes it a novice bike. you're right they are totally diffrent bikes. :eh: same bore stroke same power. LOL

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:18 PM   #48
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Quote:
My F4i still has the same amount of HP is had back in 01... when it won the Supersport title.

Not really what you'd recommend to a noob is it?
Old 01-13-2007, 11:19 PM   #49
Gryphin
09 r1!

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
09 Yamaha R1
06 Ninja ZX-6R (RIP)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Gryphin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanx13
Well thanks guys for the slack...........Yep im dyin for a bike and my girl is dyin for me to get one....at the same time man I cant afford to get hurt, Im tryin out for the CFL (canadian Football league) soon.....so wat I really want is a good first bike to learn on and something hopefully I wont kill myself on....

as long as you take everything easy and dont try to impress anyone your first bike (650) will be a great experince! and then when you think your ready you can move on.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:20 PM   #50
Los
Gang Member

Bike(s):
'04 Yamaha R6 Edition
'14 Yamaha R6

Quote:

Good job.... you just answered your own question... atta boy... now get that 650R
Old 01-13-2007, 11:20 PM   #51
paniro187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O Chap
My F4i still has the same amount of HP is had back in 01... when it won the Supersport title.

Not really what you'd recommend to a noob is it?
yeah he would since it's a 2001 it has miraculously detuned itself.

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:22 PM   #52
Los
Gang Member

Bike(s):
'04 Yamaha R6 Edition
'14 Yamaha R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniro187
yeah he would since it's a 2001 it has miraculously detuned itself.
Well if you dont take care of that bike, it can miraculously detuned itself :confused1
Old 01-13-2007, 11:35 PM   #53
ryanx13

I went to Highlands and they offered it to me for 6100 OTD, problem is the bike had a few paint chips on it and had a really worn tire. The guys there just seemed like they really just didnt give a .......but I guess thats wat u get when you go to strictly volume dealers.....thoughts?
Old 01-13-2007, 11:46 PM   #54
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
Depending on how bad the paint chips are, forget about them. You'll more than likely end up dropping it yourself anyways. I'd try and get them to replace the tire though.

Every thing you said you didn't like about the 650R can be changed out. Also, screw the top speed. My bike will do a hair over 160, and it's never been that fast. I MIGHT have gotten it to an actual 150 once, but that was more than enough for me. This is your first bike, not your last.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:52 PM   #55
stlal
Superman

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
99 F4 Track/2004 Yami Warrior

Send a message via MSN to stlal
Quote:
I went to Highlands and they offered it to me for 6100 OTD, problem is the bike had a few paint chips on it and had a really worn tire. The guys there just seemed like they really just didnt give a .......but I guess thats wat u get when you go to strictly volume dealers.....thoughts?

Tell them to throw a tire on and youll take it. If not keep shoppin. Its a good time to buy a used bike
Old 01-13-2007, 11:55 PM   #56
ryanx13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlal
Tell them to throw a tire on and youll take it. If not keep shoppin. Its a good time to buy a used bike
Yea I could tell they were hurtin for business since its so slow since its Janurary, why else could he offer me the bike at 200 less than the 650Rs MSRP ya know?
Old 01-14-2007, 12:11 AM   #57
ryanx13

the bike only had 35 miles on the Odometer........so I dont know what to think really
Old 01-14-2007, 12:18 AM   #58
SecretAgent
The one and only

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
Quote:
HAHA again your making yourself look like an A****** . you know your right, the zzr (aka zx6r) back in it's day was one of the best race bikes out there. i dont deny that. and it's still a dominant machine by standards yes. but it's really a good beginner novice bike. it (zzr600) along with the r6-s. they are both great race bikes and were the best back a few years ago. but now times have changes and so has technology. So by today's standards they are detuned a little bit and more user friendly. so think what you want. but if you can't put up then shut up
even tho sport bikes are faster today than they were 5-10 years ago, how is someone that has never ridden a motorcycle also faster? that's the logic you're using. you're saying bikes that weren't good beginner bikes when they came out in 2000 now are, even tho they are COMPLETELY UNCHANGED FROM WHAT THEY WERE simply because the new bikes are even faster. that makes no sense. all that means is: new bikes are even harder for a new rider to learn on, than a new bike was 5 years ago.

sportbikes are already well beyond what even most experienced riders can properly handle. why on earth would you say that a sport bike is a good beginner bike?? more often than not, they're not even good experienced riders' bikes.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 01:17 AM   #59
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
Once again, great advice!!
Patrick, I can't wait to meet you!

You work Monday? I'll see if I can make the drive up.

For the record, Patrick is the most selfless motorcycle shop worker i have ever read or heard about.

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 01:26 AM   #60
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

Quote:
OK IM PUTTIN ALL pride aside, I have some riding experience on dirt but not much on road. I want a bike I can afford so I can make payments on it and pay it off quickly. Also Thanks for the learn to ride 1st and get a passenger on 2nd. 2ndly thanks for spellin everything out as im still learnin the lingo.....I can afford the 650R and it seems like a good bike to learn on, I like the way it feels when IM on it and the price of it iskool..........SO i should def, go with that one sounds like ya think?
Let me get this straight.

1. You rode it.
2. You were comfy on it.
3. EVERYONE!! told you to get it.
4. You can afford it!
and.................................
5. You have a question if you should get it??????

Ryan, get real. Please, these are not idiots that are giving you advice.
Can it get any more clear?

NOTE: NOBODY benefits if you buy the proper bike but yourself. NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON! Not a single person on this forume benefits but you. Yet here we are trying to give you pearls of wisdom. (<---- isn't that cheesey :-)

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement