MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
Longhorn87

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 BKing
Softail - sold fast
ZX10-sold
500 Interceptor-sold
way too many dirt bikes-sold

What is complete cost of Track Days?

I've been trying to get to a td to watch and see about trying it. I believe I would like it and then sell my bike for a track only bike. Streets worry me more and more plus I like to go too fast to be safe on roads. So the question I have is what does it cost to do track days? Not the fee for the day but all the other stuff. Anyone really put it on paper before? How many days on tires and how much to replace? Gear wear and tear? Bike maintenance?

Do I even want to know?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Minimum cost to start track? Daft Punk General Discussion (Moto Related) 52 03-08-2013 02:15 AM
track start up cost hoss1158 General Discussion (Moto Related) 29 09-05-2012 10:19 AM
Engine build cost for track. ivancuriel Taking it to the Track 9 01-29-2012 10:06 AM
How much would it cost to build a track Coast Rider General Discussion (Moto Related) 29 05-04-2010 05:49 PM
texas track days*ride smart*lone star track days DC_The_Boss Taking it to the Track 57 03-19-2009 10:26 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-29-2012, 11:33 PM   #2
Longhorn87

Bike(s):
08 BKing
Softail - sold fast
ZX10-sold
500 Interceptor-sold
way too many dirt bikes-sold

Found info on this by searching some, but can't figure out how to close or edit it.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

could be free, could be 50, could be 100, could be more
Old 06-29-2012, 11:54 PM   #4
Fastola
Banned

Bike(s):
06 CBR6er-street

User is banned

Last edited by Fastola; 06-29-2012 at 11:57 PM.
Fastola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:41 AM   #5
Joshua42007

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
06' GSX-R 1000

Transporting your bike to the track.

If you don't have a trailer or truck, you can rent one from U-haul.
Joshua42007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:05 AM   #6
iDreaM

Feedback Rating: (12)

Bike(s):
13 636

You prob don't even want to add it up. There's never really a set number. Depends on you. Some take chances and wreck there bikes quite often, other not so much.
The faster you get, the more expensive it is. Just go try it out at least once before you decide to just sell the bike right off hand. If you enjoy it well enough to do so, then have a blast til you become bankrupt! Haha.
Can always corner for free track time- I did that for a while. It kinda sucks, but it's the best seat in the house, and free track time..
iDreaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:23 AM   #7
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

I alaways like to inject this thought...

What if you approached track days as just riding a twisty road in more controlled conditions?
Instead of feeling like you have to push to go faster and faster, just think of the track as a cool road that goes around and around, and you're gonna ride it with some buddies that like to ride fast too.
I'm not saying, dont go fast, I'm saying find a level you are comfortable with and just enjoy the ride.
Like the others have said, it not only is more expensive to go ever faster but it also increases the chances of unfortunate things happening.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:37 AM   #8
Lucar

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post

What if you approached track days as just riding a twisty road in more controlled conditions?
Instead of feeling like you have to push to go faster and faster, just think of the track as a cool road that goes around and around, and you're gonna ride it with some buddies that like to ride fast too.
I'm not saying, dont go fast, I'm saying find a level you are comfortable with and just enjoy the ride.
Like the others have said, it not only is more expensive to go ever faster but it also increases the chances of unfortunate things happening.
Now that's great advice
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:52 AM   #9
maxgs

Member Garage

In the beginning, track days are inexpensive. Ridesmart has a program for free leather rentals for first time riders. You should be able to get your bike to the track with someone on the board, if you don't have a truck. Many people are willing to help.

Costs should be:
The track day admittance fee
Transportation fuel & one tank of gas for the bike
Hotel stay, if not near your home. Neither TWS (Texas World Speedway) nor MSRH requires a hotel if you live in Houston.
Food, water, snacks

You don't need special tires or other equipment on the bike. Tires with more than 50% tread remaining and similar wear on brakes.

You could easily do your first track day for 250.00.

As many people will attest, it's a great way to learn how to ride your bike more safely on the street. Money very well spent.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:03 AM   #10
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:

Ding ding ding ding....Bingo!

That is exactly how I approach them. There are days I may push myself due to a buddy (or five ) giving me grief, but mainly I go for fun to relax.

I'm about to be 42, I have NO chance of actually being a "fast" guy out there and I am completely cool with it. It does seem that days I do not leave work behind, I am slower. Days I am laughing in my helmet, I seem to carry a fine pace.

You may have no racing plans, but it could lead to that.

Just for grins, I am considering taking the CMRA license class over the July 7-8 TWS (Texas World Speedway) weekend. If I do, I'll respectfully keep in mind others may there to race, but even then, I'll be there for fun. Last time I did this was TMGP and we ended up with a top three finish that year.

Go do it, relax, have fun, and make yourself a better rider.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #11
Yorke

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2003 CBR954RR
1979 KZ810 Cafe Racer
2001 Ducati 996s (RIP)

"I alaways like to inject this thought...

Like the others have said, it not only is more expensive to go ever faster but it also increases the chances of unfortunate things happening."

Well Put!

Last edited by Yorke; 06-30-2012 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Because I can?
Yorke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #12
675Raisinator

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2012 Triumph 675
2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Track scooter)

This is what I am looking at after a typical trackday: Registration, gate fee, gas, tastey snacks and supplies, tires, umbrella girls, medical staff, sports psychologist, happy ending massage, bike rebuild after lowside

somewhere between a lot and a ton
Old 06-30-2012, 08:30 AM   #13
Bald 'n Gimpy
What?

Feedback Rating: (4)

Highly recommend doing one to a few TDs just to get the knowledge, practice and quality seat time. By quality, I mean no having to worry about everything you do on the street, ie. hazards, animals, cars, etc. Saying goes.. You'll learn more in 1 day at the track than you will in 6 months of street riding.

The numbers above are pretty straight on. There are ways to make it as cheap as possible, but it does get addicting, and does get more expensive the more you get into it. Don't even start on racing and how much that costs! Haha...
Bald 'n Gimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #14
Supa Dave
The Chupacabra

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
GSX-R 600
KX250 (sold)

Quote:

This guy knows what he's talking about!
Old 06-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #15
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

for me trackdays are not about going fast....they are about relaxing and doing something i enjoy with like minded folks...
i have not spent tons of money on stuff that i would only use on trackdays, but have spent some....
i would have a bike and helmet and gloves and riding jacket if i were not on the track, so i do not include the cost of the helmet in what i have spent... though i did buy a set of leathers and boots and i bought a much better set of gloves than i would have for the street...
i did upgrade my tires but did not go a full race tire, i am not that fast....and i figure i would have upgraded tires from oem tires anyway....
so i figure the true cost of trackdays for me is the trackday fee, and diesel for the truck, i do not really even count the cost of gas as i would likely be riding the bike anyway.... i would eat lunch if i were not at the track and most trackday groups include some kind of lunch in the deal... so there is just the ice and water and sportsdrink... and maybe some fruit....
all in all i figure the trackday cost me less than one ticket.
not to mention that i feel so much safer on the track... if i go down i do not have to lay on the side of the road and wait for someone to see me and call emergency services and then wait another half hour for a medic to get there....
we are blessed here in the Houston area to have tracks close by and so many trackday organizations to ride with....the benefits far out weigh the costs
Old 06-30-2012, 10:36 AM   #16
1FC
380 Racing & Paint

Bike(s):
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR

The first few months are pricey buying everything you need but after that you just load up and go, gas drinks and registration are usually about it, tires like said before every 4-5-6-7 th trackday depending on your speed.

Oil change about the same as tires, you'll need some stands and warmers, you can get both really cheap from ebay.

But the satisfaction is priceless.

Last edited by 1FC; 06-30-2012 at 10:41 AM.
1FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #17
1FC
380 Racing & Paint

Bike(s):
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR

If you have any questions please contact me id love to help get you out and introduce you everyone.
1FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #18
QUICKGIXX
track track track

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
07 gsxr 600(race bike)
2005 ttr90(pit bike)
01 kx65 mini motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
for me trackdays are not about going fast....they are about relaxing and doing something i enjoy with like minded folks...
i have not spent tons of money on stuff that i would only use on trackdays, but have spent some....
i would have a bike and helmet and gloves and riding jacket if i were not on the track, so i do not include the cost of the helmet in what i have spent... though i did buy a set of leathers and boots and i bought a much better set of gloves than i would have for the street...
i did upgrade my tires but did not go a full race tire, i am not that fast....and i figure i would have upgraded tires from oem tires anyway....
so i figure the true cost of trackdays for me is the trackday fee, and diesel for the truck, i do not really even count the cost of gas as i would likely be riding the bike anyway.... i would eat lunch if i were not at the track and most trackday groups include some kind of lunch in the deal... so there is just the ice and water and sportsdrink... and maybe some fruit....
not to mention that i feel so much safer on the track... if i go down i do not have to lay on the side of the road and wait for someone to see me and call emergency services and then wait another half hour for a medic to get there....
we are blessed here in the Houston area to have tracks close by and so many trackday organizations to ride with....the benefits far out weigh the costs
true that!! Obed when is your next TD?
QUICKGIXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #19
pumpkinHED

Trackdays: 1

if you get gear, i recommend used gear. there's lots of it either locally or on other boards like wera's. you'll save a ton of money that way. i get used stuff all the time for pennies on the dollar. many people sell stuff like new or barely used, you just have to keep your eyes open. this can make track riding much cheaper.

i also recommend a few track days before you fully commit. get the minimum, borrow what you can and see how you feel about it. gives you a better idea as to what you need and what you can do without.

most importantly, have fun.
pumpkinHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #20
Lucar

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
Here it is, couldn't be put on words in no better way, thank you obed
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement