MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
01 r1 jason
I GOTTA PEG LEG LOL

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 harley street glide
fzr600 (endurance bike)
06 gsxr 1000 (race bike)
07 X6 pocket bike
05 YAMAHA R1

Lightbulb Is the track really worth it? My thoughts on it

So i was sitting here thinking earlier today about all the times i have been on the track and what i learned and also insturcted and started thinking was it really worth it. And some of you can relate. No matter how long you have rode the track or how fast or slow you are or even how many times you crash on the track, you are never prepared for a motorcycle accident with another vehicle involved. It happens so quickly, sometimes you dont have but a second or 2 to think. But that second or 2 could save your life. It did mine, i only had a second to figure out what todo when that van pulled in front of me, so do I think going to the track all those times was worth it? Yes every bit of it, *see while it may not teach what todo if you get hit by a car. It will help you learn think quick and be fast about it safely as possible. You become a better rider all around not just when your on a spirited *back roads ride the next weekend after track. I think track is something every ride should do acouple time atleast. And also wear a belt with holes all the way around it, makes for a great turner kit if you cut a artery(sp). If it wasnt for learning what i did on the track, i may have been paralyzed *or dead instead of just losing a leg and a few fractures and stuff. Motorcycle riding is a big passion of mine and its a risk most of us on here are willing to take. The friends you meet and the tools you learn on the track *are great to have when on the street. So those of you still tossing the idea of doing a trackday, stop thinking and just do it.*

Sorry for all the pointless ramble just thought i would share my thoughts about track with you guys and gals.*
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
thoughts? USMCR1 Taking it to the Track 10 08-26-2013 08:11 AM
CL Find--Worth it for track bike? pinball General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 06-20-2012 04:39 PM
Thoughts on a new track day offering... maxgs Taking it to the Track 121 11-21-2011 01:43 PM
Can I get some thoughts about this jfly Off Topic 11 07-17-2009 11:16 PM
thoughts??? paniro187 Off Topic 2 06-14-2007 02:02 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-29-2012, 05:06 AM   #2
Yorke

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2003 CBR954RR
1979 KZ810 Cafe Racer
2001 Ducati 996s (RIP)

Sounds like your doing a lot of soul searching after a very bad accident, trying to justify all the time you spent and the passion you put into it. And your right about the friends and comradery of the sport. At my first track day, I noticed it immediately, and it was so refreshing.

It was something I had not felt since I was a young paratrooper with the 82nd Airborne. Everyone was so passionate about it, including the jump masters (instructors), there was so much attention to safety like track days.

After my first track day, street riding became significantly less desirable, and my new focus is getting back to the track. Hope your doing ok, that was a good thread.
Yorke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:14 AM   #3
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

Yea the track has taught me how to trust my breaks and stop quicker. Also whatever i tell the bike to do it will do it. I also avoided a bad accident a week ago with some dumb pulled out in front of me.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:20 AM   #4
RojerLockless
member of NO MA`AM

Feedback Rating: (10)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Honda CB919

Member Garage

I have done a couple of track days and although thoroughly enjoyable. I never felt as comfortable as I thought I would with the idea of possibly crashing and therefor always held back just a little bit.. I don't even ride much anymore on the street either... I sold my 600RR for a Honda 919 so I could just cruise and not have the random impulse to fly past people on one wheel. I had a great time at the track and I learned things that I still use even in my car let alone my bike but honestly I think I'd have a lot more fun racing a car. The Idea of crashing and potentially injuring myself turns me off too much to enjoy it as much as most people do. I guess Im just an old .

But I plan on taking my Z to the track very soon though on a side note.. Racing in Air Conditioning without a cow suit on sounds pretty awesome lol :P

RojerLockless@Motohouston.com
BRING BACK GIXXERBILL!!!
CRBsig 2

Last edited by RojerLockless; 06-29-2012 at 07:23 AM.
RojerLockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:23 AM   #5
Lucar

Member Garage

Very well related and thoughtful of you. Id dare to say that about a 70% of riders commute on their bikes, and have not the meanings nor the full gear to join a trackday, which is not a big excuse for it more than a way to get their bikes prepped, hauled back and forth
I always believe that new experiences are thaughtful for better or worse, this case better, I'd also recommend doing TDs
lots of good peeps and tools to provide a rider with what one needs the most at our hobby/passion.
I for one look forward to TDs as my time clears up and im able to attend
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
gots2no
Steve

Bike(s):
'94 Kawasaki ZX6
'78 Yamaha XS750E (sold)
'82 Yamaha Seca 750 (sold)
'82 Yamaha XT200 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01 r1 jason View Post
...Sorry for all the pointless ramble just thought i would share my thoughts about track with you guys and gals.*
I'd say you've earned the right to ramble.

I've been to a couple of track days now, and enjoy riding even more as I know what my bike is capable of with me riding it. Because of TD's, I am better about looking further ahead, especially in turns. On a SMR last weekend, a deer bolted across my path about 100' in front of me. Thanks to being alert and lack of hesitation on the deer's part, he cleared my path before I got there. Also, I don't cross center lines in curves anymore due to lack of experience/ skill.

The sheer enjoyment of a track day is great and a good value. A track day costs less than 2 hours worth of renting a wetbike, granted you have the investment in your bike and gear.
gots2no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:04 AM   #7
Lucar

Member Garage

On a SMR last weekend, a deer bolted across my path about 100' in front of me. Thanks to being alert and lack of hesitation on the deer's part, he cleared my path before I got there. Also, I don't cross center lines in curves anymore due to lack of experience/ skill.

This is called scanning and should be performed at all times in all environments, MSF also talks about it..
As to not crossing center lines how about learning to control your speed?

A TD costs less than 2 hours worth of renting a wetbike, granted you have the investment in your bike and gear.

Come on guys, shine real light on this
Old 06-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #8
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

I started doing track days about a year ago. I was "that" guy trying to go fast and lean as much as I could on the streets. Rode RR and CR like if I was going to win something, not thinking the only thing I was going to win was a ride to the hospital.

After my 1st track day it was game on! See the fact that there are no cops and other vehicles you have to worry about it was all it took for me to start Doing track day.

Some people think track days are for you to go racing.. The fact that you spend all doing what we enjoy going (Riding) with a bunch of friends and you can go as fast as you can its worth it for me .

a track day is for you to learn how to be in control of your bike in a safe and controlled environment.

Why do people crash on the street? Is it because you went too hot into a turn and didn't know what to do or how to react to the situation? Maybe..

I was involved in a motorcycle accident back in 2010 where a 91yro men pulled out in front of me (before I was doing track days) and fracture my pelvis and tail bone. I was on a wheel chair for about 2 months.

After doing 6 track days I had a lot of close calls and I was more in control of my bike. That helped me keep the shiny parts up
floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #9
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
The worst case scenario is that you learn to not tense up in an emergency situation on the street possibly saving your life.

The best case scenario is you finally figure out being ricky racer and riding like an asshat on the street really isn't any kind of test for your machine, and stop doing it.

Sounds like a win-win to me.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #10
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

the track seems well worth it

I want to do a track day in the rain on my commuter bike!
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #11
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

lol.. Actually, the last track day at TWS (Texas World Speedway) in the rain was one of the best track day with only 2 crashes. lol
Old 06-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #12
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd600 View Post
lol.. Actually, the last track day at TWS (Texas World Speedway) in the rain was one of the best track day with only 2 crashes. lol
How many riders?
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #13
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanXJ View Post
How many riders?
about 30+ level 1 and 30+ level 2.. 15 or so in level 3
Old 06-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #14
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucar View Post
On a SMR last weekend, a deer bolted across my path about 100' in front of me. Thanks to being alert and lack of hesitation on the deer's part, he cleared my path before I got there. Also, I don't cross center lines in curves anymore due to lack of experience/ skill.

This is called scanning and should be performed at all times in all environments, MSF also talks about it..
As to not crossing center lines how about learning to control your speed?

A TD costs less than 2 hours worth of renting a wetbike, granted you have the investment in your bike and gear.

Come on guys, shine real light on this
You quoted him and then you added your own and then you said the last part. Shine light on what?

Jason, this is not a ramble, it's valuable discussion and good advice. Not everyone will become a track addict bit everyone should at least experience it once for the knowledge.

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:56 AM   #15
Lucar

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanXJ View Post
the track seems well worth it

I want to do a track day in the rain on my commuter bike!
This would be awesome!
Old 06-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #16
Supa Dave
The Chupacabra

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
GSX-R 600
KX250 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd600 View Post
That was an interesting td for me... But it did show me control of my bike in the rain and also showed me the limits of the bike in the rain.

Track days have given me so much confidence in oh moments on the street and I think everybody should do at least 1. There is so much great info at a trackday classroom.

Jason, good to see u posting. How u been bud?
Old 06-29-2012, 10:15 AM   #17
Lucar

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
You quoted him and then you added your own and then you said the last part. Shine light on what?

Jason, this is not a ramble, it's valuable discussion and good advice. Not everyone will become a track addict bit everyone should at least experience it once for the knowledge.
I think you didn't read all the posts or lost track of why and what
the OP is suggesting other riders
Old 06-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #18
Bald 'n Gimpy
What?

Feedback Rating: (4)

I'll say it again, AWESOME POST Jason!!

For those that don't know, Jason didn't just barely survive his accident, he has a "lucky charm" to remind him of this for the rest of his life!!
Bald 'n Gimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #19
Lucar

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post

I think you didn't read all the posts or lost track of why and what
the OP is suggesting other riders
Old 06-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #20
Lucar

Member Garage

I don't know jason but I do know that anybody that has an accident and gets back on the bike has and my respect, tons of adversities and loved ones to go against

Advertisement