MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
md786

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2000 SV650 (Sold)

Good Pre-Med read for anybody that's interested.

I know there are some pre-med track riders in here and this link is just a good read on breaking the stereotype of a typical pre-med student. Just thought I should share it with y'all. Enjoy.

http://www.usatodayeducate.com/stagi...-the-humanties
md786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pre Ride before Katy Meet-Anyone interested? Rykoson Events, Meets and Rides 7 08-08-2012 06:02 PM
Pre med md786 Off Topic 14 06-23-2012 07:11 PM
Good Read Patrick The Circus 7 11-08-2010 02:56 PM
Anybody know of any good motorcycle mechanics near Med Center Area? stinkin General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 04-12-2009 09:38 PM
Good read Patrick General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 01-13-2006 03:04 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
sik9

It's always nice seeing someone that breaks the mold.

I don't know if this is a good thing in this case though. Non science majors ARE easier, why should they be preferred at med school admissions? Even though the article says they have the same admission rates its well known AC's prefer non science majors.

I think people with non scientific interests wanting to go to med school should major in a science and take the classes they're interested in on the side. That's what I'm doing, even though i like biochem. The fact is doing a science major helps you tremendously in some ways and the required intro science courses for med school don't help as much.

That's assuming they would get into Med school. For those unlucky bunch who don't get in and have an english or history major, things aren't looking so bright for them. I know people who chose non science majors just to be "special" but didn't think of what would happen if they don't get in.
sik9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
clayp

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2014 Brutale 800
2013 S1000rr
2006 CBR1000rr
2005 Ducati 749s
1993 CBR900rr project

as a surgeon who has been in practice for 13 years now, I would go back and take classes that were more interesting than the science classes that I took almost exclusively. The reason being is that med school sucks and the curriculum is monotonous. No reason to suffer thru the same twice
clayp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:49 PM   #4
sik9

What kind of surgeon are you? My goal is to be a neurosurgeon. Would be interesting to hear what being a surgeon is like.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:40 PM   #5
md786

Bike(s):
2000 SV650 (Sold)

There needs to be a variety of viewpoints in the medical field and different insights from non science majors to complete the circle. Taking just science classes for the sake of getting into medical school is fine (if you enjoy it), but that's just half the picture; one sided thinking can give you only one answer while a cluster of thoughts have a variety of answers. I would like to see medical schools embrace and encourage other students to pursue in their interests and major in what they like. I noticed, when talking to other pre-med students, they were really hard on themselves and others. Degrading other majors due to a non science major (taking the easy way out). As a student, I say chill out and just enjoy the ride; study unconditionally and never force yourself.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:52 PM   #6
sik9

Good point I agree with that. What I was saying is that AC's shouldn't favor non science majors. Med school is hard as to get into as it is, no need to make it harder for the science majors. What school do you go to btw?
Old 06-29-2012, 07:15 AM   #7
clayp

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2014 Brutale 800
2013 S1000rr
2006 CBR1000rr
2005 Ducati 749s
1993 CBR900rr project

Quote:
Originally Posted by sik9 View Post
What kind of surgeon are you? My goal is to be a neurosurgeon. Would be interesting to hear what being a surgeon is like.
PM sent
clayp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #8
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

You should study what fascinate you as a child growing up, not what you think will make you money. If they happen to be one of the same, then good for you.

The college years should be the most memorable and fun years of your young life. And I don't mean the frat parties and binge drinking.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #9
VFR Clown
Novice trackjunkie

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
98 Honda VFR800FI
96 Honda VFR750 (wrecked)
90 Kawa ZR550 (sold)
if the vfr dies...adv or motard

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
The college years should be the most memorable and fun years of your young life. And I don't mean the frat parties and binge drinking.
Oh, I guess I slept through the other stuff...
Old 06-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #10
md786

Bike(s):
2000 SV650 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sik9 View Post
Good point I agree with that. What I was saying is that AC's shouldn't favor non science majors. Med school is hard as to get into as it is, no need to make it harder for the science majors. What school do you go to btw?
Exactly, BS or no BS; look at the student as a whole and put less influensing decisions on majors. I am attending UH. How about yourself?
Old 06-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #11
rideForrestride

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
'08 ZX10R - The Mistress

Here's another good one: medschoolhell.com
rideForrestride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #12
md786

Bike(s):
2000 SV650 (Sold)

Valuable Forum: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/
Old 06-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #13
md786

Bike(s):
2000 SV650 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideForrestride View Post
Here's another good one: medschoolhell.com
I used to follow that site, but it's been a bit dead. Still helpful. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #14
bob_1

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000

The curriculum to get all prerequisites for med school was very bland to me. I ended up getting my psychology degree first and finishing up my biology degree the next semester. I hope this improves my odds, psychology was the only reason I would actually go to my classes.

I've got lots of parts
bob_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:52 PM   #15
Snarky
Eisen-Schwein!

Bike(s):
'12 R1200 GS ADV
'09 Versys
'01 XT 225 (sold) :(

Member Garage

Most of the you learn in undergrad, BS or no BS, has absolutely no bearing on being a doctor. Yes you need to be able to use science, but most of it doesn't really apply. Most everything you need to know to be a doctor, they will teach you in med school in grueling detail, most of which you also don't need to know to be a doctor either. The prereqs and admissions process are just to try to make sure you're smart enough to 'get it' if you get in. There are still a lot of idiots that make it into med school because they test well, or fake smart in the interview. It's really a craps shoot on who gets in.

My fiance is a med student in El Paso (which is good enough to not be on probation, like UTSA med school in San Antonio), and she graduated with a BA in International Relations.

The reason they like humanities students is because they have more experience thinking critically and doing research (and I'm a science major saying this), plus they still have to satisfying the prereq requirements AND do well enough on the MCAT, instead of being forced into it by a default degree plan.

However, if you REALLY want to impress med schools and get interviews: be an engineer. Chemical Engineers with at least a 3.0 gpa usually have no problems getting interviews, and assuming they did well on the MCAT and dont come off like an ignorant psychopath in the interview, get their pick of the litter. However, if you were a smart ChemE, you would probably be better served at a chemical plant; you would make much more money in the short term with just a BS than a doctor going to school for 7+ more year (residency pays ).

Who is to say that if you don't get into med school with an English degree that, that degree is more worthless than a Biology or Chemistry degree? Either way you might as well take the GRE and go for that master's or PhD especially in this economy.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:20 AM   #16
sik9

Quote:
Originally Posted by md786 View Post
Exactly, BS or no BS; look at the student as a whole and put less influensing decisions on majors. I am attending UH. How about yourself?
UH as well.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:15 PM   #17
md786

Bike(s):
2000 SV650 (Sold)

Go Cougars! . I didn't get to volunteer as much so far, but if you need some help with your search in regards to volunteering, I will be more than happy to direct you to some places. I am also looking for some shadowing opportunities, so when I get the gig I will pass down the information.

Advertisement