MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Events, Meets and Rides
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #341
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish View Post
For what it's worth, I and I know some others, had already left the house before you decided to cancel. And rain doesn't bother me, I would have just kept riding but no one else wanted to. Pansies. (I can understand why some noobs might not want to, rain was scary for me for a while)

Now about the ride in general, I will say that it was unclear as to if there were 2 groups or 3 groups or what-have-you. During the rider's meeting we talked about 3 groups, then all of a sudden after the meeting, it became one big group. Then I could see that Longdraw was aggravated and knew that wouldn't work (I agreed), so we talked to Lucar and said there should really be 2 groups.... it's just too many people. He agreed as well after that, but I'm not sure the message got relayed to really anyone else... Everyone took off in one big group. I suppose the plan could have been to move people around as we were riding, but it was pretty unorganized as far as how many groups there were and who was a n00b, etc.

As far as the mishap, we went into the turn at an indicated 70mph. He was right behind me. It wasn't fast, but it wasn't n00b pace... I believe that us up front were under the impression that we had 2 groups, when in reality that may not have been the case.

Secondly, if you look at the pictures, you can see that he did not go off at the apex, he ran wide before that. Not that it makes a difference, just trying to get the facts correct.

Speaking of facts, let's also clear up that it wasn't raining. It wasn't slick. I believe he just second guessed himself maybe after day dreaming of pie going down those long straights and went wide... Blame it on the pie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid View Post
I'll give an observation, not only as a Noob to sport riding, but also as someone new to the group - not about post analysis of the accident, but just my experience as a new rider with MotoHouston.

Please note my thoughts are NOT a complaint.

I'm just going to describe what was going through my mind, and compare it to my previous experience(s).

The pace we were going on 290 was way faster than I expected, especially with so many bikes. That's my problem, as I'll explain, and not a knock on anyone in this group.

We all know the "accordion" effect that happens as a lead bike(s) speeds rise and fall to deal with traffic. This accordion affect can, and does, amplify the actions towards the back of the group.

At one time I looked down and saw I was up to 97 mph, as I was trying to "tighten" back up after an accordion moment.

Don't get me wrong, I've been at, or near, triple digits many times, but usually not in formation.

In the past, especially on straight stretches of highway riding, the lead bike limits themselves to the posted SL, or 5 miles over - only because of the amplified affect on the middle-to-rear riders in the line. This limits the excessive speeds those folks in back are likely to need to keep a nice safe group.

I'll admit this got in my head, much like compounding stressors can get in your head when you SCUBA dive. Once one thing happens, it seems other normally overlooked things start to compound and create a more white knuckle effect, this creates a form of self-preservation.

This self preservation I'm talking about shows up as your mind as trying to work out other options besides staying in line and continue to heap stress on yourself.

My compounding stressors were, first, looking down and seeing 97 on my speedo, then realizing my owners manual said stay below 4000 rpms until 500 miles and then below 6000 rpms (it's a new bike, I didn't want to break it right out of the box).

Then add in strong side winds, and cages who didn't want to back off, and let the bikes move on through. One truck driver seemed to have a " you, it's my highway too" attitude, which is fine ... usually.

Oh, and add in, I'm new here and I didn't want to get tagged with any other reputation other than ... he's seems like a nice guy.

Sure, all of these events are minor (even laughable) when separated as individual elements, but the compound affect on the mind can become like a paint-can ball bearing rattling around in your head.

Once we hit the smaller highway, I relaxed knowing we were going to go single file, and knew I wouldn't put pressure on myself to keep up with the guy in front of me.

From experience, I know if the guy behind me feels held back, he'll just pass and fill the gap in front of me. If I end up as the second to last bike, then so be it. I'm not saying that's what would have happened, but knowing these options were available to me, let me relax and start looking forward to leaning the bike in curves. I hadn't yet noticed the darm ominous cloud ahead of us.

Of course, once I saw those clouds new compound stressors were likely to start forming. It's just the nature of being human and choosing hobbies that create life and death possibilities higher than just crawling out of bed.

As I said early on, I'm not complaining a bit.

Take my words as a reminder of what it was like when you first joined this group and started going on multiple bike rides.

Maybe no one gets thoughts like I do, being alpha males/females we don't tend to sit around and talk about what scares us.

And lord knows on the internet many of us are much braver (and more skillful) than when the stress of high speed and real danger are right in our face.

And yet, it's all this skill vs. danger that keeps me coming back for more, whether it's 2-wheels, mountain or rock climbing, or scuba diving. Despite my skill set or experience (or lack of it), part of me likes operating in the world a little bit scared to death, at the very same time I am scared of death - scared of a slow and painful one anyway.

I'll get more comfortable in time ... in the meantime, I'm still having the time of my life.
Man, actually had a thread that was supposed to describe how to best title a ride post to prevent stuff like this from happening.

I'm glad you are good Lucky and looks like you can make a nice street fighter.

Hesitation is a , glad it wasn't worse.

It's hard to lead rides, setting the tone on the thread for the ride is key though. If it's noob friendly keep it like that, even in the straights, if you have decided that it will be moderate to spirited, make sure you say that and set the expectations so noobs won't show.

In the rider's meeting, ask again the time riding and comfortability of the rider.

Once out riding, make sure to look back after clearing turns to see how the pack is and if anyone is not at fast as they said. Check with the sweeper to tell you, after that either ask the person to leave the ride or adjust your speed to them accordingly.

I know that wasn't the case here or maybe from a bit of what I read.

Be safe out there kiddos.

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
W Saturday Morning Ride " IN" Ride 12/01/2012 (Noob Friendly) NewRider Events, Meets and Rides 193 12-05-2012 09:38 AM
** - Last minute ride to RR "not noob friendly" Lucar Events, Meets and Rides 5 07-03-2012 09:27 AM
W Sunday EARLY Morning Breakfast Ride 10/23/2011 (could be Noob friendly) NewRider Events, Meets and Rides 17 10-23-2011 01:02 PM
W Sunday EARLY Morning Breakfast Ride 9/25/2011 (could be Noob friendly) NewRider Events, Meets and Rides 248 09-29-2011 11:29 AM
W Sunday EARLY Morning Breakfast Ride 08/28 (could be Noob friendly) NewRider Events, Meets and Rides 130 09-04-2011 03:43 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #342
queenmoka
BORC O.G!!!!!!

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Aprilliiaaaaaaa RSV4R
S1000RR...BORC owned!
The Ninja.....

Member Garage

Cool

Can someone tell me what was supposed to be the route on our group ride yesterday to yankees?.....Would like to go and check it out again but never did the ride myself.
Thanks
queenmoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #343
burnboy
upliftmofopartyplan

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 kawi z 1000

Well, Cali has a new girlfriend. Can't expect he would be around to lead the news every ride.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #344
Lucar

Experience: 10+ years

Member Garage

Here youI go mr. Noobrider, i guess we all justhave have to learn to read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucar View Post
heads up, there is a big storm heading our way

http://www.weather.com/weather/map/i...+USTX0617:1:US

for the safety of all riders, the helpers and myself have decided to cancel the ride, we truly appreciate y'alls effort to make this morning, I will still ride to the meet and wave off any participants that may not get this notice.

this really blows, I was looking forward to pie!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
Man, actually had a thread that was supposed to describe how to best title a ride post to prevent stuff like this from happening.

I'm glad you are good Lucky and looks like you can make a nice street fighter.

Hesitation is a , glad it wasn't worse.

It's hard to lead rides, setting the tone on the thread for the ride is key though. If it's noob friendly keep it like that, even in the straights, if you have decided that it will be moderate to spirited, make sure you say that and set the expectations so noobs won't show.

In the rider's meeting, ask again the time riding and comfortability of the rider.

Once out riding, make sure to look back after clearing turns to see how the pack is and if anyone is not at fast as they said. Check with the sweeper to tell you, after that either ask the person to leave the ride or adjust your speed to them accordingly.

I know that wasn't the case here or maybe from a bit of what I read.

Be safe out there kiddos.
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #345
NewRider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnboy View Post
Well, Cali has a new girlfriend. Can't expect he would be around to lead the news every ride.
As soon as I can get my bike street able, I'll do some rides for the noobs.

This is how the thread was put together.
http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=214790

HALFFAST GROUP
Old 07-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #346
NewRider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Here youI go mr. Noobrider, i guess we all justhave have to learn to read
Hey bro, don't get mad, leading rides is trial and error...

With that said, if your ride was cancelled, why did it still happen. You should have kept it cancelled.

I did read...

HALFFAST GROUP
Old 07-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #347
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

The basic issue comes down to posting "noob friendly" rides, then doing 10-20+ over the SL into turns.

Unless you have dedicated leaders/sweepers and distinct seperate groups, there is no way to control this.

By the sounds of it, no one made sure of which riders were where, and assumed everyone was "riding their own ride"... which never ends well.

Part of the joys of setting up and leading group rides.. it ain't as easy as it looks.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #348
OldSchool

Bike(s):
yamaha
honda
can am
sears allstate
Wal-Mart 10 speed

There were definitely alot of new faces out there. Too bad we didnt get the opporrunity to do thw route becuase it may be the best route in greater houston. Say lets do it again. I know some people cried that theyll never group ride again, but if it wasnt raining the group wouldve went on.

Trish in thw rain on a 45 mph sweeper, how fast you gonna take it?
OldSchool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #349
Trish

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2008 CBR600rr
2006 DRZ400SM

This ride started as a NON N00b ride, then with more interest, it turned into a n00b ride, so it seems the disorganization was there from the get-go.

Lucar was just trying to please everyone I think, and that's just not possible...

I've got an idea for a n00b ride with 2 groups. I'm going to talk to the necessary people and get it together.
Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #350
Trish

Bike(s):
2008 CBR600rr
2006 DRZ400SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
Trish in thw rain on a 45 mph sweeper, how fast you gonna take it?
Too many factors. How long has it been raining? How hard? How are my tires? etc....

I would go by feel and taking into consideration the above given conditions.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #351
NewRider

Bike(s):

Quote:
This ride started as a NON N00b ride, then with more interest, it turned into a n00b ride, so it seems the disorganization was there from the get-go.

Lucar was just trying to please everyone I think, and that's just not possible...

I've got an idea for a n00b ride with 2 groups. I'm going to talk to the necessary people and get it together.
From experience it should be either noob or not noob, 2 group thing is also potentially bad. You might have someone thinking they are faster than they are and join the second.

It's best to just keep it strictly noob if it's a noob ride.

My .02

When it comes to rides, you can't please everyone, ever lok

HALFFAST GROUP
Old 07-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #352
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

For anyone trying to blame ride organizers, just sayin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyxdevil1 View Post
Ya. I'm ready for a faster pace, so if we split groups, going with y'all. If ya don't mind.

From luckyxdevil1's phone using, my phone.
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #353
NewRider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
I love you Bevo.

We all know it's your fault.

HALFFAST GROUP
Old 07-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #354
Lucar

Member Garage

Quote:
Thank you for digging that out, but I agree with new rider, either noob ir non noob, a ride can't be for both, period
Old 07-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #355
luckyxdevil1

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR-750 '02
69' Yamaha 650 back in the day

Send a message via Yahoo to luckyxdevil1
Quote:
I'm not blaming anyone.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #356
Lucar

Member Garage

Gotta love MH

Squid, make these mofos do some push ups
Old 07-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #357
Trish

Bike(s):
2008 CBR600rr
2006 DRZ400SM

Quote:
Thank you for digging that out, but I agree with new rider, either noob ir non noob, a ride can't be for both, period
My thought was (and I'm open to opinions of course):

Basically 2 separate rides going the same route and stopping at the same places.

1 group of faster paced people and one group of n00bs. The groups would leave 15 mins apart of each other, but would still get to have lunch together, etc...

That way people don't feel left out of a certain ride, etc.. and you still get to talk to everyone.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #358
luckyxdevil1

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR-750 '02
69' Yamaha 650 back in the day

Send a message via Yahoo to luckyxdevil1
Quote:
Maybe not as ready as I may have thought.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #359
Lucar

Member Garage

Quote:
My thought was (and I'm open to opinions of course):

Basically 2 separate rides going the same route and stopping at the same places.

1 group of faster paced people and one group of n00bs. The groups would leave 15 mins apart of each other, but would still get to have lunch together, etc...

That way people don't feel left out of a certain ride, etc.. and you still get to talk to everyone.
This is good salsa.. however I think the 2 rides should meet at a different location..
is easy for anybody to say I want to ride faster and walk over to the faster group or get convinced by another rider to join the faster guys
Old 07-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #360
Trish

Bike(s):
2008 CBR600rr
2006 DRZ400SM

Quote:
This is good salsa.. however I think the 2 rides should meet at a different location..
is easy for anybody to say I want to ride faster and walk over to the faster group or get convinced by another rider to join the faster guys
Unfortunately that's for them to learn the hard way I guess. We can't police everyone. Who's to say they won't show up for the other ride then anyway?

People need to learn to be responsible for themselves.

I wish there was a way for "check out rides." Squid will know because he's a fellow diver, but some SCUBA diving operations (especially where there can be adverse conditions) make you do a check out dive to basically prove that you have the skills you claimed.

Advertisement