Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Events, Meets and Rides
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 08:50 AM   #321
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldaten View Post
You're probably right, but I still get the "Pucker Factor" when I going around this or any blind corner and Joe Bob Billy, in his 1 ton dually pulling a horse trailer, is barrelling around the same corner, going the opposite way at 80 MPH!
That's why I focus on the tire path just to the right of the center stripes as far ahead as I can.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
W Saturday Morning Ride " IN" Ride 12/01/2012 (Noob Friendly) NewRider Events, Meets and Rides 193 12-05-2012 09:38 AM
** - Last minute ride to RR "not noob friendly" Lucar Events, Meets and Rides 5 07-03-2012 09:27 AM
W Sunday EARLY Morning Breakfast Ride 10/23/2011 (could be Noob friendly) NewRider Events, Meets and Rides 17 10-23-2011 01:02 PM
W Sunday EARLY Morning Breakfast Ride 9/25/2011 (could be Noob friendly) NewRider Events, Meets and Rides 248 09-29-2011 11:29 AM
W Sunday EARLY Morning Breakfast Ride 08/28 (could be Noob friendly) NewRider Events, Meets and Rides 130 09-04-2011 03:43 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #322
Lucar

Member Garage

I'm just glad it wasn't worst than the bike.. Glad everyone is ok, and we're here for lucky, if you ever wanna ride with us again, I think you can always do 2up with Tmax
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #323
Soldaten

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2010 BMW F800 ST
YZ250 (sold)
BMW E30 Race Car
LeMons Race Car (burned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
That's why I focus on the tire path just to the right of the center stripes as far ahead as I can.
You've also got a point about the Noobs (of which I'm one) pushing too hard on the group rides. I've noticed it before, on the few group ride I've been on, that I'm a little out of my comfort zone in corners.

Call it peer pressure or what, but group rides must do that to some degree!

...and to reply to this particular corner, I try to set & maintain my speed prior to leaning in. I concentrate on counter steering to hit the apex and return upright a few inches from the outer line of the road, once I'm through the corner. It may not be right, but it works for me. I also try to look through the turn as much as possible and not immediately ahead of the front tire.

Last edited by Soldaten; 07-02-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Soldaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #324
Lucar

Member Garage

plain and simple.. ride was cancelled at 7:13 am on post #192, meet was at 8 am
people that checked and stayed home got the point, and then I rode to the meet spot to let everyone that did not check the forum that morning know we had agreed to cancel.
but then... the thought of pie.. and we didn't even aim for the freaking pie!
I know some one got a pie on that ride
Old 07-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #325
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
www.shortfilmproductions.org
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street

Member Garage

Pie in the eye?
STREET SCHOLARS PRODUCTIONS-Hookit
Rykoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #326
Lucar

Member Garage

... yes I did..mmhhhp, mhp! I mean, some one did when he got home
Old 07-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #327
Trish

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 CBR600rr
2006 DRZ400SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
Was that you headed North on Beltway 8 this morning around 7:30am?
Yep, silver cbr?
Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:40 AM   #328
Lucar

Member Garage

**--** Sunday Morning Ride "NOOB FRIENDLY"

Old 07-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #329
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
08 Ninja250 BRAWP bike (For Sale)
08 Ninja250 Racebike(Sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucar View Post

Bummer.. Time to get naked...

Motorcycles are like women... once you ride one... you wanna ride em all.
Thayleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #330
Trish

Bike(s):
2008 CBR600rr
2006 DRZ400SM

Quote:
plain and simple.. ride was cancelled at 7:13 am on post #192, meet was at 8 am
people that checked and stayed home got the point, and then I rode to the meet spot to let everyone that did not check the forum that morning know we had agreed to cancel.
For what it's worth, I and I know some others, had already left the house before you decided to cancel. And rain doesn't bother me, I would have just kept riding but no one else wanted to. Pansies. (I can understand why some noobs might not want to, rain was scary for me for a while)

Now about the ride in general, I will say that it was unclear as to if there were 2 groups or 3 groups or what-have-you. During the rider's meeting we talked about 3 groups, then all of a sudden after the meeting, it became one big group. Then I could see that Longdraw was aggravated and knew that wouldn't work (I agreed), so we talked to Lucar and said there should really be 2 groups.... it's just too many people. He agreed as well after that, but I'm not sure the message got relayed to really anyone else... Everyone took off in one big group. I suppose the plan could have been to move people around as we were riding, but it was pretty unorganized as far as how many groups there were and who was a n00b, etc.

As far as the mishap, we went into the turn at an indicated 70mph. He was right behind me. It wasn't fast, but it wasn't n00b pace... I believe that us up front were under the impression that we had 2 groups, when in reality that may not have been the case.

Secondly, if you look at the pictures, you can see that he did not go off at the apex, he ran wide before that. Not that it makes a difference, just trying to get the facts correct.

Speaking of facts, let's also clear up that it wasn't raining. It wasn't slick. I believe he just second guessed himself maybe after day dreaming of pie going down those long straights and went wide... Blame it on the pie.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:59 AM   #331
luckyxdevil1

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
GSXR-750 '02
69' Yamaha 650 back in the day

Send a message via Yahoo to luckyxdevil1
Man. Great guys and gals you all are. Hope y'all picked up my Leds too. I know there was plottin goin on about who gets em first to use. LOL.
Well after reading all and looking back and trying to remember my thoughts which is coming back more. Everything that has been said I believe is pretty much the case to some extent. I didn't think that was a sharp corner. Wasn't to familiar with it so I was studying the bikes line in front of me, but while I was focusing on that I wasn't focusing on other things like proper speed before the turn. Have been anxious about going around so probably over emphasized. But everyone familiar with that spot and commented I pretty much agree with. Thanks for shedding light on a few things guys. Can't wait to ride with y'all again. Ryan don't forget to give my Led's back I you got em on your truck somewhere.lol. Just kidding. now y'all get back to work.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #332
luckyxdevil1

Bike(s):
GSXR-750 '02

Again, another I agree with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish View Post
For what it's worth, I and I know some others, had already left the house before you decided to cancel. And rain doesn't bother me, I would have just kept riding but no one else wanted to. Pansies. (I can understand why some noobs might not want to, rain was scary for me for a while)

Now about the ride in general, I will say that it was unclear as to if there were 2 groups or 3 groups or what-have-you. During the rider's meeting we talked about 3 groups, then all of a sudden after the meeting, it became one big group. Then I could see that Longdraw was aggravated and knew that wouldn't work (I agreed), so we talked to Lucar and said there should really be 2 groups.... it's just too many people. He agreed as well after that, but I'm not sure the message got relayed to really anyone else... Everyone took off in one big group. I suppose the plan could have been to move people around as we were riding, but it was pretty unorganized as far as how many groups there were and who was a n00b, etc.

As far as the mishap, we went into the turn at an indicated 70mph. He was right behind me. It wasn't fast, but it wasn't n00b pace... I believe that us up front were under the impression that we had 2 groups, when in reality that may not have been the case.

Secondly, if you look at the pictures, you can see that he did not go off at the apex, he ran wide before that. Not that it makes a difference, just trying to get the facts correct.

Speaking of facts, let's also clear up that it wasn't raining. It wasn't slick. I believe he just second guessed himself maybe after day dreaming of pie going down those long straights and went wide... Blame it on the pie.
Thanks for this, I believe you are right in all aspects. I do feel I went wide as well(pics kinda show that) I did second guess myself. Thanks Trish
Old 07-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #333
jimrad
Moderate pace forever .

Trackdays: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
Exact same spot as Roachie from almost a year ago.
Jim, Colin, I'm sure you guys remember this.
http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=194315

yeah,,i remember...thats the 3rd rider i seen go down in the same corner...
Old 07-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #334
Trish

Bike(s):
2008 CBR600rr
2006 DRZ400SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyxdevil1 View Post
Thanks for this, I believe you are right in all aspects. I do feel I went wide as well(pics kinda show that) I did second guess myself. Thanks Trish
No problem. I think the best thing you can do obviously, is learn from it.

I've been in that same situation before, in a turn where you second guess yourself... I'm sure everyone has gotten that feeling before. I've just been lucky enough to lean it over more and make it through. You win some, you lose some.

Can't wait to see you back out there!
Old 07-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #335
Squid
A Real Squid - USN 91-99

Bike(s):
2005 Harley Softail Deluxe
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650

Send a message via Yahoo to Squid
I'll give an observation, not only as a Noob to sport riding, but also as someone new to the group - not about post analysis of the accident, but just my experience as a new rider with MotoHouston.

Please note my thoughts are NOT a complaint.

I'm just going to describe what was going through my mind, and compare it to my previous experience(s).

The pace we were going on 290 was way faster than I expected, especially with so many bikes. That's my problem, as I'll explain, and not a knock on anyone in this group.

We all know the "accordion" effect that happens as a lead bike(s) speeds rise and fall to deal with traffic. This accordion affect can, and does, amplify the actions towards the back of the group.

At one time I looked down and saw I was up to 97 mph, as I was trying to "tighten" back up after an accordion moment.

Don't get me wrong, I've been at, or near, triple digits many times, but usually not in formation.

In the past, especially on straight stretches of highway riding, the lead bike limits themselves to the posted SL, or 5 miles over - only because of the amplified affect on the middle-to-rear riders in the line. This limits the excessive speeds those folks in back are likely to need to keep a nice safe group.

I'll admit this got in my head, much like compounding stressors can get in your head when you SCUBA dive. Once one thing happens, it seems other normally overlooked things start to compound and create a more white knuckle effect, this creates a form of self-preservation.

This self preservation I'm talking about shows up as your mind as trying to work out other options besides staying in line and continue to heap stress on yourself.

My compounding stressors were, first, looking down and seeing 97 on my speedo, then realizing my owners manual said stay below 4000 rpms until 500 miles and then below 6000 rpms (it's a new bike, I didn't want to break it right out of the box).

Then add in strong side winds, and cages who didn't want to back off, and let the bikes move on through. One truck driver seemed to have a " you, it's my highway too" attitude, which is fine ... usually.

Oh, and add in, I'm new here and I didn't want to get tagged with any other reputation other than ... he's seems like a nice guy.

Sure, all of these events are minor (even laughable) when separated as individual elements, but the compound affect on the mind can become like a paint-can ball bearing rattling around in your head.

Once we hit the smaller highway, I relaxed knowing we were going to go single file, and knew I wouldn't put pressure on myself to keep up with the guy in front of me.

From experience, I know if the guy behind me feels held back, he'll just pass and fill the gap in front of me. If I end up as the second to last bike, then so be it. I'm not saying that's what would have happened, but knowing these options were available to me, let me relax and start looking forward to leaning the bike in curves. I hadn't yet noticed the darm ominous cloud ahead of us.

Of course, once I saw those clouds new compound stressors were likely to start forming. It's just the nature of being human and choosing hobbies that create life and death possibilities higher than just crawling out of bed.

As I said early on, I'm not complaining a bit.

Take my words as a reminder of what it was like when you first joined this group and started going on multiple bike rides.

Maybe no one gets thoughts like I do, being alpha males/females we don't tend to sit around and talk about what scares us.

And lord knows on the internet many of us are much braver (and more skillful) than when the stress of high speed and real danger are right in our face.

And yet, it's all this skill vs. danger that keeps me coming back for more, whether it's 2-wheels, mountain or rock climbing, or scuba diving. Despite my skill set or experience (or lack of it), part of me likes operating in the world a little bit scared to death, at the very same time I am scared of death - scared of a slow and painful one anyway.

I'll get more comfortable in time ... in the meantime, I'm still having the time of my life.

Last edited by Squid; 07-02-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #336
Tisboihur

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2011 Kawa ZX6R

Cool

Quote:

Maaan I wasn't captured in any of those photos .... *sigh* negatives of being short ...... Stupid big bike lol
Tisboihur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #337
jimrad
Moderate pace forever .

Trackdays: 7

Hey lucky...i stuck your speaker on the gas tank....Wonder if the magnet from the speaker pulled u toward the poles.....

I have made errors ...stupid errors...when I am not all "there".. maybe because I was too tired, hungry, weak coffee, stressed, thinking deep about something...Or checking out some fine azz..just lack of complete focus for a second at the wrong time can be a world of trouble...
Old 07-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #338
luckyxdevil1

Bike(s):
GSXR-750 '02

lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrad View Post
Hey lucky...i stuck your speaker on the gas tank....Wonder if the magnet from the speaker pulled u toward the poles.....

I have made errors ...stupid errors...when I am not all "there".. maybe because I was too tired, hungry, weak coffee, stressed, thinking deep about something...Or checking out some fine azz..just lack of complete focus for a second at the wrong time can be a world of trouble...
i 2nd that
Old 07-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #339
Squid
A Real Squid - USN 91-99

Bike(s):
2005 Harley Softail Deluxe
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650

Send a message via Yahoo to Squid
Quote:
And rain doesn't bother me, I would have just kept riding but no one else wanted to. Pansies.
Trish ... let the record show, my new riding pants on order feature the following attribute:

600 Denier High Performance Breathable Waterproof Laminated Fabric.

Thus greatly reducing my "pansy" factor.

Last edited by Squid; 07-02-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #340
Lucar

Member Garage

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyxdevil1 View Post
i 2nd that
Lol..