MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #21
J.J. McQuade
DORC MEMBER

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ducati Multi-Strada 1100S
1993 Ducati 900SS (Designated Sweeper)
Acura NSX-T Type R

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cethridge View Post
Pay the balance off now, trasfer it to your credit card if you have to. Then sell the bike and pay off the card.

If not, then take the bike and the buyer to a Dealer, Car dealer, or Bike dealer, they will do the whole transaction for you and only cost a couple hundred bucks. Done that twice on both sides. It is the only way I will buy a bike from a stranger that does not have the title in hand and owes a balance.
I think it's worth a few hundred books to have my dealer handle all the paperwork! Good info.
J.J. McQuade is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The making of a Stunt bike ScooterTrash Stunters Lounge 17 09-19-2010 01:19 PM
anyone gotten their bike stolen while still makin payments? greaselightnin Moto Insurance 13 06-04-2010 03:11 PM
Payments on a Bike (testing the water) specterunseen General Discussion (Moto Related) 34 02-09-2009 09:47 PM
track while still making payments??? skmart2 Taking it to the Track 25 07-21-2008 12:23 PM
Making your own bike chain/lock Waerloga General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 03-18-2008 09:53 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #22
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
I've sold many vehicles that I still owe on. Banks are prepared for this, its not a problem. However, as has been noted there's 3 possible scenarios encompassed under the term "selling."

1. Selling a bike you owe less than the sale price.

In this scenario, the buyer cuts a check to your bank for the full amount, and the bank cuts you a check for the amount paid over the loan balance. Easy breezy.

2. Selling a bike you owe more than the sale price.

buyer cuts a check to the bank, you cut a check to the bank. Eveyone is happy.

3. taking over payments

immensely bad idea, technically againts your contract with your bank. DO NOT DO THIS.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #23
jimmy the gent
wich u gon do?

Experience: 7 years

I would only do it under these conditions :

1) You are doing a buy off (not taking over payments). Never make payments on something some else owns.

2) Get the notorized bill of sale and photocopy of ID.

3) With help of seller, contact the finance company and get the payoff terms and conditions. You can also arrange to have the title sent to you once funds clear (instead of the seller) though will still need to get the seller to sign it and texas title application so you can transfer. But at least holding the title, bill of sale and a clear bike you will have leverage and recourse. For payoff, use a cashiers check written directly to the finance company. Never give the individual money because there is no promise they may pay off loan. And of course, make sure the finance company is legit. Though I can't see someone going through all that trouble to setup a fake front. Usually a scammer will try to get you to give them the funds directly.

If they finance locally (through a credit union) go with them and get the title immediately upon exchange of funds.

And to add: I have contacted finance companies on vehicles / bikes I was interested in and got much useful information. This is where I learned you can arrange to have the title send to you instead of the seller.

― Steve Sailer
jimmy the gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #24
Mr F.
Throbbing Member

Bike(s):
- The bike I own
- All the bikes I used to own which I still list so everyone on the forums will know how cool I am

Thanks for the helpful advice guys, do appreciate it.
Mr F. is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement