MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #21
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Runs great might be a looser example.

"This bike will run for 10 more years." While meant to be a metaphor, could be taken literal by an idiot and could be viewed as an express warranty.

Why take the risk?
I'd rather take the risk of crashing a dirt bike, then going to court.
Anyone who puts "This bike will run for 10 more years" in an ad deserves to go to court. I'll write "as-is" on a bill of sale signed by the buyer all day long and sleep like a baby. Besides, the plaintiff has the burden of proof.
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Selling my bike p.r papi General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 03-20-2009 11:28 AM
Selling on Craigslist? CarbonJames Off Topic 33 04-14-2006 12:35 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #22
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Anyone who puts "This bike will run for 10 more years" in an ad deserves to go to court.
qft.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:46 AM   #23
flip326
No likey, no bikey

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'05 zx6r Monster (sold)
'03 600rr track (sold)
'04 600rr Eurobet (sold)
'05 gsxr 600 (sold)

I've purchased and sold a lot of bikes via Craigslist. PM me your email and ill send you the bill of sale form that I use on all transactions.

It's overkill, but id rather be safe than sorry.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #24
AndreaJ200
New Rider

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2007 Yamaha FZ6

Thanks everyone. I plan to meet at a public place, not alone, and not allow potential purchaser to test ride without cash in hand...any more suggestions? They are greatly appreciated!
AndreaJ200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #25
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaJ200 View Post
Thanks everyone. I plan to meet at a public place, not alone, and not allow potential purchaser to test ride without cash in hand...any more suggestions? They are greatly appreciated!
Yea, make sure you read post #15 in this thread
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #26
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaJ200 View Post
Make sure they either:
1. Have the full amount you are asking for, if they want to test ride before you negotiate.
2. Negotiate a final price barring a test ride for that specific amount.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #27
DLite
David

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'06 Triumph D675
'03 R6 (Track)
'07 HD Street Bob

Always try to talk to them on the phone. That can give you a sense of them as opposed to emails and txt msgs. If you feel weird about them then don't bother with them. I've avoided dealing a lot of people by weeding them out.

It's alright to refuse anyone you want.
DLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #28
xtelevisionset
Think Fast

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki GS500 2002

When I bought mine the Guy let me and my buddy in his house and garage to do the deal. I was surprised and his kids were there too.

Paid in cash but never got any test rides or anything.

I would propose meeting at a bank and completing the transaction there.
xtelevisionset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #29
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Best place to conduct the transaction is at the buyer's bank. Banks have cameras everywhere in and around the branch. Last time I bought a bike from an individual, I drew a cashier's check right there at the bank - while the seller looking on, so he knows the check is good and can cash it right there and then if he wishes. I'd rather not be toting cash money around, especially if the bike is somewhat expensive.

Seller can sign over the Title and fill out his portion on the Title Application as the buyer is handing over the check. As for BoS... couple of times ago, I went to the County Assesor's office to register a new bike I just bought, the clerk gave me back the Bill of Sale and didn't even look at it. Still a good idea to draft one up and print two copies - for seller and buyer to keep a signed copy each.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #30
flip326
No likey, no bikey

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'05 zx6r Monster (sold)
'03 600rr track (sold)
'04 600rr Eurobet (sold)
'05 gsxr 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
Best place to conduct the transaction is at the buyer's bank. Banks have cameras everywhere in and around the branch. Last time I bought a bike from an individual, I drew a cashier's check right there at the bank - while the seller looking on, so he knows the check is good and can cash it right there and then if he wishes. I'd rather not be toting cash money around, especially if the bike is somewhat expensive.

Seller can sign over the Title and fill out his portion on the Title Application as the buyer is handing over the check. As for BoS... couple of times ago, I went to the County Assesor's office to register a new bike I just bought, the clerk gave me back the Bill of Sale and didn't even look at it. Still a good idea to draft one up and print two copies - for seller and buyer to keep a signed copy each.
BOS is not for tax office...only for seller/buyer as acknowledgment of the sale and what terms do and donot exist.

If meeting at a bank, I ask that someone notorize the bill of sale at the same time as we sign. Like I said, I normally go overkill on what paperwork I make people sign, but I need to protect myself
Old 06-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #31
haythamboi600
Engineer.

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
04 Gsxr-600 (sold)
07 cbr-RR 600 (sold)
07 R6 (sold)
09 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog22 View Post
If you have to ask, Craigslist may not be your best option. But if you do use craigslist, just use common sense. I would not let someone ride my bike unless i had cash in my hand. No payments, no checks or wire transfers or anything fishy. Common sense is your friend.
there you go.
haythamboi600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:39 AM   #32
aznconquerer

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
1992 Honda VFR750 street fighter
1986 Yamaha FZ600 project bike

Wondering what kind of bike is it....
aznconquerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #33
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
KEEP YOUR PLATES IF YOU DO SELL. This will ensure that they finish the registration steps and title transfer. Don't be one of the idiots that jacks the out of the price for the purpose of bringing it back down during negotiations. This is the reason many offer way less . They already know your price is high as and you are probably and idiot.

Robert covered it.

He beat me to the plate thng tho. Keep your plates and make a BOS out. I dont give the plates when selling bikes.

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #34
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip326 View Post
BOS is not for tax office...only for seller/buyer as acknowledgment of the sale and what terms do and donot exist.

If meeting at a bank, I ask that someone notorize the bill of sale at the same time as we sign. Like I said, I normally go overkill on what paperwork I make people sign, but I need to protect myself
Tax Accessor does look at the BoS for the purchase price, but if that is lower than their own minimum fair market value, they use their own FMV instead of the sale price. Also, if for some reason, there is some question on the seller's info written on back of the Title and/or the Title Application, A notorized BoS may help resolve it. Otherwise, you're right it's just protection for both parties.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #35
Brian2006

I never will let the owner hang on to the entire asking price while I'm test riding a bike. I use this for negotiating purposes because I don't want them to know how much I brought. At times, I have given a $1 or $2k deposit in case I drop the bike, or I'll let them hang on to my DL or my $30k truck keys.

Because of this, I will sometimes request buyer to have total asking price in hand while test riding, but I almost always just end up hanging onto their keys or stay with their friend.
Brian2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #36
anatram
I love nekkid midgets

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
07 HD XL1200C

01 XR fiddy

Last one I sold went pretty easy,

Guy texted, tried to low ball me by 2500.00

I texted him back, told him bike was paid for and it don't cost me a dime to keep it in the garage.

He texted back said he had the full amount, where did I want to meet him.

I meet him at the credit union parking lot, I was on my bike a buddy was on the one I was trying to sell.

Guy pulled up, looked it over and wanted to ride it. I asked if he had cash, he said yeah.

Okay, let my buddy count it and hold it, I'll follow you on my bike when he's done counting.

Counted out, cranked up, and drove off. I followed him on my bike for a 15-20 minute ride, event went on the freeway.

Went back to the credit union, we discussed price, I dropped price, handed him 5 bills back, took off the plates, signed a bill of sale,and he drove off.

Buddy rode back to the house with his girl.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #37
dudewhrsmybike

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
Tax Accessor does look at the BoS for the purchase price, but if that is lower than their own minimum fair market value, they use their own FMV instead of the sale price.
Not entirely true. They can get the sale price from the application for title transfer form.
I had a BoS when I transferred my title the other week and I was told I didn't need it

I don't have access to the link right now, but you can enter the VIN# and it will give you a fair market value price.
You pay 6.25% on 80% of FMV IF you paid less than that amount.

I wrote down the FMV price as the selling price on the application for title transfer. Wish I would have known the 80% part, coulda saved myself some money
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #38
dow jones

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
05 R6 Raven

Like others have mentioned keep your plates. My brother bought a bike 5 months ago and has still not registered it in his name.
dow jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:14 PM   #39
The Habernatho

Bike(s):
2012 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewhrsmybike View Post
Not entirely true. They can get the sale price from the application for title transfer form.
I had a BoS when I transferred my title the other week and I was told I didn't need it

I don't have access to the link right now, but you can enter the VIN# and it will give you a fair market value price.
You pay 6.25% on 80% of FMV IF you paid less than that amount.

I wrote down the FMV price as the selling price on the application for title transfer. Wish I would have known the 80% part, coulda saved myself some money
Standard presumptive value- " A vehicle’s standard presumptive value is the calculated price of a vehicle’s worth based on similar sales in the Texas region"
http://www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/titles...tive_value.htm
Also, to the op much of this has already been discussed in different threads that can be found by searching the forum.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #40
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
When I SALE a bike on CL, I make sure to never list my number...only an anonymous email, if we meet at my house, know that I will be packing heat....I'll also have every door to my house closed so you can't see what's in the garage, etc. Wanna ride it?? bring your cash....so when you dump it while riding around the block we can conclude the SELL.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement