MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012, 08:17 AM   #161
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

I can tell U one thing had I been the cop in the second video with the azzhat taunting me and cuttin me off, like he was doing I would have used that pushbar on the front of my to put him on his azz
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking up a license plate # icecreaman Off Topic 2 11-29-2010 05:24 PM
license plate MCgixxer General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 04-30-2010 04:52 PM
License Plate Look-up Help Helios Off Topic 0 08-20-2009 10:01 AM
License plate... hardcoresteve General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 10-05-2007 04:49 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-22-2012, 08:44 AM   #162
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Blanco View Post
3)No one makes them do the job of a Police oiffice so lose the attitude. You chose the "noble" low paying job so do the job without being a dickhed.
I knew a traffic cop that lived in a gated community with Doctors and Lawyers so they are not all lowpaying jobs. He made plenty of money showing up to court and writting tickets.

He was still a .

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMFIC View Post
I heard somewhere they have to ask you three times before they can touch you......
Thats good to know!

yeah. I thought it'd be like riding with a condescending rossi.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #163
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN600 View Post
He made plenty of money showing up to court and writting tickets.
I guess he worked on commision
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #164
green600
HG Chairperson

overtime pays well

Old 06-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #165
NAILLZ
I.C.B.M.

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2007 R6S

Member Garage

i hate fu%kin cops...point blank! Abuse of power and authority. When one of them gets shot or killed - that's good news to my ears.

Where ever my Inter-Continental Ballistic Missile goes my gear follows.
NAILLZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:59 AM   #166
green600
HG Chairperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAILLZ View Post
i hate fu%kin cops...point blank! Abuse of power and authority. When one of them gets shot or killed - that's good news to my ears.
Please elaborate

Old 06-22-2012, 09:03 AM   #167
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
You really need to learn to express yourself. Keeping bad feelings pent up just isn't healthy. It's okay tell us how you really feel.

Dumbass.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #168
FLYIN'DUC

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

Quote:
Thats fuct up, Some cops are power trip azzholes, but not all, and they are after all humans with families, saying when one gets shot or killed is good news, thats purdy chitty U reap what U sew, I use to be a smartass when I was younger everytime I got pulled over, that got me alot of grief, Now I have learned to respect them and it goes a lot farther, I have even gotten out of at least 2 tickets that were well over a ton, and even have been thanked for stopping, might try that sometime
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:22 AM   #169
Fastola
Banned

Bike(s):
06 CBR6er-street

User is banned

Fastola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #170
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
When one of them gets shot or killed - that's good news to my ears.
So what's jail really like?
Old 06-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #171
CBRguyIZcool
UkrainianSicilian100%Nerd

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
H-D Sportster 48

Send a message via AIM to CBRguyIZcool
What's up with all this we have rights and stuff, it's the police. Do what they say stay quiet hope you dont catch a beat down.
CBRguyIZcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #172
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
So what's jail really like?
I'm thinking he had his stretched. Based on his post, he must want to go back for more. Next time he gets pulled over, he should say that exact statement to the LEO.

I only hope he has a GoPro so we can watch his badassness in action.
The Problem - Endurance
Old 06-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #173
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRguyIZcool View Post
What's up with all this we have rights and stuff, it's the police. Do what they say stay quiet hope you dont catch a beat down.
Yes. The point that I was trying to make is sometimes it is best to pick your battles for the right time. On the side of the road when the cops are off is not the appropriate place to try to argue with him.
The Problem - Endurance
Old 06-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #174
wackjum
Attorney at law

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
No bikes right now. :(

First off, the arrest was legal. In Texas, there's only two crimes the officer absolutely cannot arrest you for and they are speeding and having an open container.

We never got to see the plate, but if it was obscured in any way, the stop and arrest was legal.

Even though it feels wrong, there is nothing legally wrong with pretextual stops. As a matter of fact undercover units will tail a suspected drug smuggler for miles until they see a traffic offense and then vector in marked units for a traffic stop. I had a marijuana case where HPD Narcotics tailed the guy to Beaumont before they witnessed a failure to change lanes without signalling and got a Beaumont PD officer to do the stop. As soon as the Beaumont PD officer pulled him over, the first question out of her mouth was "Can I look around the truck?"

I think it is pretty clear the stop in question was pretextual. The officer figured he could get the video voluntarily and when the rider refused to consent, the officer was at a loss what to do. He went back to his patrol car, probably radioed some supervisors or colleagues, and then came up with the idea of arresting for the plate. After arresting the guy, the officer is entitled to do an inventory search of the vehicle and the guy's property.

But an inventory search can't legally get the officer the video. The officer needed a search warrant to get the video because none of the warrantless exceptions apply. I've seen officers think they know ways to get around not having a search warrant so it doesn't surprise me.

So in the end it is a wash. The arrest was legal and there's nothing wrong with pretextual stops. The officer's attempt at getting the video was misguided but the only recourse is suppression of the video if it ever is used as evidence.

In the court of public perception, the officer's move was shady. Maybe he also violated department policy. But he didn't do anything illegal. And I don't know that public perception is really on our side considering the asshattery of the motorcyclists on the dashcam.

So these are what I would say are the takehome lessons:

1) Keep your bike and yourself legal. Don't give them an easy reason to stop you. Traffic violations have to be proved up. Something like an expired registration is self-evident and there's nothing you can say. So many cases have come through where the rider is dirty (no M, no ins, etc) and there wasn't any probable cause for the stop. If that was the case, the rider would have gotten off scotch free. But as the officer strolls up, he sees the registration is out. Well that is his PC. No matter how unlikely or improbable it is that an officer spotted an expired registration on a moving bike at 40 mph, it is not impossible and so you're hung.

2) If an officer is going to arrest you, he's going to arrest you. Good thing the guy had a headcam. I could have foreseen resisting arrest charges which would have tossed this into Class B "real crime" territory. Just go quietly and resolve it later.

3) Motorcycle asshattery is a disservice to the rest of us. I have this fear that one day I'll be rolling along on my lime green Kawasaki and some other lime green Kawasaki does something stupid and I get picked up for it. How do I prove a negative?

4) Cameras are a good thing. As a defense attorney, I wish they were everywhere.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #175
CBRguyIZcool
UkrainianSicilian100%Nerd

Bike(s):
H-D Sportster 48

Send a message via AIM to CBRguyIZcool
And the law has spoken !
CBRguyIZcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #176
jimrad
Moderate pace forever .

Trackdays: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackjum View Post
First off, the arrest was legal. In Texas, there's only two crimes the officer absolutely cannot arrest you for and they are speeding and having an open container.

We never got to see the plate, but if it was obscured in any way, the stop and arrest was legal.

Even though it feels wrong, there is nothing legally wrong with pretextual stops. As a matter of fact undercover units will tail a suspected drug smuggler for miles until they see a traffic offense and then vector in marked units for a traffic stop. I had a marijuana case where HPD Narcotics tailed the guy to Beaumont before they witnessed a failure to change lanes without signalling and got a Beaumont PD officer to do the stop. As soon as the Beaumont PD officer pulled him over, the first question out of her mouth was "Can I look around the truck?"

I think it is pretty clear the stop in question was pretextual. The officer figured he could get the video voluntarily and when the rider refused to consent, the officer was at a loss what to do. He went back to his patrol car, probably radioed some supervisors or colleagues, and then came up with the idea of arresting for the plate. After arresting the guy, the officer is entitled to do an inventory search of the vehicle and the guy's property.

But an inventory search can't legally get the officer the video. The officer needed a search warrant to get the video because none of the warrantless exceptions apply. I've seen officers think they know ways to get around not having a search warrant so it doesn't surprise me.

So in the end it is a wash. The arrest was legal and there's nothing wrong with pretextual stops. The officer's attempt at getting the video was misguided but the only recourse is suppression of the video if it ever is used as evidence.

In the court of public perception, the officer's move was shady. Maybe he also violated department policy. But he didn't do anything illegal. And I don't know that public perception is really on our side considering the asshattery of the motorcyclists on the dashcam.

So these are what I would say are the takehome lessons:

1) Keep your bike and yourself legal. Don't give them an easy reason to stop you. Traffic violations have to be proved up. Something like an expired registration is self-evident and there's nothing you can say. So many cases have come through where the rider is dirty (no M, no ins, etc) and there wasn't any probable cause for the stop. If that was the case, the rider would have gotten off scotch free. But as the officer strolls up, he sees the registration is out. Well that is his PC. No matter how unlikely or improbable it is that an officer spotted an expired registration on a moving bike at 40 mph, it is not impossible and so you're hung.

2) If an officer is going to arrest you, he's going to arrest you. Good thing the guy had a headcam. I could have foreseen resisting arrest charges which would have tossed this into Class B "real crime" territory. Just go quietly and resolve it later.

3) Motorcycle asshattery is a disservice to the rest of us. I have this fear that one day I'll be rolling along on my lime green Kawasaki and some other lime green Kawasaki does something stupid and I get picked up for it. How do I prove a negative?

4) Cameras are a good thing. As a defense attorney, I wish they were everywhere.
Awesome...thanks..It all makes perfect sence now...

Yes...i was warned about my tag on my old bike..and now i have it "visible"...just don't give them a reason to pull you over...and keep the spirited riding to a secluded area or track..
Old 06-22-2012, 10:29 AM   #177
TheVirus
Original OG

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2001 SV650S
2009 *Secret*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPsyclone View Post
What stands out to me is the disparity between the go-pro footage and the dash cam scenario. The cop in the original post went overboard when a fairly calm rider got a little mouthy and defensive. Shoves him from behind like that. He's not resisting. Then looks like he slamsthe door on something - was it his leg? Cop is on a power trip and needs a boot up his .

The cop that stops the truck remains calm (too calm imo) after being buzzed and backed off - that jackass taunting him, witnessing dozens of serious violations. Some sort of contraband is passed from the truck to a rider and then another person flees the scene on another bike... he's just calm. It would have made my day if that douchebag who rides up and grabs whatever it was from the girl got the tazed out of him before he could take off. Can you imagine if the first jackass was the one who stopped the truck?!?
The contraband you spoke of was the cameras recording the event. They want that out of there so there wouldn't have any recordings of it. Look closely its 2 cameras
Old 06-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #178
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVirus View Post
The contraband you spoke of was the cameras recording the event. They want that out of there so there wouldn't have any recordings of it. Look closely its 2 cameras
If you look even closer you can plainly see that those cameras were gutted and filled with meth
Old 06-22-2012, 11:23 AM   #179
brandontx

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

You can't go to jail for an open container? Party on.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:31 AM   #180
jwreck

Bike(s):
06 Speed Triple-sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackjum View Post
Traffic violations have to be proved up.
Can you elaborate on that a bit? What exactly does "proved up" mean?

Advertisement