MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2007, 12:41 PM   #1
wiz
Brain Surgeon

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
03 954 & 99 F4

Thanks for the bike.....

The Florida Highway Patrol on Thursday showed off a trio of high-powered sport motorcycles it had recently seized, including the $9300 Yamaha YZF-R6.

"All the law says is we get the tag number, we just come and pick up the bike," Florida Highway Patrol spokesman Kim Miller told the Orlando Sentinel newspaper.

Last year, the force grabbed the rides of 344 motorcyclists, usually claiming that their owners had run from the police -- a felony -- based on a memory of a license plate number. No police car can keep up with either a sport bike's top speed or ability to accelerate, and Florida police have a policy restricting high-speed chases. Although police claim the confiscation policy is done to save the lives of innocent motorists, no automobile driver has been killed by a motorcyclist on the run.

The most common state police tactic is to accuse a motorcyclist of a felony, initiate the seizure proceeding, then drop the charges. This allows police get to keep the sport bike without the effort of a court battle or the danger of a not guilty verdict. Even an innocent motorcyclist will think twice about fighting an an unjust seizure since the felony charges carry jail time and a permanent black mark on more than just the driving record.

Source: Reckless bikers risk losing rides (Orlando Sentinel (FL), 1/6/2007)
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sunday 4/01 Bike ride to Deer Park's Bike Show, then Galveston! GixxerLizzy Events, Meets and Rides 7 04-08-2012 07:38 PM
Friday night group ride HOOTErS ;)!! Discuss bike possible bike club skullrider Events, Meets and Rides 7 03-23-2012 06:27 PM
Cycle Gear south 9/1 6-9p bike night/bike wash Ilean Events, Meets and Rides 11 09-01-2011 06:49 PM
Friend wanting a liter bike for first street bike *long convo inside* AWD General Discussion (Moto Related) 108 08-08-2006 12:08 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2007, 12:43 PM   #2
paniro187

and people wonder why people on ride the track and don't ride on the streets.

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:54 PM   #3
jrock
straight shooter

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
Thats in Florida. I think they chase you down in Texas.

Or at least try to

I pull over for the police, I dont have anything to hide and they have usually been polite.
They seem kinda suprised that at my age I still ride a sportbike but, ohwell
What can I say.
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:00 PM   #4
MadseasoN

Feedback Rating: (1)

I'd fight it.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:01 PM   #5
BrutusTx

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock
Thats in Florida. I think they chase you down in Texas.

Or at least try to

I pull over for the police, I dont have anything to hide and they have usually been polite.
They seem kinda suprised that at my age I still ride a sportbike but, ohwell
What can I say.
As soon as I take off my helmet they start with the "SIR"
But I guess that is better than the alternatives:laughing6
Old 01-11-2007, 01:06 PM   #6
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

, that sounds like theft to me.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:08 PM   #7
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutusTx
As soon as I take off my helmet they start with the "SIR"
But I guess that is better than the alternatives:laughing6
That's cause you're OLD and WRINKLED Clyde!

They take it easy on you because they are scared you might break your hip or something getting off the bike, so they let you go rather than have to face a possible lawsuit
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:12 PM   #8
BrutusTx

Member Garage

^^^^^^
Old 01-11-2007, 01:13 PM   #9
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutusTx
^^^^^^
love ya man!
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:16 PM   #10
koskesh
May i go to the Bathroom?

Bike(s):
06 gsxr750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
, that sounds like theft to me.
+1 I would have to fight it cause theres no way Id let the police dept jack me for my bike when I havnt done anything wrong. Screw that and heres to them and kiss my
koskesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:19 PM   #11
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by koskesh
+1 I would have to fight it cause theres no way Id let the police dept jack me for my bike when I havnt done anything wrong. Screw that and heres to them and kiss my
Alot of the info does not make sense.... When exactly are they seizing these things? I mean, if you are coming to my house to steal my bike there will be reprocusions. Does not make alot of sense to me.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:24 PM   #12
wiz
Brain Surgeon

Bike(s):
03 954 & 99 F4

Quote:
Alot of the info does not make sense.... When exactly are they seizing these things? I mean, if you are coming to my house to steal my bike there will be reprocusions. Does not make alot of sense to me.
i think it's shady they can come to your house from just trying to memorize your plate number. what if they got the wrong number. i don't know. doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me either.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:26 PM   #13
jrock
straight shooter

Bike(s):

[quote=wiz]The Florida Highway Patrol on Thursday showed off a trio of high-powered sport motorcycles it had recently seized, including the $9300 Yamaha YZF-R6.

"All the law says is we get the tag number, we just come and pick up the bike," Florida Highway Patrol spokesman Kim Miller told the Orlando Sentinel newspaper.

The tag number would be how they find you.
If you run in Florida they just try to get your plate number and then knock, knock, BAM!! your bike is gone.
I am sure they are real hard on bikes with obscured/concealed plates for this reason.
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
Old 01-11-2007, 01:26 PM   #14
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz
i think it's shady they can come to your house from just trying to memorize your plate number. what if they got the wrong number. i don't know. doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me either.
Exactly, I don't know how they do this but, they would probably be arresting me as well if they are coming to take my stuff. :eh:

Old 01-11-2007, 01:27 PM   #15
jrock
straight shooter

Bike(s):

Hope the TX DPS doesnt start this program.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:28 PM   #16
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

[QUOTE=jrock]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz
The Florida Highway Patrol on Thursday showed off a trio of high-powered sport motorcycles it had recently seized, including the $9300 Yamaha YZF-R6.

The tag number would be how they find you.
If you run in Florida they just try to get your plate number and then knock, knock, BAM!! your bike is gone.
I am sure they are real hard on bikes with obscured/concealed plates for this reason.
Not sure what country Florida is in now... Maybe Cuba... but, last I checked you are innocent until proven guilty. How the do they seize your stuff with out first proving you are guilty beyond a reasonable doubt?

Old 01-11-2007, 01:34 PM   #17
wiz
Brain Surgeon

Bike(s):
03 954 & 99 F4

[QUOTE=Moody]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock
Not sure what country Florida is in now... Maybe Cuba... but, last I checked you are innocent until proven guilty. How the do they seize your stuff with out first proving you are guilty beyond a reasonable doubt?
the killer is that they say after seizing the bike they drop the charges to avoid all the legal expenses and the possibility that the owner may actually get off.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:35 PM   #18
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

[QUOTE=wiz]
Quote:

the killer is that they say after seizing the bike they drop the charges to avoid all the legal expenses and the possibility that the owner may actually get off.
Exactly, that is theft and we shoot thieves in Cypress. :laughing6

... anyways, their has to be some information missing from this write up. Call the police department and ask them how this is supposed to work.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:36 PM   #19
MadseasoN

Feedback Rating: (1)

Hmmmm. Well in Harris County the Sheriff's office gets to keep the proceeds from anything they seize. If it's the same in FL what's to stop these guys from just driving around cherry picking bikes?
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:37 PM   #20
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by denhou1974
Hmmmm. Well in Harris County the Sheriff's office gets to keep the proceeds from anything they seize. If it's the same in FL what's to stop these guys from just driving around cherry picking bikes?
Exactly!

Advertisement