MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila

"Spies Rule" Only Applies To American Riders, Apparently?

Dorna continues to play "Pin the Tail on the Donkey" with the MotoGP rulebook, and the "Rookie Rule" could be the next regulation to change.

Starting in 2010, rookie riders were prohibited from racing for factory teams. The rule was designed to help satellite teams field promising riders, which would in turn generate more sponsorship opportunities for those teams. The regulation commonly was called "The Ben Spies Rule" since it prevented 2009 Superbike World Champion Spies from jumping directly into the Yamaha factory team in 2010, as he raced for Tech 3 Yamaha that season.

But with Spanish Moto2 standout Marc Marquez tabbed by many - including those in Dorna offices in Madrid and Barcelona - as the next superstar of the premier class, it appears Dorna boss Carmelo Ezpeleta is willing to change, or at least bend, the Rookie Rule to get homeboy Marquez and his Repsol backing into the factory Repsol Honda team next season.

That's crucial for Dorna and Repsol, especially with Jorge Lorenzo electing to stay at Yamaha through 2014.

"The rule was made in order to help satellite teams, so as to guarantee for them young and talented riders before they inevitably end up with the factory teams," Ezpeleta said to Italian media. "It helps keep the gap between works and satellite teams in check. In any case, like every rule, it doesn't necessarily have to be kept rigidly. If it is judged to be bad, it can be reviewed."

Hmm. The rule was good to keep an ascending American superstar in check for a year. But it's bad to shackle a rising Spanish superstar?

There's also the option of placing Marquez on a works Honda with a satellite team for next season before promoting him to the factory team in 2014. But with Valentino Rossi available for the same works-satellite setup, wouldn't Honda prefer to create stability by setting Spaniards Dani Pedrosa and Marquez as its Respol Honda lineup through 2014 and giving Rossi the distance from HRC that he probably wants, due to past animosity, through a -out satellite setup?

This rules' flip-flop is nothing new in the house of Dorna over the last six years. Premier-class engine regulations have changed twice since 2006, moving to 800cc in 2007 and 1000cc in 2012, with great expense to the manufacturers. Limits on numbers of engines used per season were introduced. A caste system within the premier class, Claiming Rule Teams, was created. A "Rookie Rule" was brought into play and could be scrapped. The standard front tire compound is changing midseason this weekend at Silverstone. And so on.

Is it any wonder Casey Stoner's no longer in love with the championship? Is it a shocking surprise that Aprilia Racing boss Gigi Dall'Igna recently said rules stability is a major reason why the Italian manufacturer has fielded a factory effort in World Superbike instead of MotoGP?

The rules in MotoGP these days are about as stable as the value of the Euro or as several Eastern European governments.

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2012/Jun/120614wsx.htm

more
Ezpeleta explains MotoGP Rookie Rule change of heart
"after many discussions with the independent teams, we decided that it is better to cancel the rule" - Carmelo Ezpeleta, Dorna.

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/181..._of_heart.html

And we wonder why the decline in motogp
Marquez
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"SPOILER" WSBK Valencia Spies/Haga Grinchy Taking it to the Track 25 04-09-2009 03:58 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-19-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

Though Marquez was fun to watch this last race in Moto2, this sounds like BS.

MotoGP not too exciting though...

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
08 Ninja250 BRAWP bike (For Sale)
08 Ninja250 Racebike(Sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

Motorcycles are like women... once you ride one... you wanna ride em all.
Thayleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #4
hotcknstrips
Bevo's royal guard.

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
09 Buell 1125CR

He does to MotoGP what Ecclestone does to F1, throw his weight around to suit his needs and those close to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Weird Lady
Mucus Membrane!
hotcknstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #5
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Yep, and lets be honest, has any American really been popular in GP besides in the eyes of American fans...?

If you've ever traveled outside of the US, you will know that everyone just despises the Americans to begin with.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:28 AM   #6
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

how much american money and talent is actually involved, compared to the rest of the world? I do not think they are too concerned about what americans think.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #7
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
how much american money and talent is actually involved, compared to the rest of the world? I do not think they are too concerned about what americans think.
They hold 2 races in the US, and are talking about CotA. So there's significant American money.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #8
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Yep, and lets be honest, has any American really been popular in GP besides in the eyes of American fans...?

If you've ever traveled outside of the US, you will know that everyone just despises the Americans to begin with.
what a crock

Shwantz has legendary popularity, with only Rossi imo surpassing that.
Rainey almost as much,
Colin edwards is idolised,
Scott Russell (more for his WSBK) is right up there,
Randy Mamola is huge in Europe etc etc

Dude your statement is way off.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #9
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

but they still dont make the jack that golfers, and soccer players make, and they aint risking life and limb every second, thats totally fuct in my eyes
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #10
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
what a crock

Shwantz has legendary popularity, with only Rossi imo surpassing that.
Rainey almost as much,
Colin edwards is idolised,
Scott Russell (more for his WSBK) is right up there,
Randy Mamola is huge in Europe etc etc

Dude your statement is way off.
I disagree. I equate popularity in this case with like-ability, not talent, skills, or hardware.

No other country rooted for an American rider if they had a local rider on the grid.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:54 AM   #11
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYIN'DUC View Post
but they still dont make the jack that golfers, and soccer players make, and they aint risking life and limb every second, thats totally fuct in my eyes
with the exception of Rossi that is who many believe inc me to be the GOAT

but I agree, they should be payed way more, at all levels of the sport right down to club level racing if I had my way and the funds to do it
Old 06-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #12
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I disagree. I equate popularity in this case with like-ability, not talent, skills, or hardware.

No other country rooted for an American rider if they had a local rider on the grid.
you're wrong again,

King Kenny may have been revered for his talent skills and hardware as was Eddie Lawson but for likeability my list stands.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #13
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

my post was not a statement it was a question, and yes there are two races here in the states united.. out of how many? do the states united have the expectation of actually being able to influence any decision making....
as to the american riders, how popular are they really, I mean away from here.
I am a new fan of racing and do not really know enough to know what influence if any states united folks have.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #14
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
my post was not a statement it was a question, and yes there are two races here in the states united.. out of how many? do the states united have the expectation of actually being able to influence any decision making....
as to the american riders, how popular are they really, I mean away from here.
I am a new fan of racing and do not really know enough to know what influence if any states united folks have.
Edwards is HUGE in Europe, Hayden a little less so but his dancing act at laguna endeared him to many across the water. Spies has yet to stamp his personality onto the grid.
the US has very little say in Dorna politics, the sport is dominated by the Italians and Spaniards, fortunately the size of the US economy for the the competing manufacturers pretty much ensures the right of way for worthy US riders.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #15
CUZ
Wheelie Man

Bike(s):
09 ninja 250

Take That Dive
CUZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #16
Chuckster

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

I think the "American money" in reference here is more in the forms of sponsors. True, there are 2 MotoGP races n the US and soon to be a third. The difference is, most of the European races bring in 80,000+ fans to the track.

As far as racer popularity, riders like Rossi, Marquez, Lorenzo and such have hero status equal to NASCAR legends like Earnhardt and co. Motorcycle racing is part of the culture over there. Sure, Hayden, Edwards and other Americans have a fan base but not equal to their European counterparts.
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:51 PM   #17
Wawazat?!
Chuck my Norris

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
'09 Aprilia RS125
'05 Honda "Fiddy"
'09 R1 (sold)
'07 gixxer 750 (RIP)

Quote:
Edwards is HUGE in Europe, Hayden a little less so but his dancing act at laguna endeared him to many across the water. Spies has yet to stamp his personality onto the grid.
the US has very little say in Dorna politics, the sport is dominated by the Italians and Spaniards, fortunately the size of the US economy for the the competing manufacturers pretty much ensures the right of way for worthy US riders.
I love the boy, but "Spies" and "personality" do not belong in the same sentence. lol
Wawazat?! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:48 AM   #18
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
I think the "American money" in reference here is more in the forms of sponsors. True, there are 2 MotoGP races n the US and soon to be a third. The difference is, most of the European races bring in 80,000+ fans to the track.

As far as racer popularity, riders like Rossi, Marquez, Lorenzo and such have hero status equal to NASCAR legends like Earnhardt and co. Motorcycle racing is part of the culture over there. Sure, Hayden, Edwards and other Americans have a fan base but not equal to their European counterparts.
isnt that just the saddest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wawazat?! View Post
I love the boy, but "Spies" and "personality" do not belong in the same sentence. lol
bit harsh
Old 06-20-2012, 08:01 AM   #19
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
you're wrong again,

King Kenny may have been revered for his talent skills and hardware as was Eddie Lawson but for likeability my list stands.
agreed alot of EURO riders wear lids of edwards and spies, wonder why.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:31 AM   #20
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
Exactly. Where's the CE or BS shirts?
valentino rossi fans misano

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
agreed alot of EURO riders wear lids of edwards and spies, wonder why.
Proof? I'd love to see some sales numbers by country.

Advertisement