MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's.....
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #21
MAYH3M

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
xr100
crf80

Thanks for all the intel moto dudes. Curious how you were able to make your KTM street legal.

Also, the reason why I inquired about the crf250x at 4k is because a honda dealer is selling one for that price. Thing looks brand spanking new and is claimed to have been ridden twice.

I actually did come across a really kickass looking KTM125 for 800 bucks that needed a little work (about 200 bucks worth only)

In the mean time my pops and I will kick it on our 80 and 100cc hondas gangster style
MAYH3M is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motocross @ Southwick Motocross 338 nutmegchoi General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 07-01-2013 08:48 PM
Got myself a new trailbike/project... dhdrider Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 39 11-19-2012 11:33 AM
Physics of Motocross Scorpio Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 4 06-19-2012 08:09 AM
MotoCross Rocket_Fish Events, Meets and Rides 5 04-01-2010 08:48 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-19-2012, 05:57 AM   #22
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

Keep an eye open, 4k for a 2005 bike is crazy

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:33 AM   #23
Prothos

Bike(s):
Huffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAYH3M View Post
Thanks for all the intel moto dudes. Curious how you were able to make your KTM street legal.
The previous owner took care of all the work prior to me getting it. He said the kit was installed at the dealership when it was purchased and they took care of all the papaer work for him.
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #24
CDN_bacon
Eh?

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
VFR800
CRF 250X

2005 crf 250x for $2500 obo
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/3075819691.html

another in Austin, 2006
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/3083550828.html

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True Story" - Barney Stinson
CDN_bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:24 PM   #25
MAYH3M

Bike(s):
xr100
crf80

thx for watching out for a brother bacon. Unfortunately, I've managed to incur quite a bit of debt after graduating from college and don't have 2500 bucks :( I've looked at dealers that finance but sweet jesus 7200 for a dirt bike!!!
Old 06-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #26
TheVirus
Original OG

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2001 SV650S
2009 *Secret*

ill finance you $2499 up front and 50 cents a month for rest of your life. HAHA i kid.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:45 PM   #27
TheVirus
Original OG

Bike(s):
2001 SV650S
2009 *Secret*

You would save A LOT of money, by going to a credit unions and getting a "Small car loan" claim you have most of the money just need a little more. The 2500 will probably get at a much lower rate than the stealership will give you and the bike you buy will be a lot cheaper. banks dont need to verify you actually buying a car.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #28
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
Curious how you were able to make your KTM street legal.
You can make any motorcycle street legal regardless of whether it is a 4t or 2t. Get all the legal stuff you need (DOT tires, headlight, tailight, stop light, and horn) and get it inspected, then registered for a road-going title. Technically speaking you will need a spark arrested silencer, but I doubt that any inspection shop would check for that. Most likely they would check for sound level before a spark arrestor.

I considered getting mine street legal, but opted instead to just buy a $25 temp tag any time I want to be able to ride on the road (like my annual trip to go ride up in Colorado).

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #29
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVirus View Post
But i prefer the 4 stroke in any trail riding. Specially climbing around 75 degree slopes
If you have any video evidence of that I gotta see it!

Quote:
Your maint. will be higher and more expensive on a KTM.
I disagree. Maintenance on a KTM wouldn't be higher than a 4. The network of available OEM parts for KTM is just as extensive as the 4. If you said that major maintenance on a 4t would be higher than a 2t, I would agree with that. But "regular" maintenance on all dirtbikes will be about the same.
I can get a new top end kit (not just the piston, but all parts needed) for my KTM 300 for $185. (http://www.cookseycrank.com/#!solutions)

2008 KTM 200 XC

Retail Resource Group
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
Old 06-20-2012, 12:15 PM   #30
CDN_bacon
Eh?

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
VFR800
CRF 250X

Quote:
thx for watching out for a brother bacon. Unfortunately, I've managed to incur quite a bit of debt after graduating from college and don't have 2500 bucks :( I've looked at dealers that finance but sweet jesus 7200 for a dirt bike!!!
Whats your budget?

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True Story" - Barney Stinson
CDN_bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #31
TheVirus
Original OG

Bike(s):
2001 SV650S
2009 *Secret*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdrider View Post
If you have any video evidence of that I gotta see it!

I disagree. Maintenance on a KTM wouldn't be higher than a 4. The network of available OEM parts for KTM is just as extensive as the 4. If you said that major maintenance on a 4t would be higher than a 2t, I would agree with that. But "regular" maintenance on all dirtbikes will be about the same.
I can get a new top end kit (not just the piston, but all parts needed) for my KTM 300 for $185. (http://www.cookseycrank.com/#!solutions)
I do agree with you to an extent, from my experience my KTM always needed more work and more maintenance than my other DB's. So when i was talking more, i didn't mean drastically, just some. I have always ended up paying more for used part on the KTM then on the Honda or Kawi, but maybe that is just me. So i do agree and disagree with you, depends what you are working on. It just needed more attention to me, maybe thats just my personal isolated experience that others may have not faced.

On another note, I do not have a video. But i will make sure next time to either strap the go pro to me, bike or the follower. It is not an easy climb. Its definitely some mud slinging, rooster tailing climb that can not be taken from a dig. but i am just a 4 guy over a 2 guy, Doesn't mean i don't like to ride them and have fun on them(i just prefer not to have to be high up in the revs to make the climb, i prefer to be able to make a steady climb from a low start). They can just jump up and bite you sometimes. When i go out trail/enduro riding. Its 4 all the way for me.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #32
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
Doesn't mean i don't like to ride them and have fun on them(i just prefer not to have to be high up in the revs to make the climb, i prefer to be able to make a steady climb from a low start). They can just jump up and bite you sometimes. When i go out trail/enduro riding. Its 4 all the way for me.
Well I ride a 300 2t so really mine's sort of like a 3 stroke. I can lug it all day long with the best of the 4t bikes!

2008 KTM 200 XC

Retail Resource Group
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
Old 06-21-2012, 09:56 PM   #33
MAYH3M

Bike(s):
xr100
crf80

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_bacon View Post
Whats your budget?
i just spent some dough to fix my malibu and now the GTO transmission is majorly screwed up so will need to fix that (extremely bad week for me). In the mean time i am going to keep around on the xr100 until i can eventually roll with the big dawgs.

hey check out this video i saw on youtube. i think its pretty sick dude, righteous!!!! <===== how i imagine moto peeps talk

Old 06-22-2012, 03:28 AM   #34
phantomzrex

Bike(s):
2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200R R.I.P.

Moab, Utah

Quote:
i just spent some dough to fix my malibu and now the GTO transmission is majorly screwed up so will need to fix that (extremely bad week for me). In the mean time i am going to keep around on the xr100 until i can eventually roll with the big dawgs.

hey check out this video i saw on youtube. i think its pretty sick dude, righteous!!!! <===== how i imagine moto peeps talk

Dirt Biking Moab, Utah - YouTube
Pretty wicked terrain, better not be afraid of heights!
phantomzrex is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement