MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's.....
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
MAYH3M
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 23

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
xr100
crf80








trailbike or motocross bike?

I'm looking at getting a dirt bike by honda in the near future and can't decide on one of their trailbike or motocross bikes. Basically between a 150f-250f trail bike or a 150r-250r motocross. Someone suggested I get a 250f for my application since I really like trailriding. But for almost the same amount I could get a 250r motocross version.

Do motocross bikes require more upkeep? More expensive to repair? Any reason why I should settle for a trailriding one over a MX.

I'm a beginner in the dirt bike scene. I really would prefer a bike that is light too so I could manhandle it if need be. Which is why I really like the 150r at 180lbs compared to the 150f at 230lbs.

I'm open to anyones opinion. Thanks
MAYH3M is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motocross @ Southwick Motocross 338 nutmegchoi General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 07-01-2013 08:48 PM
Got myself a new trailbike/project... dhdrider Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 39 11-19-2012 11:33 AM
Physics of Motocross Scorpio Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 4 06-19-2012 08:09 AM
MotoCross Rocket_Fish Events, Meets and Rides 5 04-01-2010 08:48 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
CDN_bacon
Eh?
 
CDN_bacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: West Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 519

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
VFR800
CRF 250X








Let me ask you this? How old are you, riding experience, weight? I started about a year and a half ago and I had (and still do) more of an interest for trail riding with a little track. Lately, I've been riding Rio Bravo a lot but still say I ride the majority of trails and hard scrambles and some track. Also like you I wanted a Honda and had a challenge due to my inseam as I wanted something I could touch with. I looked at the 150R and turned it down because its a pure race machine that is happy when its wide open. I looked at the 250f which fit me good but from everyone who I talked to I was warned against because its heavy and I was warned after a few months I'd be bored of the power range.

In the end I got a crf 250X which I love, no regrets. Its stock geared for trail riding although putting a 51 tooth sprocket and doing a few simple mods its opened up the power range so much more than stock and I love it. Perfectly geared for trails.... great for light track riding, and the best thing (IMHO) is having an electric start. Kicking gets old on the trails when you've dropped your bike and/or stalled out a few times. It adds a few lbs but well worth it in my opinion.

Feel free to come take my bike for a ride up at Rio sometime if you want.
__________________
"Life is tough .... It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True Story" - Barney Stinson
CDN_bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
cdill35
717
 
cdill35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 9,586

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy







I wanted a motorcycle that was bad on the trails. I used a YZ250F in a hare scramble once and thought it sucked. After a lot of reading I decided that a KTM 250XCW was the way to go. It's light, nimble and baddest of all? Electric start and kick stand. I bought it thinking I was just going to ride trails but I've found myself going to Rio Bravo every wednesday night riding MX. The bike does OK on the track... it does much better than I do, that's for sure.

What about a CR125 or CR250? I think the lightweight MX 2 strokes are easier to serve dual purposes with (track and trail).

I'm a noob myself, so consider that when reading my opinion. I'm VERY happy with my 08 KTM 250 xcw. I just wish I could find time to get out to the trails and ride what it was built for.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
switch
two fifty
 
switch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,237

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 10+











i picked up my 250f, and haven't looked back. mostly been riding Rio with Cdill and the gang, with a few trails here and there. can't wait to actually go out and explore on it. it'ls plenty of bike for what i need.
__________________
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
MAYH3M
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 23

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
xr100
crf80








Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_bacon View Post
Let me ask you this? How old are you, riding experience, weight? I started about a year and a half ago and I had (and still do) more of an interest for trail riding with a little track. Lately, I've been riding Rio Bravo a lot but still say I ride the majority of trails and hard scrambles and some track. Also like you I wanted a Honda and had a challenge due to my inseam as I wanted something I could touch with. I looked at the 150R and turned it down because its a pure race machine that is happy when its wide open. I looked at the 250f which fit me good but from everyone who I talked to I was warned against because its heavy and I was warned after a few months I'd be bored of the power range.

In the end I got a crf 250X which I love, no regrets. Its stock geared for trail riding although putting a 51 tooth sprocket and doing a few simple mods its opened up the power range so much more than stock and I love it. Perfectly geared for trails.... great for light track riding, and the best thing (IMHO) is having an electric start. Kicking gets old on the trails when you've dropped your bike and/or stalled out a few times. It adds a few lbs but well worth it in my opinion.

Feel free to come take my bike for a ride up at Rio sometime if you want.

Its a coincident you bring up that model. I just discovered honda had a "bada$$" trail bike today..the crf250x. The weight kinda drew me away, but it seems like I kind of have no choice if I want a size 250 in any model.

I'm 25yrs 5'9" at 203lbs give or take. The xr100 has shocked the out of me thus far but I want a little more. I was trying to go up like a 12 foot creek this past Friday evening and got stuck midway. After stepping back and seeing it stuck there, I was like how the was I trying to go up a creek on that little guy (should have taken pic).

I feel like a 250 may be just right for me.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
I wanted a motorcycle that was bad on the trails. I used a YZ250F in a hare scramble once and thought it sucked. After a lot of reading I decided that a KTM 250XCW was the way to go. It's light, nimble and baddest of all? Electric start and kick stand. I bought it thinking I was just going to ride trails but I've found myself going to Rio Bravo every wednesday night riding MX. The bike does OK on the track... it does much better than I do, that's for sure.

What about a CR125 or CR250? I think the lightweight MX 2 strokes are easier to serve dual purposes with (track and trail).

I'm a noob myself, so consider that when reading my opinion. I'm VERY happy with my 08 KTM 250 xcw. I just wish I could find time to get out to the trails and ride what it was built for.

KTM looks tough as nails honestly. I thought about a 2003 125 a while back on craigslist. I would prefer a 4 stroke though, not that it would entirely stop me from a good 2 stroke deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by switch View Post
i picked up my 250f, and haven't looked back. mostly been riding Rio with Cdill and the gang, with a few trails here and there. can't wait to actually go out and explore on it. it'ls plenty of bike for what i need.
Yup, I think a 250 any brand will be enough for me too. When I rode my crf80 and then bought an xr100, that small difference felt goooood. I can imagine a 250
MAYH3M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:21 AM   #6
TxSandman
My backpacks got jets
 
TxSandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Rosenberg
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 1,136

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 Buell XB12R, 07 KLR650






It's easy to make an MX bike a great trail rig, almost impossable to turn a trail bike into a great MXer.
TxSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:21 AM   #7
lostner
Senior Member
 
lostner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Spring, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 227

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
Husky sm450
CRF 450 Sold
'79 xr80
'91 HD w/turbo
2011 KTM 350sx






You can make a motocross be either, but you can't make a trail (play) bike be a motocrosser.
lostner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:24 AM   #8
dbuck
Stayin' Young
 
dbuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NW Houston BW8/290
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 19,636

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk









Send a message via AIM to dbuck
250 2 stroke. I've ridden several. had a 97 kx250....plenty fast. Currently on a 05YZ250....enough power to screw up your knee...and most recently ridden a 98 CR250....was plenty fast and light.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:35 AM   #9
duston98
Duston
 
duston98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Katy - Greyson Lakes
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 186

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
BMW S1000 RR
HD Dyna Street Bob
KX250F
Pitster Pro X4r
PW50






You're to old and to big for anything smaller than a 250. You would regret getting something smaller after a week of riding it. I've probably had over 30 dirt bikes since I started racing when I was 5 (I'm 32 now). I also enjoy trail riding very much, more than motocross these days. I ride a KX 250 (2 stroke) and love it. I also have a 2011 KTM 450 XCW that is more a hare scramble/enduro race bike. I'd take my 250 over it, if I had to choose one or the other.
duston98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #10
TxSandman
My backpacks got jets
 
TxSandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Rosenberg
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 1,136

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 Buell XB12R, 07 KLR650






If I was in the market I would jump all over this, down to 850$ this morning
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73582
TxSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:00 PM   #11
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts
 
houseofpaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Spring, TX
Feedback Rating: (7)
Posts: 9,486

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker


Member Garage





Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
me myself, i prefer riding an MX track over trails. i like trail riding as well, but i guess the road racer in me just likes how riding MX tracks and road courses almost go hand in hand.

if you get a honda, be sure to stay on the maintenance!
__________________
www.facebook.com/HouseOfPaintDesigns
Follow us on Instagram @hopdesigns

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #12
kdog22
Wheelie it son..
 
kdog22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: spring
Feedback Rating: (4)
Posts: 14,535

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpaint View Post
me myself, i prefer riding an MX track over trails. i like trail riding as well, but i guess the road racer in me just likes how riding MX tracks and road courses almost go hand in hand.

if you get a kawasaki or suzuki, be sure to stay on the maintenance!

Fixed that for ya
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
fkn kdogg just started staring at me like i'm bout to jump off this bike and murder some dave c. i was thinkin ok lets see what i did to this man to make him hate me and how fast can i run
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #13
TheVirus
Original OG
 
TheVirus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: West Side
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,737

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2001 SV650S
2009 *Secret*








Man, i haven't renewed my Rio Bravo membership for this year from the past year. Because the people i use to go out there with stopped going. If this many people still go, we need to get in contact and ride out there together/meet there for ride together (ill have a harder time doing as i totaled the truck and bought a Lexus Sport coupe) but ill hitch it with a small trailer.

I'm a 4 stroker ALL THE WAY. Yes 2 stroke can be very fun cause of the wild and crazy power bands. But i prefer the 4 stroke in any trail riding. Specially climbing around 75 degree slopes Lots of trail experience and i dabble in the MX tracks often. I would not say i do MX competitively but i enjoy it often. Just harder on the Bikes, Your maint. will be higher and more expensive on a KTM. Not by a big margin like Asian vs. European bikes. But you get the pictures. Just get a good 250 4 stroke with a bulletproof engine.
__________________
The First 48
TheVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:11 PM   #14
MAYH3M
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 23

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
xr100
crf80








The crf250x is looking real nice. Would a 2005 model with about 5 hours on it be worth 4k?

Yea I agree I am too old and "fat" to be screwin around on an XR100. I wonder how id handle rollin with the big dawgs at rio bravo
MAYH3M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:20 PM   #15
lostner
Senior Member
 
lostner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Spring, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 227

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
Husky sm450
CRF 450 Sold
'79 xr80
'91 HD w/turbo
2011 KTM 350sx






I have an '06 250x that I wish was worth $4k. I'd gladly sell it for that.
lostner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:34 PM   #16
Prothos
Senior Member
 
Prothos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Humble
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 974

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Huffy









i just recently got back into dirt. i picked up an KTM 250exc 2stroke that has been made street legal. i love the power of the bike. i have ridden on track and prefer trails. the suspension has been setup for a heaver rider like myself. i have to say the fit and finish of the ktm cant hardly be beat.
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:35 PM   #17
Prothos
Senior Member
 
Prothos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Humble
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 974

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Huffy









Quote:
Originally Posted by TxSandman View Post
If I was in the market I would jump all over this, down to 850$ this morning
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73582
i seen that bike if i had the extra cash i would jump on that deal
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #18
TomballD
Senior Member
 
TomballD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tomball
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 8,634

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80






KTM definetly uses more high end and quality parts, but you can't beat a 4 strike Honda for what you are looking to do. 4k seems a little hight for the 250x but I'd the hours are at 5 the thing is brand new!
TomballD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:10 PM   #19
CDN_bacon
Eh?
 
CDN_bacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: West Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 519

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
VFR800
CRF 250X








I paid $1900 for mine last year, '05. You can get them a lot cheaper but they are harder to find. Heck, get a trail bike and a track bike for $4k!
__________________
"Life is tough .... It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True Story" - Barney Stinson
CDN_bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #20
ltw9r
Tommie
 
ltw9r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Huffman,TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 80


Bike(s):
00 YZ426
02 XR100
00 XR50







Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_bacon View Post
I paid $1900 for mine last year, '05. You can get them a lot cheaper but they are harder to find. Heck, get a trail bike and a track bike for $4k!
thats what i think i need...
ltw9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:52 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy