MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #41
Bluestreak06
Maine-ah

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2011 Hayabusa
2006 GSXR-600 (sold)
1981 yamaha XS 650(sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
That's something your mom tells you when you're actually just ugly or fat and that's why the other kids pick on you.

The article even states that the majority of riders will never come close to the true performance capabilities of any of the bikes tested.

Can you be happy because the bike you like won the road test portion of a subjective magazine article? Sure.

Should anyone else really give a ? Probably not.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jin View Post
I don't WANT to ride a BMW. I'm glad you love their bikes so much but you don't need to work so hard to convince others to like them too.
Agreed. We're not bashing it, Im sure its a great bike....just not for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
If you don't shake it after you pee the terrorists win.
Ben C.
Bluestreak06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEW DUNLOPS FOR 2012 QBE Australian Superbike Championship Whoop Taking it to the Track 1 12-27-2011 07:06 PM
2012 Ducati Panigale - the Superbike has been redefined! TMPSW Team Mancuso Powersports SOUTHWEST 1 11-07-2011 06:49 PM
2012 Ducati Superbike Spyshots phiseph General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 06-02-2011 03:21 PM
Megyn gives the SMACK DOWN FKNA The Circus 13 07-15-2010 10:37 AM
Krugman needs a smack down ... logan5 The Circus 3 04-05-2010 04:24 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #42
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Samurai View Post
most of the stuff isnt as cheap as teh stuff so no need.
Cost determines need? That makes no sense at all.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #43
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1K View Post
it out performs my gsxr on braking with stock brakes and horse power completely stock.
couldn't the same be said of any 2011 litre bike vs your '09 gsxr? Off the top of my head I know the ZX10, RSV4, and 1198 make more power on paper.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 06-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #44
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)

The reason for the headlights is because the highbeam weighs less then the low beam, so they didnt need a big light. The fairings are different on the sides because of the cooling needed for each side of the engine.

The bike took function over form on things, but it worked out and makes it unique.
Neon Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #45
J.J. McQuade
DORC MEMBER

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ducati Multi-Strada 1100S
1993 Ducati 900SS (Designated Sweeper)
Acura NSX-T Type R

Member Garage

In talking with Andy from MV of Houston most European bikes tend to over-heat! When he explained why it made sense. These bikes are made in cooler climates in Italy and Germany and cannot deal with our heat and humidity as much! Now any bike can overheat in our summer heat; but do these bikes tend to over-heat more frequently compared to bikes?
J.J. McQuade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #46
Tony1K
CMRA #721

Feedback Rating: (20)

Bike(s):
2015 Aprilia RSV4 Factory Race Bike
2011 YZ450F Dirt
2015 Honda Grom

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
couldn't the same be said of any 2011 litre bike vs your '09 gsxr? Off the top of my head I know the ZX10, RSV4, and 1198 make more power on paper.
Possibly, I haven't ridden the other bikes. This thread was about BMW putting the smack down on other bikes, my gsxr has all the top of the line after market parts you can put on it, and the BMW stock is there if not better.

And off the top of my head the BMW put the smack down on all the bikes you listed, but I'm not here to argue just letting everyone know my comparison.
Tony1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #47
slowposer
pose slower

Bike(s):
bikeless :(

id love one in the stable...actually tried to buy one but the recall stopped all sales.
slowposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #48
Lucar

Member Garage

I bet any one here that would hit the lottery would have every horse in the stable
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #49
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterchild2 View Post
In talking with Andy from MV of Houston most European bikes tend to over-heat! When he explained why it made sense. These bikes are made in cooler climates in Italy and Germany and cannot deal with our heat and humidity as much! Now any bike can overheat in our summer heat; but do these bikes tend to over-heat more frequently compared to bikes?

Japan has a pretty mild climate too.

I'd wager that European machines are designed with a stronger focus on RIDING than sitting at stoplights, and thusly overheat. Having ridden several different euro bikes on track...I've seen no evidence that they run any hotter in that environ (the assumed intended one) than their japanese counterparts.

CMRA #302
Old 06-13-2012, 02:02 PM   #50
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
The reason for the headlights is because the highbeam weighs less then the low beam, so they didnt need a big light. The fairings are different on the sides because of the cooling needed for each side of the engine.

The bike took function over form on things, but it worked out and makes it unique.
The real reason is: BMW just wants it to look distinctive. They've been doing asymmetric headlights for a long time, and not one of them is what I would call classically beautiful. But you can pick it out of a crowd easily and tell it's a BMW even if it's blazing by at speed.

All this "my litre bike will spank your litre bike" makes little practical difference on the track, as the smallest difference in rider competency will overwhelm any performance difference in any of these bikes. On the street, with the average Biaggi-wannabe?? Ferggettaboutit!

But... these bikes are made for guys that love to talk smack. For that, the BMW definitely has a leg up... for now.

Me, I bought mine to feed my midlife crisis, not to see who can squirt his juice the farthest. I couldn't care less if it is the slowest of the litre bikes. Because it probably is.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #51
RustinR
250 rolling track chicane

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2003 Honda RC51
2011 Honda CBR250R (track bike)
1972 Kawasaki H2 Cafe Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
The real reason is: BMW just wants it to look distinctive. They've been doing asymmetric headlights for a long time, and not one of them is what I would call classically beautiful. But you can pick it out of a crowd easily and tell it's a BMW even if it's blazing by at speed.

All this "my litre bike will spank your litre bike" makes little practical difference on the track, as the smallest difference in rider competency will overwhelm any performance difference in any of these bikes. On the street, with the average Biaggi-wannabe?? Ferggettaboutit!

But... these bikes are made for guys that love to talk smack. For that, the BMW definitely has a leg up... for now.

Me, I bought mine to feed my midlife crisis, not to see who can squirt his juice the farthest. I couldn't care less if it is the slowest of the litre bikes. Because it probably is.
There you go talking all sensible and stuff....
Old 06-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #52
Bounce305
The Brasileiro!!!!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
08 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post

do you still have the RSV factory... i loved my 07.. its an amazing bike and comfy as well/
Old 06-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #53
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce305 View Post
do you still have the RSV factory... i loved my 07.. its an amazing bike and comfy as well/
Oh yeah. It's my weekend playbike... great for wiping clean the C14 taste, after commuting on it all week.

For me, it's more fun wondering all week what I could do, than actually doing anything with it come weekend. Half of the time, I am too busy to even ride on weekend. It's actually better than way. Every time I do ride it, I'm reminded of just how much I suck... and unworthy of such a fine machine.

It's like a 240Million$ jackpot ticket... better unchecked and kept on daydreaming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinR View Post
There you go talking all sensible and stuff....
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #54
coreyTLS

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
1998 Suzuki TL1000s
2000 Suzuki DR-Z400
1996 Kawasaki KX60
1980 honda CB900c bobber

props to bmw for winning all the shootouts, but still HELLA UGLY
Old 06-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #55
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyTLS View Post
props to bmw for winning all the shootouts, but still HELLA UGLY
I THINK ITS SEXY
Neon Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #56
jin

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000

Quote:
I THINK ITS SEXY
CWY86
jin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #57
GAU-8
official thread ender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterchild2 View Post
Talk about a off wife! They don't understand why we have to add all this stuff!
so why do you have to add all that stuff?

Sent from my Astromech Droid using Tapatalk
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #58
J.J. McQuade
DORC MEMBER

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ducati Multi-Strada 1100S
1993 Ducati 900SS (Designated Sweeper)
Acura NSX-T Type R

Member Garage

Well the stock cans on the R1 are hideous...so I upragred to the 2-Brothers Titanium Exhaust with the Juice Box, and K & N air filter. That was around $1400 for parts. Integrated tail light, flush-mount turn signals, license plate kit, ASV levers, R1 gel grips, R1 frame sliders and the R1 cushion seat! All that just to clean the bike up! So add all that up including labor that's around $2500. Almost every R1 owner changes most if not all of the things I mentioned above.
J.J. McQuade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #59
CBR_TRAN
Another Short Asian

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2007 Cbr600rr
1972 cb450 (cafe under construction)
2008 Kawasaki 250r (sold)

At the end of they day, its all a matter of personal opinion...
Old 06-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #60
Chuckster

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

All the horsepower in the world means nothing if you don't have the ability to use it.
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement